Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Stopped by the liquor store while I was in town today
They had Bulliet Rye on sale.
Since I like Bulliet,, and Rye,, and sales,, I picked up a bottle.

Holy Chit!!! That stuff's good.
Matter of fact,,, it's so good I just poured a second glass.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Yes it is $24 here but $16 in Rapid City
Posted By: Scott F Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Stopped by the liquor store while I was in town today
They had Bulliet Rye on sale.
Since I like Bulliet,, and Rye,, and sales,, I picked up a bottle.

Holy Chit!!! That stuff's good.
Matter of fact,,, it's so good I just poured a second glass.

A friend introduced me to it a while back. Not a big drinker but it ain't at all bad.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by eh76

$25 on sale ($27 normally) here.

F-ing state liquor stores is the only thing I don't like about ID.
I'd move to Rapid City cept it's Rapid City.
Move to WA. With the new laws the taxes brought the prices up to right about double OR prices.
No thanks.

I'm right across the line from WA.
$2 "Litter" charge + 7% sales tax + 20% liquor tax last time I bought anything over there.
Probably worse now.
Whaler rum is under eleven bucks in OR and over twenty two in WA. Glad I am in OR.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I'm conserving, and saving for special occasions and medicinal purposes, a bottle of this nectar, .....left here some years back by some campfire miscreants that blew through on one of their tears.

I'll tell ya' what,.....that is some GOOD Rye.

....and I learned to read Rye North of the Medicine Line.

Some of the Canadian high grades are approaching holy and sacramental in both flavor and mellow buzzness.

Semper Good Whiskey !

GTC
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I am quite a fan of Bulleit Rye
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
How does "Rye" differ from bourbon? I can't seem to pull the trigger on Rye on the chance that I won't like it.
Would hate to waste it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I like their bourbon but have yet to try the rye.
Posted By: Nail Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Raeford
How does "Rye" differ from bourbon? I can't seem to pull the trigger on Rye on the chance that I won't like it.
Would hate to waste it.

I was in your shoes for a spell but finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of the Bulliet Rye. Didn't like it at all. You might though and there's only one way to find out.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
Move to WA. With the new laws the taxes brought the prices up to right about double OR prices.

Don't remind me! I discovered that last year while stuck at the Great Wolf Lodge. Nothing like paying 100+% tax..........
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Nail
Would hate to waste it.

I was in your shoes for a spell but finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of the Bulliet Rye. Didn't like it at all. You might though and there's only one way to find out.

Thanks-if there are any similarities to Scotch I'm pretty sure that I won't care for it at all. And now that I've finally gotten my hands on a bottle of Eagle Rare, well damn, just damn.... smile
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I have tried several Rye's. Bulleit is certainly okay. I very much like their regular Bourbon. The Rye is passable. Easily the best Rye Whiskey I have ever had is High West Rendezvous Rye.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15

I'm pretty sure I know where you got yours from Keith!

FieldGrade - Don't knock it. Right in the Black Hills, warm all winter long, you used to be able to get lots of deer and antelope tags! What's not to like?

Bob

Originally Posted by Bobcape

FieldGrade - Don't knock it. Right in the Black Hills, warm all winter long, you used to be able to get lots of deer and antelope tags! What's not to like?

Bob

I was just funning Bob.
I've been through that country several times and like it allot.
Matter of fact,,, I like it even more now that I know the price of Bulliet but I'll stick with Clearwater county,,,, state liquor stores and all.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
It's the only rye I've tried but I like it.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Yeah it's good stuff
Posted By: Roundup Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I agree. Tried several other brands of rye lately besides Bulliet including: Pendleton 1910 from Canada, Dickels Rye. Was quite impressed by both of them. Retail price on Dickels was quite reasonable.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Roundup
I agree. Tried several other brands of rye lately besides Bulliet including: Pendleton 1910 from Canada, Dickels Rye. Was quite impressed by both of them. Retail price on Dickels was quite reasonable.
IMO High West for the best and Dickel's for bargain.
Posted By: Roundup Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Last bottle of Dickels was $17.00 & change in Oregon.
Posted By: byc Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Would hate to waste it.

This pretty much captures it:

Taste Differences:
There are some generalizations that can be made when tasting Bourbon and Rye:

Bourbon tends to be fuller in body, richer and there are more concentrated notes of vanilla, baking spices and caramel.
Rye tends to be drier, more of a focus on the vegetal aspect of rye and almost always dominated by spice.
Canadian rye tends to be more mellow and light, with a hint of the Rye spiciness
Originally Posted by Bobcape

Bob

And half the price of Templeton Rye
Posted By: mathman Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
[Linked Image]

Then why ruin it?
Ruined according to whom? wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Me, the arbiter of all things whisk(e)y. grin
Posted By: BamaCKC Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Bulleit ain't bad, but if you like it try Templeton Rye. I love it.
Posted By: Teal Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
The only way I can drink rye is if I'm already sitting on a toilet.

World's greatest laxative.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
I tried Bulliet Rye a couplee years ago. I liked it so well I too some on a camping trip with old military buddies. Also brought along Bulliet Bourbon and the guys had some other. Not much else got touched until the rye was gone.

I have tried some other rye since. Knob Creek Rye is nasty to me, but Pendleton Rye is pretty good.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/23/15
Bulleit, Templeton, Dickel, High West, James Pepper, Willett, and Redemption ryes are all distilled at LDI/MGP in Indiana with a mash bill of 95% rye. The main differences between them are their aging time. The one exception being Dickel, which says they charcoal filter their rye like they do their Tennessee Whiskey.

If you want to try something other then the same 95% rye mash bill of the LDI ryes you can try Rittenhouse Rye (a Heaven Hill distillery product), Wild Turkey Rye which is actually distilled at the Wild Turkey distillery (what a concept)and Sazerac Rye which is a Buffalo Trace distillery product. I believe the non-LDI ryes use less Rye (but still > 50%)and so will have a bigger taste difference than between the LDI produced brands.

I like high rye bourbons and so figured I would like rye, and I do. I like the Dickel Rye and the Rittenhouse Rye.

Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image]

Then why ruin it?

LOL,,,, Saw it coming.

How's this?

And do I get extra points for the Bulliet glass?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Bulleit, Templeton, Dickel, High West, James Pepper, Willett, and Redemption ryes are all distilled at LDI/MGP in Indiana with a mash bill of 95% rye. The main differences between them are their aging time. The one exception being Dickel, which says they charcoal filter their rye like they do their Tennessee Whiskey.

If you want to try something other then the same 95% rye mash bill of the LDI ryes you can try Rittenhouse Rye (a Heaven Hill distillery product), Wild Turkey Rye which is actually distilled at the Wild Turkey distillery (what a concept)and Sazerac Rye which is a Buffalo Trace distillery product. I believe the non-LDI ryes use less Rye (but still > 50%)and so will have a bigger taste difference than between the LDI produced brands.

I like high rye bourbons and so figured I would like rye, and I do. I like the Dickel Rye and the Rittenhouse Rye.

I learned something,,,, thanks.

Good Burbon is my favorite but I like to change things up now and then with Rye or good ol Tennessee sour mash too.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by byc
[quote=Raeford]How does "Rye" differ from bourbon? I can't seem to pull the trigger on Rye on the chance that I won't like it.
Would hate to waste it.

This pretty much captures it:

Taste Differences:
There are some generalizations that can be made when tasting Bourbon and Rye:

Bourbon tends to be fuller in b

thanks for that David.

like others I have a bottle of Bulleit Rye in the cabinet, but haven't broken the seal yet.

I bought a humongous bottle of Bulleit Bourbon when Brown Jug opened here for like $34-35

I'm so pizzed I didn't clear their shelves out, just polished the last of it off at the cabin this weekend.

now I only have a six pack of fifth bottles left.

I liked the big bottles, hardly ever drink half or 3/4 of one of those vs. the small bottles frown
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Charlie, I've had the 'regular' Bulliet but never the rye.

Did hear this one on the radio a couple week ago.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
That's killer Sam!
Best rendition of that song I've heard.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
If you ever make it back this way, Charlie, I have a bed to lay your head. I'll grab ya a bottle of the best rye the Class Six has to offer. Maybe a few p-dog fields as well.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by teal

That's the kind of information a guy would want before a night on the town............. grin
Posted By: mathman Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
How's this?

[Linked Image]

Neat glass.

Ever use one like this? It concentrates the aroma for better enjoyment of that aspect.

[Linked Image]

http://www.glencairnwhiskyglass.com/

Posted By: HawkI Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
The best Rye can still be found at the fencepost and isn't made in Indiana....

Never had it with ice.
I bet there's some good corn at the fence post too.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Corn around here doesn't raise suspicions as much as the rye does!

They had to have been a tricky lot back then....
Posted By: Teal Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by 222Rem

That's the kind of information a guy would want before a night on the town............. grin

I learned by drinking at home first wink
And deprived yourself the opportunity for an epic Campfire story................ grin
How's this?

[Linked Image]

Neat glass.

Ever use one like this? It concentrates the aroma for better enjoyment of that aspect.

[Linked Image]

I have the same glasses. Got 6 of them off Amazon for 19 bucks. Crystal etc. Exact same glasses with the Glencairn logo on the bottoms and everything.

Love them for drinking.

[Linked Image]
And deprived yourself the opportunity for an epic Campfire story................ grin

Nothing scarier than a sneeze sometimes...
That's some nice Irish.
I like it a lot. I've had their black barrel/Select Reserve and really am a big fan of that as well. I need to get my own bottle.

The hard part is getting others to try it because they assume all Jameson's is the same - the blend you get behind the bar for car bombs.

Nothing scarier than a sneeze sometimes...

BTDT! blush
Posted By: eh76 Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
How's this?

[Linked Image]

Neat glass.

[Linked Image]

Glass? Throw the cap off the bottle and get after it........with ice of course! laugh
Seeing someone pour a good whiskey into a glass of ice is like hearing a steak being ordered well done.

I know, I know. To each his own, it's his steak, it's his whiskey, it's his money, yadda yadda. But geez, we have to draw a line somewhere. grin
I like it a lot. I've had their black barrel/Select Reserve and really am a big fan of that as well. I need to get my own bottle.

The hard part is getting others to try it because they assume all Jameson's is the same - the blend you get behind the bar for car bombs.

A close friend of mine is a whisk(e)y fan too. He has a better Irish collection than I do. He's got Redbreast 12 and 15, Jameson 12, Black Barrel, Gold, and Distiller's Selection 18, Midleton's Very Rare, Knappogue Castle, Tyrconnell, and also Green Spot. I'm sure I'm forgetting something as well.
I need to get on the Redbreast wagon. Never tried it.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Whiskey on the rocks does 2 things to whiskey, dilutes and chills. Most will commit this abomination because they don't like the burn or full taste of whiskey. If you don't like the burn and want to cut down the proof or want to open up the whiskey add spring water at room temperature. What you don't want to do is chill your whiskey. Since much of our taste is found in our sense of smell, when you chill a volatile substance as alcohol, you suppress the aromatics and you don't get the aromas. Less aromas, less taste. It's that simple. I want to get all the flavor out of the good whiskey that I buy. If you drink the cheap stuff, chill it, dilute it, add it to Mountain Dew cause it don't matter. Also, besides suppressing the aromatics of whiskey, ice will dilute it an uncontrolled amount. If you drink whiskey on the rocks there is probably one sip you like more than the others. The first couple sips might be too hot, some will seem much better and towards the end it'll be too watered down. Just add water to the taste you like best and enjoy every sip. After all this if you are still committed to drinking your whiskey on the rocks, at least drink the cheaper stuff and leave the good stuff for those of us that really enjoy the taste of whiskey. I used to drink whiskey on the rocks too, I learned the error of my way and started enjoying it more. You can too.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
I used to drink whiskey on the rocks too, I learned the error of my way and started enjoying it more.

^^^^^^^ Ditto

I have great well water so that's what I use.
From what I've read, you just want to stay away from chlorinated water (which makes sense).

Mathman got me started on the "splash of water thing".
He was dead on with that advice so I may have to try those snifter looking glasses too even though I love my little oval shaped Bulliet glasses.
I have a set of Glencarin glasses along with a Glencarin pitcher for the water. They are great little glasses and IMO do enhance the enjoyment. Not for use on the rocks. Some places you can get them personalized with your monogram or other customization. They make a great gift for anyone that is into good whiskey.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
folks tend to make this whole 'whiskey drinking' business way too complicated. laugh
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
I agree!

Splash of branch, neat, or a few cubes. It's all good!
folks tend to make this whole 'whiskey drinking' business way too complicated. laugh

I don't, since with me it's just whiskey and a glass.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15

Yeah, "Live and let live" need not apply 'round here. wink
Posted By: Scott F Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
Whiskey on the rocks does 2 things to whiskey, dilutes and chills. Most will commit this abomination because they don't like the burn or full taste of whiskey. If you don't like the burn and want to cut down the proof or want to open up the whiskey add spring water at room temperature. What you don't want to do is chill your whiskey. Since much of our taste is found in our sense of smell, when you chill a volatile substance as alcohol, you suppress the aromatics and you don't get the aromas. Less aromas, less taste. It's that simple. I want to get all the flavor out of the good whiskey that I buy. If you drink the cheap stuff, chill it, dilute it, add it to Mountain Dew cause it don't matter. Also, besides suppressing the aromatics of whiskey, ice will dilute it an uncontrolled amount. If you drink whiskey on the rocks there is probably one sip you like more than the others. The first couple sips might be too hot, some will seem much better and towards the end it'll be too watered down. Just add water to the taste you like best and enjoy every sip. After all this if you are still committed to drinking your whiskey on the rocks, at least drink the cheaper stuff and leave the good stuff for those of us that really enjoy the taste of whiskey. I used to drink whiskey on the rocks too, I learned the error of my way and started enjoying it more. You can too.

