Home
Posted By: northern_dave 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
I thought I'd post up a status on the first classic buggy to roll through my new business.

Here's the old Ford out in front of the shop before tear down.

[Linked Image]

coming apart

[Linked Image]

this quarter was bashed in and rusted through.

[Linked Image]

prepped and fit a new one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20140929_170110219_zps7a61058e.jpg[/img]

got an aftermarket spot light hole that needs to be filled.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20140925_155302971_zpse34e73b9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20140925_155430130_zpsfcccf3c5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20140925_163228546_zps8e7b7175.jpg[/img]
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
I love those old Galaxies.. Looking good Dave.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Veddy cool but you store moving boxes in the trunk? You need help...perhaps a hunt?
passenger lower quarter had issues too.

[Linked Image]

The outer wheel house had some swiss cheese also.

[Linked Image]

So, I cut that junk out too.

[Linked Image]

wheel house repaired.

[Linked Image]

prepped for repair panel.

[Linked Image]

Cut from this:

[Linked Image]

welded.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141028_145833311_zpsb23171b5.jpg[/img]

Posted By: Squidge Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
I really like these type of threads ND! cool
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Go Dave go
Some issues under the car.

these trunk floor supports, very common to rust, but nobody makes replacement braces.

[Linked Image]

So, I cut that chit out and made new ones for both sides of the rear support.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little nicer than what was in there.

[Linked Image]
Now for the real challenge... I dreaded even starting this mid trunk floor support.

[Linked Image]

Junk... where do you even start?

[Linked Image]

Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
keep the pics coming!
Well... luckily the "flats" where still pretty solid, as in the contact flanges that where factory pinch welded to the trunk floor skin.

So, I decided to try to salvage them and remove the rotted structure from the weld flanges.

[Linked Image]

Couple of voids there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sactoller Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
With a beer, would be my guess.
There's the center piece.

[Linked Image]

and the tapered LH piece.

[Linked Image]

Now I have to come up around this trunk floor radius.

[Linked Image]

I got the can opener out and pealed back the trunk floor skin. removed a chunk that had rust holes and pealed a solid piece open for more room to work from the top side.

[Linked Image]

I cut the thin brace metal back to solid edges, prepped for welding and fabbed a tricky piece of channel which I notch cut for the radius and then I fit it from inside the trunk. It worked out pretty well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141029_183716418_zpsb9127d0c.jpg[/img]

Tomorrow I will fab the ends for this mid trunk floor brace and install them from inside the trunk. Then I can patch the 4 or 5 Rusted areas in the trunk floor skin and move on to the next problem area.

Originally Posted by sactoller

or three. laugh
I'll smooth those welds and make things all pretty under there, right now I'm just happy to have the structure intact.

I think I'll blast the belly of this ford and hit it with a black epoxy, to keep it nice for another 50+ years.

Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by sactoller

or three. laugh

Having one now, but it was coffee and mt dew that got me through the day.

Amazing skills ND. Glad to see you doing what you love. Thanks for the visit yesterday BTW. Joe still has the perma-grin from his first venison harvest.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Great thread.

It serves the purpose of allowing us old lazy asses to live vicariously through someone who actually has enough gumption and talent to actually do something.

We can sit in the chair,...pull up the thread, look at the pics and say, "Yeah!,..I woulda done it just like that too!", while nodding our heads enthusiastically.
^^^^^ I'm still working on the old part (not much longer) but I have the lazy ass part down pat. smile

I love the fact that I can go for a short drive and see this magic happen first-hand. The threads make it all the better. It gives us something to inspire about.
well, it's my "day job" now so...

Hopefully this will move along a little faster than the old road runner thread. lol.

I have a 69 Mach 1 coming to the shop this week too.

Gonna be cool having a pair of iconic fords in my shop at the same time. (cool for me, cause I don't mind the Fords) lol.

I've done a lot of other stuff on the car, I just don't have pictures of every step, lol.

Some basic skin grafting:

[Linked Image]

This is another common 64 galaxie problem area. A body brace at the rocker level between the back edge of the door and the rear tire, traps dirt against the inside of the body skin and it rusts through.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

both sides needed this same patch, and one fender.

The welds were completed and sanded smooth of course, no picherz...

Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
What's the drivetrain gonna be?
Posted By: Squidge Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Sweet, I have been helping a friend with his 69 mustang fastback on and off for the last few months.
Posted By: rjpeacock Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
ND, love this thread. 64 Ford Galaxie 500XL like this was my High school and first car when married. Still kick my self for having to sell it. 390 and 4 speed. What stories that car could tell! Keep us up to date!
Originally Posted by teal
What's the drivetrain gonna be?

390 and a toploader 4 spd. XL interior (buckets)
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Holman-Moody Nascar.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ringman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
northern_dave,

I sure wish you well on your new business.

In 1964 I saw one of those at the drag races. It ran like it had a 427 so a few of us went to check it out. He was running a built 289 in the low twelves! Of course we were quite curious how he ran so hard. He said, "You rev it to seven thousand at the line and dump the clutch. When the tach hits nine grand you shift."
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Holman-Moody Nascar.

[Linked Image]

Like!
Originally Posted by Ringman
northern_dave,

In 1964 I saw one of those at the drag races. It ran like it had a 427 so a few of us went to check it out. He was running a built 289 in the low twelves! Of course we were quite curious how he ran so hard. He said, "You rev it to seven thousand at the line and dump the clutch. When the tach hits nine grand you shift."

A well built hi-po 289 is no joke.
I just leaked a little after looking at that pic. I need to go change my shorts now.
Oh I do love me some good old Ford muscle.
Posted By: safariman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
One of the best, coolest threads to come along in a good while! I will be watching this one, for sure.

BEST WISHES!
Posted By: add Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by safariman
One of the best, coolest threads to come along in a good while! I will be watching this one, for sure.

BEST WISHES!

Offer to buy it short, rat the tranny, then flip it...
I really admire you guys with the skill, know how...and patience to do this kind of thing. Hope the business does well!!
Holman-Moody Nascar.

[Linked Image]

I can't quite see the lettering on the door but #28 has to be Fred Lorenzen's old car.

I've always wanted a '64 Galaxie with a 427 NASCAR Tunnel Wedge.
Nice, ND. Been wondering about the whisky runner,
Posted By: shoot4fun Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Speaking of Galaxies..........

http://vimeo.com/20017992
Posted By: RDW Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Very nice!

How are you treating the rust on the back side of the panels and inaccessible locations?
interesting thread for sure. My younger brother is having a 1963 built up in Michigan where he lives. Body off the frame, all new parts, new electrical, 4 wheel disc brakes, 390 CID 335 HP engine, factory four speed, buckets.
Should be ready in a few months.
He traded in his 1964 Fairlane Thunderbolt with the 427 and tri power.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Brings back memories Dave.....grandfather gave me a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxy 500 XL when I was a teenager. Royal Burgundy with white leather bucket seats and the Thunderbird 390 engine! Spinner hubcaps to boot! grin

Let me tell you......as a Senior in High School owning a car like that was a pleasure.....that huge backseat area got even bigger when the bucket seats just flipped up out of the way..... wink

Posted By: KFWA Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
that's good work man. I see that stuff done on TV but your pictures give me a better appreciation of just how much hard work there is on this stuff.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Marvelous, simply marvelous. I wish I had those kinds of skills.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I have a 69 Mach 1 coming to the shop this week too.
Oooooooooo, don't tease me...

The Mach 1 or BOSS series, IMHO, are the sexiest Fords ever built..

Good work ND.. The pics showing the before/after are outstanding..
Originally Posted by RDW
Very nice!

How are you treating the rust on the back side of the panels and inaccessible locations?

It kind of depends on the location. I use a combination of products. Rust inhibitor products (paints) such as por15, eastwood rust encapsulator, rust bullet etc get used quite a lot under the car and inside these structure/support areas. I also use 2K high solids epoxy primer and in contact areas that get factory type spot welds (pinch welds) I use a zinc rich primer that can be welded through.

It pops and snaps when you start the weld but it does work and that way you have a coating on the steal in those sandwiched metal areas between and around spot welds/plug welds.

Dave, the guy building my brother's 63 Galaxie is well connected with that small group of folks that have Ford muscle parts. Body parts, engines and engine parts,( SOHC engines and some Boss 429s, as well as a bunch of 427s). Electrical wiring harnesses, gauges, factory dashboards, suspension stuff, rear ends, transmissions..........
If you get jammed up sourcing a specific part, let me know.
This one has not been restored, but it has been very well maintained. Belongs to a fellow I know here in town.
It's a 390, with automatic. Everything on it works perfectly, and it's his daily driver.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
That's awesome Sam!
My wife's uncle has a 1967 Galaxie 500 coupe fastback with a 390 in it. He bought it when he got back from Vietnam. It now has about 65,000 miles on it and he never took the plastic off the seats. The rear seats have never been sat in. It's never been outside his county. Crazy. I'm hoping to keep that car in the family. It looks like this one but in green with black top.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
DAMMIT Dave, you make me drool all over my keyboard.
Great thread on a great car. My brother had a '63 Galaxie convertible with the 352 two barrel, dual exhaust, buckets and automatic. Sweet ride.
Had a bud with one.
We put a set of 352 heads on his 390 and it was a screamer.
Had a c6 trans and a posi in the rear,it did some large smoke screams when wanted.

As for small block Ford engines,to me there is none better when it is wound up.
Put a ignition block switch to cut spark when shifting and watch the flames come out when you are doing fast runs at the drag strip. grin
Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Holman-Moody Nascar.

[Linked Image]

Dave - this is what I was talking about on facebook when I posted that picture of the Galaxie with the cammer in it.

