Home
Posted By: Gledeasy Gun Safe - 11/29/14
With kids getting older and guns becoming more valuable I'm looking to retire my gun cabinet I built in High School and get a safe.

Wondering which brands and models I should be looking into?

I know these things can be quite heavy, is trying to get one into a basement a bad idea?
Posted By: specialK Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
Fort Knox, Champion, Liberty are some good ones and a reputable dealer should have a safe dolly that is made for going up or down stairs.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
I have a 36 and 2 24s in my basement, getting 'em in the basement was easy, the gravity thing helped. Getting 'em out will be the kids problem.

My wife sells 'em, she has a safe dolly, like a hand truck with 2 sets of wheels powered by a motor. If I were to go up stairs I'd use it.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
I bought a 36 gun Liberty several years ago to put in our basement (which does not have a walk out). I called around and found the moving company that moved them for Cabela's and Bass Pro. I thought great, they will have some cool devices to handle this thing. Nope. Just a refrigerator dolly and brute strength from three guys. They never touched a wall or a piece of woodwork. It was the best $250 I ever spent.

Mike
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
I have a Cabela's made by Cannon that has been great. I paid to have it moved into my basement and paid to have it moved out of my basement when we relocated. The movers had a dolly that climbed stairs and it cost me $150.00 each time (I had a walkout basement with cement stairs).
Posted By: EricM Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
I'm a big fan of American Security (AMSEC). Great bang for the buck and real protection as opposed to many other brands out there.

Eric
Posted By: Matt in Virginia Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
fwiw,
Had a thee pager in response. Lost it...

The basics:

1. Could your basement flood? No safe, regardless of security rating, defends against water...

2. Everything from a $2000 Liberty to a $15,000 Fort Knox Titan are classified by Underwriters Laboratory as a RSC. In short they are not classified as a safe but rather as a Residential Security Container. There IS a difference between a $2000 Liberty and whatever Fort Knox and those BS Safes you see in Costco... With names like Winchester... They ARE tin cans that you can break into them with a pry bar in several minutes...

Real safes start at TL-15. Tool resistant for 15 minutes. TL-30 same attack double the time. TRTL-30x6 is Torch and Tool resistant for 30 minutes on all six surfaces. EXTREME Jewelry Vaults can go to TRTL-60x6 to TXTL-60x6. The TXTL is Torch, Tool, and Explosive Resistant...

Consider keeping a very low profile for your safe. The fewer folks who know you have one the better off you are... On this note one of my brighter friends bought a mid grade Fort Knox YEARS ago. He never tore off the brown box. Instead he carefully cut a door in the cardboard and uses velcro to keep the original box around the safe. Looks, at first glance, like a spare hot water heater.

Consider solid fire protection. Many RSCs use nothing more than a couple layers of sheetrock to withstand fire. The more expensive Fort Knox safes do well with fire. They have an expanding door seal activated by heat that seals the safe in a fire. Though you will pay for it...

I use ISM Super Treasury Diamond Vaults that were bought used for roughly $2000 a piece. They typically bring 4 to 5 times that in similar condition. New they are $20Kish. These Israeli made safes are the gold standard of the jewelry business...

Total overkill. That has its own pitfalls. Don't feel like typing it out again. Short of going with an UBER Safe you won't have this problem...

http://www.empiresafe.com/143/ism_super_treasury_trtl30x6

Thoughts:

1. Weight is your friend on safes. Light safes are easily moved unless bolted down to cement.

Never buy an old safe that is weighted with cement. It holds tremendous moisture.. I've seen one gun collection ruined by a cheap "old" safe...

2. Never count on an electronic lock. They will fail on you atleast once in 20 years. They are handy, however, make sure you have a redundant mechanical backup...

3. You will get more for your money with a used vault, however, as with all things there are pitfalls. You either spend your money up front from a legitimate safe dealer or you do mucho homework on used vaults and have the locks serviced.

