Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Whiskey on the rocks does 2 things to whiskey, dilutes and chills. Most will commit this abomination because they don't like the burn or full taste of whiskey. If you don't like the burn and want to cut down the proof or want to open up the whiskey add spring water at room temperature. What you don't want to do is chill your whiskey. Since much of our taste is found in our sense of smell, when you chill a volatile substance as alcohol, you suppress the aromatics and you don't get the aromas. Less aromas, less taste. It's that simple. I want to get all the flavor out of the good whiskey that I buy. If you drink the cheap stuff, chill it, dilute it, add it to Mountain Dew cause it don't matter. Also, besides suppressing the aromatics of whiskey, ice will dilute it an uncontrolled amount. If you drink whiskey on the rocks there is probably one sip you like more than the others. The first couple sips might be too hot, some will seem much better and towards the end it'll be too watered down. Just add water to the taste you like best and enjoy every sip. After all this if you are still committed to drinking your whiskey on the rocks, at least drink the cheaper stuff and leave the good stuff for those of us that really enjoy the taste of whiskey. I used to drink whiskey on the rocks too, I learned the error of my way and started enjoying it more. You can too.

I hve never been a whiskey drinker and only in the last ten years drink any at all. Thanks for the education. I am one who does not enjoy the burn and will try it your way.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've been preaching the evils of ice and the proper use of a drop of spring water around here for years.

Where have you been Scott? grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I must admit[disclaimer] that I now use a ever so lite splash of water in my bourbon in place of ice.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's nice when good Bourbon tastes good, isn't it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I've been preaching the evils of ice and the proper use of a drop of spring water around here for years.

Where have you been Scott? grin

Ignoring you. grin

OK so I am a slow learner. Besides, since I now live in nearly constant vertigo I drink almost nothing. Just a taste now and then. I am learning to enjoy some things but the outlook for any relief from the vertigo is slim to none I will probably never really drink anything again.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

But this [my 1st ever] bottle of Eagle Rare get's NOTHING ADDED!

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My vertigo isn't as bad as yours sounds. A dose of meclizine usually settles mine pretty well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can be a falling down drunk without spending a dime. grin

Might as well laugh at it as there isn't much choice. Small rooms are hell and showers are down right life and death. Only bright thing is the VA is on the hook for it and they have been doing everything they can. April 1st next audio appointment followed immediately by ENT. If they thing inner rear removal will help I am ready even though now both ears are involved. Just sitting in a chair typing this it is hard to keep from lurching around in the chair trying to function. Right no the last thing I need is a drink. frown

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford

If you like ER you might want to stock up on a few. It's getting harder and harder to find. In fact, most anything from Buffalo Trace is in short supply now. It's nice to find special and affordable bourbons on Virginia's state owned shelves.

Someone cleaned out all of the Elmer T. Lee but you can still find Jeffersons, Bowman and ER! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Raeford

If you like ER you might want to stock up on a few. It's getting harder and harder to find. In fact, most anything from Buffalo Trace is in short supply now. It's nice to find special and affordable bourbons on Virginia's state owned shelves.

Someone cleaned out all of the Elmer T. Lee but you can still find Jeffersons, Bowman and ER! grin

I sure as hell didn't find ER in our Communist Beverage Controlled store! That is why I normally have to settle for KC here in Va. It came from S.C.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just in from the local liquor store. Bought more Bulleit Rye and Weller Select.

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know Weller Select. Do you mean Special Reserve?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm working on a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and Rittenhouse Rye. This bottle of Four Roses is a real dandy. Wish I could get some more from that barrel. Have bottles of Old Weller Antique, Noah's Mill and Russell's Reserve 101, Bulleit and Four Roses Small Batch in queue.

Last edited by cooper57m; 03/24/15.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Virginia has tons of Four Roses SB on the shelf for $45. In fact they are always putting it on sale.

I was lucky enough to find a Limited Edition Small Batch Four Roses this year.

Too bad the Japanese bought Four Roses.

Go Nats!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know if it is bad. The Japanese know how to make some fine whisky. Some of their single malt whisky beat out Scotland's best in recent competitions.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not saying they don't know how to make good whiskey. They do! Besides, they also bought all the mashbill recipes!!! eek

It's bad because yet another good US product company changes continents AND it will create even more shortages in the US as Asians are becoming increasingly fond of bourbon and willing to pay MUCH higher prices.

Don't kid yourself. A big part of these shortages are attributed to increased overseas sales.

This is all about supply and demand.

BTW I have several bottles from barrels 42-45 1I Not sure what you are looking for.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know Weller Select. Do you mean Special Reserve?

yeah, that. I was drinking a Bud Select when I was typing. laugh

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That basic Weller is pretty good for the money.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by byc
Not saying they don't know how to make good whiskey. They do! Besides, they also bought all the mashbill recipes!!! eek

It's bad because yet another good US product company changes continents AND it will create even more shortages in the US as Asians are becoming increasingly fond of bourbon and willing to pay MUCH higher prices.

Don't kid yourself. A big part of these shortages are attributed to increased overseas sales.

This is all about supply and demand.

BTW I have several bottles from barrels 42-45 1I Not sure what you are looking for.

Mine says Warehouse DN barrel 29-5Q I hear you about shortages and rising prices. Everything is cyclical though. When demand eventually goes down and some other spirit comes into favor, the quality of bourbon will go up again and prices down. I hope. I hope I live that long.

Last edited by cooper57m; 03/24/15.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So do I!!

In this case, demand will not go down and the time to produce can hardly be improved upon. Leastwise, not by today's standards.

New spirits will be heavily scrutinized by aficionados and collectors. And most likely pale in comparison. Heavily weighed upon by the haste to bring replacement products to market quicker.

So.........

Go Nats!!!!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 871 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,109
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.