Did NASCAR ever allow the 427 cammer in competition?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
passenger lower quarter had issues too.

[Linked Image]

The outer wheel house had some swiss cheese also.

[Linked Image]

So, I cut that junk out too.

[Linked Image]

wheel house repaired.

[Linked Image]

prepped for repair panel.

[Linked Image]

Cut from this:

[Linked Image]

welded.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141028_145833311_zpsb23171b5.jpg[/img]

Don't ya love that Minnesota Rust? I don't miss it one damned bit...

There is a bone yard down in Annandale MN that is 400 plus acres and is full of really cool old cars, minus all the rust on them...use to do a lot of business with them back when I lived in MN...

Cool project tho Dave...always liked those early to mid 60s Fords, Galaxies, XL500s etc...some darn cool engines with some high HP available...

by 68 tho, they had become kinda milk toast in the cool factor...
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
This one has not been restored, but it has been very well maintained. Belongs to a fellow I know here in town.
It's a 390, with automatic. Everything on it works perfectly, and it's his daily driver.
[Linked Image]

beautiful, thanks for the lead on parts too.

Originally Posted by teal
Holman-Moody Nascar.

[Linked Image]

Dave - this is what I was talking about on facebook when I posted that picture of the Galaxie with the cammer in it.

Yep, I knew what you was speaking bout. grin

Today I started with RH mid trunk brace and trunk floor.

[Linked Image]

The rotten stuff removed, new brace end welded in place.

[Linked Image]

Trunk floor over brace repaired.

[Linked Image]

A look from under the car.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
Looking good!

I always enjoy ND car threads.
Now for the passenger side, same area.

[Linked Image]

A look from the top.

[Linked Image]

A new arrival to the shop put the work on hold about mid day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The mach 1 was on the lift for a while so I could check it out and show the owner what we are going to have to do to it.

We have to do a LOT. lol!

It's been "fixed" before. With a gas axe and some angle iron scraps... sigh.

So, I get to un-fix before I can fix properly on that one. But I'm still super excited to have a 69 Mach 1 in the shop. They have a 390 for it, but the VIN shows it's a W code car, originally a 351 I believe.

I better get back out to the Galaxie, the RH trunk brace isn't going to grow back by itself.

(I know because I put some miracle grow on it last week and it didn't work)

that is awesome dave, I'm happy you get to do what you love.
I had a 62 falcon when I was in the Navy, sold it before moving home in 08. engine purred like a kitten but the body needed work. wish I still had it.
I drove right by your place today while equipment shopping. Now I'm kicking myself for not stopping by to have a look at those beauties.....
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/30/14
My phone is not downloading any pictures. I will have to check this tonight. My brother had a 64 Galaxie in high school. It had a 352, dual exhaust, 4 barrel carrb, 3 on the tree with overdrive.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
I love me a Galaxie but man, I can't wait until you start that fastback! I also want to see what you have to "unfix."
plasma whackin some junk out.

[Linked Image]

here the brace is in and the Frankenstein floor is being stitched back together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

bottom side

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little more skin grafting on the trunk floor and I can move on to.... different junk.

grin

Posted By: LBP Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
interesting thread for sure. My younger brother is having a 1963 built up in Michigan where he lives. Body off the frame, all new parts, new electrical, 4 wheel disc brakes, 390 CID 335 HP engine, factory four speed, buckets.

Holy Crap he traded off a T-Bolt... shocked cry
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
Great pictures. My brother's was white. It was his first car, he got it around 1973.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
Great work Dave!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
Awesome thread. My grandmother had a black 64 Galaxie so this is like a trip down memory lane. Keep up the good work!
Originally Posted by LBP

Holy Crap he traded off a T-Bolt... shocked cry

yeah, it was just too much for a daily driver. Lots of horsepower, a tricky automatic trans, no amenities. Living in Michigan, it did not do well in ice and snow, and spent half the year in the garage.
Boy did it run though. shocked
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
Yes they were. I love them T-Bolts, my favorite car.

Wes's TBolt is greatly detuned, but still has more than enough juice. The fellow building the '63 Galaxie is trading for the Fairlane, and throwing in $6K to boot.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tzone
I love me a Galaxie but man, I can't wait until you start that fastback! I also want to see what you have to "unfix."

Lots of structural fixing to un-fix. frame rails scabbed together, floor pans poorly fit, Wheel house, trunk extension panels home made, not done very nicely.

It was prob all done around 25 yrs ago. There are nice repop panels and frame rails made for the car these days. I'll have it tore down pretty far to get it right. I'll need to reference chassis drawings to get it all straight.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
dave i don't think that old that had that Holman Moody 427 cobra jet ever sold it.
Oh?
Good stuff Dave...if I don't sell the house & go nomadic, I'll be looking at doing an old Willys Wagon (4 wd type)in the near future.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 10/31/14
Great thread.

It serves the purpose of allowing us old lazy asses to live vicariously through someone who actually has enough gumption and talent to actually do something.

We can sit in the chair,...pull up the thread, look at the pics and say, "Yeah!,..I woulda done it just like that too!", while nodding our heads enthusiastically.

"Old Lazy Asses!"Yeah Right I've seen some of the work that's come out of your shop in your spare time posted here over the years and you definitely don't fit that bill.
OK...it's been long enough....you getting this car finished before Christmas?
Hunting has been a distraction. lol.
You just need to make up some paint that smells like corn or apples and they will come to you while you work.....you can thank me later...grin
Its been a lot of dirty work lately. Blasting the belly of the galaxie so it can me coated with epoxy/undercoated.

[Linked Image]

I brought part of my personal fleet of project cars home on Monday this week.

[Linked Image]

The red one on the trailer is too far gone with rust, it's a donor for the car I'm building.

it's giving up it's XL interior..

[Linked Image]

This will be cleaned up, repaired and recovered with factory reproduction pleated red vinyl.

The red donor car also puked out it's 50 yr old power plant yesterday.

[Linked Image]

The top loader 4 speed is going into the project car, I'll keep the 390 for one of my personal projects.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 11/20/14
Keep the pics coming grin
The shock crossmember on the project car had been gas axed and poorly modified. So I cut the good crossmember out of the parts car (top) and changed it out with the "modified one" (bottom)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here's some of the handiwork from a previous owner.

[Linked Image]

and now.

[Linked Image]
i bet you find a lot of interesting shi, shi, stuff on the project cars you take in!
Yeah, I find some neat stuff. Nothing of value yet, for the mist part its mouse piss soaked seat stuffing wadded into the most interesting places imaginable. I pulled a 3 spd trans today off the project car and the bell housing was stuffed full of mouse filth. I mean even the clutch is wadded full, freaking gross.

I drove that car before tearing it down, would have never known the clutch was wadded full of mouse house insulation.
You could toss those mouse reengineered products into various places around your property to save them some work. Cars, trucks, garages, ice houses and the places could be endless!
So... Did some stuff.

Here's the trans cleaned up.

[Linked Image]

Those nasty seats, gonna look like this (left)

[Linked Image]

Trunk, ready for primer and paint.

[Linked Image]

These g'damn rockers. Some torch wielding bubba cut out 4 sections of rocker to mount a set of side pipes. What a butcher job.

[Linked Image]

Square up the torch cut with the grinder.

[Linked Image]

Fit and tack the inner rocker repair.

[Linked Image]

Form and fit the outer, mig weld it all, join the 2 with spot welds.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20141204_143826444_HDR_zpsdfoo8srs.jpg[/img]

Create the dimples under each spot weld like the factory did 50 yrs ago.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141204_161010479_zpsmlqdiqvw.jpg[/img]

Been a lot more stuff fixed, but I haven't been good to take pics of it all. Too damn busy. Lol
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
Looking great Dave!
Amazing craftsmanship.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
there is more room in that trunk that there is in my Tahoe....

Posted By: EdM Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
Looks great. Are you done with the tranny?
Undecided. I have some cast blast paint for it but I can't bring myself to painting over the factory stencil and other paint markings from 50 yrs ago. I may just clean it a bit better and shoot a coat of matte clear on it to preserve the factory appearance.

But the shifter mech has been gone through, cleaned and greased, super smooth.

The belly of the beast has been blasted and black epoxy coated.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
decided i'm going to sell the hemi parts i have and build a monster 12 valve cummins to put in my polara.
Looking good Dave, Glad to see you back at it, been awfully quiet around with No Dave.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
decided i'm going to sell the hemi parts i have and build a monster 12 valve cummins to put in my polara.

Are you joking?

Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Looking good Dave, Glad to see you back at it, been awfully quiet around with No Dave.

I been busier than 3 cats fawking in a wool sock.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
no, i think it would be cool and different.
Originally Posted by Ringman
northern_dave,

A well built hi-po 289 is no joke.

Those 260/289 Fords were a real suprise as stock units. The factory built HP289's really did not require tach's........just shift when the ears itched. The advertised 271 hp was somewhat under rated. Very strong engine! I've had several.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
I was talking to a guy back in the day who had a HP289 Mustang that surprised a lot of people street racing. I asked him what rpms he was turning when he shifted from first to second. He said, I don't know, "when I'm in front."
Posted By: djs Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/05/14
The '64 Galaxy was a really attractive car.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
no, i think it would be cool and different.

It'll be bad ass either way.
Another g'damn torched out rocker section repair.

Before:

[Linked Image]

Cutting the back piece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One more to go.
Dave....Wow! Keep on keepin' on!

Dan
Starting with a small patch this morning just ahead of the RH rear wheel.

[Linked Image]

Using a few different tools to pull this cavity.

