Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a friend that has been offered a job with SpaceX. Its a good opportunity for him, but the position will require relocation to Brownsville, TX. I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable. Any campfire members that live in Brownsville or familiar with the area that can offer a more objective assessment that I could pass along?

His wife is an RN. He would be going there in an IT position for SpaceX. Neither is bilingual.

Stush
GB4

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wouldn't worry about not being bilingual, Brownsville is only 94% Hispanic

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brownsville has only gotten worse in the past 20 years.

No. I would not take my family there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FIL lives there in a geezer community.
Wife says it sucks...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He'd be leaving PA for TX. Even Brownsville is a step up.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

True.

And leave the gun control attitude behind. Jump in with both feet and buy an AR-15, get a CCW, and enjoy!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
One could likely get housekeeping and yard work done inexpensively...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Stush
I have a friend that has been offered a job with SpaceX. Its a good opportunity for him, but the position will require relocation to Brownsville, TX. I was there once, but it was almost 20 years ago. At that time, all I could think was, "I hope I never have to come back here again." I realize that a lot can change in 20 years, but the impression that I had was not favorable. Any campfire members that live in Brownsville or familiar with the area that can offer a more objective assessment that I could pass along?

His wife is an RN. He would be going there in an IT position for SpaceX. Neither is bilingual.

Fugg and no.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True.

And leave the gun control attitude behind. Jump in with both feet and buy an AR-15, get a CCW, and enjoy!

Factor in the pay increase, the decrease in taxes, the lower cost of living, and it NOT being PA, and there's even more to consider.

It never fails to amaze me how people will turn down good jobs with better pay in better places to live with lower costs of living and lower taxes (and better freedoms) because it's not "perfect", yet they'll remain in some schithole state with crap pay, less options, more gov't intrusion, higher taxes, and greater expense, all the while bitching about the same.

It's a good job, with options, and it's better than where he is now. Not taking it would be stupid.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Fugg and no.

Travis

The alternative is to stay in PA. Consider that.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wouldn't move my family to Brownsville, TX for $5 million dollars.

It's not next to Mexico, it is Mexico.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The alternative is to stay in PA. Consider that.

I considered it.

I'd stay in PA.

Travis

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True.

Factor in the pay increase, the decrease in taxes, the lower cost of living, and it NOT being PA, and there's even more to consider.

It never fails to amaze me how people will turn down good jobs with better pay in better places to live with lower costs of living and lower taxes (and better freedoms) because it's not "perfect", yet they'll remain in some schithole state with crap pay, less options, more gov't intrusion, higher taxes, and greater expense, all the while bitching about the same.

It's a good job, with options, and it's better than where he is now. Not taking it would be stupid.

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a lot of demographic info on it: BROWNSVILLE

city-data.com is a very useful site for anyone considering a relocation. It pretty well covers it all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to figure how a blue for red swap don't put you among better people.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....

Stush
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Hard to figure how a blue for red swap don't put you among better people.

Wow. Brownsville and the valley are red now?

I had no idea. I hope he enjoys living amongst those "better people."

Too fuggin 'funny.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PA has 67 counties. About 7 are blue. The other 60 or so are overwhelmingly red. It is far from perfect here, but there are some redeeming qualities....

Keep telling yourself that.

Tax rate? State economic situation? Employment options and economic growth? Support of 2A? Real estate market? Compare those to TX. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That part of Texas is as blue as the fugging sky.

If you were single I'd say go for it, if you are married and planning on having a family? No fugging way.

If you have any doubts, hop a flight, rent a car, and cruise Browsville, AKA Brown-town, AKA Brownhole, AKA The Schithole of Texas.

Travis

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Most of Pa. is red and has some really good hunting and fishing in many areas. No way for me. Not even close. Everything east of the Mississippi would have to be like present day Massachusetts for me to consider a move to anywhere in Texas.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.