Had a friend who brought home a US Navy M16 Safe that were being thrown out. He put a large gun collection in one. All was well until he was going to shoot prairie dogs. Safe would not open. Local safe guy drilled plenty of air holes in the safe with no luck. Finally had to pay an expert $400 to punch the lock and open it... Used OLD safes have pitfalls.

4. If you can afford it go with a Sargent & Greenleaf 2937 mechanical combination lock. This is current government spec for intelligence safes, file cabinets, etc... Don't ask me what happened with the Chinese and the F-35 plans...(grin)

Regards, Matt.

Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
Never place a safe where it can fall a full floor level in a fire because the fire liner will shatter. If you put your safe in a garage bolt it to the floor or wall or both. A safe is one level of security. A safe with an alarm system that is monitored is far better as it limits the time for a break-in. Never spin the lock dial as it can cause the tumblers to move and then you have to keep trying different number combinations until you get it right! A friend that went to safe cracking school for the USPS told me that one! Most problems with USPS safes were caused by spinning the dial when locking them.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
Buy a tall safe you have more "long" guns than you think. A friend told me that and i didnt listen. I do now.
that little slot in the shelf for your tall guns fills up quick and doesnt give much selection in placement. Had mine about 10 years, after a lot of research bought American Security. You can get better or cheaper but it was the best for me locally available. Many friends have placed theirs against a wall, bolted down (but so you couldnt pry up) and built a nice cabinet around them. You cant buy security. You buy time and effort. Anything you buy I could break. Period. Its all about time.
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
Thanks for all the great info. This gives me a great starting point.

Seems like I've read something about needing/having a de-humidifier?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
gun safes are good

bout the best locally is the AMSEC safes from what I've been able to glean

I'm also a believer in not keeping all your eggs in one basket

have multiples in different locations

even have some stuff at a good pard's house just in case.

I don't like the idea of surviving something nasty and having no $$$ or firearms
Posted By: KDK Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
I like my Fort Knox, but I know it's not the only good one out there.
1. Buy big. Mine was too small when I bought it. (Bought it from my buddy's dad when they moved.)
2. Think about humidity if you put it in a basement. Not saying I wouldn't do it, just look into it.
2legit makes a good point ive never considered. Two smaller safes, twice as hard and long to break.
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
Buy from local locksmith. You will get better advise than from a gunshop
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Gun Safe - 11/29/14
The good thing about where you live, Fort Knox and Liberty are both made in Utah County. The safe I bought from Cabela's is their "Tall and Wide" version. I got it during one of their LEO/Military/Fire Fighter/EMS appreciation sales, which knocked 40% off the top, then I had a coupon for another $150.00 off, and they discounted it another 10% because it was a display model. They almost paid me to take it!... whistle

It's served it's purpose, but someone determined and with a bit of time could get into it, but I'm confident it'll bring the average tweeker to a screaming halt.
exactly right. a safe factory rep told me of a contractor on vacation, when they broke in they found his concrete saw. Nothing stops that, if you have the time and will. What you are looking for is something to stop the guy who is in and out in a few minutes. Given time bank safes are cracked
Posted By: K1500 Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
What about the browning safes? I know they are not made by browning (liberty maybe?). I was looking at the sporter series on the low end (available locally) but would go up if it was worth it.
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
A dehumidifier was asked about. I have always used a Goldenrod accessory in all my gun-safes. A small lightbulb would work, too, but might be easily broken.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1138614184/goldenrod-gunsaver-dehumidifier-rod-110v?cm_vc=U112
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
This website should help -

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/

Best wishes for you in your search - it is a very confusing process.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
I have four now. Browning, Fort Knox, Liberty and a Stack On. I lock up the wife's stuff, papers, computer back ups and knives, as well as my guns.
No safe will 'stop' a determined thief with time, but they can sure slow them down, and they will prevent kids from stealing stuff.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
of the four you have Sam, which do you think is best?

my gut tells me it'll be the Ft. Knox

but hey I could just be hungry (grin)
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
actually the Browning is better rated for fire, but overall, the Fort Knox gives me more comfort and security. Dang thing weighs a ton. laugh
Posted By: cal74 Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by K1500
What about the browning safes? I know they are not made by browning (liberty maybe?). I was looking at the sporter series on the low end (available locally) but would go up if it was worth it.