[Linked Image]

Spot welds are loose.

[Linked Image]

A combination of cutting wheel and air recip,

[Linked Image]

And we're loose.

[Linked Image]

Cut and shape a patch piece.

[Linked Image]

Clean it all up.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141209_083458797_zpsoeemittz.jpg[/img]

Tack

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141209_083821204_zpscyf4lurr.jpg[/img]

Weld and grind.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141209_091809350_zpsqk1nikhx.jpg[/img]
Repaired the last of the 4 torched out rocker sections.

[Linked Image]

And one last little rust hole area, belie the back corner of drivers door, near the lead seam.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the last of the metal work on this ford. Time for body work.
Posted By: sactoller Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/10/14
You do nice work Dave!

Thanks for posting...keeps me going on my old Heep CJ5. smile
when I read Dave's car rebuild threads, I just hear ole George in my head

Dave's bad to the bone

ACME auto werks is up and runnin

happy for you Dave, but have you thought about welding an outdoor furnace into that cavernous truck?

yaknow just so you don't miss the old gig too bad (grin)
Posted By: selmer Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/10/14
Aren't the band-aids supposed to be blue to match your tape?
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/10/14
I like Dave's work, but you knew that!
Originally Posted by selmer
Aren't the band-aids supposed to be blue to match your tape?

I do appreciate a good zinger.

grin

Guess I'll have to get a roll of blue tape just for leaky fingers and such.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/11/14
I am kinda surprised they weren't Disney Bandaids laugh
Little mermaid.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/11/14
I just could not say Mickey Mouse
I was able to swing by and take a little look at ND's magic today. Glad to see talent like that make good on his skills. Good to see that ND isn't being held back anymore. Keep going forward bud!
Thanks WB, and thanks for swinging in while you were in the neighborhood.
Posted By: SlimShady Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/11/14
Awesome thread Dave. Takes me down memory lane as my first car was a classic brown 69 ford galaxie. God that thing sucked some gas! But I sure had a lot of fun in it! My granny had a white 68 that would FLY! I think I saw my life flash before my eyes a few times. My uncle and I called it the white ghost. Keep up the good work restoring a classic ride!
Well, it's on to body work. I'm leveling panels today, I hope to be in primer on Saturday.

I received a few new blocks this week, a couple of them are these AFS blocks, this one is a 21" block, I have a 16" just like it and a couple of new dura blocks, one round and one semi round. These big blocks area really nice for leveling a 7' long quarter panel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They have a spring steel face for PSA paper and they have 3 removable spring rods so you can adjust the amount of flexibility you need.

It's not fun, but it's going well.

I'll leave the car on the lift until I get both quarters blocked. It's nice to be able to adjust the height of the work.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/11/14

It's not fun, but it's going well.

It's got to be a little more fun than before you had all the cool tools..no?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/11/14
Even with cool tools, sanding a fairing sucks.
The odds of faster success are more in my favor with the new tools. But my arms.... They be hanging tired. Lol.

I feel like I'm back in boot camp doing a couple hundred pushups a day.

I'm going to end up strong as a side effect of this new job. Lmao.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Looking good!

I just don't have the patience for sanding and fairing, especially when I get a little impatient, go a little too far or with too rough of grit, and am back where I started, or a bit further back.

That and I don't think any power tool is going to give as good a finish as a good long board as the power tools don't give you the feedback a board does.
I wish I could say it came easy for me.

Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Excellent progress and some real tough, grit it out work. I got rid of my last project, heart just wasn't into it and my partner was sucking the life out of me.

Little brother a bit south of you just picked up a 50 Hudson Pacemaker...kind of has that lead sled look.

Still lots of 70ish pickups out here if you want me to round you up a semi load!
Posted By: Bill_55 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Love the pictures of your work. You are a true artist.
Bill
There are lots of little fixes that go un noticed on these cars but they are all important. Window function is one of them. The side window mechanisms were a mess on this car, I've rebuilt much of that already but just yesterday I did a technical "how to" for a guy with a wing window problem over on a ford forum. I had the same problem he was asking about, it was on my "to do list" so I went through one of my wing window actuators for him with pictures yesterday.

Here, check it out.

There's the loose plate that's causing the problem. Someone forced the crank at some time in the past 50 years and the mechanism grenaded inside the door. The worm gear drives the retention plate off the end of the housing.... "and the dang window never did shut right after 1971 when bubba ternt the crank too hard..."

[Linked Image]

in this case it's so loose I can swing it to the side.

[Linked Image]

With the plate not in place like it's supposed to be, the worm gear can just screw itself out the back side of the housing rather than to deliver rotating force to the wing window shaft.

[Linked Image]

I cleaned things up and packed the gear housing with new grease.
[Linked Image]

I also greased the inside of the plate where it contacts the and locates the end of the worm gear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now for the rivet boss, it's still a bit flared out so the plate wont just slip back over the top of it. So, we'll have to reduce it's OD a bit.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141211_113442829_zpsx58mbjrm.jpg[/img]

I used a regular slip jaw pliers. I squeezed (gently) on the OD of the rivet and rotated the pliers. I'm trying to squeeze the rivet boss back into a round shape without removing material from the OD. I did get a bit of shaving action on the OD due to the serrations on the pliers.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141211_113511870_zps5w23fmie.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20141211_113644983_HDR_zpscii16hjc.jpg[/img]

now the plate goes back into place easily with the rivet bosses protruding through the plate retention holes.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20141211_113712629_zpsqlu1wakz.jpg[/img]
Before staking, it's a good idea to clamp the plate to the housing with a bit of pressure, reasonable pressure, you don't want to crush or break anything.

[Linked Image]

Notice I'm clamping to the housing, not to the worm gear shaft.

[Linked Image]

Next I took the assembly over to a vise. I grabbed an old axle stub end for use as a rivet buck. You can use the corner of the vice or what ever you can make work.

I'm resting the opposite side of my rivet face against the "buck"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now it's just a matter of recreating that flared/expanded rivet shape. I'm going to tighten both rivets while I'm at it. I actually started with the pick end of one of my body hammers, because it happened to be within arms reach and it had the right shape.

I would suggest starting with a blunt tipped centering punch to get the initial flare shape started. Then you can finish off the job with a small ball peen hammer.

[Linked Image]

There ya go.

[Linked Image]

I'm tellin ya, that thing is silky smooth now, it's going to work like new.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Neat pictorial Dave! Keep it up please!
Posted By: Wtxj Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Well ND your missing the boat just a little.

Shaw's Journal blog is what I'm talking about or a web site with the progress.
Needs to be copyrighted as you go.

Keep it up here also, but you really need to look into that.
No telling where that might go as time goes by.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/12/14
Very nice Dave, I love your attention to detail. That is what sets a craftsmen apart from a mere mechanic.
Attention to detail????

I've worked with this man on some very large and detailed projects over the years and "detail" is an understatement. There wasn't a screw unturned before we brought the project to the powers to be.

Sooooo glad to see ND unchained. I hope that wasn't copyrighted. smile
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/13/14
The fact that you took the time to fix something 99.9% of classic car owners and even car lovers would have lived with is why I am 100% sure you're going to be a success in your business.

Well done Dave.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/13/14
The fact that you took the time to fix something 99.9% of classic car owners and even car lovers would have lived with is why I am 100% sure you're going to be a success in your business.

Well done Dave.

This in spades. Makes me embarrassed to admit how many of those little things I let go instead of fixing!

"Unchained". Good descriptor.
I think you guys are all drunk.

But thanks anyways.

lol!

These pre 65 bodies on full sized cars... they really test a bodyman.

I wanted to be rolling this car into primer this morning. But after several days of glazing panels and block sanding by hand, it's not ready yet.

So, back out to the shop I go this morning.

Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/13/14
But you will get-er-done!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/14/14

Well done Dave.

Right on!
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/14/14
Northern Dave Unchained.....a new and upcoming movie title ?
Getting really close to my first round of primer

[Linked Image]
Nice,..looks like you worked all the wrinkles out..

What color will she end up.?
"Inferno red metallic"
Got a color swatch? laugh
Like this?

[Linked Image]
I reckon so.

Almost "Gimmee a ticket" red!
Prepping engine bay for prime/paint.

[Linked Image]
You must have loved jigsaw puzzles as a kid...

It would take me quite a while to put all that crap back in there like it was...

I guess that's something that you get better at as you do it.?

This for your ma, right.?
Yep, she didn't ask for the engine bay or engine detailing. I figure its a decent Xmas present. Well, I don't know if its decent, but its a present. Lol.

It sure as hell ain going to hurt the value of this buggy.

As for puzzles..... No, never was much for puzzles. I was always too busy tearing something apart to see how it worked.

grin
Somehow seeing the finished product brought back to life makes all the pain and effort, of removing years of abuse, worth it.

It's gonna come right down to the wire, but I think I'll get her finished in time.

You have never seen an undercarriage with carbon buildup like this one had on it...

Yep,..(long sniff)..I know the pressure us restorers come under this time of year to get things completed by Christmas.

[Linked Image]

Top side wasn't too bad...

[Linked Image]

I would have hooked it on a log chain behind the truck and drug it down the gravel roads. Looks like about an 8 pack job if 2 operators are utilized.
See where I'm going with this?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/18/14
My 67 Mustang would look good with that much skilled labor applied.

Methinks sticker shock would be to much for my old heart.
Might not be as bad as u think.

Or, it might be worse that you think, lol! I dunno.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/18/14
Dave,

What all kind of vehicles do you work on? Any imports?
I guess classic domestic is kind of my thing.

