Home
Posted By: wildbill59 Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
Naw, there is no police state. If you have the equipment you must use it.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/okra-mistaken-pot-mans-garden/nhbHW/
"Channel 2�s Carl Willis called the Georgia State Patrol, who operates the task force, for an explanation. They sent an evidence photo.

"We've not been able to identify it as of yet. But it did have quite a number of characteristics that were similar to a cannabis plant,� said Georgia State Patrol Capt. Kermit Stokes."

Uh,.....one possible identifier is that it has OKRA PODS GROWING ON THE PLANT..!

We're in serious trouble when LE can't determine Pot from Okra at a glance...
Dayum, best take a match to the garden now, I guess...
Posted By: pak Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
Isn't this where the phrase "There otta be a law" started?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
In 74 the base police at the Mayport, FL Navy Base raided a base housing garden and kicked the family out of housing and off the base. The Dad was at sea, as commanding officer of one of the carriers. So, here is a Navy Captain, a CO of a carrier relieved of duty and flown back to base, his family booted off base. He was pissed to say the least and it went downhill from there. It was his okra they had seized and it got worse when he went to the base police office and found pot growing in the flowers around the flag pole in front of the office. If I remember right there were a bunch of job openings the next day.
Not really seeing the problem with this one. The story is written pretty vague, but it appears that they spotted it in a flyover, and had units respond to the scene. Once close enough to identify the plants, the officers apologized and left.
Hell 25 years ago the okra police kicked The door on old, and I mean old, neighbor lady who lived down in the wilbarger creek bottom. Allegedly spotted by NG Huey flying to Camp Swift! Culprit= OKRA In garden!
In mid eighties one poor unsuspecting little old lady here had her flower beds uprooted by drug enforcement!
All her pretty red fowers turned out to be Opium poppies. The real thing!
Posted By: RufusG Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
If growing okra isn't illegal, it probably should be. smile
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hell 25 years ago the okra police kicked The door on old, and I mean old, neighbor lady who lived down in the wilbarger creek bottom. Allegedly spotted by NG Huey flying to Camp Swift! Culprit= OKRA In garden!

I'm probably on the DEA watchlist then. I still have my stand of okra growing and producing. Over 8' tall now. Fried okra for lunch...

Wish the tomatoes were doing that well.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
dwayne sounds like a troublemaker. i'd given him a good stick beatin' and trashed his house for him.
I love okra but nobody else in my family does. There used to be a black food restaurant in town where I could go to get real okra and catfish. A lot of the professional football players ate there. Finally went away.
Posted By: g5m Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
That danged okra.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
Originally Posted by DesertSandman
In mid eighties one poor unsuspecting little old lady here had her flower beds uprooted by drug enforcement!
All her pretty red fowers turned out to be Opium poppies. The real thing!

When my sis-in-law bought their 1890's Victorian house we were up there on a visit so we went to look at it, needed a lot of work but was solid.

The backyard garden was full of opium poppies and she and her husband damn near stroked when I told them what they were. They were ripped out and mulched that afternoon. Can you imagine what the Illinois police would have done if they spotted them!

Now mind you they were probably there for years as there was a high hedge around the yard but I about shat my pants when I saw them, must have been hundreds.
This is exactly what happens when you give the government too much money!
Amen brother amen. Cheers NC
Several years ago, before I retired from a seed company, we were asked by the head office to grow a trial of castor beans. They're used in a number of medicines. Admittedly the leaves do have some resemblance to MJ. We made the mistake of planting them too close to the road and a number of people reported us to the cops. We had a couple visits from the county boys. They knew they weren't MJ at least. Both times they just a quick look and went on their way.
Posted By: Rovering Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/04/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

A country will always be run either for its best and brightest or for its worst and weirdest.

Their own natural ability takes care of the best and brightest and a nation run for them requires a very little government.

Their own natural inability makes the worst and weirdest a huge burden and a nation run for them requires a very big government.

Those in government are no less its dependents than those on its programs or others under its protection.

If we demanded that we cease running America for its worst and weirdest, some drug addicts might OD and some drug cops might starve; but the rest of us would be more free, more prosperous, and geezers could garden any damn way that they pleased.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I love okra but nobody else in my family does. There used to be a black food restaurant in town where I could go to get real okra and catfish. A lot of the professional football players ate there. Finally went away.

Golden Rule Cafe? I believe it is still open if we're talking the same cafe. Just east of 7 Street.....near Banc1 ballpark and the Suns court.
Great chow.....Sir Charles and other sports players used to eat there.
I found it in the late 70's when downtown Phx was part of my patch.....back when the old vegetable/fruit warehouses were along Jefferson and the Suns office was a small building on Central and Monte Vista (?)....south of the U-Haul bldg.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/05/14
Originally Posted by pak
Isn't this where the phrase "There otta be a law" started?

No, schit from shinola..
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Naw, there is no police state. If you have the equipment you must use it.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/okra-mistaken-pot-mans-garden/nhbHW/
If he had a dog on the property, it would be dead now.

The war on drugs: The gift that keeps on giving.

It's no one's business, least of all a government official's, what plants a person chooses to grow on his property to start with.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Abso-fricken-lutely! Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: pira114 Re: Okra growing now illegal? - 10/05/14
I can't believe they shot this man and his dog!
Originally Posted by rem141r
dwayne sounds like a troublemaker. i'd given him a good stick beatin' and trashed his house for him.

lol. He looked guilty from the air I guess. Fuggin clowns.

Some years ago I read about a young man (early 20s or so I believe) that was detained as a result of a customs or border agent or something discovering a white powdery substance in the man's possession. It was either in a baggie in his wallet or in a locket around his neck I believe. Anyway, despite his explanation that it was most assuredly not contraband he's taken into custody and detained under suspicion of narcotics possession and jailed pending lab results. Turns out the substance in question was a small amount of his grandmother's ashes that he carried with him...
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Golden Rule Cafe? I believe it is still open if we're talking the same cafe. Just east of 7 Street.....near Banc1 ballpark and the Suns court.
Great chow.....Sir Charles and other sports players used to eat there.
I found it in the late 70's when downtown Phx was part of my patch.....back when the old vegetable/fruit warehouses were along Jefferson and the Suns office was a small building on Central and Monte Vista (?)....south of the U-Haul bldg.

No, this one was on Mesa Drive/Brown in a strip mall. Just a little hole in the wall place with photos of about every black who's who in professional sports that came through Phx. Owner was very nice to me. I only ate there on duty.
© 24hourcampfire