Home
I have a friend that has been offered a job with SpaceX. Its a good opportunity for him, but the position will require relocation to Brownsville, TX. I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable. Any campfire members that live in Brownsville or familiar with the area that can offer a more objective assessment that I could pass along?

His wife is an RN. He would be going there in an IT position for SpaceX. Neither is bilingual.
I wouldn't worry about not being bilingual, Brownsville is only 94% Hispanic
Brownsville has only gotten worse in the past 20 years.

No. I would not take my family there.
FIL lives there in a geezer community.
Wife says it sucks...
He'd be leaving PA for TX. Even Brownsville is a step up.
Originally Posted by 4ager

True.

And leave the gun control attitude behind. Jump in with both feet and buy an AR-15, get a CCW, and enjoy!

One could likely get housekeeping and yard work done inexpensively...
Originally Posted by Stush
I have a friend that has been offered a job with SpaceX. Its a good opportunity for him, but the position will require relocation to Brownsville, TX. I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable. Any campfire members that live in Brownsville or familiar with the area that can offer a more objective assessment that I could pass along?

His wife is an RN. He would be going there in an IT position for SpaceX. Neither is bilingual.

Fugg and no.

Travis
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True.

And leave the gun control attitude behind. Jump in with both feet and buy an AR-15, get a CCW, and enjoy!

Factor in the pay increase, the decrease in taxes, the lower cost of living, and it NOT being PA, and there's even more to consider.

It never fails to amaze me how people will turn down good jobs with better pay in better places to live with lower costs of living and lower taxes (and better freedoms) because it's not "perfect", yet they'll remain in some schithole state with crap pay, less options, more gov't intrusion, higher taxes, and greater expense, all the while bitching about the same.

It's a good job, with options, and it's better than where he is now. Not taking it would be stupid.
Originally Posted by deflave

Fugg and no.

Travis

The alternative is to stay in PA. Consider that.
I wouldn't move my family to Brownsville, TX for $5 million dollars.

It's not next to Mexico, it is Mexico.

Travis

The alternative is to stay in PA. Consider that.

I considered it.

I'd stay in PA.

Travis
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True.

Factor in the pay increase, the decrease in taxes, the lower cost of living, and it NOT being PA, and there's even more to consider.

It never fails to amaze me how people will turn down good jobs with better pay in better places to live with lower costs of living and lower taxes (and better freedoms) because it's not "perfect", yet they'll remain in some schithole state with crap pay, less options, more gov't intrusion, higher taxes, and greater expense, all the while bitching about the same.

It's a good job, with options, and it's better than where he is now. Not taking it would be stupid.

This.
Here's a lot of demographic info on it: BROWNSVILLE

city-data.com is a very useful site for anyone considering a relocation. It pretty well covers it all.
Hard to figure how a blue for red swap don't put you among better people.
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Wow. Brownsville and the valley are red now?

I had no idea. I hope he enjoys living amongst those "better people."

Too fuggin 'funny.

Travis
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....

Keep telling yourself that.

Tax rate? State economic situation? Employment options and economic growth? Support of 2A? Real estate market? Compare those to TX. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

That part of Texas is as blue as the fugging sky.

If you were single I'd say go for it, if you are married and planning on having a family? No fugging way.

If you have any doubts, hop a flight, rent a car, and cruise Browsville, AKA Brown-town, AKA Brownhole, AKA The Schithole of Texas.

Travis
Most of Pa. is red and has some really good hunting and fishing in many areas. No way for me. Not even close. Everything east of the Mississippi would have to be like present day Massachusetts for me to consider a move to anywhere in Texas.
We are in Texas for the winter and so far so good. 81 degrees yesterday, no severe cold, no snow, no ice, no wind chill, no shoveling,no treacherous driving, no heavy coat or sorel boots, good fishing in a boat and not a shanty. Good politics. What did you guys say the disadvantages are?
OK, I feel dissed now. LOL
Brownsville isn't bad. The Rio Grande Valley isn 't bad. I live and work here (25 years). I did send my kids to private school though. Weather is great 300+ days a year, hunting & fishing is great. Stay out of the bad places. Now, a LOT of fair skinned, city women don't do well here for some reason. I lived in the DE/PA/Maryland region for 15 months and I'll take South TX anytime!
Just like Mexico, B'ville is fine. It's all the
mexicans that ruin it.
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
We are in Texas for the winter and so far so good. 81 degrees yesterday, no severe cold, no snow, no ice, no wind chill, no shoveling,no treacherous driving, no heavy coat or sorel boots, good fishing in a boat and not a shanty. Good politics. What did you guys say the disadvantages are?

What part of Texas are you in?

Travis
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Brownsville isn't bad. The Rio Grande Valley isn 't bad. I live and work here (25 years). I did send my kids to private school though. Weather is great 300+ days a year, hunting & fishing is great. Stay out of the bad places. Now, a LOT of fair skinned, city women don't do well here for some reason. I lived in the DE/PA/Maryland region for 15 months and I'll take South TX anytime!

Home is home and we all love home for a reason. By the way you lived on the wrong end of Pa. The western side of the state rocks.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Home is home and we all love home for a reason. By the way you lived on the wrong end of Pa. The western side of the state rocks.

LOL, well the RGV is home now, but I moved here when I was in my early 20s. I grew up in North TX with few minorities.

Fugg and no.

Travis

Yup.
Originally Posted by EdM

Yup.

Damn...

I don't think we have anybody as well traveled as Ed and even he said no...

Laughin'.

Travis
A good friend of mine lived in Weslaco for a long time. He had a nice house, good job, sent his kids to private school, etc. A Colonia sprang up a few blocks from his house. Pretty soon his kids contracted some disease that was much like the Bubonic Plague. There is little doubt that it came from the open sewer of the Colonia. He lived in a good neighborhood in an "estate" type situation with a few acres too. Within six months of his kids getting sick, he had gotten a different job, sold his holdings and moved his game back to Kansas. So much for the great weather of the Rio Grande Valley.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
A good friend of mine lived in Weslaco for a long time. He had a nice house, good job, sent his kids to private school, etc. A Colonia sprang up a few blocks from his house. Pretty soon his kids contracted some disease that was much like the Bubonic Plague. There is little doubt that it came from the open sewer of the Colonia. He lived in a good neighborhood in an "estate" type situation with a few acres too. Within six months of his kids getting sick, he had gotten a different job, sold his holdings and moved his game back to Kansas. So much for the great weather of the Rio Grande Valley.

What was he doing in a colonia? Stay out of the bad places. Never had a disease in 25 years. Never got one on the other side of the river either, when I was single. whistle
If he can stand living in Pennsylvania, he doesn't need to move to Brownsville. It is not a place for the civilized types. The Tex-Mex border is not much different than it was 150 years ago, other than technology, and the fact that our Government is on their side.
There are good things about everywhere, but Brownsville is more like Mexico than the US. That is the truth. If you are okay with that, then so be it. It will take some adjustment.
I should add, that if your buddy has some extraordinary circumstances such as zero education, zero likelihood of more opportunity, currently in a dead end job, etc., then that might change my answer.

Might.

But from the sounds of it, he's going to have more than one opportunity knocking in his life. And Brownsville would be the last fugging door I chose to open if that were the case.

And obviously, his wife can work anywhere in the country. So I'm not really seeing the need to move to BrownTown.

You didn't mention if they had kids but if they do, they need to factor in what private schooling will cost them. Not many white folk from PA are going to send their kids to a public school in that part of the world.

Clark
All border towns are rough. But you would not believe the Yankees that winter there ( RGV ). That being said best fishing on the Gulf Coast. Padre island offers both fishing and duck hunting. South Texas has some of the best white tail hunting in the country, but it's expensive. Hasbeen
While Brownsville would not be my first choice of places to live, most affluent business people live a few miles away on Padre Island. (Under 30 miles)That is a great place to live with gun friendly neighbors. Great fishing and wonderful people down there. No State income Tax either.

Tax rate? State economic situation? Employment options and economic growth? Support of 2A? Real estate market? Compare those to TX. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

You are way off base on the 2nd Amendment part. Southwest Pa. is about as pro gun as anywhere in the country. They have a lot more gun clubs than we have here in N.C.

You are way off base on the 2nd Amendment part. Southwest Pa. is about as pro gun as anywhere in the country. They have a lot more gun clubs than we have here in N.C.

Oh? Compare the STATE laws on the 2A, and get back to me. Cherry-picking one part of the state without looking at the whole when the whole is governed by the same laws doesn't fly. Hell, if you did that, then parts of NY might be worth a f'k on the 2A, but they ain't because of the state laws that apply everywhere in the state.
Show him this and let him decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matamoros%E2%80%93Brownsville_Metropolitan_Area

Oh? Compare the STATE laws on the 2A, and get back to me. Cherry-picking one part of the state without looking at the whole when the whole is governed by the same laws doesn't fly. Hell, if you did that, then parts of NY might be worth a f'k on the 2A, but they ain't because of the state laws that apply everywhere in the state.

You could be right about the state as a whole. I need to remember that southwest Pa. Is kind of a state within a state. Much like you suggest New York is. It is just hard for me to believe that Pa. Is anti gun with all the hunters and NRA members that they have. If they are anti gun then N.C. is in big trouble.
I'd live in kingsville or corpus and just drive back and forth if the money was good.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Black cats?

Travis

PS- The driving demonstrated in that video is not a fair representation of the area. It's usually a lot worse.
Man, those boys were expending some ordnance!
I grew up in Texas. Families been here since 1866. Lived south of I10 twice. Both times in the Navy. Never again. As Travis said: Fugg No.
You ought to see what goes on in Juarez... eek
Oh so he is going to be the only one that gets one of these Space X jobs?
Going to be several hundred more WASP moving to that beach launch pad.
Good or bad that is where Space X is going.
I think Roger living real close has the best idea. Hasbeen
Personally, I would also consider Falfurrias. I mean if I had to choose a place to live down there.

Only he can answer the question if it's right for him and his family. If the pay is very good and the work very interesting, I can put up with a whole lot. But the question is, can my family put up with it?
163k spics vs 9000 whites, yea, no thanks.
Somewhere around Victoria, I always feel like I am entering a foreign country.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Black cats?

Travis

PS- The driving demonstrated in that video is not a fair representation of the area. It's usually a lot worse.

when that video runs it's course of a minute, there's a documentary available about Los Zetos

I see them as being problematic

we need to be fighting a war along our border and into Northern Mexico imo

it's needed far worse there than the ME

All of PA is open carry, Texas is not.

PA is a shall-issue state for concealed-carry licenses.
Now, a LOT of fair skinned, city women don't do well here for some reason.

Is "some reason" the people getting beheaded right across the creek or the thought of getting kidnapped for ransom or her kids going to school with the parents of the kidnappers and beheaders?

No way, no how would I move to Brownsville. Even if I were brown I wouldn't move there.
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

OC in Philly and get back to me on that one. Ditto CCW there.
I've lived in both Pa and South Texas and the miserable summer weather alone in South Texas would keep me going back there.

Google the Mark Fiorino case and get back to me. He won in both criminal and civil courts. Try openly carrying in Dallas or Houston and get back to me on that one. Philly is also shall-issue for CCW.

License to Carry Firearms issued on a "shall-issue" basis. *A LTCF normally doesn't affect rifles and shotguns, however a LTCF is required to carry a rifle or shotgun within a City of the First Class (Philadelphia is the only one) and during a declared state of emergency. Unlicensed open-carry everywhere except Philadelphia or in/on a vehicle.

There are more households in Brownsville making less than $10K/year than there are making over $75K/year.

A city of 200K people, a large number of which are dirt floor poor. What's not to love?

http://www.city-data.com/income/income-Brownsville-Texas.html
Seriously, what kind of labor force did Musk think he was going to get in, or to relocate to Brownsville?

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Seriously, what kind of labor force did Musk think he was going to get in, or to relocate to Brownsville?

Exactly what I was wondering as well. I get the reason for the geographical location, but I suspect that they are having trouble getting people to jump at the opportunity.
whats the pay?
Originally Posted by Calvin
whats the pay?

Calvin, I honestly don't know. I didn't ask him and he didn't offer that information.
I'd commute if the pay warranted it.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd commute if the pay warranted it.

