Home
Killer's parents plead for his life in Colorado theater shooting case

By SADIE GURMAN
Associated Press
December 20, 2014

COLORADO Denver � The parents of Colorado theater shooting suspect James Holmes begged Friday for his life to be spared through a plea bargain � a move that rekindled the long-running, emotional debate about whether the horrific details of the mass killing should be played out at his upcoming trial.

The statement released by Robert and Arlene Holmes emphasized a key legal issue in the tortured history of the case � James Holmes' mental state when he killed 12 people and injured 70 others, and whether he should die if convicted of the crime.

�He is a human being gripped by a severe mental illness,� the parents wrote in just their second public comments since the 2012 attack. �We have always loved him, and we do not want him to be executed.�

Prosecutors previously rejected at least one proposed plea deal made by attorneys for Holmes, criticizing the lawyers for publicizing the offer and calling it a ploy meant to draw the public and the judge into what should be private negotiations.

They said the proposal could not be considered genuine because the defense repeatedly refused to give them information needed to evaluate it. No details were provided on the information but attorneys previously argued in court about access to details concerning Holmes' mental health.

Defense attorneys don't deny he was the shooter but say he was in the grips of a psychotic episode.

Survivors, relatives respond to statement

The comments by Holmes' parents incensed some survivors of the attack and relatives of those killed. They questioned the timing as 9,000 jury summonses were being delivered for the trial.

�To give a person who committed such a calculated, horrific crime a life sentence, to me that's like giving him a slap on the wrist,� said Marcus Weaver, who was shot in the arm and whose friend, Rebecca Wingo, died in the attack.

The prospect of a long court battle troubled victim Pierce O'Farrill, who was shot three times.

He said he would welcome an agreement that imprisons Holmes for life and did not see how a possible death penalty would �bring peace to anybody, whether it's justice or not.�

�Life in prison, throw away the key, and he doesn't see the light of day again and we move on.� O'Farrill said of a possible plea deal, noting he has forgiven Holmes.

Associated Press
I'm for it.

Of course mommy doesn't want her son killed. No shock there.
He said he would welcome an agreement that imprisons Holmes for life and did not see how a possible death penalty would �bring peace to anybody, whether it's justice or not.�

It will bring 'peace' knowing we aren't spending another dime of people's money on him.
Why imprison a person who cannot be rehabilitated to where he can be released back into society? The death penalty seems appropriate to me in this case. We'd be listening to the same arguments in the Adam Lanza case were it not for him having chosen the cowards way out by committing suicide. Both were coherent enough to make and carry out plans for their evil deeds and should not be allowed to hide behind the insanity defense.
Yes, he should. Even if he's crazier than a chithouse rat. Execution is the only guaranteed way that he'll never harm anyone else.
We euthanize pets with better temperaments.

We've executed deserters on the spot.

We cant guarantee he will never enjoy another day of happiness if hes alive which is what I would like, since the families of the dead probably wont.

The only way to do that is if he pays the complete price.

Some things in life are and will remain abit distasteful. But necessary.
I'm for it. And it has nothing to do with keeping people safe. I just think he needs to die.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes
Charles Manson comes up parole review every few years. What's to keep them from turning him loose? If they'd executed him 30 years ago, there would be no risk.
Yup!
If mass murders do not qualify for a death penalty, then why have it?
Absolutely, yes.
yes, and quickly, before some azzwipe like obama pardons him
Under Colorado law, in order to be not guilty by reason of insanity, you must be so far gone you do not know your actions were wrong.

He knew what he was doing was wrong, and should be executed.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
If mass murders do not qualify for a death penalty, they why have it.
Absolutely, yes.

of course, down under, you guys don't execute anyone, for any reason, right?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
yes, and quickly, before some azzwipe like obama pardons him

He's a white boy no pardon for him

Yes execute
Execution are a very expensive proposition. I oppose the death penalty on cost grounds, not moral grounds - I've got no problem wit the death penalty for certain cases, but do not like the 7 figure cost. Given the US legal system, it takes a decade or more to carry out a death sentence.

A cheaper alternative would be life without parole and keeping the convicted on a tight leash (no movement with the prison).