Here's a pic of my Browning Safe (P.O.S) hinge, nice weld job.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
actually the Browning is better rated for fire, but overall, the Fort Knox gives me more comfort and security. Dang thing weighs a ton. laugh

thanks Sam

but I'm still hungry grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
Graffunder F-Rated, nuff said.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
Brown safe, not Browning. Serious safes, serious money. Highest rating "M".
Grafunder excellent also, but I go with this Brown safe.
Of course you should have something to put in it!

Features Model Range Contact Us
HD-SERIES 7256

HEAVY-DUTY FIRE AND BURGLARY SAFE

The HD 7256 offers maximum security at max capacity.
Packing a staggering 61 cubic foot capacity, this double door
model 7256 has no opposition.

HD-Series 7256 Specifications:
Cubic Capacity: 61 Cubic Feet
Interior Dimensions: 72" H x 56" W x 25.5" D
Min. Exterior Dimensions: 73" H x 57" W x 31" D
Min. Weight: 2074 lbs.
Priced From $5,449 - $20,353
INTERIOR CONFIGURATION

This model comes standard with the following configurations:

Interior Configuration #1

� 6 adjustable full width shelves.

$7,524

* Subtract $2,075 for
non fire-rated model.

Interior Configuration #2

� 1 fixed full width shelf.
� 1 adjustable full width shelf.
� 3 adjustable half width shelves.
� 1 full gun rack with space
for 21-23 long guns.

$7,900

* Subtract $2,075 for
non fire-rated model.

Interior Configuration #3

� 1 fixed full width shelf.
� 1 adjustable full width shelf.
� 2 full gun racks with space
for 42-46 long guns.

$7,847

* Subtract $2,075 for
non fire-rated model.

PROTECTION LEVEL

The first line of defense for any security safe is the strength of the material used to construct its door and walls.
A substantially thick solid steel door and five robust steel walls are fundamental to the safe's ability to protect your valuables, and the primary means of preventing a determined criminal from gaining entrance.

Wall and door thickness is at the very core of a high security safe's ability to protect.
This should always be your number one concern when deciding on any safe.

Class-B Rating
1/4" Body Steel
1/2" Door Steel
2" Fire-Cladding on Door
2�" Fire-Cladding on Body
1/2� solid steel door
1/4� solid steel body
Fire-rated for 90 min. at 1700�
Flush door frame design with overbuilt spread resistant doorframe
1� laminated, interlocked & double-welded door jamb
U.L. approved high security Group 2 lock
Ball bearing hard plate
Double anchor locking bolt carriage design
1� hardened chrome locking bolts with anti-drive resistance
5 active and passive relocking devices
4 - 5/8� base anchor holes
Class-C Rating
1/2" Body Steel
1" Door Steel
2" Fire-Cladding on Door
2�" Fire-Cladding on body
All the standard features of
Class-B rated safes plus:

1� solid steel door
1/2� thick solid steel body construction
Ball and roller bearing hinges
+ $4,137

Class-F Rating
1" - Body Steel
1" - Door Steel
1/2" - Ballistic Door Armor
2" Fire-Cladding on Door
2�" Fire-Cladding on body
All the standard features of
Class-C rated safes plus:

1/2� ballistic door armor
+ $12,453

There are many great benefits that come with the Brown Safe fire protection.

+ Fire protection up to 90 min. at 1700 degrees!
+ Increased protection level from burglary with our solid steel core
Although fire protection has the increased benefits for keeping valuables safe, removing fire protection has benefits as well.

+ Smaller wall thickness to fit in smaller spaces
+ Weight is usually far less than a fire safe. Weight reduction may be ideal for those looking to install a safe in an area where foundation construction may not support heavy objects.
Below you can see the difference in specifications.