I hve never been a whiskey drinker and only in the last ten years drink any at all. Thanks for the education. I am one who does not enjoy the burn and will try it your way.
I've been preaching the evils of ice and the proper use of a drop of spring water around here for years.

Where have you been Scott? grin
I must admit[disclaimer] that I now use a ever so lite splash of water in my bourbon in place of ice.
It's nice when good Bourbon tastes good, isn't it?

I've been preaching the evils of ice and the proper use of a drop of spring water around here for years.

Where have you been Scott? grin

Ignoring you. grin

OK so I am a slow learner. Besides, since I now live in nearly constant vertigo I drink almost nothing. Just a taste now and then. I am learning to enjoy some things but the outlook for any relief from the vertigo is slim to none I will probably never really drink anything again.

But this [my 1st ever] bottle of Eagle Rare get's NOTHING ADDED!
My vertigo isn't as bad as yours sounds. A dose of meclizine usually settles mine pretty well.
I can be a falling down drunk without spending a dime. grin

Might as well laugh at it as there isn't much choice. Small rooms are hell and showers are down right life and death. Only bright thing is the VA is on the hook for it and they have been doing everything they can. April 1st next audio appointment followed immediately by ENT. If they thing inner rear removal will help I am ready even though now both ears are involved. Just sitting in a chair typing this it is hard to keep from lurching around in the chair trying to function. Right no the last thing I need is a drink. frown
Posted By: byc Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15

If you like ER you might want to stock up on a few. It's getting harder and harder to find. In fact, most anything from Buffalo Trace is in short supply now. It's nice to find special and affordable bourbons on Virginia's state owned shelves.

Someone cleaned out all of the Elmer T. Lee but you can still find Jeffersons, Bowman and ER! grin
Originally Posted by byc

If you like ER you might want to stock up on a few. It's getting harder and harder to find. In fact, most anything from Buffalo Trace is in short supply now. It's nice to find special and affordable bourbons on Virginia's state owned shelves.

Someone cleaned out all of the Elmer T. Lee but you can still find Jeffersons, Bowman and ER! grin

I sure as hell didn't find ER in our Communist Beverage Controlled store! That is why I normally have to settle for KC here in Va. It came from S.C.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/24/15
just in from the local liquor store. Bought more Bulleit Rye and Weller Select.
I don't know Weller Select. Do you mean Special Reserve?
I'm working on a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and Rittenhouse Rye. This bottle of Four Roses is a real dandy. Wish I could get some more from that barrel. Have bottles of Old Weller Antique, Noah's Mill and Russell's Reserve 101, Bulleit and Four Roses Small Batch in queue.
Virginia has tons of Four Roses SB on the shelf for $45. In fact they are always putting it on sale.

I was lucky enough to find a Limited Edition Small Batch Four Roses this year.

Too bad the Japanese bought Four Roses.
I don't know if it is bad. The Japanese know how to make some fine whisky. Some of their single malt whisky beat out Scotland's best in recent competitions.
Not saying they don't know how to make good whiskey. They do! Besides, they also bought all the mashbill recipes!!! eek

It's bad because yet another good US product company changes continents AND it will create even more shortages in the US as Asians are becoming increasingly fond of bourbon and willing to pay MUCH higher prices.

Don't kid yourself. A big part of these shortages are attributed to increased overseas sales.

This is all about supply and demand.

BTW I have several bottles from barrels 42-45 1I Not sure what you are looking for.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/25/15
I don't know Weller Select. Do you mean Special Reserve?

yeah, that. I was drinking a Bud Select when I was typing. laugh
Posted By: mathman Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/25/15
That basic Weller is pretty good for the money.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/25/15
Originally Posted by byc
Not saying they don't know how to make good whiskey. They do! Besides, they also bought all the mashbill recipes!!! eek

It's bad because yet another good US product company changes continents AND it will create even more shortages in the US as Asians are becoming increasingly fond of bourbon and willing to pay MUCH higher prices.

Don't kid yourself. A big part of these shortages are attributed to increased overseas sales.

This is all about supply and demand.

BTW I have several bottles from barrels 42-45 1I Not sure what you are looking for.

Mine says Warehouse DN barrel 29-5Q I hear you about shortages and rising prices. Everything is cyclical though. When demand eventually goes down and some other spirit comes into favor, the quality of bourbon will go up again and prices down. I hope. I hope I live that long.
Posted By: byc Re: Bulliet Rye - 03/25/15
So do I!!

In this case, demand will not go down and the time to produce can hardly be improved upon. Leastwise, not by today's standards.

New spirits will be heavily scrutinized by aficionados and collectors. And most likely pale in comparison. Heavily weighed upon by the haste to bring replacement products to market quicker.

So.........
© 24hourcampfire