Here's a summary of the costs: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Should have already been executed stop dragging your stinking feet.
In view of: no redemption, abhorrent prison life, cost of upkeep, etc., yes, he should be put to sleep.
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

He shouldn't have made it out of the theater parking lot!!
Well put Holmes aside for the moment, I don't think any of us would argue he is out of his gourde, do we execute the insane and mentally ill in this country? Do we execute the soldier who comes home messed up out of his mind and kills somebody?
It's a tough call, always will be a tough call.
Me Irish thinking tells me he needs to have his neck broken by an old time hanging!!
Originally Posted by djs
Execution are a very expensive proposition. I oppose the death penalty on cost grounds, not moral grounds - I've got no problem wit the death penalty for certain cases, but do not like the 7 figure cost. Given the US legal system, it takes a decade or more to carry out a death sentence.

A cheaper alternative would be life without parole and keeping the convicted on a tight leash (no movement with the prison).

Here's a summary of the costs: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Public stonings would be cheap , can even lower the cost by having it B.Y.O.R..
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

He shouldn't have made it out of the theater parking lot!!

We needed the intel.

We needed to know who, and what we were dealing with, were there others, and other threats. So on that basis alone, I believe the officers did the right thing in taking him alive.

Absolutely. Execute him, and soon

The cost SHOULD BE one bullet. When execution costs run into seven-figure, we've lost our way.

Steve
Dead.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Well put Holmes aside for the moment, I don't think any of us would argue he is out of his gourde, do we execute the insane and mentally ill in this country? Do we execute the soldier who comes home messed up out of his mind and kills somebody?

If they are deemed sane enough to be out in public on their own recognizance, then yes. Soldiers and all.

Originally Posted by djs

more from the left wing. Keeping a fellow alive for 30 more years costs MUCH more than executing him.
That does not even begin to consider that he needs to die for what he did.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
If mass murders do not qualify for a death penalty, they why have it.
Absolutely, yes.

of course, down under, you guys don't execute anyone, for any reason, right?

Not anymore. The last execution was Ronald Ryan in 1968, hanged in Victoria.
No he should not be executed. He is clearly insane and needs to be incarcerated in a mental facility. He is the same as the guy that shot Giffords. He needs to be treated the same way. Given the possible rounds of endless appeals it is unlikely he would ever be executed, especially in Colorado which haven't executed anyone on a couple of decades. We still have a moral obligation to treat everyone with decency.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The cost SHOULD BE one bullet. When execution costs run into seven-figure, we've lost our way.

Steve

You are forgetting the fifteen years of appeals.
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
No he should not be executed. He is clearly insane and needs to be incarcerated in a mental facility. He is the same as the guy that shot Giffords. He needs to be treated the same way. Given the possible rounds of endless appeals it is unlikely he would ever be executed, especially in Colorado which haven't executed anyone on a couple of decades. We still have a moral obligation to treat everyone with decency.
if he was sane enough to plan, and carry out the attack, he is sane enough to die for it. Same with the guy that shot Rep. Giffords. We have no 'moral obligation' to look at things the wrong way.
The sooner the better.
Should the Colorado Theater Shooter be Executed?

GD right he should be!

Right behind the ear, with one of those coveted .22lr rounds...

Of course he's crazy, but he ain't stupid. Put him down like the rabid dog he is.
No one has a problem with putting down an animal that is crazed, I don't see any difference in this case.
Yes, and I'd volunteer to do it.
His conviction and death sentence will never get past SCOTUS.
Don't worry, TRH is on site giving him an extensive psych eval.

I'm sure the CIA made the poor boy do it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I wont bring peace it'll bring closure.

KILL HIM!!!!!! Let Holmes' parents know what the other 12 parents feel like!
Yes.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Charles Manson comes up parole review every few years. What's to keep them from turning him loose? If they'd executed him 30 years ago, there would be no risk.

Manson was condemned to die. The Supreme Court of California threw out the death penalty in 1972. So Manson was re-sentenced to Life under the laws that existed at the time. This is why Manson is parole eligible. But he'll never be paroled.
Originally Posted by OU812Day
No one has a problem with putting down an animal that is crazed, I don't see any difference in this case.

The PETA defense?
Animals equate to humans? frown
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

Why the urge to punish his parents, did they drive him to the theater?
With Mason, Debra Tate, gets to relive that murder again and again every time he comes of for parole along with the rest of them, were is the compassion and Justice for the ones he murdered or had murdered? He should have gone to the Gas Chamber in 1972, now its 2015 and he is going to Marry! As for this Colorado clown, he gets his day in court, he gets what is coming to him, a conviction, they sentence him to death, he gets one appeal and then he gets to ride the needle or how ever it is the wish to put this turd in the ground! We got a pair here in CT but our current Governor, signed off on the Death Penalty here, then again he is big on gun control for us peasants, while his kid gets off for criminal possession of a firearm and drug trafficking! As George Orwell said - Some Pigs are more equal that other pigs!
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm for it.

Of course mommy doesn't want her son killed. No shock there.

yept.......rumor the firing squad coming back to Utah....

thats too good for that POS.........

I hope the Death Penalty is always a tough call for every jury deciding on it
Execute him ASAP
NOT ONLY YES BUT HELL YES.SLOW AND PAINFUL AS POSSIBLE.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Execute him ASAP

Therein lies the problem, "execute" and ASAP are an impossibility. 10 years minimum when the death penalty's involved.
He needs to be removed from society, permanently.
Otherwise the survivors, and family of the victims will be drug through the parole system constantly.
The execution should happen within 1 year.
Yup, and I should be wealthy and retired already.
Execute him, immediately.
Originally Posted by J23
Execute him, immediately.

What if it were you? He, just like you, deserve to be held accountable and judged according to Colorados laws. We are a nation of laws, not cold ruthless killers. A month ago you waved the legal system in front of Big Mikes parents, yet now you have become an executioner.
We still have a moral obligation to treat everyone with decency.

I agree with your premise, yet come to exactly the opposite conclusion using your own logic. Life in prison sentenced to rot for life is not a "moral decency." Execution is far less barbaric than life in prison.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I agree with your premise, yet come to exactly the opposite conclusion using your own logic. Life in prison sentenced to rot for life is not a "moral decency." Execution is far less barbaric than life in prison.

He needs to be held accountable according to the laws of Colorado and judged by a jury of his peers and sentenced accordingly. We are a nation of laws. Y'all would have him executed without due process.

He needs to be held accountable according to the laws of Colorado and judged by a jury of his peers and sentenced accordingly. We are a nation of laws. Y'all would have him executed without due process.

We will give him due process. We will sentence him to death, then our chickenshit Governor will pardon him.
yes Mike, when humans act like animals. laugh
Bang. End of story.
I'm thinking there will eventually be a plea deal with him getting life without parole. Boston bomber will do the same deal.
Yes.
Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes, if he is sane, he'll dread it and weep as his life fades.
And, if he is insane, then he won't realize that he won't be home for breakfast the next day.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Steve

Steve, electricity (or a bullet) is cheap, but it takes a dozen years of so for the legal system to play out. All the appeals are both expensive and lengthy; I didn't make the rules (as for the appeals process), but the Supreme Court has accepted the whole process. If someone doesn't like it, they can change the law.

As for the cost, consider the long term incarceration in special, isolated facilities (death row), the few (maybe a dozen or less) prisoners, requiring close individual guarding (24/7) by a high guard/prisoner ration, etc. Additionally, death cases require expensive legal representation, which is expensive.

As I said, the whole death penalty issue is an expensive proposition and since taxpayer money is in short supply and there are other needs (education, infrastructure, etc.), as long as the guilty will never see the outside again, why not save money and just keep him (or her) confined for life. I would keep them segregated from the general population and not allow them the "comforts" of prison life, but save the money for the outside world.
The death penalty is easily summed up. If you kill someone, you should die if it was planned or outright murder. Accidents are a different animal. We wont get into that here.

But murder gets you dead. It should anyway. 30 days to get your head where you want it, and set your affairs in order. Then, BANG! No life in prison and no seven figure costs. No botching the execution would be easy enough, bring several bullets.

This concept drives home the point to people that it is NOT ok to be out murdering. You WILL die if you murder. Trial will occur as per our legal system, but once it is over, you might get an appeal, but if convicted, BANG!

Why make it any harder than it has to be?

Should the parents of the recently executed feel bad? Yes, because they love their child. Ok, but your adult child committed a murder. As such, he must pay the price for his crime. Does that make an executioner a bad person? No, just a person doing their job.

The parents of the victims of the murder are in pain. The parents of the murderer are also in pain that their child did this. Unfortunately, they get more pain after he is killed. Facts of life.

Life aint fair, and if you are gonna be a criminal, life can be damn hard on you and your family.

Did the other 12 drive their kids?

Does either one of those statements matter?

What matters is he MURDERED 12 people,A life for a life!

My statement was made because of his parents pleading over his case. He had mental illness, institutionalize him!!
Good post ironeagle!!!
yes, publicly... before any other nutcases get any ideas.
Yes, and should take place before years end.
It is for the jury to decode after they hear the facts.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

I agree, who wants a blanket execution for the vet who shot Chris Kyle, what do we know about his troubles? Obviously that boy wasn't right in the head to shoot a fellow solider trying to help him through a hard time. Can't say, but I wonder what the odds of that guy shooting somebody was before he went overseas?

