Home
Posted By: krp Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Wasn't considering a big get together this winter like we have been doing, the consensus seemed to be Quemado in the summer was enough. I have a new job, others are busy...

But what the hell, mudhen and dennis want to do something, so at least us three... plus whoever else.

February 20/21/22... Tonto basin area, dispersed camping(meaning out in the desert no campground)... to be determined by Dennis scouting next week.

Close to the same area as last year but not at the lake.

Camping, shooting, eating and possibly drinking... you know...

All invited, be there or be square.

I'll have Saturday dinner and sunday breakfast, Dennis will have Friday dinner and Ben burritos saturday morning.

Kent
Posted By: KC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15

Kent:

I'll jump at the chance to get away from Colorado cold again. Put me and Patty on the list.

KC

Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
That'll be great!

Kent
I have quite a few irons in the fire, but if I can make it, I will. That area is my old stomping grounds. Spent many a day there with a smile on my face.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
more important kent, are you going to cook fish?
I think I have enough, my brother was fishing the last couple days, I'll see what he has also.

Kent
If I can make it I'll be there. Probably Colin too
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Kent - thanks for doing this and for that which you and others are volunteering. Can't be certain yet but sure want to join you fine folks and will (and will bring stuff) if all goes well in the meantime.
I missed quemado last summer so looking forward to seeing you reprobates again.

Less formal planning, doubt we'll do a big group PM in the time allowed. Bring some shooting chit and bring yourself.

Anyone wanting hotel info contact Dennis or me and we'll give the info, there will be a hotel within a few miles and restaurants if our cooking sucks.

Kent
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Bump
Originally Posted by krp
Wasn't considering a big get together this winter like we have been doing, the consensus seemed to be Quemado in the summer was enough. I have a new job, others are busy...

But what the hell, mudhen and dennis want to do something, so at least us three... plus whoever else.

February 20/21/22... Tonto basin area, dispersed camping(meaning out in the desert no campground)... to be determined by Dennis scouting next week.

I'll have Saturday dinner and sunday breakfast, Dennis will have Friday dinner and Ben burritos saturday morning.

Kent

Is there anything for a non-drinker to do at these gatherings?
Posted By: rattler Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

its worth going.....its not a drunk fest by any means....
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Kent

Is Jack going?

If I'm not working, I will try to make it up there!
Posted By: azcoues Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
basically the only real drinking is done after the dinner meal sitting around the campfire -

quite a few none drinkers are always around

if at all possible - I'm in -- I've always enjoyed the time spent with guys from this group at other such events.

No one liked being supervised on every little fart etc at the campground last yr.

Should be a good time for anyone attending - most try to bring food or treats or items to be shared and enjoyed by others
Originally Posted by azcoues
basically the only real drinking is done after the dinner meal sitting around the campfire -

quite a few none drinkers are always around

if at all possible - I'm in -- I've always enjoyed the time spent with guys from this group at other such events.

No one liked being supervised on every little fart etc at the campground last yr.

Should be a good time for anyone attending - most try to bring food or treats or items to be shared and enjoyed by others

I hoped to go last time but it didn't work so I'm going to try again. I bet everybody has a good time. Maybe see you then.

Ivan
Working down on the border that week. Would like to meet some of the new locals. Maybe next time.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Fetch drinks for the drinkers?

I had a great time last year, please put me on the list.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Saturday Dennis sets out steel for a big shoot with events. We should be in a spot where folks can shoot anytime.

Plenty of non drinkers, others enjoy sharing what they brought around the campfire in the evening, haven't seen anyone drunk yet.

Hope you can make it.

Kent
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Kent

Is Jack going?

If I'm not working, I will try to make it up there!

He has to take a guy javalina hunting in the same spot we took Sofie, is hoping to tag out early then make it to the camp.

Kent
Put me on the list Kent.
I can possibly make it. Can't say for sure right now.
Cool guys!

Keep it coming and after Dennis scouts out the exact location monday we will firm it all up.

We've been averaging 40+ but may not have that many on short notice, but there looks to be plenty coming already and more will be chiming in.

Prepare for a good time.

Kent
Posted By: DARBY Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Heard from Ken - he got his courage up enough to be riding down with me. I'll be looking into accommodations.

I suggest we make a rule that Dennis cannot compete in the shooting event. cool

Hope Tom and Ron won't be able to make it cool cool.
Gonna try make it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Originally Posted by DARBY
Heard from Ken - he got his courage up enough to be riding down with me. I'll be looking into accommodations.

I suggest we make a rule that Dennis cannot compete in the shooting event. cool

Hope Tom and Ron won't be able to make it cool cool.

I fervently hope to disappoint you...
ah tom, darby is just being darby. I am a kinder and gentler person this year, and trying to resist those normal temptations that would lead me astray. One could ask if darby can actually make it down that far. Even I know the right kind of fuel to put in MY truck.
this is a little off topic, well maybe not. But in the 1800's the calvary trapped a bunch of indians in a cave up near that area, and shot them all. I have always been interested in going to that cave. I believe you need a boat to cross to where it's at. Anybody been there and know how to find it?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
ah tom, darby is just being darby. I am a kinder and gentler person this year, and trying to resist those normal temptations that would lead me astray. One could ask if darby can actually make it down that far. Even I know the right kind of fuel to put in MY truck.

this is a little off topic, well maybe not. But in the 1800's the calvary trapped a bunch of indians in a cave up near that area, and shot them all. I have always been interested in going to that cave. I believe you need a boat to cross to where it's at. Anybody been there and know how to find it?

I've read that story too, didn't know that the actual location was known. I'd like to tag along for that.
I'm interested! Especially if I can get out of Turkey in time.

I'm in PA right now, had to make a unscheduled flight early wednesday morning. Funeral is Saturday and I should catch a flight back on Monday.

Hard telling if I'll be able to make it or not, but I know I'd sure like to see you folks.

Jon
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Fetch drinks for the drinkers?

HA! Now that's an idea!

I suppose the weather situation will be mostly dry so what temperature should we be expecting?
Here is a guesstamate:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/punkin-center-az/85541/february-weather/346862?monyr=2/1/2015

It is accessible only by boat on Canyon lake.

We're pulling for you Jon.

Summertime!

I haven't seen seventy degrees for a loooong time!

Ron,
I read an old book called "on the border with Crook" they talk about something like that with the Apaches. Could that be the same cave? I will have to go back and read that part again. It was written by John Burke who was one of Crooks junior officers and claims to have been with Crook through most of his campaigns against the indians.
Kent, I doubt that I will make it, but you never know. grin miles
I wouldn't bet against you.

Kent
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/16/15
Me neither.
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1

Ron,
I read an old book called "on the border with Crook" they talk about something like that with the Apaches. Could that be the same cave? I will have to go back and read that part again. It was written by John Burke who was one of Crooks junior officers and claims to have been with Crook through most of his campaigns against the indians.

Sounds just like the spot in "on the Border with Crook" for sure. I love that country!! Wishful I could be there with yall!!!
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/16/15
Skeleton cave above Canyon lake... they left the dead in the cave, a bunch, women and kids too.

Yavapai, who no longer claim to be Apache, but they did when I was a kid growing up and went to school with them.

Kent
Was kinda suprised when I found out that my GG grandmother who was a Gatewood had a nephew who was one Charles Gatewood. Actually I think he was a great nephew.
They called him big nose... Bse Chee or something like that.

Kent
That is true!! Oldest lieutenant in the US Army. Tough being a southerner in the army in those days. wink
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by krp
Skeleton cave above Canyon lake... they left the dead in the cave, a bunch, women and kids too.

Yavapai, who no longer claim to be Apache, but they did when I was a kid growing up and went to school with them.

Kent
It's complicated. some of them are, and some of them aren't, and there might have been a little more understanding, or respect, granted to an "Apache" in the 1960's or 1970's.

A really good book about the Yavapais is "Surviving Conquest" by Braatz.

I THINK I remember that Mike Burns, a well know Indian scout in later years was captured as a child a few days before the massacre, and therefore survived the destruction of his family and band.

Sycamore
My grandfather and his father homesteaded a few parcels in Geronimo country. Silver City, Alma, then sell them off, all while farming cotton in Safford and sometimes working for the mines in Clifton.

My dad was born there and took us boys deer hunting there when we were old enough. We'd hunt Eagle creek and Alma mesa, he'd say,' they had some big fights around here chasing Geronimo'.

Interesting as a kid chasing muleys in the pine and juniper canyons.

Kent
Weather should be from high 30s to low 70s unless a storm comes in, last year was perfect.

I won't be there till sometime saturday morning and stay till sunday. Dennis will setup friday.

Hotels close are Tonto Basin Inn and Pumpkin Center Lodge.

Best restaurant is the Butcher Hook, really good food, has a store, gas station and bar. Owned by the local rancher family and the beef is from there.

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/17/15
Up to about 25 that hope to make it so far.

Kent
I should be free that weekend. I'd like to swing by and put some faces to names...

Maybe make this a sticky?
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/18/15
Wife, brother and I are up at apache for a couple days.

[Linked Image]
Have fun
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/19/15
Topping out at Tortilla flats above Canyon lake, looking back, where Skeleton cave is a few miles, but many canyons away.

[Linked Image]
OK, I scouted some spots out today. Forest Service had some of the gates locked so I couldn't get into a couple spots that I had high hopes for.

This spot is directly across S.R. 188 from Punkin Center on F.R. 409. Proceed 1.75 miles to road end (well it splits) take right fork and go .4 miles to pull out where we will camp. Kent should be along to post more info and a google earth snapshot.

Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/20/15
Ok, Dennis scouted out different area and the best combo of camp and shoot is here. Across from Pumpkin Center on the 409 FS road.

From the north come to Payson and down to 188... from the south/east come to Globe then up 188... from the phoenix area go up 87 and come down 188.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks Dennis and Kent!
For those that want to virtual camp, the coordinates are:
33� 52.369' N
111� 20.786' W
Roughly 2700' MSL
Man......have a business trip scheduled those dates. Might have to see if I can move a few things around and make this happen.

Darned good of you fellers to set this up!
Hope you can make it.

Kent
Bacon? cool grin
Right now there are about 15 confirmed and another 20 that hope to make it.

I imagine the number to be around 25 to 30, usually we have 40ish but this was short notice.

Kent
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Bacon? cool grin

Uhhh... Duuuh...

Kent
The only thing more sexy than the pool boy...

...is the bacon boy...

Kent
I got a new regulator for my stove so ALL 3 burners work now blush
Originally Posted by krp

...is the bacon boy...

Kent

Sig line material right there!
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

^^^^^SWEET!!!!

So lookin forward to another 'fire spring break.
Originally Posted by krp

...is the bacon boy...

Kent

TFF...

I'll bring some stuff.

We truly don't need coffee pots, cookware, stoves or lanterns.

I'll bring the big canopy also.

[Linked Image]
Gosh I wished I could join you guys & gals but bit of short notice. Have a son in the Queens Creek area so would be two birds with one stone. Have a great time and maybe next year
we can make it. Cheers NC
Could use a couple tables and some chairs. I have about 8 chairs.

Kent
I will bring a 6 foot folding table.
My daughter lives in Queencreek as do many of my friends.

We will probably have a few from your area coming along with some from Colorado.

Kent
I will bring a 6 foot folding table.

Thanks Brian.

Kent
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/20/15
I can bring several folding tables. Camp chairs seem to be giving up the ghost. I started with six at the second Quemado gathering and am now down to three. Time for a trip to WalMart...
Once again, this falls on a weekend of too many things to do and not enough days to do it. mad
Have my boy in scouts going on a cold camp in Flagstaff and my cousin coming down from MN for champion R/C racing in Suprize. He will be borrowing my motorhome for his family that weekend.
One of these days I will get to come to another get together with you guys again. laugh
Damn it Joe... you are a crappy event attender but a good dad for sure.

Kent
If I don't go on the cold camp, and I get everything set up for my cousin, I might be able to sneak away for a few hours and visit or camp Saturday night. Working on my options.
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
If I don't go on the cold camp, and I get everything set up for my cousin, I might be able to sneak away for a few hours and visit or camp Saturday night. Working on my options.

Hoping you can make it.
Posted By: KC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/20/15

Kent & Dennis:

Remember that little travel trailer that I had last year? Can I pull that into the camp site?

KC

Yes, I have a fifth wheel and some others may have trailers, so that was important.

Kent
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/20/15
There is a good chance I will be there.
If you are still in San Diego, you're only 5 1/2 hours from my place and another hour to camp.

Kent
Our plan right now,is to leave early Saturday morning and get there in time for the BS'ing to really start flowing.
Better put your bogger tires on then...

Kent
Shouldn't be a problem. Road is only rough as you get into the camp itself.
Originally Posted by krp
Better put your bogger tires on then...

Kent
Good idea. grin
Kent,

I would like to show up. Do some of the guys bring their wives or is this just a guy thing? Also what kind of shooting do you do, (pistols, rifles, shotguns???) Also what can I bring to help with the food etc.

Bart
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/21/15
Wives welcome, mine will be there, KC's wife Patty, Judy, Jon's wife if he can make it. More people show up at Quemado and there are lots of women there.