Not sure if you've spent any time in the Rio Grande Valley, but I'd take a long look at what people consider "better" before I decided commuting was a good idea... grin

Travis
When I first saw this thread, I thought hell no I wouldn't. And I haven't been there for 35 years. Can't imagine what it's like now.
My kids are on their own now, and I'm not sure I'd go there by myself for a few days, let alone take my wife with me.
You could commute from somewhere in Hidalgo County, where 47% of the kids live below the poverty line.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
You could commute from somewhere in Hidalgo County, where 47% of the kids live below the poverty line.

Fugg yes.

Then you'll be able to get to know all those "better people" curdog mentioned.

Travis
Move to Laguna Vista and commute.
I'd live on a boat if I was there.
Brownsville has some really great farmers markets too.

Not the case. The Rio Grande Valley is mostly Democrat.
Seems to me that if a fella has a goal to leave his state he should decide first where he wants to go, work diligently at finding a job then move. A lot of jobs in far better places in Texas.
Originally Posted by EdM

Yup.

Damn...

I don't think we have anybody as well traveled as Ed and even he said no...

Laughin'.

Travis

I would probably head back to my place in Kazakhstan before Brownsville. Cheap housing, low taxes, great fishing, what's not to like.? grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OTOH if you boys up north keep voting for the ( D's ) all the US will be like Brownsville. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
OTOH if you boys up north keep voting for the ( D's ) all the US will be like Brownsville. Hasbeen

I think Boston has been blue since around 1800.

Doesn't look like Brownsville.

Travis
Originally Posted by EdM

I would probably head back to my place in Kazakhstan

Do they allow open carry?

Travis
Climate: Oppressively hot and humid nine months out of the year, the sun so brilliantly intense in summer its hard to even go outside in.

Terrain: Flat, made worse by dust, heat and oppressively humid climate. The Rio Grande where you can see it is as big as an average size creek in Pa.

Forest: Basically scrub, with thorns, and dust.

Camping: Far and between in isolated State Parks, there is little public land in Texas. See the part about climate.

Hiking: None to speak of.

Fishing: The Gulf, a high point. Freshwater fishing a couple of hours away.

Hunting: Mostly behind tall fences, expect to pay lease fees, otherwise pretty good.

If the wife is an RN on a mission, she may find much to do there, there being such a need for medical services. Otherwise the biggest social centers are basically the Malls.

Nearest big city with a culture to speak of is San Antonio, four hours away.

Could be real hard on the kids.

I could live there but I'm different than most folks I guess.

But, 30 years ago I had a choice; San Antonio or the Valley.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher
Worst 30 days I ever spent in my life! You literally could not pay me enough to move my family there!

It truly must be experienced to know just how bad it is.

just my .02, take it for what its worth.

Todd

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Otherwise the biggest social centers are basically the Malls.

Don't forget Wal-Mart.

Travis
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Worst 30 days I ever spent in my life! You literally could not pay me enough to move my family there!

It truly must be experienced to know just how bad it is.

just my .02, take it for what its worth.

Todd

Puzzy...

grin

Travis

Cartels may not be better people than in Pa, Gene. wink
Originally Posted by EdM
Seems to me that if a fella has a goal to leave his state he should decide first where he wants to go, work diligently at finding a job then move. A lot of jobs in far better places in Texas.

I guess some people put career ahead of quality of life, but I've been fortunate to figure out your point early in life and hit the lottery with an interesting great career that fell into place after finding a great place to live and raise a family.

I'd always said if right job came up that I could work it and retire after 2 or 3 years I'd take it no matter where it was, but fortunately I was never tempted with such a gig.

Well, theres Americans for one thing, Mexicans for another.

What general area in Texas, iima?
I had a buddy with an extreme deathwish. He'd served in The Bulge, and he'd go and winter in Mexico, looking for. . . I dunno. I guess it was an honorable end.

Anyhow. The one place he scared of was Brownsville, TX.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Otherwise the biggest social centers are basically the Malls.

Don't forget Wal-Mart.

Travis

From one of then south Texas Walmarts!! Enjoys!

[Linked Image]
I'm sure the winter climate is grand compared to PA. But a summer on the gulf coast is something that has to be experienced to understand.

And hunting leases, 5 deer? Deer with real horns. (Yeah, i know, antlers, big freakin ones).

Beach house prices have fallen with all the cartel members moving in.

Travis finally got something right about the great Republic of Texas......Don't live anywhere near the TX/MX border.

RIGHT?!?!?!?

(Pssssttttt......Brownsville is down there at the bottom in the not red color)

[Linked Image]

RIGHT?!?!?!?

(Pssssttttt......Brownsville is down there at the bottom in the not red color)

[Linked Image]

Don't you live in one of the blue areas?
Nope.
Let me rephrase then, work?
Kingsland Texas on lake lbj.
Whether I actually "work" there is debatable, but I do get a paycheck mailed from within a blue county.
Well you are in luck cause the blue in your area is quite different than the blue down SW.
Originally Posted by eyeball

Kingsland on lake lbj.
Kingsland Texas on lake lbj.

That's just a wee-smidge different than Brownsville, my friend.

Travis
Originally Posted by acooper1983
163k spics vs 9000 whites, yea, no thanks.

A dimpcrap plan came to fruition.

Kingsland on lake lbj.

Hey, we have a lake house on Buchanan.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Travis finally got something right about the great Republic of Texas......Don't live anywhere near the TX/MX border.

Thanks JG. I knew you'd grow to love and admire me.

Do you have anywhere to hunt those Audaddydoes (spelling?) out your way?

One of my stupid friends wants to kill one.

Travis
Well sure, Travy. That is, if you want to guide little travy.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Thanks JG. I knew you'd grow to love and admire me.

Do you have anywhere to hunt those Audaddydoes (spelling?) out your way?

One of my stupid friends wants to kill one.

Travis

Eaaaaasy there Slugger....I don't want anything to do with your "little Travy"! smile
not only NO, but fugg NO and anybody who thinks otherwise deserves to live in brownsville.
It lives up to it's name.

Brownsville. smile
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Well you are in luck cause the blue in your area is quite different than the blue down SW.

That's no joke. Austin, Houston and DFW are different worlds than the valley.
I used to live in the Rio Grande Valley. One thing I can add is that you won't get picked for jury duty. I was called up once. The first people to be excused were the white people. I went another time but they settled just before they started to pick a jury.
I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable.

I dunno if anyone has pointed it out yet, but a big appeal of living close to Mexico was Mexico, not the Border areas, but further south. A couple of teachers at our school used to trailer a boat down there every summer for fishing the coast. Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende in the mountains come to mind too. Hunting was good some places also.

Pretty much all that has gone now.

For my own part, the deciding factor for me thirty years back was roads, or the nature thereof. I lived on motorcycles back then and it would have been a four-hour haul just to find a road with a decent curve on it.

All the negatives above having been said, if the guy does end up there, they have a friggin' outstanding Science magnet high school outside of McAllen.

Birdwatcher

And, you can buy liquor cheap across the border and used to go across for good resturants, too. Id guess the cartels have ruined those too.
Do you boys that live farther north in Texas worry about the cartels ruining your areas as well? Seems like a bad situation over the horizon.
Originally Posted by Scotty
I used to live in the Rio Grande Valley. One thing I can add is that you won't get picked for jury duty. I was called up once. The first people to be excused were the white people. I went another time but they settled just before they started to pick a jury.

That is true! I get called ALL the time to go to jury duty, but never picked. I think last time I was there though I told them I wasn't the only white Republican male in Hidalgo County, that they could call someone else.

Eaaaaasy there Slugger....I don't want anything to do with your "little Travy"! smile

10-4.

I'll remove your name from the circle of trust.

Travis
Do you boys that live farther north in Texas worry about the cartels ruining your areas as well? Seems like a bad situation over the horizon.

Don't take my post about Matamoras and cartels as condemnation of the Valley. It is simply an area of "haves" and "have nots". If you have enough money to stay away from trouble, South Texas is a sportsman's paradise. I've never been to Alaska, but I would think the same would apply.

As far as cartels are concerned, they are in every major city in the US. South Tx is definitely not for anybody that is not tough, but I would live there in a heartbeat...if I was a "have".
We lived there 17 years in the golf resort of Rancho Viejo. Summer temps were mostly 95 degrees and around Mc allen they were hotter maybe 10 degrees. One evening the news had a report of a hand grenade thrown in a bar at Pharr but it didn't go off. Never heard anymore about it but I am now back in western Oklahoma where there is not likely to be any grenades. I only miss the weather.
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
We lived there 17 years in the golf resort of Rancho Viejo. Summer temps were mostly 95 degrees and around Mc allen they were hotter maybe 10 degrees. One evening the news had a report of a hand grenade thrown in a bar at Pharr but it didn't go off. Never heard anymore about it but I am now back in western Oklahoma where there is not likely to be any grenades. I only miss the weather.

I remember that!
Originally Posted by tdd4570
Brownsville has only gotten worse in the past 20 years.

No. I would not take my family there.

x10
Oddly enough I just relocated to just north of San Antonio and it's rare in a given day I see a Mexican or any minority for that matter. Very rare. We have a few work in the shop, but not a whole lot and I rarely see any out shopping including wal-mart.

Edit - just looked it up on wikipedia. 95% white here according to the census.
While we're talking up the Valley, I ougtta point out that they still apparently host about 100,000 bird watchers every year in a 300 million dollar industry.

The point being that, despite the fact that these people are mostly from out of state, mostly quite well-off, mostly clueless, mostly older, and spend a lot of time standing out in rural areas on our bank of the Rio Grande looking south, ya hardly ever hear of anything bad happening to them.

Can't recall the last time, even property crimes.

Birdwatcher
Pat just won the Powerball!!!

He, Dan, Bob and I are all moving there. Living with Pat. We might even bring Sean.

Good times!! grin
Well sure, Travy. That is, if you want to guide little travy.

You want me to kill an Auodadarino with my cock?

We can try. I guess.

PM sent.

Travis
Originally Posted by byc
Pat just won the Powerball!!!

He, Dan, Bob and I are all moving there. Living with Pat. We might even bring Sean.

Good times!! grin

You know you're a die hard Texan when your million-dollar retirement dream home is in the fugging Valley.

Wow.

Travis
Buying the hold damn city as well as Mexico and cleaning house
There's two territories in Texas, from I-10 north you are in Texas, from I-10 south you are in North Mexico. I don't have anything against Mexicans as a whole but I would not desire to live in Mexico and that's exactly how you'd feel down there. I recently moved from San Antonio to Temple and it's amazing how fast the pop changes to majority white as opposed to majority Mexican as soon as you get north of San Antonio.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
There's two territories in Texas, from I-10 north you are in Texas, from I-10 south you are in North Mexico. I don't have anything against Mexicans as a whole but I would not desire to live in Mexico and that's exactly how you'd feel down there. I recently moved from San Antonio to Temple and it's amazing how fast the pop changes to majority white as opposed to majority Mexican as soon as you get north of San Antonio.

Good call.

Travis
Wait till we're done cleaning it up you'll think you're in Montana
minus,the mountains,trees,fresh cool air and elk but otherwise same/same
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Wait till we're done cleaning it up you'll think you're in Montana
minus,the mountains,trees,fresh cool air and elk but otherwise same/same

Just don't do away with the "somebody schit on your chest" smell.

It just wouldn't be the same.

Travis
I'm sure the winter climate is grand compared to PA. But a summer on the gulf coast is something that has to be experienced to understand.

This right here. Triple digit heat and humidity for months on end is going to be a real eye opener.

10-4.

I'll remove your name from the circle of trust.

Travis

That hurts....
Mexicans are considered the other white people.

That hurts....

That's what she said...

Clark
Brownsville or anywhere in the RGV..... [bleep] NO.

The gangs are everywhere. Heck the high schools in our county are a recruiting ground! We're a good 230 miles north of Laredo. Even farther from the valley. I just had a whole bunch of marble counter top makers lease or buy the shop on the place next door to us. Noisy azz bastids! But they mind their own business.

Kingsland on lake lbj.

Hey, we have a lake house on Buchanan.

How far from the water is it with the lake level being down. Good fishing for white bass and hybrids on Buchanon or as the locals say Buck Cannon?

My wife and I are really enjoying the fair weather here. We are not looking forward to going back to Cheeseville come April. But we don't like real hot weather either so come June we wouldn't want to be in Kingsland.
Would you relocate to Brownsville, TX?

yes I would

not my first choice

but

not my last
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

The gangs are everywhere. Heck the high schools in our county are a recruiting ground! We're a good 230 miles north of Laredo. Even farther from the valley. I just had a whole bunch of marble counter top makers lease or buy the shop on the place next door to us. Noisy azz bastids! But they mind their own business.

From what I can see, the cartels operate in the US like any other organized criminals. If you aren't mixed up with them, you have little to fear from them. In fact, your kids might go to private school with theirs and the like. You have far more to worry about with some random street crime than a cartel.

That might change as things change but for now at least, they seem to follow the pattern other organized criminals in our history where they primarily stick to "business" and prey primarily on others of their own ethnic stock.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

From what I can see, the cartels operate in the US like any other organized criminals. If you aren't mixed up with them, you have little to fear from them. In fact, your kids might go to private school with theirs and the like. You have far more to worry about with some random street crime than a cartel.

That might change as things change but for now at least, they seem to follow the pattern other organized criminals in our history where they primarily stick to "business" and prey primarily on others of their own ethnic stock.

Too [bleep] funny...

Travis

why not just move to Mexico , the population of Wetbacks is about on par with Brownsville, now you know why it is named Brownsville

Too [bleep] funny...

Travis

I should have added that you have far more to fear from the gangs of organized criminals headquartered in Washington, D.C. and your various state capitals than the cartels as well.

You pretty much have to be mixed up with drugs to worry about the cartels. The others, have their minions out running the streets collecting tribute on a daily basis.
The place sounds like nothing but filth and misery.

I should have added that you have far more to fear from the gangs of organized criminals headquartered in Washington, D.C. and your various state capitals than the cartels as well.

You pretty much have to be mixed up with drugs to worry about the cartels. The others, have their minions out running the streets collecting tribute on a daily basis.

Walk your white ass through a cartel owned nieghborhood and see how long you can mind your own business.

Travis

Walk your white ass through a cartel owned nieghborhood and see how long you can mind your own business.

Travis

Why the frick would I want to walk my white ass through a cartel owned neighborhood? If a negro or a Mexican walks through my neighborhood, he will get more or less run out as well, assuming he makes it through the gates.

Why the frick would I want to walk my white ass through a cartel owned neighborhood? If a negro or a Mexican walks through my neighborhood, he will get more or less run out as well, assuming he makes it through the gates.

Laughin' my ass off.

Travis
I love it when white people in gated neighborhoods know all about how the rest of the world works.

Rich white folks are every bit as out of touch with reality as welfare babies

Its about 300 yards from the back yard fence to the water. Fishing for blacks is fair, whites and stripers good and catfish OK.

I like the water being down. It makes for good arrowhead hunting and huge areas for 4-wheeling, plus herds of deer feeding between the house and lake in the mornings and evenings.
right, i have family down there but almost never go visit. we lived in harlingen in the 60s when i was a kid, don't remember it being bad back then.
I love it when white people in gated neighborhoods know all about how the rest of the world works.

Rich white folks are every bit as out of touch with reality as welfare babies

I still have to work. I'm not rich. Cartels are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down on my list of things to worry about.

Anyone who worries about them more than they worry about getting carjacked at an ATM by a 'Democrat' or getting hit a stoplight by a soccer mom distracted by her cell phone while driving her Yukon Denali XL is engaging in a form of mental masturbation only justifiable by mental illness or a neurotic need to feel threatened by SOMETHING.

Its about 300 yards from the back yard fence to the water. Fishing for blacks is fair, whites and stripers good and catfish OK.

I like the water being down. It makes for good arrowhead hunting and huge areas for 4-wheeling, plus herds of deer feeding between the house and lake in the mornings and evenings.

Point hunting used to be good over there round Garrett island when the lake is down!
Leave it to the retard in the gated community to [bleep] the page up.

Travis
FIX YOUR POST!
Well how else were you gonna understand how far down his list it was?
He'll be right back, had to go make sure no black people were sneaking passed the gate.
He'll be right back, had to go make sure no black people were sneaking passed the gate.

Just sent a young buck packing he almost made it past the cop sleeping at the gate. And no, I will not fix my post. If the damned board wasn't so glitch lately, there is no reason for it do that.
Joe Bob screwed up the page?? Dam....
Is it too late for me to screw this one up?
JoeBob confronting a black dude...

That's epic funny.

"CLOSE THE GATE!!!!!"

Travis
we was banned from going to Matamoros/mexico just across the river from Brownsville in 1988 when I was stationed at ft hood

seems they had a cannibal cult in Matamoros making bowls out of skulls for their chilli and fruitloops from u.s. college students heads........................

sounds like a heck of an area!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeBob confronting a black dude...

That's epic funny.

"CLOSE THE GATE!!!!!"

Travis

As the point guard and sole white starter on my high school basketball team, I know a thing or two about confronting young black guys. Being a child of the '80s I knew always to check the bus seat for Jheri Curl marks and I could tell you what lotion was best for ash.

But, yeah, black dudes don't scare me much. Black guys been getting by for too long by assuming that white people are scarred of them.
Originally Posted by renegade50
we was banned from going to Matamoros/mexico just across the river from Brownsville in 1988 when I was stationed at ft hood

seems they had a cannibal cult in Matamoros making bowls out of skulls for their chilli and fruitloops from u.s. college students heads........................

Got lost looking for the donkey show in Juarez one night. And somehow, I didn't notice when the gal in the whorehouse took $20 out of my pockets even though we just walked in and looked around for a minute. If you've been there, you'll get it.
Originally Posted by renegade50

That was that Sataria (sic) cult that kidnapped that UT Austin kid during Spring Break and ate him! I remember that well! AG at the time got all in that!
The place sounds like nothing but filth and misery.
I here ya... this thread has me writing down ""Brownsville TX"" ...JUST SO I CAN CROSS IF OFF.......
As the point guard and sole white starter on my high school basketball team, I know a thing or two about confronting young black guys.

And I was worried this would be a boring day.
As the point guard and sole white starter on my high school basketball team, I know a thing or two about confronting young black guys.

And I was worried this would be a boring day.

All you have to do is break them down a time or two and take it to the hole. Then they'll start limping and acting like they are injured after getting embarrassed by the white boy. Before you know it, he'll be on the bench and you'll have a new fish to embarrass.
All you have to do is break them down a time or two and take it to the hole.

Words to live by.
All you have to do is break them down a time or two and take it to the hole.

Words to live by.

yes indeed, but remember Joe Bob, short words, short words work

Where does one find "a cartel owned neighborhood?" Drugs are available everywere down here near as I can tell, but drugs seem to be freely available to high schools kids anywhere in the Lower 48..

I go to all the wrong places down here, and I ain't found a place yet I can get stomped merely for being White, 'cept maybe the Black neighborhoods.

South Texas is strange that way.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM

I would probably head back to my place in Kazakhstan

Do they allow open carry?

Travis

Legally? No. Appears that didn't matter much. Pretty young girls too just sniffin' for an American.

[Linked Image]

You can hop on a cruise ship and see the Caspian as well. Killer sturgeon fishing too.

[Linked Image]

Was there on my honeymoon back in 1980. Padre Island was nice. Brownsville was just starting to go down the sheater. Would I go there? For a week maybe. I'd be buying my ruby red grapefruit during the daylight though.
I went to Matamoras a few times in the late 80's when I lived in San Antonio. As border towns went, it was of the cleaner and nicer ones. The situation is much worse now and there is no way I would go back.
my youngest brother got thrown in jail for fighting, in Matamoras back in 89. cost my other 2 brothers and i 3000 in bribes to get him out.
Here in NW CT the temperature is 7F right now at 11:45 AM, wind is 12 mph and there is almost two feet of snow everywhere.

I have two electric heaters going on me and we got an heating oil delivery of over 200 gallons $2.63 a gallon!
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here in NW CT the temperature is 7F right now at 11:45 AM, wind is 12 mph and there is almost two feet of snow everywhere.

I have two electric heaters going on me and we got an heating oil delivery of over 200 gallons $2.63 a gallon!

I own a Chocolate Lab.

Travis
How much chocolate can you turn out in a day????

laugh
© 24hourcampfire