Why do u ask?
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/18/14
Cool, primers start then more sanding, then........... I love your attention to detail Dave. You do some of the finest work I have ever seen Sir.
Posted By: LBP Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/18/14
I'm kinda looking around for a 79-83 Toyota 4x4 pickup and figured it will probably need some work.
Those basically melt up here in the dslt belt. I look south and west for non rusty anything I guess. Lol

I've been squeezing the trigger on this old war horse on the right for 2 decades. Its sprayed all kinds of primers, enamel, laquer and urethane single stages, base coats, clears...
I have better guns I guess, but I sure like that old siphon rig.

So, I decided to set one up with a modern cup system and see how I like it. Should be sweet for flipping upside down for rockers and other tricky areas.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Epoxy is on, mixing the poly
Nice...

You're at the stage where everybody quits around here...

Nothing like primer grey and red vehicles.

laugh

I was wondering what you'd do with those cross members under the engine compartment, didn't know if they got painted or not..

It will get satin finish black soon, which will match the under side of the car.

Stirring polyester primer is like mixing one of those big pool hall chalk blocks with a qt of 30 wt oil.

Mix until smooth.

Enjoying this.
Boom chica-wow-wow.

[Linked Image]
Mad skeeelz!
ok. Almost done. Slap that engine and windshield in then we'll roll! smile
Block sanding starts again in the morning.

[Linked Image]

The next one is shedding paint in the hoist bay.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Uh-oh. I see a spot.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
Wow, even have an ape, I mean apprentice for the bull work. Super Dave, just super.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Uh-oh. I see a spot.

I see lots of spots, lol. There will be blocking and more bodywork, one more round of primer before I shoot color.

grin
That tallest boy kid of yours will be heads above the others when he hits the full-time employment market.
Can I call dibs on him yet?
If so, I did. smile
Been working on a 49 ford convertible. Two of us working on it for 2 years off and on. It took you a month what took me a year.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
That tallest boy kid of yours will be heads above the others when he hits the full-time employment market.
Can I call dibs on him yet?
If so, I did. smile

I'm paying that boy pretty good and for a good reason! I need to keep him around! You can't find workers like this boy anymore!

Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Been working on a 49 ford convertible. Two of us working on it for 2 years off and on. It took you a month what took me a year.

49 ford cool. 49 convert, uber cool!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
best thread going,..
Earl Scheib doesn't have crap on N. Dave.!

When can we expect satellite branches.?

wink
Originally Posted by T LEE
Wow, even have an ape, I mean apprentice for the bull work. Super Dave, just super.

Hey T, check out the pics of that ape boy. Notice the hoist arms are off the floor? He's evolved to the point if using a car hoist to lift himself high enough to sand the roof of a car. Lol!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
This is coo foo!

Hey T, check out the pics of that ape boy. Notice the hoist arms are off the floor? He's evolved to the point if using a car hoist to lift himself high enough to sand the roof of a car. Lol!

[Linked Image]

I noticed that and whether it was you or him, he has been taught well. If he ever has the urge to sling dirt with an excavator or plow over trees & houses with a dozer, I have a spot for the young chap. A fine young man you have raised there ND.

The cars are looking great now that I've tossed out my plug. smile

"ND Unchained" (I'm working on a copyright) will never be out of work.
Posted By: mathman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
What he does do is awesome, but he's not unchained until he starts warming up the motors too.
best thread going,..

Ya done being grumpy? grin
Originally Posted by mathman
What he does do is awesome, but he's not unchained until he starts warming up the motors too.

ND is a motorhead and very capable of giving one of these great old muscle cars a great tune (or complete overhaul). The detail doesn't stop with the bodywork. That said, I'd love to build up a BBF or SBF for one of his rigs. I love me some displacement but have zero talent for making a ride look good.
Posted By: mathman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
I know he's a motorhead, that's why I'm poking him to do some. grin
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
best thread going,..

Ya done being grumpy? grin

Oh,....probably not.

I'm usually not nearly as grumpy as I may appear on an internet forum, however.
That's good!

Enjoy your KY weekend.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
Projects are looking good Dave......
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by White_Bear
If he ever has the urge to sling dirt with an excavator or plow over trees & houses with a dozer,

I have that urge every day of my life!

grin
Posted By: Snorkel Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
My first car was a 64 Galaxie.It was white with red interior, 4 door 390 2 bbl with an FMX automatic. Loved that car. I graduated to a 1968 Torino with a hopped up 302 a few years later. That was a great car too, but I still miss the Galaxie
More pictures!
Not everybody cares for the slab sides galaxies, I do though. I think they are nice cars.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
More pictures!

[Linked Image]

Nothing too exciting today, just a guy on a roller stool, with a bunch of sanding blocks, carefully shaving off everything that isn't a perfectly straight 64 ford.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: goalie Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
I have "Shop Envy" bad.

Awesome thread though.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 12/19/14
No dummy that lad. Tell him to be of good cheer though he will out grow it. I STILL have to do that! smile smile
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/09/15
Dave must be ice fishing!!!!
I have been, and I'm going again tomorrow.

Some base

[Linked Image]

Some clear

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I been working like mofo, on that ford
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Dave must be ice fishing!!!!

Yes..

Making fish meat

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bubbajay Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/09/15
gawdamit meat comes from fish to............my wife is gonna be pizzed.

smile
going to catch some more fish meat now, later dudes.

when we see more color on that car dave, looks great. where you been fishing. i need to get out.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/09/15
That is gonna be some ride!
Those FE Fords were haulers.
The bodywork is great. I have no such skills. But lets hear about the engine. It does not make for a lot of pics, but it will make it run!!!
nothing special about the engine. we just cleaned it up and painted it to make it look better under the hood. put a bunch of new gaskets and a few other do-dads on it. It's a 352 FE 4 barrel, compression test looked decent, it ran good before we pulled it, it was just ugly and was starting to leak a little.

So we pulled it, cleaned it up, painted it black as a 64 engine would have been. our blue for the tins is too dark, I realize this but we're going with it. (gives us something to tinker with later)

Changed the pilot bushing on back side of the crank yesterday, waiting for the correct clutch kit to arrive. They sent me a diaphragm style pressure plate and I want a lever style for this one. Should be here today.

we plan to install the clutch, pressure plate, then bell housing, starter, then drop it in the car before bringing the trans to the bell housing.

I'm redoing some of that red stuff today whistle blush

didn't go the way I wanted it to. I followed the instructions on the can which said no reduction required. I printed the TDS for the products yesterday and they read quite different than the directions on the cans.

So, now we know that....
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/13/15
OK Dave, but MORE pictures PLEASE.
It's just the same stuff T. Nothing really new to show, The red base and clear sprayed out a lot better for me this morning in the trunk and door jamb areas that I had to respray though.

Hard to get a picture of a color, but it sprayed out a lot nicer for me this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/13/15
That looks good ND.
That's sweet,..nice color selection.
Posted By: kend Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/13/15
I stopped to pick up a u-bake pizza for the game last night and there was a white 64 Galaxie 500 2dr HT parked out front. It was 100% original and I couldn't see a dent on it. There was a lady there that was in her 70's and I asked her if it was hers. She said it was and that she had had it for 50 years. I asked her if people try to buy it very often and she said they did most every day.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/13/15
Thanks for the update Dave. I'm jealous on ALL levels.

Your theads singlehandedly balance out the B.S. side of the Campfire. Keep it up.
Oh man, Arrest Me Candy Red.
You're only going to drive at night, right?
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/14/15
Looking good
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's pretty sweet...

Darker than I was expecting, nicely surprised.
Those are cell phone pics, sorry for the crap photo quality. I'm dog ass tired. Lol.

Bunch of wet sanding and buffing ahead of me now.

Plus I still have the hood, doors, trunk lid, cowl...
Non cell phone pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/16/15
Definitely sweet looking!
Posted By: GeoW Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/16/15
Just damn!!!
Lookin good. Do you have an anticipated completion date?
soon.

I have more painting to do, doors, hood, trunk lid etc. and wet sanding/buffing. and reassembly, which is awesome because its more funner.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/16/15
Drooling here!
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/16/15
I'm loving that color!!

Fantastic work Dave!!
Thanks, Tom.

Sorry I wasn't much for chit chat yesterday, I was on a mission to get that red and clear on the car. I was in the shop till around 9 last night.

Very nice Dave, you are a master. that looks great! keep it up! cant wait to see more...
[Linked Image]
Mom is going to be very happy!
The FE is back in its nest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/16/15
I'm loving this car more and more with every post! Looking great Dave!
I did snap a few pics with a better than cell phone cam today too. lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and a before shot, from similar angle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
New shot is much better!
How do you lean all over those fenders, hooking the powerplant up and not end up with a scratch somewhere.?

I could easily see a metal brad on the jeans F'n up everything...I'd be too scared...
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
I like the looks of the white car hiding behind the old galaxie. What is the story on it Dave?
Stay tuned for that one. Going to be a huge project. The far car is next after this 64 ford though. White car is a 69 Mach 1
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
That is kinda what I thought. Good work on the old Galaxie Dave she is really gonna shine. My old race Mentor had 63.5 427 2-4 4spd that he bought brand new. Sadly he passed a year or so ago. His son still has it nice old car runs well. Probably never see the light of day now though.
Posted By: jpb Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
How do you lean all over those fenders, hooking the powerplant up and not end up with a scratch somewhere.?

I could easily see a metal brad on the jeans F'n up everything...I'd be too scared...

Northern_dave only works in the nude.

John
correct.

need some pictures?

grin

Posted By: jpb Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by jpb

Northern_dave only works in the nude.

John

correct.

need some pictures?

grin

Errrr, no, I'm good.