Main meals will be organized by Dennis, Ben and I, there will be other stuff to bring and we'll finalize who want's to bring what when we get a better feeling on the attendees about a week out.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/21/15
Dennis runs the shoot, though there is plenty of shooting at any time and all kinds of guns used.

Kent
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by krp
Dennis runs and wins the shoot, though there is plenty of shooting at any time and all kinds of guns used.

Kent

Fixed it for you. grin
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/21/15
OK DS, Scott put the bar way up there for ya'. Better be sharpened up - and make sure to shoot your own target.

To all - Dennis does a fine job - makes for lots of enjoyment.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/21/15
Yes he does.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Unless the creek gets too high or the snow too deep, me and possibly two more of the pack will be there.

Ivan
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/24/15
Cool!

Kent
Make this a sticky Mr. RickBin. Please. Pretty Please. smile
Dammit! A month too early. Not headed that way with the passion pit until the next month to UT, CO, AZ, NM.
Posted By: kend Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/24/15
I wish I was going to be in Mesa this year, but have a project going here at home. I met some good people at last years get together.
I'm going up there this morning to help Jeff scout for javelina. I will try and take some photos.
Still no news on if I'll be able to make it. I'll be getting stateside on 4 feb. From there I'll need to pack my schit and drive to ABQ.

Hard telling if I'm gonna need to find a place to live etc... I might be shoulder deep in buying a house. I'll keep you guys posted. I'd really like to make it down there.
Hope you can make it Jm. smile
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/25/15
Campsite...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sweet...

I see a spot for my tent, cooler, chair and lemonade stand... cool grin
Bacon stand...

Kent
oh yeah...

Ribs hurt I'm laffin so hard...
I think I have spotted a good place to park my old Alaskan, right next to the well.
As soon as Brian the bacon boy sets up camp, everyone crowds up close to him... not that I'm jealous or anything...

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
As soon as Brian the bacon boy sets up camp, everyone crowds up close to him... not that I'm jealous or anything...

Kent

Not if Mles shows up and sets up the 8 year old Dickels with a cork stand...
Any prairie dogs down around there?
Not here, I think there are some in northern az.

Kent
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/25/15
Any prairie dogs down around there?

Black-tailed prairie dogs in Arizona cannot be legally hunted. They were extirpated in Arizona during the last third of the twentieth century. They have been reintroduced in several areas in southeastern Arizona during the last few years and are protected.
Originally Posted by krp
Not here, I think there are some in northern az.

Kent
Yeah, but those are Gunnison prairie dogs and they are federally listed as endangered.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/25/15
Mud,

I think the Gunnisons in Arizona are legal. Seligman is the hot spot. There are some (were at least) closed areas where they re-introduced some black footed ferret, Aubrey Valley.

Season is July through March, and last half of June (so closed 2.5 months)

Sycamore
Originally Posted by krp
Campsite...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh that's making it tough! smile. Love that country!!! You fellas have a great time!!!
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Mud,

I think the Gunnisons in Arizona are legal. Seligman is the hot spot. There are some (were at least) closed areas where they re-introduced some black footed ferret, Aubrey Valley.

Season is July through March, and last half of June (so closed 2.5 months)

Sycamore
Yep, I stand corrected.

From the web site: "All mammals not classified as game mammals, predatory animals, or furbearers are considered "nongame mammals." These include opossums, coatis, black-footed ferrets, Gunnison's prairie dogs, black-tailed prairie dogs, wolves, jaguars, ocelots, and porcupines. Of these, only Gunnison's prairie dogs and coatis may be taken during an open season, with the bag limit on coatis being one per calendar year. No season for the taking of jaguars, ocelots, wolves, or porcupines exists.
You'd like it Bob, we may be camping on an old Salado ruin, if not there will be one close. Often I will pause when I cross one while hunting, squat and pick up a shard, look out to see what they saw every day of their life, imagining the smoke from thousands of ruins along the creek, babys crying, women grinding maze, hunters coming in... they were here and I'm here now... who will come after?

May the winds of good fortune blow across your family.

We'll be here again and there is always a place for old and new friends.

Kent
Not if Mles shows up and sets up the 8 year old Dickels with a cork stand...

It is all dependent of what happens with my back. Had an MRI last week and hope to see the Doctor this week. MRI was ready Friday, but did not hear from the Doc as of yet. I doubt that I will be there, but maybe. There will be some Dickel, if I come. Darby and I will need to have a Drink over his Ohio State football team. Others can join in. miles
I had to go down to the radiology to get my MRI results after waiting to hear from the Dr. I had to call them to tell them the results.

Kent
Yeah, I swung by and got the other one on the way to the Dr. This Dr. ordered it, so I don't know if he told them to send it or I will have to pick it up. It is another damn waiting game. I sometimes think that they are hoping I will die or give up before they have to do something. miles
YOU"RE GONNA DIE!!!! need an MRI stat...

Week later... uuuhhh, am I gonna die?

[bleep] if we know, we been busy, you can go request your results, I'll check my computer later to see if they sent the results last week...

Kent
It is about the same way at a Dr. office that it was at our office at the Highway Department. Every time us field people heard from them, it was do this or that to make it easier for the office people. But when you went to the office they were all standing around talking and playing grab ass. miles
Thanks for putting the pics up Kent- There are a couple of spots to shoot handguns and rifles and a really sporting clays range. A few of you should bring your scatterguns and I will bring a case of clays and someone else can bring one. I will take a chainsaw and pick on Friday and make the road into the trailer spots better so KC doesn't tear the siding off his Airstream.

I found a better place for trailers but it was wide open, vegetation free and ugly. At least we have Buckhorn ridge in the background to look at and plenty of cedar and mesquite trees.
Dennis, thank you for all the effort you put into these great events.
OK couple more photos- not sure when I will get up there again.

Found this nearby while checking a spot out

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I can't get it to rotate...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My photobucket isn't working this morning- it is unilaterally rotating photos to mess with me.

This is the shooting range
[Linked Image]
And the first parking space

[Linked Image]
Is any one going on Thursday?
I can't be there till saturday or late friday night. Dennis will go up friday. I was contemplating going up and setting my trailer up for Dennis and get the spot. Early in the week or the weekend before.

If you want to go up thursday and camp sit I will for sure have something there before hand.

Kent
I may go up Thursday night if Jeff wants to start his pig hunt then. At this point- I won't go up until Friday morning some time.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/25/15
Wish I could be there. Perhaps Quemado.
Prepping for the get together and fired up the press...

[Linked Image]
Whatcha loading?
Hey Dennis, I am loading pistol rounds. Today was 158 lswc 38spcls.

Will try get some 45 acp and 45colt loaded.

Also gonna work up some medium warm 357s for k frames.
I'll have to send some components home with you and have you load me some 357s! I am all but out.
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Wish I could be there. Perhaps Quemado.

Damn it, hopefully next time.

Kent
I just may have the wherewithal to make this one,....

Dennis, how's that "impact area" look for 2 1/4" round balls ?

GTC
Even on short notice this is rounding out to be a humdinger of an event, we may get close to 40 yet.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Even on short notice this is rounding out to be a humdinger of an event, we may get close to 40 yet.

Kent

It's the bacon... grin
Even this thread wasn't going anywhere till you mentioned bacon...

Kent
Dang, too bad Keith can't make it.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I just may have the wherewithal to make this one,....

Dennis, how's that "impact area" look for 2 1/4" round balls ?

GTC

Anything goes here. The road veers away and if you can shoot far enough- you might hit the mountain!

The sporting clays range is off a ridge so your targets can fall 150' if wanted!
I had turkey 'medallions' wrapped in bacon for dinner tonight cry
Dang, too bad Keith can't make it.

No, that's good.

More bacon for the rest of us.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Dennis, how's that "impact area" look for 2 1/4" round balls ? GTC

Greg - are you planning on sitting down?
grin
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/26/15
I believe Dennis has a little gift for you. May the transfer could take place.
I still have it- been hoping we could get together this winter.
Scott, you gonna show up?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/28/15
I am trying my best. It is the brother in law thing that might keep me home.
Hey Scott.

Maybe...

Just maybe...

I can give ya some incentive...

Ya need

any...

powder????

cool smile grin

Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/28/15
Hey Scott.

Maybe...

Just maybe...

I can give ya some incentive...

Ya need

any...

powder????

cool smile grin

naw just use these two words in a sentence, long colt.
There may be an 1885 long colt in Arizona.

Hey Ron,

How was that? grin
don't know if you are interested, but got an email from midway today. They have 150grain sierra flatpoints for 30.30 in stock.
been a while.
if scott comes, i will bring
TWO stainless old style vacquero's with a matching double gun belt in seven inch, and a cross draw for a 4 3/4inch he can play with. Maybe even the marlin .45 colt cowboy rifle. And I believe you have one that belongs here or should belong here.
You can shoot clays with the 45 rifle!
Posted By: memtb Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/28/15

krp, If some of these are still happening in 1,070 days, maybe I'll finally get to attend one! Wishing all of you a "GREAT" time!! memtb
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/28/15
You guys don't have to try to convince me. If the BIL improves I will be there. It is all up to him and the cancer in his brain.

I have been home, our Oregon home that is, sick in bed since Friday but my poor wife is still at the hospital holding her sister together for the last nine days straight.

I have been looking for TAC powder and yes I would love to shake hand with all your 45 LC pistols but non of you will let me adopt one. wink
You can shoot clays with the 45 rifle!

off topic, but interesting little thing. Was fooling with a marlin lever in .41mag. It has the cross bolt safety. it will not allow you to load through the gate ammo unless you have the cross bolt on safe. Wierd.
lawyers are a wonderful thing, you have the cross bolt safety, the little button under the lever, a half cock hammer, and you might accidently load the gun without the safety being on?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/29/15
There is a plan in the back of my evil conspiracy little mind. Fly to San Diego for work then since I am the president of the company I will do my best to convince the vice president we need to make a trip to AZ to chat with a few contractors about expanding into AZ. Since the trip could be dangerous we would both have to carry 1911s and maybe bring a rifle too. Five to six our drive each way in the company truck. The VP likes to shoot to and it great company.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/29/15
Looks like it worked. There may be two of us there. The VP sounds like he took the bait.
Gonna need more bacon... grin
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/30/15
And cigars. His old man taught him well.
I bought an eight pound keg of TAC a few days ago so I'll bring a pound with me.
That would be great! How much do you want for it?
It's pretty cheap.
OK, I have a 358 Win just waiting for some loading and I understand TCA is the way to go. I am not saying it is hard to ge but in all my searching I have never seen a can.
Last time I was at Brunos he had several 8 pounders on the floor.
No way I could afford an eight pounder.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/31/15
scott, bruno's is maybe ten minutes from my house, you want me to check and see if he has smaller cans?
Hey Ron,

Check for Unique while you are at it.

PLEASE!!!! smile
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/31/15
45 colt, about the only gun I would like to add, if I do it'll be both revolver and carbine.

Granddaughter looks like she will be left handed, at least writing, she throws with her right. Have to wait to see which eye is dominate before getting her a 22.

Kent
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/31/15
scott, bruno's is maybe ten minutes from my house, you want me to check and see if he has smaller cans?

Got it covered. Thanks Ron.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 01/31/15
Originally Posted by krp
45 colt, about the only gun I would like to add, if I do it'll be both revolver and carbine.

Granddaughter looks like she will be left handed, at least writing, she throws with her right. Have to wait to see which eye is dominate before getting her a 22.

Kent

It is still a big if bit if we get to come you will meet my baby of the six. He shoots lefty but writes with either hand. When he was learning to be an estimator the other estimators came to the boss and said he had to find Rob somewhere else to work. He did take-offs with both a pen and a high liner in each hand and went back and forth making notes with one hand while using the high liner and the pen in the other hand then he would switch. It gave then headaches to watch him. grin
I posted this elsewhere but thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I finally got a chance to shoot beyond 100 yards this winter. Jeff (Talus) and I went out and shot to 1000 yards; in the rain no less!

This steel plate was a 5 shot group at 1000 or 800- I forget which. First shot was the one in the middle- with a cold bore even! I should have stopped there.

No, I won't be shooting steel with it at Tonto- I'm just going to watch! [img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/01/15
Nice post, Dennis. That's quite a first dent for 800/1000 - what was the bullet design and MV? Or is that steel from a Ford?
Not looking good for me guys. Turkish customs hosed me last week (changed the rules, they're famous for this) and its looking like i'm not going to be able to fly out of here on the 4th.

Katie got back to the states successfully from Kuwait today, but she's PISSED that I'm not going to make it back this week.

Its too bad, cause I REALLLLLYYYYYY want to shoot some guns.
Local vender still has primers for a decent price. Right now he has win or cci small pistol at $124 for 5000.

If anyone needs any let me know...
Originally Posted by CCCC
Nice post, Dennis. That's quite a first dent for 800/1000 - what was the bullet design and MV? Or is that steel from a Ford?

Ouch!

130 grain Norma Diamond at 3200 fps. Impact velocity was about 2030 fps.
Dennis were you guys shooting out at that spot I told Jeff about on the backside if Estrellas?
No, that place is tough to get to and all torn up. I am shooting in Superior.
Good Job Man !

GTC
real interesting event here, but 1100 miles in the saddle each way, for me...

so in other words I'm thinking about it... smile

Alrighty, The boy is not going scout camping that weekend smile and I can bring him out with me on Saturday for the day. It is also his B-day weekend so have to have him back Saturday night. He is looking forward to going shooting (I gave him the option of camping or shooting)and he asked me if we were bringing the pistols grin

Hope to be up there Saturday morning and spending the day with you guys. Is there anything we can bring for you guys? Clay pigeons, a slinger, shot shells??? Will be bringing a small variety of rifles and handguns to play with laugh

Bring a box of clays maybe.
I will bring a couple over/unders, shells and clays so we can have some "sporting "clays.
Bring a box of clays maybe.

I have two cases and I will bring a variety of scatterguns with me. And plenty of shells. grin Any other kids going to be there? I have a 20 gauge youth if needed.
Posted By: Owl Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/04/15
OK, although I have been speaking to Dennis on this, I'm officially in again this year. I'll be there Friday & Saturday. I'll need to leave Saturday evening as I have to work on Sunday.

Dennis, I'm thinking that I'll be up there on Wednesday to get set up. After that, it's time to get out and scout for some pesky javelina....

I will be coming from Yuma, can someone give me some easy to follow directions? I will go up 87 then down 188, but not sure where to go after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will also bring some things to help out (food, clays, beverages, etc.) Just let me know what is needed.

Bart
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/04/15
If you are not driving during Phoenix rush hour, best way is I8 to Gila Bend, then 85 straight up north to I10, then east through Phoenix to the 202 right after the tunnel. 202 continues east while the 10 turns SE, take the 202 to Country Club in Mesa, turn left on country club and you are now on 87, then to 188 and down.

Kent
anyone interested in...

I have a pound of IMR SR 4759

Anyone want this ?

Trying to figure out what to bring.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/05/15
Well, after being the primary instigator of this edition of the winter Rondy, I have to bow out. A family obligation over in Texas that was supposed to take place in in early March has been rescheduled for the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of February. Unfortunately, it is not something that I can skip.

I will really miss getting together with all of you and, unfortunately, I don't see much opportunity to get the promised green chile burritos over there for the Saturday breakfast. I know that you guys are fast on your feet and will cope handily. I apologize for the last minute change of plans.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/05/15
Sorry you cannot make it. You will be missed.
Originally Posted by bart71175
I will be coming from Yuma, can someone give me some easy to follow directions? I will go up 87 then down 188, but not sure where to go after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will also bring some things to help out (food, clays, beverages, etc.) Just let me know what is needed.

Bart

Bart- you take the right hand turn directly across the street from the southern turnoff to Punkin center. The Punkin center turnoff is on the east side, the road you need is on the west side.
Bunch of crazy stuff has happened in the past 72 hours. As I'm typing this I'm laying in a hotel room in Baltimore.

Made it out of there for good and should be enroute to ABQ next week sometime.

JUST might be able to make this one. Include me in the PM for it
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/05/15
Glad you made it back, I'm sure Katie is even gladder.

See ya there or be square...

Kent
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Bunch of crazy stuff has happened in the past 72 hours. As I'm typing this I'm laying in a hotel room in Baltimore.

Made it out of there for good and should be enroute to ABQ next week sometime.

JUST might be able to make this one. Include me in the PM for it

You live the most fickle life. Nothing is ever status quo. I would have ulcers!

Hope you make it!
Posted By: Owl Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/05/15
Ben, say it's not so ! You'll be missed this year.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/06/15
vds
Alas I cannot squeeze it in - ya'll have fun!
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/06/15
Damnit!

Kent
Droppin' like fleas with a new dog collar...
Dang it I really want to be there. Got new rifle, new tent, dang it!!!

Yall have a grand time!!!
Posted By: KC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/06/15

vds

Paul:

Huh?

I looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDS

Still nothing. confused

KC

Loooking Goooood!

forcast
It's calling for rain laugh
Another heads up...

Local vendor has Lil Gun in stock if anyone is interested and needs some.

From their Armslist ad...

Hodgdon Lil'Gun powder available in sizes reanging from 1 to 8 pound cans.
single cans $25, 4 pound cans $96.60 8 pound kegs $189
local sales only, no shipping provided
It's calling for rain laugh

They changed it quick!
My wife just informed me that she is going to bring a Sopaipilla Cheesecake to the rondy.

Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/08/15
Judy's way too good for you!

Kent
I know,she's letting me buy another .375 H&H. wink grin
Posted By: NMLady Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/08/15
I just read that Ben isn't going to make it......Ideas for breakfast??

I think Jeff and I will bring the breakfast trailer. If so, we will have a classic breakfast of bacon, eggs and pancakes.
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/09/15
Yep, just keep it simple. Probably have some tortillas for those that want to roll'm up.

Kent
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/09/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My wife just informed me that she is going to bring a Sopaipilla Cheesecake to the rondy.

Be good to her or you life could be....
I'm always good to her. smile
We will see what she says about that in a couple of weeks. grin
I am thinking she might need another diamond or two more than you need a new rifle.
You aren't playing fair. grin
laugh
See you in a coupla weeks. wink cool
Originally Posted by Scott F
I am thinking she might need another diamond or two more than you need a new rifle.

I am thinking my wife would prefer a weapon of some sorts over a diamond. laugh
But I know Judy. wink
See you in a coupla weeks. wink cool

I sure hope so. Flying right now would most likely blow out both my ear drums. My ears are plugged that bad. I am trying to get tubes in both ears next week.
Think positive Scott.

We'll be there late Saturday mornin'. Just in time for the serious BSin' to begin. grin
I'm planning on showing up on Friday afternoon. What would be the best foods, beverages, supplies etc to bring. I can help with the cooking if need be, whatever to help out. How many folks is it looking like.

Bart
Probably about 30 to 40. At the end of the week we'll ask for more commitment and make a list of stuff folks can bring.

Kent
I'll bring my appetite.
It's been a couple years since someone has irked me enough to spit in their food... Don't be that guy... again...

Kent
If anyone might be coming to this shindig through Raton, NM and willing to pick up a tent for me (huge favor), please send me a PM.

Thanks
Posted By: Enrique Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/11/15
Too many pages for me to read thru. Glad i seen this.
Depending on the mood, i may take the runts and wife for a drive up to day hi. Getting away for a day is needed so we just might make it up. Be saturday If we do. See if i take some fishing poles up.
Dennis isnt going to break his truck again is he?
Originally Posted by krp
It's been a couple years since someone has irked me enough to spit in their food... Don't be that guy... again...

Kent
That's cause I wasn't at the rondy last year and you weren't at Quemado last summer. grin
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/11/15
That... and Darby's been minding his manners...

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/11/15
Originally Posted by Enrique
Too many pages for me to read thru. Glad i seen this.
Depending on the mood, i may take the runts and wife for a drive up to day hi. Getting away for a day is needed so we just might make it up. Be saturday If we do. See if i take some fishing poles up.
Dennis isnt going to break his truck again is he?

Get up there! it's not at the same place as last year if you hadn't read that far.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
That... and Darby's been minding his manners...

Kent
True. grin
Might still break!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/12/15
Well, true to form, our calendars (my wife's and mine) have been trashed, and I wonder why I bother to write anything on them at all. New developments among family in Alaska, Texas and New Mexico look like the end result will be that I am going to be alone that weekend and not in Texas, after all. I would rather be alone in the Tonto Basin with you good folks, so I am thinking that (barring further disruptions) I will be there after all.

What shooting contests are you cooking up?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/12/15
I find out tomorrow if I can fly or not. 11:00 appointment wit new VA doctor.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Well, true to form, our calendars (my wife's and mine) have been trashed, and I wonder why I bother to write anything on them at all. New developments among family in Alaska, Texas and New Mexico look like the end result will be that I am going to be alone that weekend and not in Texas, after all. I would rather be alone in the Tonto Basin with you good folks, so I am thinking that (barring further disruptions) I will be there after all.

What shooting contests are you cooking up?

OK, I just exhaled.

We will have two for sure, both PD shoots as they are easier to put on. A rimfire and an open.

Might try to do some kind of an informal steel shoot too.
I am grounded! cry

No flying until ENT says OK and no appointment yet with ENT. Dr said with my blockage I could do more than just loose ear drums, I could rupture a sinus.

My son and I were looking forward to being there but we are out. frown
Dang Scott, youse guys will be missed.
Dang Scott. cry
I feel the same way about the rest of you guys. I was really looking forward to this trip but I will set my sights on Quemado.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
you could send chocolate.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
Bummer Scott, I was really looking forward to meeting you and shaking your hand. You are on top of my list of people from the fire to meet in person. You will be missed.
We will try and have fun without you. grin
The boy and I will be up there Saturday morning with lots of things to shoot. Should be a fun day for us.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15

NO! It is not that I don't trust you it is more like...

I guess it is that I don't trust you. grin
Bummer Scott, I was really looking forward to meeting you and shaking your hand. You are on top of my list of people from the fire to meet in person. You will be missed.
We will try and have fun without you. grin
The boy and I will be up there Saturday morning with lots of things to shoot. Should be a fun day for us.

I feel the same way. There are several new faces I was looking forward to meeting.
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
Hope you get well soon Scott!

Kent
Thanks. Several referrals awaiting appointments. Time will tell if than fix the old guy.
Keep us updated Scott.
A week away, let's see how many are coming for both friday and saturday dinner and who's coming for just saturday. So we can plan food.

Looks like friday night will belong to Dennis... and saturday to me. Dennis has suggested to me what he may make and I'll let him say and ask for appropriate side dishes.

I'm making fish, potato salad and pull pork for saturday.

Once we have a number (approximate) for each dinner, we will know how much food to buy.

Thanks,

Kent
Judy and I will be there Saturday for supper.
Ha! two for me... I'm ahead of Dennis already...

Kent
laugh
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
I will be there Friday.

Ben
I still don't know if I can get there friday or saturday morning.

Kent
I likely won't know until mid-week. If it's mandatory OT like it has been I won't be able to make it.
Plannning on leaving Wednesday and being there either Wednesday or Thursday.

Gonna make the jaunt worthwhile.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
P
Gonna make the jaunt worthwhile.

As far as I can tell, you usually do. laugh
My boy and I will be there Saturday morning and staying the day. Might be bringing another friend of mine, not sure yet if he can make it. Will be leaving Saturday evening as we have plans for Sunday all day with it being my boys b-day.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I likely won't know until mid-week. If it's mandatory OT like it has been I won't be able to make it.

Hey Thomas, if you end up going, do you need a youth shotgun for your kids to shoot? I have one available if needed.
Joe, after the shoot we have dinner fairly quick, before dark.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Joe, after the shoot we have dinner fairly quick, before dark.

Kent

Never said we weren't eating,,,,,,,,, laugh You asked for a head count so, 2 with a possible 3 grin
OK, I am making soda pop chicken and teriyaki chicken with cowboy beans. I was hoping for some potato salad too but maybe someone can suggest a wine that goes with this- slaw or salad or ??? Bacon? wink
I'll be coming in Friday afternoon 4 - 5 pm. What can I bring to help out. I'll bring potato salad, main dish, whatever, just let me know what will help. I can bring stuff for breakfast also.

Bart
Hope to get out Thursday, but Doug and I will be there both nights.
As expected, I will not be there. I have back surgery scheduled for Tuesday. miles
Posted By: Seafire Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/13/15
hope all goes well on that surgery Miles... and we all wish you a speedy recovery!
WOOHOO,,,,,,,,,, got the go a head to camp overnight with the boy. Just have to be back in time for the festivities, shouldn't be a problem. laugh If there is anything that you guys can think of that I can bring to help just let me know.

Miles, hope all goes well with the surgery and recovery is quick.
Originally Posted by milespatton
As expected, I will not be there. I have back surgery scheduled for Tuesday. miles
Dang,well,there's Quemado in August.

We'll keep you in our thoughts & prayers Miles.
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/14/15
Miles, just get well by Quemado amigo.

Kent
Things we could use are...
Side dishes
eggs
couple dozen tortillas
potatoes
butter
milk
hot dogs
buns
paper plates
water in jugs
deserts
Anything you think folks will enjoy

Everyone should bring their own drinks and snacks.

Kent
Thanks for all the kind wishes. I hate to miss but it is something that must be done. miles
Originally Posted by krp
Things we could use are...
Side dishes
eggs
couple dozen tortillas
potatoes
butter
milk
hot dogs
buns
paper plates
water in jugs
deserts
Anything you think folks will enjoy

Everyone should bring their own drinks and snacks.

Kent

I will probably be there Friday PM and will bring some eggs and bottles of water.
About how many dozens of eggs should I bring?
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/14/15
Kent, I will bring some eggs, hot dogs, and tortillas.
5 dozen eggs will do it.

Please let us know how many if it's a party coming together.

Right now I'm at 22 that will be there and another 10+ that may make it... and more that won't be able to but wish they could.

