Posted By: byc College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/22/14
Beat the Penguin Picks!!

#20 UTAH over #15 Arizona
CALIFORNIA over Stanford
#24 USC over #11 UCLA
PITTSBURGH over Syracuse
#14 Wisconsin over IOWA
#21 NEBRASKA over Minnesota
TENNESSEE over #19 Missouri --Sorry Randy!!
ARKANSAS over #8 Mississippi
NOTRE DAME over Louisville
Is this the week to talk about those week-in, week-out killer schedules in the SEC?
Posted By: byc Re: College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/22/14
Georgia is playing Charleston Southern!! crazy

TN-Mizzou is about it huh?
Posted By: Nail Re: College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/22/14
Originally Posted by byc
Georgia is playing Charleston Southern!! crazy

TN-Mizzou is about it huh?

AR vs OM

AR record isn't all that great but they aren't a bad team by any means. I actually picked AR today...sure hope I'm wrong.
Oh yeah shuhhhh....took Hogs as well.

AR and TN are going to be big factors over the next couple of seasons.
Not sure who drives more nuts. Oklahoma or Nebraska.
Gophers win!

Gophers win!

Gophers win!
How 'bout them Gelded Gophers?!
They ain't gelded this year, they're actually not bad! grin
They played well. All season in fact. Good coaching for sure.

Re: Mississippi - is being at least semi-intelligent not allowed?

Re: Wisconsin #58 - looking through the mask - John Elway or Jerry Seinfeld?
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
They ain't gelded this year, they're actually not bad! grin

Sandy Stephens and Bobby Lee Bell would approve!
Arkansas is going to win this game.

The QB behind the Utah face mask looks downright ghoulish.
Arkansas looks better and better with every game.

Look out next year fellows! Hogs are back.
Frigging Noles pull out another one.
Dang was not even following that one. 20-17. They're one lucky team.
Holy crap I may go 0-10 this week
Posted By: byc Re: College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/23/14
Freaking Domers and Arizona. Looks like I'll be right there with you. I picked ARK the past weeks and still can't make up a point against the Penguin. Maybe I need to break down and actually buy a Vegas sheet.

Dang this Arkansas team looks good! SEC is in for an unexpected powerhouse next season. Strong coaching as well.

Hoping Muschamp comes to Carolina. I would say done deal.
Dang Arkansas shuts out Ol Miss!!!!
Dang Arkansas shuts out Ol Miss!!!!

Back to back shut outs of ranked teams, and they are now bowl eligible. In fact, I think that I heard that all of the SEC West teams are bowl eligible. I figure Missouri is dreading them next Friday. miles
Colorado State 10-1!
Marshall has a perfect season in the works. 12-0. And they could be just as good as any other on any given game day.
Originally Posted by byc
Marshall has a perfect season in the works. 12-0. And they could be just as good as any other on any given game day.

But instead of being of the herrenvolk, they are merely untermenschen.
Never bet against my Tigers David. Well unless they're playing Georgia, Auburn and uh any other really good team.
I figured you would be along Randy. I simply suck at football picks!! There is NO hope for me.

Thank goodness it's all in Penguin fun and I do not bet in real life!! grin
Miss State shuts out Vandy 51 to 0
The apocalypse is here! Les wins and I am last
Nice job Les
Posted By: EdM Re: College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/23/14
WGAF?
Originally Posted by byc
I figured you would be along Randy. I simply suck at football picks!! There is NO hope for me.

Thank goodness it's all in Penguin fun and I do not bet in real life!! grin

in the greater scheme of things, you have a lot of qualities David that supersede picking a wacky college football game

sides if you'd have picked MO, or I'd have taken time out of my day to watch the game the Volunteers would have most likely won it. crazy

if you're near the top but not at the top of the pool at this point in the season, you pretty well have to pick some upsets that you're hopin the leaders don't pick as well

what's that old saying? oh yeah, damned if you do damned if you don't.

but look at Dan trying to be funny saying Les won???

we know that didn't happen that would be a sure sign of the apocalypse grin

OMG Les did indeed win!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well...Congrats Lester!!
It would appear that Fat Bert has things headed in the right direction at Arkansas. I've been down on him this year, this team should be 9-2, but they always found a way to shoot themselves in the foot. More than any other aspect of his coaching, he deserves a ton of credit for keeping them focused and playing hard after so many kicks in the balls with close loses they gave away. Now, they not only appear to have figured it out, they seem to have some swagger and nastiness to them.

I've been down on him this year, this team should be 9-2, but they always found a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

He does not play the game, the team has to do that, and he has put them in a position to win several of them. I have had some words about the play calling and that goes through him. All in all, he has done good. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
I've been down on him this year, this team should be 9-2, but they always found a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

He does not play the game, the team has to do that, and he has put them in a position to win several of them. I have had some words about the play calling and that goes through him. All in all, he has done good. miles

That is the biggest copout for a sunshine fan ever. Good coaches have teams that don't beat themselves. And you see it over and over. Now, the good news is that at Arkansas for now, it appears that having team that beats itself is not his MO and that it really may have been a case of getting the team to believe in itself. But, don't give me that crap about a coach not being on the field. We're going to give him or any other coach the credit when a team does things right, they deserve the blame when a team does things wrong as well.
ARK will be the SEC darling for 2015. Might even take it all.

Muschamp will go to Carolina and build a kick-azzz defense.

Carolina and ARK for the title.
What is it with the SEC and ACC having all these easy games at the end of the year and the rest of the world is in the meat of their conference play?

The 'Noles have barely won 4 or 5 games against unranked, mediocre to terrible teams but since they are "Ws" they stay in the playoff race! I'll bet Bama would beat them by 40 right now!
What is it with the SEC and ACC having all these easy games at the end of the year and the rest of the world is in the meat of their conference play?

Have you looked at Arkansas schedule? They kept a #17 from scoring last week and the same with a #8 yesterday and play a team Friday that is probably going to be the SEC East champion. In fact all of their Sec West opponents were ranked in the top 20 when they played them and most in the top ten. miles
That is the biggest copout for a sunshine fan ever. Good coaches have teams that don't beat themselves.

So Bear Bryant or a Tom Landry never had a team beat itself? No matter how good the coach, the team has a learning curve and usually the more Seniors on the team the shorter the curve. miles
I often find myself wondering just what it is that a head coach does these days. There are offensive coordinators who call the plays and apparently establish the offense that is run, defensive coordinators who do the same with the defense, more position coaches than you can fit into an airport shuttle van, and numerous other underlings of one sort or another. Seems like the head coach's main functions are to hold up one or two fingers on conversions, decide to punt, attempt a field goal, or go for it on fourth down, berate officials, hold press conferences, and swoop in for a recruit signing after one of the other coaches has done the recruiting.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I often find myself wondering just what it is that a head coach does these days. There are offensive coordinators who call the plays and apparently establish the offense that is run, defensive coordinators who do the same with the defense, more position coaches than you can fit into an airport shuttle van, and numerous other underlings of one sort or another. Seems like the head coach's main functions are to hold up one or two fingers on conversions, decide to punt, attempt a field goal, or go for it on fourth down, berate officials, hold press conferences, and swoop in for a recruit signing after one of the other coaches has done the recruiting.

Don't you know, they recruit, hold press conferences and coerce boosters to pay off their mortgages on their mansions!
On the ESPN special, Wives of SEC Coaches, it appeared to me that the wives did more for the team than the head coaches. laugh
I would guess that Muschamp will go to Auburn as a DC rather than South Carolina.

Ark has been close for several games, good to see them over the hump a bit.
How 'bout the west coast?

I'm excited for my local Oregon Ducks!

Virgil B.
I often find myself wondering just what it is that a head coach does these days.

I suspect that like any other boss, he tells others such as the coordinators how he wants things done come next Saturday, and then lets them do it, mostly. miles
I am not taking anything away from Arkansas, mostly referring to Alabama, FS etc. Too bad Arkansas had those early losses, they scare the crap out of anyone they play right now.
Posted By: Nail Re: College Football Saturday!!!! - 11/24/14
I've known AR was good from the first time I watched them this year. They weren't able to put it all together in some of their earlier games and came up short.

Not to take away from AR performance or what they've accomplished, but this OM is broken and has fallen apart.

They bounced back and played well against AU. Certainly well enough to win but then some things happened in that game that you simply cannot explain and then the broken leg fumble by Treadwell as he's going in for a TD was last straw.

I didn't even recognize the team that showed up at AR last Sat. The defense was there at times but as a whole they looked like one of Nutt's teams from his last couple of years at OM.

I don't expect perfection or even a W, but I do expect effort. I never thought I would see it out of this bunch but my eyes tell me they've quit and that is not acceptable...ever.

I wish I could say they can pull it together one last time against State but I reckon State will demolish them in Oxford on senior day televized for all the world to see.

WAOM
they scare the crap out of anyone they play right now.

Bielema came into a program where what he had to work with was not good, but he is building a sound program, it seems to me. These Seniors have played under three different head coaches and that many different systems, not to mention the different position coaches. Then factor in the SEC West and it is a hard row to hoe. I heard them say on TV, that his big offensive line would just get bigger, but I don't see how. They are already bigger than most NFL teams front line. miles
Actually ARK's O-Line is the biggest in football PERIOD. College or Pro. They average 3 pounds more than the biggest pro team and 4 more than the next biggest college team. Some big boys on that team.
© 24hourcampfire