I am pretty sure that all the requests on this thread for more pictures are regarding the car, not you. wink

John
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
ND: I was watching the Barret Jackson auction yesterday, they reckoned the 64 Galaxie to be the ultimate muscle car.

You'll be rich soon! laugh
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
I'm still lobbying for the reverse teardrop hood scoop!

Hood scoops sell cars! smile
correct.

need some pictures?

grin

No thank you.

We don't need another giraffe neck roast thread. grin
Originally Posted by Akbob5

I think I'm the only guy in the country that can't stand those hood scoops. I know the were factory Ford on the T-bolts, but not cup of tea I guess.
Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by Akbob5

I think I'm the only guy in the country that can't stand those hood scoops. I know the were factory Ford on the T-bolts, but not cup of tea I guess.

I don't care for them either. Much prefer a clean deck/hood.
me too, smoove, stealthy...
Dave that color does pop.

Will be hard to slip it past the feds on a run now.

Looking good!
What are you doing for exhaust on the Galaxie Dave?
Its actually got split duals with a crossover, skinny pipe but it sounds good.

Posted By: mathman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/18/15
Even choked through the cast iron manifolds? grin
Posted By: willflow Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/18/15
Awesome work man. I picked up a 67 fastback that sat for 25 years in Tucson last year. I got the 390 going and fixed the brakes but she's a long way away from being anywhere close to that one.
I have some experience with the 12 valve and have thought about that for a long time. I have to agree about the tear drop too, not on any of my cars. My car was brittney blue with a whimbleton white painted top and she's going back to those colors some day. Keep it up!
Posted By: EdM Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/18/15
That coil needs a shot of black IMO.
I agree, its an eyesore.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
Lookin good man!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
I chit you not one ounce,...TV sponsors will pay to have stuff like you're doing televised.

It's going on already, and there's not a hell of a lot of people who throw themselves into it like you do.

Your skills, your family, and your story is plenty enough to base a reality TV show on.

Seriously, dude,...you need to look into it.

I wish I knew who to turn you to, but I don't. I'd guess that a first step would be to contact a local news station, tell them the story of how you financed your shop with the restoration of that Roadrunner, then show them what you're doing with it.

You've got a story, (from way back) a set of skills, and an ongoing series of projects that "manly" types will tune in to watch on TV.

I'm tellin' ya. You get in touch with the right people and take on the right projects, there's some big money to be made.

The big thing you got going for you is the ability and the willingness to do stuff like this. From a TV perspective, you've got a nice looking family that jumps in and does their part,...and you've got the story of the Roadrunner that made it all possible, as well as the Mustang that you built for Weezy which promptly got wadded up.

People will pay for your story, man. You've just got to find the right people to present it to.

It's going on every day.

You might as well get your piece of it.
This could be the first episode,...call it, "Marine Christine"

Restore a '58 Plymouth Fury with a 413 in it with dual 4 barrels and a posi track 9" Ford read end.

The crowd will go wild when you kick it sideways while doing a smoky burnout as the credits roll.

,...and the sponsors will pay the cost of the restoration and give you a big payday on top of it.

[Linked Image]
Or,...if Steven King kicks about it, you could just call it "Marine Four Thirt-TEEN.
Posted By: add Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
Lots of tatts or ZZ Top style beards for ratings.

Bristoe is onto something here, Dave.

Better have your people check into it.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
Snork! His people... grin

His people are his family and they b building hot rods man... Go Dave go!
smile

Better than pretend people!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15

I think Bristoe is on to something too Dave.

If you can get televised, and get "AJ" Janic to work for you....I'll work for you for free..... grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sactoller Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by ingwe

If you can get televised, and get "AJ" Janic to work for you....I'll work for you for free..... grin

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking she needs to be a read head! Mucho betta!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Can she handle the, um, tool?
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
I'd watch that any day over the bearded monkey and the arrogant dickhead on Fast N Loud!
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/19/15
Lol. I like that show but it's wore out I its welcome.

Now...let's get back to posting those pics!!
This could be the first episode,...call it, "Marine Christine"

Restore a '58 Plymouth Fury with a 413 in it with dual 4 barrels and a posi track 9" Ford read end.

The crowd will go wild when you kick it sideways while doing a smoky burnout as the credits roll.

,...and the sponsors will pay the cost of the restoration and give you a big payday on top of it.

[Linked Image]

That's bad ass.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I can only take so much "wooooooooo!"

Alright guys, I have to get out to the shop. Still don't have a computer hooked up out there so I do my parts ordering and research on the house office computer.

I did some experimenting with wet blocking and buffing a section of a quarter panel yesterday, I hated that clear for spraying but it does cut and buff nicely.

I think today's focus will be trunk lid and hood. The hood has some issues, it will keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement guys. The tv show stuff is maybe a little bit fun for a little while, but I have a feeling they would rub me the wrong way, digging for drama, scripting fake conflicts etc... If I could do a straight forward show, honest life with no scripted bullshit it would be ok.

But for now I'm just focused on 2015, and trying to make it a break out year. I want to prove that I can support the family with this business. I need to continue to develop my processes, keep looking for products that work well for me... stuff like that. Because if products are working well for me then the customer is getting more efficiency and quality for his dollar.

OK, enough jibber jabber, time to get crackin.

Having worked, played and BSed with you for the last 10 years on a daily basis, I'd have to say that a TV show could never do justice to your story.

Keep pumping them cars out ND.

I have a yellow looking track machine that should be rolling out of the shop for the weekend.

Maybe it and the yellow "Snow Hammer" can meet up and do what they do best.

Time for me to get "crackin" to!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/20/15

I can only take so much "wooooooooo!"

Alright guys, I have to get out to the shop. Still don't have a computer hooked up out there so I do my parts ordering and research on the house office computer.

I did some experimenting with wet blocking and buffing a section of a quarter panel yesterday, I hated that clear for spraying but it does cut and buff nicely.

I think today's focus will be trunk lid and hood. The hood has some issues, it will keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement guys. The tv show stuff is maybe a little bit fun for a little while, but I have a feeling they would rub me the wrong way, digging for drama, scripting fake conflicts etc... If I could do a straight forward show, honest life with no scripted bullshit it would be ok.

But for now I'm just focused on 2015, and trying to make it a break out year. I want to prove that I can support the family with this business. I need to continue to develop my processes, keep looking for products that work well for me... stuff like that. Because if products are working well for me then the customer is getting more efficiency and quality for his dollar.

OK, enough jibber jabber, time to get crackin.

This is exactly the response I expected from you, Dave.

The consummate professional, exceptional human being, husband, father, uncle &/or friend !

As always, I wish you & your family, every success & the deserved rewards, of this great ADventure.
I suppose I should toss up a few fresh pics.

Engine has been all hooked up for a while now, trans is also tied in, drive line is complete.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Along with a bunch of other tasks, I began wet sanding and buffing today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150123_173235748_HDR_zpsojdqtrt2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150123_180216725_zpsap3oouwj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150123_180225297_HDR_zpseq1cg9h1.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Powerguy Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
That sir, is a talent.

Nice job Dave
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
Wow...
Hi Keith.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
Dang Dave, that thing will be dangerous out in the sun!

Those go-jacks are the cats azz in the shop aren't they?
Yes sir they are! Spin a car right around, go straight sideways or what ever. Very handy.

Like everything else in the shop that has rollers under it, we took these apart before even using them and I packed all the bearings with good grease. They glide so nice on a clean shop floor.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
Yep, I had a set on the wrecker for those cars in a driveway with the drive wheels pointed in or no way to get out of park.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
Dave, B is really onto something and the best part is that the whole shootin' match is documented right here at the 'fire.

Go forth and market thyself !!!
meh...

lol
Hah,...that's cool....

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/24/15
Man o man, nice paint work friend!
Posted By: OIDabble Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
That door and tin remind me of some thing.If this don't work out you can always make mirrors.I left a 69 Grand Prix S J over at a buddy's place a long time ago I might go get it this spring.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
I won't deny it: jealous of the talent level. Very nice.
beau-tiful work,Dave.
damn proud to say I know you.(sort of) laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
I do know you and I'm proud to say it but none of the reasons are for your talents on hot rods. smile

That said...that is one fine ass looking car my friend!!

That color is really growing on me!!
ACME, ok Shaw auto works be lookin b-b-b-bad to the bone
Color is gorgeous, and I can't fault the power train, either.
WOW!!!!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
Great paint job, I really like your work.
Thanks guys.

We finished recovering the last of the seats, the drivers low back bucket.

And I wanted badly to get color and clear on the remaining body parts but they just weren't ready. So it was a weekend of fine tuning on the hood, trunk lid and doors. I shouldn't jinx myself but I want to say I should be able to shoot the color and clear on those parts today.
Posted By: acy Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
Beautiful work!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
Very beautiful car bud! Your momma is gonna be stylin in the FFD parade! cool

We finished recovering the last of the seats, the drivers low back bucket.

And in addition to Paint and Body,..you do Upholstery..?

You gotta be part Mezcan...
Paira bucketz

[Linked Image]

You gotta be part Mezcan...

I am a fairly brown honkey...

Who knows?
Are you putting the little fuzzy ball thingys that hang down kn the wondow? Shag headliner?
No, it got that treatment the last time around. Complete with red and white velvet pleats sewn to everything except the steering wheel. Focking thing looked like a disco hippie candy cane acid trip.

[Linked Image]
Oh you found some pics. grin those are the ones I'm talking about.
[Linked Image]
sick
It was worse. I'll see if I can find pics later.
Posted By: mathman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
You need a hat like this to go driving:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
[Linked Image]

shocked

Holeeee phugg! Someone skinned Elmo and wrapped his ass around the steering wheel!
It was worse. I'll see if I can find pics later.

WORSE..? I was just kiddin,...can't imagine it could be worse...
Posted By: horse1 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by Rooster7
[Linked Image]

shocked

Holeeee phugg! Someone skinned Elmo and wrapped his ass around the steering wheel!

How do you know that's the skin offa Elmo's ass? Might could be back, belly, arms, legs, who knows.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
[Linked Image]

Just go with the "Dice!" It's a fifties/sixties thing. At least you wouldn't be hanging your "Junk" from the tailpipe. whistle wink crazy
6 hours of chasing around with a couple different guns spraying 3 different products.... And I now have something to work with in finishing off this car.

I'll take a lunch break and post pics from the office in the house.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
Dang Dave, outstanding.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/26/15
That's just badazz.

okay,...okay,...you don't wanna be a TV guy,...but you should at least make arrangements to sell it to "The Old Man" on Pawn Stars. He's a sucker for auto restorations,...the producers of the show will pay all the expenses to have it transported to Las Vegas,..you'll get to meet Chum-lee,...do some wrasslin' at the Chicken Ranch,..and you'll get some national exposure.

I cain't understand why you yankees got such a hang up about fame.
Mmmmmmmm, chicken ranch.....
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/27/15
I'm sure Mrs. NordernDave would go for that idea wink
So they don't serve shicken at the chicken ranch?
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/27/15
Another great thread for us to drool over!
Posted By: 700LH Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/27/15
Bunny Ranch sounds like a lot warmer cuddlier place.
Arrrest Me. Arrrrrest Me. Now!
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/27/15
I love this car!
wet sanding and buffing the whole car.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little comparison, left and right side of trunk lid.

I really did NOT care for spraying these paint products I used. It's a good thing this clear coat cuts and buffs well, because it really needs it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Also got the rust proofer coating on the floor boards prior to the interior going in.

(thanks wife) grin

[Linked Image]

Looking magnificent Dave. i like that Ruby Red color you got going on there. it'll really pop in the sun i think!
That's funny you said ruby red. I've been calling the car "Ruby" for about a week and a half now. lol.

Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/29/15
Need sunglasses to look at it on a dark night!
Dave, I think you could give Chip Foose and his gang a solid run for the money. And your team is a helluva lot smaller than theirs.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/29/15
And way cooler . smile
cooler, i didnt see no cooler, not even a beer fridge in any pics here!
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/29/15
Im pretty excited to see that mach 1 undergo its turn!!
There's a cooler, a little one by the sink. But its mountain dew until the "night shift".

Lol
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/30/15
Can't wait to see the finished product! What wheels and tires are going on it?
You will see soon. I'll bolt them on next week.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 01/30/15
Looking fantastic.
I hadn't checked in lately but it looks like "Ruby" will be red.
I was hoping for blue like mine was. It was a great car.

Nice work.
NEED MORE PICTURES
Steady by jerks....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Are those Cragars..?

That's gonna be Sweeeeeet...
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
I sure miss hardtops!
Yes, polished alum cragars
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
Oh my!
Posted By: pixarezzo Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
I absolutely HATE those Cragar wheels - they belong on a Chevy. If it were up to me, I'd go with these (without the knock-offs).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I absolutely HATE those Cragar wheels - they belong on a Chevy. If it were up to me, I'd go with these (without the knock-offs).

[Linked Image]

I think Northern Dave should hire Pixarezzo for his digital imagery skills.

A customer is not sure what will look best? Pixarezzo's magic can let them see several realistic alternatives so they can place an order with confidence! smile

By the way, Pixarezzo, I am never going to accept any photo of a fish you claim to have caught. I may want to hire you for some of MY fish pictures though... wink

John
Posted By: pixarezzo Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
Period Torq Thrusts - even though they're everywhere - look good, too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
Looks great!
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/03/15
Steady by jerks....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man oh man Dave is that looking nice! Wow!
Keep em' coming!

I need to live vicariously through your work.
Pix, just wait for the stainless trim to come into play, the wheels will go well with the final product, I think.

Also, they are a little different than your basic SS. For one thing they aren't unilug. sick

grin
Mmmmmmm.... Craaaaaaa-gaaaaaaars....

[Linked Image]

grin
I think it looks good. I also like the spoke look pretty well; Didn't the 64 come with spokes?
Naw, prolly hub caps. I have a couple sets of 64 caps.
Posted By: kecatt Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
What model Cragars are those? I remember SS Cragers having more rounded spokes.
Cragar eliminator 500
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Nicest set of Craigers I've seen! I loooove me some torq-thrusts though.

[Linked Image]

grin
Drooling now.
Posted By: kecatt Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Thanks Dave.
car porn

brrrrr

about got me convinced to unazz the Porsche and try and relive a lil of my childhood

gotta pard here that does restorations and does some pretty decent work

but if was even wealthier I'd have one with Shaw Auto Works on the badge
If you put the T T rims on there, you must install a four-track tape deck.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Craigers period correct too.
Man that is looking nice.
Posted By: EdM Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Looking to the first burnout video. grin
Burnouts will be tricky with the 3:1 gears. She's kind of a "touring" rig. Lol
Posted By: BLG Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
A family of 4 could basically live in the trunk.

Trunk monkey anyone.

Clyde
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15

[Linked Image]

grin

That thang is lookin purdier than a Blue Ribbon Hog!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Somebody gonna be "Styling and Profiling" soon in that ride, that is a fact Jack!
Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/04/15
Really can't wait to see the Mach1 thread...
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/07/15
Whatever happened the the Roar runner? Is Runs with Scissors driving it.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/07/15
It provided the where-with-all for Dave to have his new business. It was reunited with it's original owner.
I worked on the dash today. Here's a look at a half cleaned speedo face, I did the fuel gauge and temp gauge face. I painted the gauge housing red, painted bezels and related pieces silver and polished the lenses.

Turned out OK for a little elbow grease and a few ounces of paint.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/10/15
Looking FINE Sir, looking fine.
Dang....that looks better than the car.....grin
Posted By: EdM Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/10/15

A new arrival to the shop put the work on hold about mid day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The mach 1 was on the lift for a while so I could check it out and show the owner what we are going to have to do to it.

We have to do a LOT. lol!

It's been "fixed" before. With a gas axe and some angle iron scraps... sigh.

So, I get to un-fix before I can fix properly on that one. But I'm still super excited to have a 69 Mach 1 in the shop. They have a 390 for it, but the VIN shows it's a W code car, originally a 351 I believe.

Does the owner have a Marti report for it?
No, she's a bit of a Frankenstein.

I haven't dug into it too deep yet, I can tell you its an M code VIN and it needs a lot of steel, bones and skin.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/11/15
AH, the revenoors view!
Sweet!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/11/15
Dave Don't let Weezie near it.
Nice Azz!
Hi guys, I'm installing the headliner in a 64 galaxie today.

I'm not going to claim that my way is the "right way", I'll get that out of the way first off, lol. But here's how I'm going about this particular install. I'm using the front and rear glue/tack strips to attach the headliner material but I believe I will borrow techniques utilized in gen 1 stang headliners for attaching the sides.

I installed the bows in the correct order, I think anybody can handle that much without photos. I then installed the bows and attached the rear bow wire links.

[Linked Image]

After the rear links were attached I pulled the center of the front edge tight and popped a couple of 1/4" staples in to hold it in place. Then I repeated the same at the rear edge to rear tack strip.

[Linked Image]

Next I trimmed back the bow sleeves at the ends and pulled the sides tight and clamped with spring clamps at each bow seam.

[Linked Image]

I do this because it helps me finish the front and rear edges without wrinkles.

Next I applied contact cement to the front tack strip, also a bit to the roof structure forward of the tack strip, out to both A pillar corners and also to the back side of the headliner material where it will contact the front roof edge.

[Linked Image]

I happen to be using a DAP brand contact cement with a small brush attached to the cap. I actually prefer the dobber type to the brush for headliners because the dobbers are easier for overhead work.

Anyways, the contact cement has a 15 minute to one hour working window. Once the cement had been on for about 20 minutes, I started drawing the material snug, pressing it to the tack strip and placing a few staples as I went.

[Linked Image]

With the front edge glued/stapled in place I chose to use a clamp on each front corner while I moved to the back of the car to repeat the same process.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150212_105739913_zpss4olpwbb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150212_105821255_zpsdmehndgz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150212_105927159_zps2kazp1hb.jpg[/img]
Moving to the back, I applied the contact cement the same as I did for the front. I like the attaching strip for the back edge, it goes further out in the corners.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then you wait for the cement to tack up.

[Linked Image]
As with the front, I start with the center and carefully pull the headliner material snug and press it into contact with the attaching strip as I work my way out to both back corners. I place a few staples as I go.

[Linked Image]

I did also bring the front edge around and up into the windshield gasket area, since the windshield is out. This brings up the old "does the glass have to be out to replace the headliner in my 64 galaxie?" Question, answer is no. You don't have to have the front and rear glass out. But if you do have the glass out and a headliner is on your list, do the headliner before you put the glass back in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I'm moving on to the sides.

With one side dry clamped and untrimmed:

[Linked Image]

I go to the other side and pull somewhat tight as I trim leaving a 1/2" to 3/4" material past the outside of the metal edge. This gets into what I mentioned earlier with my 1st gen mustang reference. I'm going to glue to the outside edge here, it works for other cars, I believe it will work well for this one too. The roof rail stainless and trim will conceal this after final assembly.

[Linked Image]

Pinch weld edge and edge of trimmed fabric are both coated with contact cement.

[Linked Image]

Now I just need to wait, its important to not try to join these too soon, it will slip on you if you don't let the glue tack up enough. So.......

More of this.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/12/15
Man that's got to really interfere with your campfire time. grin
When the glue is ready, I start with the bow seams, I pull them tight, wrap the edge up and around, press them firmly to the outside of the pinch weld.

[Linked Image]

Next I pull the material between bow seams, carefully watching inside for wrinkles, I corrected several wrinkle areas while pulling these areas, wrapping and adhering again to the outside of the roof rail pinch weld.

[Linked Image]

Once I'm happy with the edge, I put spring clamps on the bow seams, I find that if anything will pull loose while glue finishes drying it will be these seams.

Now its starting to look like a headliner.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Man that's got to really interfere with your campfire time. grin

It really did screw up my whole day of senseless campfire banter.

Second side is attached.

[Linked Image]

Now to finish the sail panel area which will get overlapped with the new sail panels.

I finished up the sail panel sections a bit ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think it's going to be ok.

When the roof rail and inside window trim goes on things will be snugged just a little more.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, now for the sail panels....
ok, my 4:30 lunch break is done. back to the shop with me.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/12/15
Looks great Dave!
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/12/15
I think your watch is broken.It shows the exact same time in the photos. On the plus side it's right twice a day!
I have no idea WTH you're talking about. It looks good though!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/12/15
Dang Dave, you do have some skills, I would still be scratching my head and wondering how much the trim shop will charge me to install it. I ain't near that brave or skilled!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/13/15
Dang Dave, you do have some skills, I would still be scratching my head and wondering how much the trim shop will charge me to install it. I ain't near that brave or skilled!

Ditto

Looks great!
That right there would cause me to drink. A lot. Well done, sir.
You guys is crazy, but its a nice crazy.

Thanks. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bcolorado Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/13/15
You put that headliner in without excessive use of "wallpaper"language?

Impressive, Dang Impressive.
Ill have to send you some info on a brand of contact cement they have at work,it dries instantly,or at least very fast.
It comes in spray cans,maybe it would work for you.
it seems to stick pretty well.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/13/15
Very nice Dave....I don't think there is anything in this world that SUCKS more than those old-style headliners!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/13/15
awesome job Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys, I fixed an old wiper motor today, fixed some wiring, new dash pad installed (that was a bitch), new speaker for the functional original AM radio, antenna installed, rear glass and front glass installed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
Superb!

Posted By: colodog Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
Beautiful!
Have you shared progress photos with the owner or are you gonna keep it hidden and Blow their Minds and give them photos later?
Photos pretty much constantly.

Owner if this one, is my mom.

grin
Posted By: bcolorado Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
Sure wish I stll had some Led Zepplin 8-tracks to give to your Mom for her "new" Ford. cool grin
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
Glorious Sir.
You and your ridiculously amazing skills, ND. Geeze do you really have to rub it in that much?

smile
Posted By: colodog Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
You're a good man and she's gonna look great tooling around town it this beauty! Bragging about her son!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
Is she planning on the local parades this summer ND?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: woofer Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/14/15
That is gorgeous. My grandpa had a 4dr same with a 390. He was like a million years old when i was a kid but was smart enough to never let me drive it smile

W
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Is she planning on the local parades this summer ND?

I don't know that she has the time or patience to sit in a parade line, but she will definitely be at some of the cruise events in Fargo this summer.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/18/15
Photos pretty much constantly.

Owner if this one, is my mom.

grin

Whoops, don't know where I got it in my head it was for Pam ?

Ma ?

blush
yep, my mom.

Posted By: grouseman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/18/15
Cool! 'Ketchup' Red!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/19/15
Simply amazing my friend!
Very nice Dave! Now get fishing. We be going tomorrow too

Are you really going? I feel like crap, me and Pam have colds, sinus crud. I might as well just work, lol.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/19/15
Good Job Dave. Thanks for bringing that old girl back. Looks better I bet now than it did when it rolled off the line. Well Done Sir
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good Lord! That is a thing of beauty! Lucky mom to have a talented son.
heading out fishing this morning dave, lester, paul and i and maybe 1 more. -28 on the truck on the way in, missing eelpout this year but making this weekend out of it instead. not sure where to go yet. any reports?
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/19/15
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
not sure where to go yet. any reports?

at -28 I'd have a pretty friggin good idea where to go. BACK IN THE HOUSE! The report from in there is 68* with a cool busch light!
I have no idea buschy.

I wish you all good luck though!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/19/15
Dave that car is simply amazing! I can't wait to see it in person.

Very nice job buddy!
Me thinks it might be worth it to take the long drive to ND's shop and see this jewel in person.
Will you be home tomorrow or on the ice? Friday is my last day of vacation as Mama bear & the lil cub will be back from Florida in the evening.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Greyghost Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/21/15
Brings back memories of my old '65 Goat and a time when you could work on cars without ripping your hands to shreds... and gas mileage was the last thing that was on your mind!

Beautiful Job!

Phil

Posted By: woofer Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/21/15
And $10 would get you through the night and the next day..

Pard had a 66' 389 two barrel. Boy we had fun in that. Glad to be born when I was....

W
Posted By: Greyghost Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/21/15
My last Goat was just like this one, except in the factory blue. 389 Six-Pack with 4 on the floor... and usually wound up with 2 or 3 tickets on Fridays. But that was a lot of years ago.

Link

Phil

Posted By: kciH Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/21/15
Bad ass Dave, nice work!
Thanks guys, I still have final carpet fitting, will plates, kick panels... We are finishing a set if door panels which are galaxie 500 trim level modified to work with the XL seats. Its the best we can do, can't get XL panels. Maybe some day down the road.

I have found an original steering wheel which I will rebuild and paint (cracks, and wrong color).

Side trim is hanging us up a bit, I may go pick it up from the trim guy and just repair and polish it myself.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/21/15
dang Dave that is art!
I didn't do much car work over the weekend. Mostly shop cleaning and organizing.

But I did start refurbishing the used steering wheel I purchased.

I ground the cracks open with a dremel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I filled the cracks with body filler, was going to use an epoxy or jb weld, but figured this should work.

[Linked Image]

I blew some urethane surfacing primer on the wheel after sanding the body filler.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tomorrow I will do the final sanding, paint it red, maybe some clear coat too.

You can maybe see in the pics that I decided to go with a smooth face on the rim of the wheel rather than the grooves it originally had.
Outstanding,..never even considered how to refurbish an old steering wheel.
Dave, excellent work. Maybe you could do a fine pinstrip with a brush on that flat surface of the wheel before doing clear. really make it pop! Car looks very good man!
I thought about that, a pinstripe or something.

But sometimes you just need to stop dicking around and get stuff finished.

Lol!

Correct interior red with clear coat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/23/15
Looking good man!

A guy can make some bux just doing steering wheels. Pops does a few a year for extra spending money.
Yeah, you're right tom. There are several niche segments of restoration that a shop could perform full time and make a living. Steering wheels, upholstery, body/paint, media blast, trim reconditioning, mechanical...

I'm going to delegate some of these specific tasks to my shop slaves.

Er, I mean... Family.

Lol

Great work!

There's a Ford Galaxie sitting in a parking lot down in Rock Springs Wyoming. Been there for a couple of weeks. No for sale sign on it though. Just thought I'd mention it.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/23/15
Dang, never tried to do a steering wheel.
Its absolutely stunning, T.

First wheel I've ever done, I can see I will be doing many more in the future.

The nason clear I put over the red lacquer, flowed perfectly. The wheel looks like it was dipped in cherry syrup. Lol!
very nice dave! have i told you today yet out excellent your work is. Should have been fishing though and taken a break.
Thanks buschy. We are going next weekend.

Where did you guys go?
[Linked Image]
very nice. we camped out 2 miles over pine island, saturday paul and i drove 15 miles over pine out in the mud about 34' of water and fished. only kept 10 maybe all weekend between 4 of us. thinking about going torwards springsteel saturday now.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/23/15
Classy car!! Looking good Dave!!
Its absolutely stunning, T.

The wheel looks like it was dipped in cherry syrup. Lol!

Yeah it does!

When does she hit the road? Looks great.
She'll be ready for the road soon. We are kind if dragging our feet with the interior and a few other items. I have to have the trim on the sides of the exterior before I can close up the side panels in the interior.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/23/15
Mach I soon?
Mach 1 starts this week.
Posted By: add Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/23/15
Mach 1 starts this week.

Seems a lot of folks waiting to see that one get torn into.
Should start a pay per view/click. laugh

Galaxie looking great!
This thread is great for Rick! laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/24/15
Lol.
Here's a quick walk around video from yesterday. I hesitate in posting because it's not cleaned up too good and it's covered in swirl marks from compound buffing, I havent polished yet, which will remove the swirls.

I ran it down the road yesterday, I have a syncro issue in the trans from 2nd to 3rd that I will have to work on, other than that she did fine.

I'm working on the exterior trim now, once that goes on the rest of the interior can go in.

Posted By: jpb Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/27/15
Might sweet!

The nice even body panel gaps have been clear to see in your previous pictures, but filming this bad boy out in the sun really lets the reflections show off the flat and true sheet metal. Great work!

Oh, and I avoided looking closely at the reflection of you in the paint -- I recall that you always work in the nude to avoid paint scratches caused by a belt buckle or a button.

Guys, you have been warned! eek grin

John
Can't believe how fast you put that thing back together. Didn't think it was possible to outdo your Roadrunner, but you did one sweet job on the Galaxie....
I'll never use those paint products again though, F'ing NEVER!

It should have been so much easier and could have been better in the end.

Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/27/15
Dave the "Metal Magician". Fantastic Sir.
Posted By: Teal Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/27/15
Really like the look - sans trim.
Beautiful job, Dave. And she sounds as sweet as she looks.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 02/28/15
Here's a quick walk around video from yesterday. I hesitate in posting because it's not cleaned up too good and it's covered in swirl marks from compound buffing, I havent polished yet, which will remove the swirls.

I ran it down the road yesterday, I have a syncro issue in the trans from 2nd to 3rd that I will have to work on, other than that she did fine.

I'm working on the exterior trim now, once that goes on the rest of the interior can go in.

Mad skills my friend! Wow!
I've been working on trim. Taking some little dents out and a quick polish. I decided to do a brushed finish in the center of the panel rather than paint. I kind of like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oh Man Dave.......I can't think of the words.

Outstanding...
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
I'm with you on the brushed finish in the middle of the trim. Looks good and that car is smokin' sharp.
Posted By: Partsman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Really nice, I think you might make a living at this. grin
Posted By: safariman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Wow, stunning beautiful car there.

I would not have picked a car from that era as having this kind of potential for being sharp looking after a good restoration. That car just SPEAKS to a man.

Posted By: daveyreka Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
This is a beautiful ride, your talents are awesome. I would be proud to cruise around in this anytime.

Please, keep posting photo's of what you are working on.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
seems to me I read that this car may be displayed on one of the 3rd Thursday nights along Broadway in Fargo....any chance you will be attending with the car?

I will buy ya a beer....or 2 smile
Dat's a beaut!
Posted By: EdM Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Looks great. Almost makes me want to go look for one or an Impala or a Satellite or a .... to play with. I would lean restomod if I did though.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Damn, that is sweet looking Dave.
Originally Posted by bubbajay
seems to me I read that this car may be displayed on one of the 3rd Thursday nights along Broadway in Fargo....any chance you will be attending with the car?

I will buy ya a beer....or 2 smile

I do believe the car will frequent those events, I may be down to ride along sometime this summer.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Looking great Dave. Nice touch with the brushed trim.
It was supposed to get an argent paint in the recessed panels of the fender and door trim.

I think the brushed inserts are a subtle contrast, hopefully "classy" cause that's what I'm shooting for. lol

Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
I think it is. And it looks different...not different to the point where it stands out, but it's there if you look for it. That's the detail I really like in a car, so you nailed in IMO.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
WOW!
Rocker trim adds to the look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shure is purdy!

When does Mom get the keys?
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
Real nice!!!! Love the non "me too" restorations.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/04/15
OH YEAH! That really sets it off.
emailing these pics to a couple of buddies, to keep them awake nights, drooling.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
JFC that is nice!

Proud to know the man that did this and when I find and can afford the '68 - 69 Camaro that I want some day, that there will be someone who can restore it.

Don't think for one second, I won't drag your ass out of the nursing home!

grin
Posted By: bubbajay Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
This car just looks to be made to "ride" nowhere to really go, no time to get there, just enjoy the "ride"

I honestly am trying to imagine what this car sounds like.
Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: TC1 Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
That is stunning! Dave, you are a talented man.

Thanks for sharing that!
Posted By: grouseman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
It's gorgeous. But few will know how much CORRECT work went in to making it look like new.
Posted By: add Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
Exquisite Dave!

Right choice with those Cragers, they really help pop the finished details.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
This car just looks to be made to "ride" nowhere to really go, no time to get there, just enjoy the "ride"

Listen to the video. grin
Posted By: dawggone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/05/15
Wow! Beautiful work!!
just about to kick this one down the road.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And I thought I was doing good re-muddin around the shower...

Very Sharp Dave....

damn I wish you could do for folks what you do for cars

I'm in serious need of that sort of restoration

it looks BA Dave, nicely done sir

kind of a bonus that it's mom's car so you'll see it regular

better be nice to her or she might leave it in her will to me (grin)
Posted By: ingwe Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/09/15
Dave, that is skookum!

Chip Foose is turning green with envy! laugh

Seriously good work.
Surely you not going to turn that out till the salt is gone,Dave?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/09/15
I'm not a big ford fan but that year galaxie has great lines. Nice job.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/09/15
And yet another chapter in the Dave saga comes to an end. Hoping for many more chapters Sir.
Posted By: dawggone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/09/15
Amen! That is an amazing transformation.
ND-

It looks awesomer in the daylight!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/10/15
ND-

awesomer

IS THAT A WORD???? grin
There is nothing like seeing those cars in person. The straight lines, the reflections, the detail.

Brian Williams couldn't have done much better himself.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/10/15

Listen to the video. grin

that's to easy...
Originally Posted by Whelenman
ND-

awesomer

IS THAT A WORD???? grin

In a word; yes it is! smile
Posted By: Buckskin Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/10/15
Absolutely stunning work!!!!

Respects,
Richard
Posted By: Scotty Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/11/15
Looks great Dave. Back in high school my brother had a 64 Galaxie. Brings back memories.
Posted By: Royce Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/11/15
Dave
Anyone that has the talent and patience to complete a project as involved as that and complete it with that much elegance deserves a great deal of respect.
Originally Posted by Royce
Dave
Anyone that has the talent and patience to complete a project as involved as that and complete it with that much elegance deserves a great deal of respect.
Amen.

Posted By: Docbill Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
Lordy be, you really have to like the thump of FE motors !!!!!
Posted By: W7ACT Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
Only thing I would do to that Galaxie is to open up the exhaust to let that engine breath better and give it a more throaty sound. Not to mention a couple of miles better gas millage and horse power.

I've done it on several F-150 P/U's and haven't regretted it, it sure improved the towing speed on steep grades especially here in the west. It also let the engine run cooler.
I'm sure it will get bigger tubes soon.

I'm delivering the car tomorrow

I'm doing a bunch of final cleaning, detailing and tuning today. I'll put it on the trailer tonight and hit the road in the morning.

We will try to take a few decent photos before its gone. Can't do it outside though, too sloppy out there. The ground is froze hard in the morning but by 10am it gets too juicy to be rolling that thing around outside.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
Originally Posted by Docbill
Lordy be, you really have to like the thump of FE motors !!!!!

Me too. The only thing that comes close imo is the Y-block.
I'll miss having it around the shop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
I'll miss having it around the shop.

As will I -- and thousands of other Campfire readers living vicariously through your posts! wink

So, keep us going with more pictures of the fastback Mustang and Black Betty! grin

Besides, these threads are great advertising for Shaw Classic Auto Works of Minnesota.

Too subtle, Dave? wink grin

Your friend in Sweden,
John
Thanks John, lol.
Car looks Marvelous Dave! Should have a make shift backdrop in the shop to take some photos of all the finished work in there before you roll them out the door. Nothing like some wire and white bed sheets to really take some nice photos with. Still trying to get time to drop by and check out the whole place. Take care and Keep it up!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
That would be my problem Dave, letting them go when I got done with them. It is a piece of your life that will go down the road.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/12/15
If you haven't done it yet you need to put your LOGO on your Toy Hauler.

Good call, Arch.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/13/15
Nice job Dave.
Posted By: tzone Re: 64 Ford Galaxie project. - 03/13/15
Sad to see it hard down the road. But I ant wait to see the next one. You're getting better with every car Dave! It looks amazing!
Posted By: ingwe SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/13/15
Of Minnesoda is where you want ND to restore your car!

Shameless western plug.... grin

Beautiful work Dave!
Posted By: White_Bear Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/13/15
Originally Posted by W7ACT
If you haven't done it yet you need to put your LOGO on your Toy Hauler.

Great for advertising but that will make that rig scream commercial vehicle. It's a slippery slope with some of our local revenue generators.

Great work on the car ND. I was glad to see it before it hit the road. I'm going to have to make a habit of swinging by every couple weeks to see the progress.

On a totally unrelated subject, what days do you usually have them awesome cookouts? smile smile smile
[quote=White_BearGreat for advertising but that will make that rig scream commercial vehicle. It's a slippery slope with some of our local revenue generators.

[/quote]

he needs the magnetic logo, put it on when needed,take it off when not.
Posted By: tzone Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/13/15
What did mom think?
Its good.

smile
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/14/15
Its good.

smile

Haha is that what she said? "It's good"
Oh she said more than that. It was received well, very well.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/15/15
Tell your life story, guy.

I gather bits and pieces,...but I ain't really together enough to speculate it all,...so I won't even try.

Say why you are where you're at.

From what I recall,..it's an interesting tale.

Tell it to us.

I find it all quite boring, myself.

here's a final photo set.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Very Nice Dave!! immaculate work! keep them coming!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Simply AWESOME !!!

I'm not a vintage car guy, both would "fight" for that one.
Posted By: eh76 Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Dave that is just WOW!
Posted By: Scotty Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Looks great. Saturday I say a guy with a 63, on a trailer. Looked like it had been setting for 20 years. I have always liked the looks of the 64's better.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15

I find it all quite boring, myself.

The stories that I've heard are anything but...... smile

Tell them or not, I enjoyed hearing your story over the last 10 years.
Posted By: T LEE Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Flat out AWESOME Dave!

Now, NEXT!
Absolutely gorgeous!
Posted By: SKane Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
Holy hemorrhoidal tissue - that's freaking awesome, Dave!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
I know I blow praise in your general direction about the quality of your builds...but with the quality of Pam's pictures, you guys be putting pics in magazines and shooting for car calanders.
Posted By: colodog Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/16/15
That's a classic beauty, wow!
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: SHAW CLASSIC AUTO WORKS - 03/17/15
When do we get the models with the cars too then!
© 24hourcampfire