Did the other 12 drive their kids?

Does either one of those statements matter?

What matters is he MURDERED 12 people,A life for a life!

My statement was made because of his parents pleading over his case. He had mental illness, institutionalize him!!

So, was he mentally deranged, would you beg for your son?

Have you ever tried to institutionalize somebody over the age of 18? If you have, and you succeeded, my hats off to you.
I'd like for him to be killed. Ideally, the victims and their families should have a crack at him.
Shove a bayonet through his chest and be done with it.

They can rinse off the bayonet and reuse it on another deserving PoS.
Give him the needle. Too bad they don't use the chair anymore.

tom

I agree, who wants a blanket execution for the vet who shot Chris Kyle, what do we know about his troubles? Obviously that boy wasn't right in the head to shoot a fellow solider trying to help him through a hard time. Can't say, but I wonder what the odds of that guy shooting somebody was before he went overseas?

Un-friggin'-real. The PRK is truly a jacked up place.
Burn him.
He worked for Obama's re-election, now he's insane or was he then?
If it's broke send it back to the factory! That POS destroyed several lives so I have no issue with removing his ability to breathe.

Our Criminal Justice system looks at things different when it comes people who are clinically proven to be "insane" and it is a Legal Defense that can be used.

Both "temporary insanity" or "insanity" are used in the court of law. Reason stands that insane people are unable to understand their actions therefore are not accountable for their actions. Society cannot punish them by putting them into prison but cannot leave them in society.

They are removed from society (psyche hospital) usually for their lifetime. Some however do rehabilitate and reintegrate into society?
Originally Posted by 4ager

Un-friggin'-real. The PRK is truly a jacked up place.

OK, well you didn't answer the question did you? Death for Chris Kyles's killer?
Yes.
Kill him.

OK, well you didn't answer the question did you? Death for Chris Kyles's killer?

If it was murder, then yes. Sadly, adding anything to what makes it ok, like PTSD, insanity, and anything else, simply paves the way for more stuff to make murder ok.
Yes.
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

If it was murder, then yes. Sadly, adding anything to what makes it ok, like PTSD, insanity, and anything else, simply paves the way for more stuff to make murder ok.

Come on, nobody is saying murder is OK.
Maybe not, but its hard to argue that when people know they wont be killed for murder, that they are more likely to commit murder knowing that they are facing a life in prison rather than a bullet.
This guy is obviously out of his gourde, if we as a society want to put guys like this down, well, OK, I don't feel that strongly about it either way. Either way we look at it, his life is pretty much over. He enlisted, he served, it royally phuggered him up, put him down.

Routh�s days at the Erath County Jail have not been placid ones. He was tasered by a guard a few hours after being booked, and his combativeness kept a mental-health expert from even completing her assessment of whether he is competent to stand trial�a question that remains. In a recent episode, Routh yanked his television from the wall, blocked his shower drain, and tried to flood the cell. He cannot sustain a cogent conversation.
I try to be a Good Christian, and believe all life is sacred. I struggle with believing Mr. and Mrs. Holmes son's life is sacred, he has destroyed many families and thought nothing of it. Diminished mental capacity or not , he should not be allowed to continue sharing our planet..... May God refrain from showing him any mercy or grace when they meet.
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I try to be a Good Christian, and believe all life is sacred. I struggle with believing Mr. and Mrs. Holmes son's life is sacred, he has destroyed many families and thought nothing of it. Diminished mental capacity or not , he should not be allowed to continue sharing our planet..... May God refrain from showing him any mercy or grace when they meet.

But he will.
I guess that i see it from a taxpayer perspective. Why should ANYONE have to pay to keep people who murdered others alive? I know he served, and he has severe issues, however, if found guilty of murder, it should end for him.

Crime, punishment.

Same line of thinking to those who buy their way out of the punishment aspect of their crimes.
Anyone that murders others is out of their gourde
Anyone that murders others is out of their gourde

Not all the time. We have all expressed understanding for those who murder those who molest or rape their children.

If Polly Klass's father would have reached Richard Allen Davis in the courtroom that day, he would have got a big "not guilty" from me.
Mike you are really, REALLY invested in anti death penalty. Why is that?
I thought that was obvious, forgot that I need to spell everything out.
Mike you are really, REALLY invested in anti death penalty. Why is that?

Why is it you think I'm anti-death penalty?