Kent
I'll bring desert, shrimp salad, and some snack things
Am I still on for bacon or did Darby get the bacon-boy role? cool grin

Let me know what I can bring to help out.
still you
Posted By: NMLady Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/15/15
Making desert, and let Ken or I know if we need to bring anything else. We will be there Saturdaylate morning. (NO kids in tow either😱)
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/15/15
This is shaping up to be one fine event. The spirit is most eager but the circumstances are prohibitive - so will miss this one. Have a great time - know you will, and am a bit envious.
Dang. frown
Some of the things we will need are paper plates, plastic wear, coffee, styro cups, salsa, (what else am I forgetting, Kent?)
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/16/15
Paper plates/utinsels for sure. Could still use...

hot dog buns
buns for bbq pull pork
potatos
green chilis
coffee creamer
cole slaw
sour cream
water
side dishes?

I'm bringing...

fish
pulled pork
potato salad
salsa
condiments
seasonings
coffee
paper towels
some water
cleaning stuff

others are bringing...

oil
eggs
hot dogs
tortillas
deserts

BACON...

GREEN CHILI BURROS...

Everyone, please bring your own coffee cups, beverages and snacks.

Kent
I'll bring paper plates and plastic forks and knives also.

Bart
Posted By: NMLady Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/16/15
Will bring:
green chili (do you want it whole or chopped)
Cheesecake sopapilla desert (notice it has changed from fruit enchiladas)
I'll see what SAMS has for side dishes and bring something.

Judy
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/16/15
You guys have a great time.
Finally found one:

[Linked Image]
Scored one of these last week.

If I have any room left in my overloaded car I may bring some and a carbine dispenser.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/17/15
Originally Posted by bart71175
I'll bring paper plates and plastic forks and knives also.

Bart

Thanks Bart!

Originally Posted by NMLady
Will bring:
green chili (do you want it whole or chopped)
Cheesecake sopapilla desert (notice it has changed from fruit enchiladas)
I'll see what SAMS has for side dishes and bring something.

Judy

Whole chilis will be fine, 'Bacon boy' will put some in the eggs and I may roast them first.

Thanks Judy!

Kent
Ok Kent,Judy told me to tell you that the chiles are already roasted,she'll peel and de-seed them,so,they'll be RTG when we get there. smile
I will bring one qt jar of chilis I put up in September too. I have the beans about ready, and Jeff and I will hit Costco this morning and pick up the chicken.

Things I will provide

cooked chicken (both soda pop and teriyaki)
cowboy beans
bowls
plastic wear
napkins
pancakes &syrup
cooking oil and seasonings
scrambled eggs
10 loaves of bread
bear sausage

griddle trailer
grill for chicken
large dutch over for biscuits
two camp chef stoves and some water

For breakfast on Saturday, I still need butter and paper plates and jam, orange juice and milk.

I will have target stands, targets and some steel as well.
It is a little over 1200 miles from here to there so I will be headed that direction Wednesday morning and plan on arriving Friday PM. I will bring 5 dozen fresh eggs from the Hutterite colony here. Non better. I will also round up some water.

Anything else I can bring?

O, guess I will be traveling solo.

See ya'll then.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/17/15
kent, or dennis, whoever has seen the camp area. Does it have public restroom facilities, or is it cathole time in the desert?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/17/15
Bring your own log, Ron.
This is dispersed camping- no facilities. Sorry.

OK, a few have asked about the shoots. I will have two that I will put on. They will be similar to Paul's prairie dog shoots but with a twist that you will see when you get there. Nothing to fret over.

Tentatively, this is my plan:

Each participant will have a target, I will paste as many on the backers as will fit. You will put your name and whatever mark helps you to recognize your target- we had a ton of crossfires on the last rimfire shoot.

The rimfire shoot will be at 50-70 yards (depends on what I have for clear lanes) It will be 5-shots at a dot, smallest group wins. One bullet must cut the dot. Any rimfire sporting arm allowed. Any sights. No benchrest- any field or portable rest you can come up with that would be possibly used in the field. Front rest & bags allowed on ground or bipods etc. NO BENCHREST.

The open shoot will be ANY sporting firearm you want, any caliber, any sight and any position you want. One shot at a dot on the target with your name. Distance will be 150-200 yards depending on what I can set up. Closest to the center of the dot wins. If it is a tie, we will have a shoot-off.

Here are the changes from years past.
There will be NO coaching allowed. You will have 5 minutes (from when your name is announced) to COMPLETE your course of fire.
I will draw your names from hat (or equivalent random generator) to decide the order of shooters. We will then proceed in the order drawn. If you want to trade with someone for placement you can.

IF we do a competitive steel shoot, the firing ordered will have to be adhered to as there is a definite advantage to going last. IF we do a steel shoot, I will direct the shoot but will NOT participate. There will be no coaching during a steel shoot either.

You need to be sighted in before the time of the shoot so that they go quickly and smoothly. There is no reason both shoots can't be done in 1/2 hour tops. We will have plenty of time to practice and sight before hand but it would behoove you to bring a sighted in rifle with you rather than sort it out at the campout.

The steel shoot will depend on whether I can find suitable places for steel and will be similar to years past- colored plates with different values, no magnums and a time limit. I will have the the LaRue sniper target setup for practicing for sure.

Let's have fun first and foremost!
Fellas,a family issue has risen beyond our control and we won't be able make it to the rondy.

See you all at Quemado!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/18/15
Bring your own log, Ron.

paul, if i did that, people would have to vacate at least 1/4mile.
Fellas,a family issue has risen beyond our control and we won't be able make it to the rondy.

See you all at Quemado!

Say it isn't so??
Just got off the phone with Ross (AZshooter) he just put his boat in the water at Rosey. Was 28° this morning at Punkin Center. Should warm up nice today and get warmer this weekend. Weather report says it's 49° which is way off- need to use Payson for the correct temp it looks- day time highs will be greater at Tonto basin though.
Just about set!
Should be there around noon, has anything been set there yet?

Is there a main camp/fire ring area?

I have a pop-up I will set up back away from the main area, I don't want to have to move.
Alrighty, Going to be up there late Friday night with the motor home. Will be bringing a pop-up canopy for shade, a couple of tables 6' and 4', a couple of 6 gallon water jugs for anyone that needs it. The camper is mostly stocked with the usual household supplies, paper plates, cooking utensils and what not. Any last minute things anyone needs let me know, I can pick them up on our way in.

The shoot sounds like fun. Hope my low budget led slingers can keep up with all of your fancy high dollar shootin irons. laugh

Am also bringing and assortment of targets.
Also bringing a few bundles of wood, we can have a campfire right, no restrictions yet?

See you all at Quemado!

Say it isn't so??
Yes,it is so. frown
Alrighty, Going to be up there late Friday night with the motor home. Will be bringing a pop-up canopy for shade, a couple of tables 6' and 4', a couple of 6 gallon water jugs for anyone that needs it. The camper is mostly stocked with the usual household supplies, paper plates, cooking utensils and what not. Any last minute things anyone needs let me know, I can pick them up on our way in.

The shoot sounds like fun. Hope my low budget led slingers can keep up with all of your fancy high dollar shootin irons. laugh

Am also bringing and assortment of targets.
Also bringing a few bundles of wood, we can have a campfire right, no restrictions yet?

I hope it isn't a very big motorhome! This isn't a good spot for RVs. You may have to use one of the pull-outs before the spot. It is hard to find a decent spot to camp where we can still shoot. I couldn't find a camper spot that wasn't down in the cactus and had any shooting. I am going tomorrow and try and clear some trails. Kent is bringing his trailer and I think KC is bringing his- both are not big trailers. I don't want anyone tearing their aluminum skin off on a mesquite tree! I'll see what I can do.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/19/15

Gonna try to be there by noon. Will bring the usual truckload of odds and ends, but nothing important. Wife is busy taking care of sick friends and her fading Mom, so no green chile burritos this year. Will try to pick up some munchies, etc., on the way.
Heading out early in the morn tommorrow.

Have bacon on board grin

Dang car seems to get smaller every year...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/19/15
Drive safe.
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/19/15
If you'd put a 'bacon on board' sign in the rear window... you'd get a police escort all the way down...

Kent
I'll have a cigar and think about the fun you all are having Saturday.
hope all goes well on that surgery Miles... and we all wish you a speedy recovery!

I got released from the hospital a couple of hours ago and instead of going home (possible ice on roads), I am in a motel room watching the Razorback/Mizzou basketball game. I will go on home around midday tomorrow. Right now the operation is looking good. The pain in my hip that kept me form sleeping is not there anymore and it seems that I am walking a lot better. Pain still in lower back from the operation so it will be a few days until I know the whole story on success. Halftime now and if I don't get sleepy I might stay on line a while. miles
Great news!
Dittos...

Great news Miles.
No dice for me guys.
Work isn't the issue here this go 'round. We put an offer on a new house the other day. After a bit of back and forth we are in escrow as of today. We have an inspection and other stuff to take care of this weekend.

I hope you guys have a great time, and good shooting!
Sorry to hear, Tom.

Mile- take care. We'll see you at Ed's ?
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/20/15
Headed up...

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/21/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/21/15
Damn! That looks like a great time.
Quit the gallery!!!! The usual suspects! laugh Thanks for pics!
Good times! It's good to see Ken there! I wish I was there. frown

Ed
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looked like a great time.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
Damn! That looks like a great time.

can you believe one of your buddies from up north left a certain 1911 style thing in my truck for a large part of the day. Wasn't chocolate t ho, or i might have forgot and drove home with it.

And best of all Kent cooked up a mess of that roosevelt bass fillets. It's worth the drive u p there just for that.

With all the hardware present, I think the star of the show was a old mosin nagant.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
I am sitting here in Oregon crying in my coffee. Ears still to plugged up to fly.
Good times! It's good to see Ken there! I wish I was there.

Double ditto's on seeing Ken out. I sure hated to miss this shindig, but I think it is going to be worthwhile. Seeing several people that I don't think I have met, and that is a bummer. I do have my sights set on Ed's place and hope to see several of you there. miles
Posted By: NMLady Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
Looks like it is/was a great time. Sorry to have missed it, but was needed elsewhere.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
Originally Posted by milespatton
Good times! It's good to see Ken there! I wish I was there.

Double ditto's on seeing Ken out. I sure hated to miss this shindig, but I think it is going to be worthwhile. Seeing several people that I don't think I have met, and that is a bummer. I do have my sights set on Ed's place and hope to see several of you there. miles

miles, a certain fellow who we both know had this poem with lessons on life that he intended to give you. Since you weren't there, he gave it to me.
I probably should scan and post it here with attribution. But i will restrain my baser instincts and not do that.
Posted By: azcoues Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/22/15
guess by now you kinda figured I was a no show - relatives in town

looks like fun
say hello to all those whom might ask where is gary

safe road trip home everybody
Again, another great "fire time.

Sitting here in Payson, AZ checking the weather in Colorado.

Think I am headed to Quemado and wait the snow storm out.

Oh,

and my shoulder is suffering from Mosinitus.

The ol' Russian veteran guided by Paladin hit the 350 yard steel with open sights.

Good food, good shootin, and great meeting new folks and seeing 'fire friends again.
Brian- safe travels driving home. Watch out for that Storm. I was so windy on my drive home that it blew 2 of my boxes apart and I rained paper goods on a couple of folks!

I think you guys wore Ruby out- she was exhausted from trying to avoid being dognapped by Darby wink

[Linked Image]
Got in the driving mode yesterday and drove straight home.

Once I hit the "snow" zone there were only a hand full of cars out so it wasn't too bad. Sure would have been a lot worse today in traffic.

Oh yeah, it was 8 degrees out this morning...brrr...

Thank you to everyone for a great time.
Posted By: Paladin Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/23/15
Brian,

Ivan and I have been waiting for you to show up so we could eat since you said you were coming to Quemado. We haven't eaten since yesterday figuring you would show at any minute with the bacon.

Just kidding of course. Don't know how you managed to invoke the snow but we made it here without a trace. Sunny and partly cloudy now. You should have stopped by.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/23/15
Glad to see you made it home safe.
You are a road warrior, Brian.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/24/15
Got home just after midnight this evening...spent the night last night in Nevada somewhere..... it was about 9 degrees according to the weather report on the radio this morning...heavy wind blowing also...

cleared up this morning around 10 or so... pleasant but long drive home from that point...1300 miles in a day and a half can wear ya out...

Thanks for the boys who put it on and set it up...was the last to leave, and someone forgot a Trash Can full of Charcoal...

twas good seeing a batch of good friends once again...
Posted By: krp Re: Arizona camp and shoot... - 02/24/15
Glad you made it back. Dennis will have to go back for the charcoal. Overall the lost and found list was short this year.

Kent
Brian- safe travels driving home. Watch out for that Storm. I was so windy on my drive home that it blew 2 of my boxes apart and I rained paper goods on a couple of folks!

I think you guys wore Ruby out- she was exhausted from trying to avoid being dognapped by Darby wink

[Linked Image]

She must be REALLY worn out! Hard to believe! HA! Quite the doggie.
Yes, she is!
© 24hourcampfire