HD-Series 7256 Class-B WITH Fire Protection
Exterior Dimensions: 77.5" H x 62" W x 36" D
Weight: 4880 lbs.
HD-Series 7256 Class-B WITHOUT Fire Protection
Exterior Dimensions: 73" H x 57" W x 31" D
Weight: 2074 lbs.
REMOVE Fire Protection - $2,075
SECURITY OPTIONS

Glass Plate Relocking Device

+ $350
- Provides added burglary protection.
- Increased sensitivity against forced entry attacks.
- Glass plate shatters setting off relockers at an early stage in the burglary, increasing the difficulty of entry.

Silent Signal Alert

+ $375
- Triggered by either a hidden button or an alternate unlock entry code, safes equipped with the slient signal alert feature interface directly with your alarm or home automation system.

- With the silent signal feature in place, if the unfortunate situation ever arises where the safe owner is forced to open the safe against their will, the safe can be unlocked in a normal manner while an undetectable alert is secretly sent to the homes monitoring system which in turn relays a message to security authorities, immediately alerting them to the hold-up situation.

ENTRY METHOD

Choose from two high security lock types.

Electronic Push-Button Lock
(included)

Traditional Dial Lock
- $195

EXTERIOR COLOR FINISH

If the standard HD Bronze doesn't fit your desires, we offer several exterior color options sure to satisfy your individual style.
All HD-Series safes are finished in a rugged, low-sheen, textured paint coating designed to stand up to years of abuse.

*Gloss finish is optional with additional charge.
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

The HD Series has many additional features to further customize your safe for your needs.

Gloss Paint Finish
(call for quote)
Left-Hinge Location

Dehumidifier
$150
Pedestal Riser
(call for quote)
Internal Power Strip w/USB
$100
LED internal lighting
$425
Custom Shelf Layout
( call for quote )
3-Spoke Handle
$275
Call a Brown Safe Designer at (760) 233-2293 to order your HD-Series Safe.

Phone: (760) 233-2293Support PagePrivacy PolicySite Map

� 2014 Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14

Safes are only as good as you pay for. If you have nice guns, get an excellent safe. Chances are, if you can get it into the basement it isn't much of a safe.

You should buy bigger than you want, you won't regret it. If you leave it in the living room, it needs to look nice and you have to have a generous wife.

I got a big one and thought I would be fine, but it soon filled up and I had to get another. Fire rating is my biggest concern and I got good fire rating which means an extremely heavy safe. The floor is supported underneath and it is in a corner for strength and according to fire departments, a good place to locate the safe in case of a fire...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14

Sometimes, if you scatter a few of the less valued guns around the safe, the thieves will be busy taking those instead of breaking in for the good ones. That is the only reason to have stainless steel guns, to decoy the thief...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Aviator Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
I just bought my second safe on TG, it is a 24 gun Stack On it was on sale at Rural King for $299 after rebate...for the money it is a very nice safe !
Posted By: JD730 Re: Gun Safe - 11/30/14
FWIW, I just posted a review of my new Safe under gear reviews. Bought an upgraded Sturdy safe and am very pleased.
+ 1 on
-Bigger. These things fill up fast
-Taller. Only a few long guns (think Trapdoor Springfield) severely cramps your shelf space

I ended up choosing between an Amsec BF and a Sturdy, but there are other good ones. Getting it down a flight of basement stairs is going to limit you. You might need to consider 2 smaller safes?

At the end of the day, we could buy safes that are fireproof and resistant to torch, concrete saws, explosives, etc. But we couldn't afford them and would need to have our houses built around them! And few of us will face that kind of attack. I'm about $5k into mine, that seemed like the balance point between security and cost for me. I think we all should have something, but we all have to decide how much is enough.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Gun Safe - 12/01/14
If I buy another safe it will be one that can be assembled in place by me and if I want to disassembled and moved by me.

Such safes are made by Snap Safe, Champion and Zanotti.

I understand they are on backorder.

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire