Home
Posted By: BLG Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
I'm tired of these cheap asss gas grills with "stainless" burners that rot out in a couple of years. Does anyone have a lead on a manufacturer that makes a gas bbq pit with cast iron burners? Normal size 4 burners or so.

Can't seem to nail one down on the interweb.

Clyde
Posted By: horse1 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
My 1st set of Weber burners lasted me 8 years of year-round grilling from ~100F down to -25F and leaving the grill outside all the time, uncovered. We have NO salt air here in ND though. Last summer I bought 3 new burners and a new Piezo starter, it works like it's brand new now ~9mo later. I grill 2-3 times/wk on average and split duty between my Weber and the Big Green Egg about 30/70. The weber was my only grill for 7 yrs.

I had an Aussie grill w/Cast Iron burners that lasted ~3yrs in this same environment before the burners rusted out.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
We just got rid of our old 3 burner Weber Spirit gas grill around Labor Day. 18 years old. Kept outside uncovered for 13 of those years. Only replaced the burners once.

Started out with cast iron grates that would rust over the winter when it wasn't used as frequently. Replaced them with stainless steel.

It needed another rebuild last summer and I said no. Replaced just about everything once over 18 years and wasn't going to do it again. Didn't owe us a thing.

So I replaced it with a Weber Summit. 4 burners on this one and built like a tank. Maybe this one will last 20 years...we'll see.

Dan
Posted By: JGray Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
I keep reading nothing but good things about Weber grills and have said that's what I'll buy next time. The only problem is we have a four burner Char-Broil bought on sale at Home Depot for under $300. That was in 2006 and it gets used year round, sits outside uncovered, and is still going strong with nary an issue.

I prefer charcoal, but my wife and stepdaughter prefer gas so we're often using both simultaneously.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
My Weber is going on 15 years one set of burners and one set of cooking grates.

One thing you must remember about stainless, there are many different grades, cheaper grills will use cheaper stainless.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
Cabelas smoker grill will make anything gas, less attractive. These things have cast burners and cook with smoke, nothing is better....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
Gas grills are like 270's...
Posted By: Torg Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
http://www.tejassmokers.com/index.html Prices, high as hell, but, good info. Stuff looks, anvil tough.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/20/15
I have a basic two burner grill I inherited from my parents, One of those that Arkla made. Dad bought it sometime in the early '70s. Gets rebuilt every few years with universal replacement parts - easy - and I figure I'm way ahead on the deal. With the heat cycles no rationally priced burner will hold up but the porcelainized grill is really hanging in there.

Needs a rebuild sometime this summer, burner, igniter, wire wheel the oxidation off the cast aluminum body and hit it with high temp spray paint. Like new and it cooks just fine for propane.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Going on 7 years with this brand. The burners have a lifetime guarantee and I just replaced them for free. I need to replace the flavorizers or whatever they are called. They are also 10 minutes away so I was able to go to the source. They are not cheap.
http://www.bullbbqshop.com/buy/pc/S...U0qYSATBudVc8wDupsvZkEYdE6z_6xoCrM3w_wcB
Posted By: Pugs Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Reliable and stunning in their effectiveness? grin

I have a gas grill, an offset smoker a weber kettle and this week a BGE... All have their place. When it comes to a gas grill buy a Weber and pay the price once. No regrets.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
I bought a Weber Genesis about 5 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Charcoal and the smoker style setups would be sweet if you had the time but for me it's so nice to come home after work, hit the igniter and be grilling in 5-10 minutes.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
The Napoleon Prestige or Prestige Pro is another gas grill worth considering if locally available. They are the like the "Weber" of Canada.

If you can find a good price (not sticker).I think I liked them a little better than the Weber Genesis. Their features are a little different but the construction seemed heavy duty. It's my opinion that you may be able to talk a retailer into a discount where the Weber's prices are fixed, kinda like a Leupold scope is.

Dan
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
My next grill will likely be a Trager.
BBQ grills as you know are not created equal, They have cheap shiny stainless units that look great in the store but rust out and go bad in short time. I went through this myself. Finally I did some looking the problem is in most cases the internals of cheap grills are NOT stainless. weber was the only grill I could see that had stainless burners and heat spreaders as well as stainless cooking grates. So I bought a weber genesis. I paid about $650 for it, it looks like a $250 grill from the outside, but the devil is in the details.

even better is the company weber is !!!!!! holy crap talk about a company with their act together. mine blew off the cement pad in a wind storm, wheels were not locked. and it fell over and broke the main outer bottom and dented up some panels. I called weber and they asked what happened and I told them. They gave me a very very fair price on the replacement parts.

fast forward about 3 years. my wife broke the electronic ignitor her fault. I call up weber and without saying anything they are like hello, steve, are you calling about parts for your genesis 310 grill? I was floored they knew this and kept records of who I was and my grill. I simply would not buy another brand.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Not sure if the burners are cast iron, but the grates are and everything else is stainless JENN AIRE had mine for 11 years and still going strong sits outside under the porch cover. Not cheap but the best one I have ever had.
Webers are all I've ever owned. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Gas and electricity is for running automobiles and cities. Lump charcoal is for grilling and making bbq. Although, I did own a Weber gasser before I "saw the light" and it was a decent grill. Few gas grills get hot enough to properly sear a steak IMO.

Mike
Posted By: mathman Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
It may not be just temperature or lack thereof. The main products of combustion for a gas grill are carbon dioxide and water. Very hot water, but water nonetheless.
Posted By: Claybirds Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Bought one of these years ago, would buy one again in a second.

Check out the link - Holland grills

[Linked Image]
Posted By: farmer Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by Claybirds
Bought one of these years ago, would buy one again in a second.

Check out the link - Holland grills

[Linked Image]

2x on the holland
Posted By: viking Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
3x on the Holland. I bought one last year. Those things are so versatile and simple. My wife even likes to use it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15

That...
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That...

I totally agree.

When you simply need to get it done without any extra fluff or fuuckin' around.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Who wants to wait a half hour for the coals to heat up when you just want a couple burgers after work, or use 5 dollars worth of coals to heat up 3 dollars worth of hotdogs?
Ben, we obviously aren't elitists......

Hotdogs?

You actually eat those things????

grin
I buy the $300 grill every 4-5 years, I don't really do maintanence, or excessive cleaning, So when its beat and its time for new grill I don't worry about it.

I work on our family farm, so its a quick way to make a decent lunch a few times a week, just fire it up and be back to work in a half hour, no real clean up etc.
I can do about 2 lunches a month on hotdogs but no more haha.

My point is if I was grilling $50 dollars worth of meat I wouldn't mind spending the money on coal.

Just depends on what you plan on grilling.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Cabelas smoker grill will make anything gas, less attractive. These things have cast burners and cook with smoke, nothing is better....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, I've seen burning tires produce less smoke, and that's certainly less attractive. May I suggest you concentrate on guiding goobs that use rifles and ammo that don't fit. wink
Posted By: horse1 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I buy the $300 grill every 4-5 years, I don't really do maintanence, or excessive cleaning, So when its beat and its time for new grill I don't worry about it.

Weber would save you big $$ in the long run. ~$150 worth of burners and grill grates about once/decade keeps it running like brand new sitting outside with 0 maint/cleanup. My "cleanup" consists of letting the thing run on "pre-heat" for about 15min after using it if I think it's getting dirty.

Holland's are great for anything you want to cook slowly.
Posted By: shortleade Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Weber. Hunting club I was in had one that somebody left there. It was prolly 15 years old and worked like a champ. I noticed that it cooked real even across the surface of the grill. Bought one for the house and we enjoy using it so much we cook on it a lot more than we ever did with any of the other grills we had.

I use it a lot with the center burner turned off, indirect heat kinda thing. When it was about three and a half years old I went to light it and the center burner wouldn't light. After a bit of troubleshooting I fingered out that the problem was the manifold. Paperwork with the grill stated a two year warranty. Called up Weber to order a new one.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!! A lady on the phone that speaks English. She asked a few intelligent questions and agreed that I needed a manifold. She noted the age of the grill and then told me they would send a new manifold under warranty! Nice! This call was taking place on a Wednesday afternoon. I was tickled to death that I was gonna get a new manifold for free, and then this gal starts apologizing that she doubts if they can get it to me before the weekend! Ha! At 0900 hours the very next morning a UPS truck slid to a stop out in the road...and I had my new manifold. Nuff said
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Webers are the chit as far as box store gas grills go. I dig my old Weber kettle charcoal grill as well.

A $20 weed burner from Harbor Frieght will get your coals ready lickity split.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Anyone can cook on a grill.

If you like gas grills, and use them to cook your food, they will do that... Some better than others. If you want your hotdogs done in 10 minutes from start to finish, and don't like smoke, then that's the way to roll. shocked

But, if you want your meat to cook at the proper temperature, get the right sear, and have some flavor to it, use something that doesn't turn on at the propane bottle.... wink

Looking at meat prices now, I'll not "ruin" any meat on a gas grill anymore. I build a fire on my pit, even for simple things like cooking hamburgers.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by MadMooner
A $20 weed burner from Harbor Frieght will get your coals ready lickity split.

+1. A MAPP torch works good too. Not as fast as the weed burner, but still pretty damn fast.

Mike
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Leaf blower really dumps the oxygen to charcoal as well. I don't think charcoal chimneys are supposed to glow.......
Posted By: mathman Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Who grills hotdogs anyway?
Posted By: horse1 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by mathman
Who grills hotdogs anyway?

People who don't like cleaning up the 'sloded ones outta the neucrowave.
Posted By: MShuntfish Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/22/15
You really need two, but I only have the Holland.

Fish / chicken / thin cuts of pork on the Holland. I have a Holland. It's fantastic for these applications.

Beef and thick cuts of pork on Green Egg. The Holland won't cut it for a steak.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/22/15
I had good luck with Webers back when I used gas grills...rebuild every several years. Four years ago I got smart and go a Weber kettle style charcoal grill (for about $110) and have never looked back. I will never go back to gas, the results with charcoal are so much superior.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/22/15
My current 6-burner Weber is about 9 years old.. All I've replaced so far is one set of grills. Should last me another 9.. smile

But - they aren't cheap. Mine ran $1000 delivered from CO. back then.. The new Summit S-620 (6-burners) run about $2000, IIRC..but comes with a ten-year warranty...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/22/15
I'm inclined to buy a big grill, before the EPA puts a bunch of needless crap on them. Can someone concisely state why a Big Green Egg or other premium charcoal grill is better than a Weber or other premium gas grill. I've used both gas and charcoal, and can get good results with both.

Posted By: oulufinn Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/22/15
I've had a Weber Genesis Silver since '04. Burners are still fine, though I did replace the regulator, grates and V bars a bit over a year ago.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Stan V

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, I've seen burning tires produce less smoke, and that's certainly less attractive. May I suggest you concentrate on guiding goobs that use rifles and ammo that don't fit. wink

I'm guessing that is your petition to be invited on an elk hunt. Sorry, but we have no more room for goobs this year...
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Who wants to wait a half hour for the coals to heat up when you just want a couple burgers after work, or use 5 dollars worth of coals to heat up 3 dollars worth of hotdogs?

I admit, it does take a wee bit of planning, but it doesn't have to take 1/2 hour to get the coals hot

[Linked Image]

15-20 minutes is just about the right amount of time to form the patties, slide up some onions, tomatoes, clean some lettuce, set the table and most importantly crack open one of these

[Linked Image]

I don't see how anyone could use $5 worth of charcoal to cook a couple of patties. I get a two pack of Kingsford competition charcoal, 36 #'s from Costco for under $20. That's enough charcoal for a summers worth of evening bbq's, and running the grill for several hours feeding the hs cross country running team and their parents.

If I have to spend 5-10 more minutes for a superior product, I figure that's time well spent.

Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Did the charcoal thing for years. Had to make sure I had charcoal and lighter fluid and then scrub under the briquettes grate once in awhile or you would get a sub par flame. Also had to dump the ashes somewhere.

Moved onto a Brinkmann gas grill that ran off the natural gas from the house. Worked OK but would hotspot and the ignitor worked about 50/50. It was a piece of schitt really.

Moved onto a Weber Genesis and it's been a cooking machine. Getting it to 600* is no problem. Grills steaks, burgers, dogs, brats, pheasant poppers, kabobs with no problem. Quick and easy to start, heats up in minutes and shut it off and roll it back against the house once it cools. So simple, even a caveman could use it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Weber kettle style charcoal grill (for about $110) and have never looked back

Did the same and use it for the really good stuff. Now use gas for the cheaper stuff like chops and burgers just as a time saver. I said I'd go for a gas unit when the Weber wore out. That was about 32 years ago. I gave up after 12 years and picked up a Sears brand gas unit that is still with us. I'm going to have to patch in a new igniter, but it's still quite solid as is the Weber.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm tired of these cheap asss gas grills with "stainless" burners that rot out in a couple of years. Does anyone have a lead on a manufacturer that makes a gas bbq pit with cast iron burners? Normal size 4 burners or so.

Can't seem to nail one down on the interweb.

Clyde

FireMagic makes grills with cast iron, and even better cast stainless. So does Lynxx and Viking.

of course - you'd better be prepared to empty your wallet. I have a 10 year old built in FireMagic that still cooks excellent. A GREAT grill.
Posted By: Billc Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
I have had the same charcoal grill for the last 45 years. a old "patio Pal". have gone thru two sets of wheels and that's it. still cooks up a brisket to perfection. never have tried a gas grill.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Billc
still cooks up a brisket to perfection.

The BGE guys in the cooking section will revolt or possibly threaten mass suicide if this should become common knowledge.

I dare ya !!!!!!
laugh laugh
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/24/15
smile well there are BGE's at the local Ace Hardware. And Weber Genesis at the local Lowes.

So I'm still debating. But I do have a good sized charcoal grill and a small gas grill. smile
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/24/15

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Words of wisdom right there, listen up.
Posted By: Natty_Bumpo Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I bought a Weber Genesis about 5 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Charcoal and the smoker style setups would be sweet if you had the time but for me it's so nice to come home after work, hit the igniter and be grilling in 5-10 minutes.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

W*E*B*E*R G*E*N*E*S*I*S

"Buy Once, Cry Once"

It was -20deg F here this winter and no problem at all to get that grill smoking hot (~550 deg), in no time at all, for grilling up some tasty rib eyes. Worth the money.

NB

Posted By: Redneck Re: Speaking of gas grills - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by oulufinn
I've had a Weber Genesis Silver since '04. Burners are still fine, though I did replace the regulator, grates and V bars a bit over a year ago.
I couldn't remember when I got this grill, so I found the S/N on the unit and called Weber to ask when I registered this thing.. Early 2004.

Dang. Other than the grates last fall and a battery every year or two for the igniter I've done nothing but cook on it..

I also checked on the S-670 (newest version of mine) - $2499.00! (gulp) The current one better last another ten.. laugh
If you're wanting gas, Weber's the one. USA, great customer service, can get anything needed for it , if need be, quickly.
© 24hourcampfire