Scott made the point that anyone who kills is out of his gourde. Not at all, gang bangers are not out of their minds, they choose to kill for reasons of their own, thieves, home invaders, carjackers, they all kill for gain, everyone of those bastards should get their own needle. That is a big difference from somebody who thinks the neighbors cat told him to kill.
I thought that was obvious, forgot that I need to spell everything out.

No, you don't have to spell jack out, just make a cogent point instead of talking in innuendo.
Again, they are out of their gourde. I don't have any reason to kill other than to protect.

There is no difference between Bundy and a guy that kills a family for financial gain in a home invasion. You have to be nuts to have the mindset that 'I will kill'. Bundy did if for his own needs, just as the guy that kicked in the door of a house.

You have to be out of your gourde to kill because it is a gang initiation.

Originally Posted by wyoming260

But he will.
And this is why I struggle to be a GOOD follower of Christ. I am sure the Lord's plan is more thought out and complete then mine. My human sense of the world lacks His complete vision and plan.
You have to be out of your gourde to kill because it is a gang initiation.

Well most of those bangers will do their best to get away after their act of cowardice, what did Holmes do? He walked out into the parking lot and sat down.

Bundy did his killing for his own gratification, as did Kemper and Manson, any clue at all why the vet killed Kyle or why the theater shooter would dress up as the joker?

I think there is a difference between those who kill because they are extreme Psychopaths, which is different than the guy who thinks he is the Joker in a Batman movie.

But as I said, this is mostly discussion, either way their lives are over, stick a needle in them, or drug them until they drool, their lives are over.

I think in most cases I would hear out the families, hear what they need for closure or honor their request for forgiveness. Joker isn't going anywhere.
That white spot in chicken shiet is still chicken shiet.
That white spot in chicken shiet is still chicken shiet.

But some chicken schitt is all white.

Don't ask me what that means, I don't have an answer for you, I just thought it sounded witty, so I through it out there. wink
I can tell you that defending a murderer can drive a serious wedge in a relationship.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Why imprison a person who cannot be rehabilitated to where he can be released back into society? The death penalty seems appropriate to me in this case. We'd be listening to the same arguments in the Adam Lanza case were it not for him having chosen the cowards way out by committing suicide. Both were coherent enough to make and carry out plans for their evil deeds and should not be allowed to hide behind the insanity defense.

Very good point

In answer to the OP's question, yes, he should be executed.

If it were up to me, the State would not ask for the victims' families' opinions on the matter.

If it were up to me, insanity would be an argument in favor of death, not against.

Absolutely agree with that. If found guilty, he should be given the death penalty, and that penalty should not take a decade to carry out either. That is not "moral decency."
NO!
Burned at the stake
3 days of Comanche conversation
Drawn and quartered
Pegged down over a fire ant mound
Slowly immersed in sulfuric acid... SLOWLY

but not just executed...
I can tell you that defending a murderer can drive a serious wedge in a relationship.

Uh-oh.
He's still alive?!

"Have you ever tried to institutionalize somebody over the age of 18? If you have, and you succeeded, my hats off to you."

Therein is the problem... Most of the massacres are those who in the past were sent to a State Hospital when it was recognized as being a danger to themselves and others. Now we have unmedicated and under medicated paranoid lunatics with access to guns. Here's one example of how little we've learned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton_schoolyard_shooting

This was in 1989. Why wasn't he in prison or a mental institution?
YES! And I might add it should be televised on every channel like the state of the union address and shouldn't be sensored in any way.

Uh-oh.

Uh-oh what?
Originally Posted by Scott F
It is for the jury to decode after they hear the facts.

In CO the judge imposes the sentence.
In answer to the question raised by the OP:

Absolutely.

Immediately if not sooner.

Lady justice does not hold a sword for walking stick.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

In answer to the OP's question, yes, he should be executed.

If it were up to me, the State would not ask for the victims' families' opinions on the matter.

If it were up to me, insanity would be an argument in favor of death, not against.

I completely agree with each of your points. Well said.
Nailed it! ^
As far as the insanity defense, he fails the test. He planned his atrocity over several months. If he was really so goofy that he just thought he was a character in a movie, and didn't realize what he was doing was wrong, he couldn't have kept it a secret over that time. He knew it was wrong, and that's the crux.
In a single word......YES!

maddog
Every man should have his day in court. Should take 2 - 3 days.
Then take him out back and hang him. Hang 'em high !
He deserves the needle along with Nathan Dunlap the Chuckee Cheeses murder. Put a T in that line and get them both at the same time. Our yellow belly governor won't sign the death warrent! Puke
yes. the sooner, the better.
© 24hourcampfire