Home
Posted By: hatari F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
The F-35 Can't Beat The Plane It's Replacing In A Dogfight: Report

The F-35 Can't Beat The Plane It's Replacing In A Dogfight: Report

We’ve heard of significant shortcomings before with the fighter jet that’s supposed to be America’s future, but this is just as bad as it gets. The F-35 performed so dismally in a dogfight, that the test pilot remarked that the it had pretty much no place fighting other aircraft within visual range.

And it’s even worse than a mere maneuverability issue. At one point, the pilot’s helmet was so big he couldn’t even turn his head inside the cockpit.

That’s according to a scathing report obtained by our friends over at War Is Boring that details the results of visual range air-to-air engagement tests between an F-35A and an F-16C. The F-35, which the US Air Force, Navy, and Marines are expected to rely upon, in addition to the air arms of militaries across the world for at least the next few decades, was supposed to be better than its F-16 predecessor in all respects.

The F-35’s ability to compete against other fighter aircraft in a close-in dogfight, even against the decades old designs it looks to replace, has always been a contentious issue. Long ago, the F-35’s maneuverability was planned to far exceed that of fourth generation fighters. Over time, those claims eroded to the point where the troubled stealth jet is described as being “about as maneuverable as an F-16.”

The fact that the F-35 can carry its weapons and fuel internally was of course the major deciding factor in being able to make such a claim.

Keep in mind, all of this is anecdotal, but testing reports over almost the last decade have supported the fact that the F-35 was not nearly as nimble as many would like it to be. Still, all claims regarding its performance against other fighters in a dogfight remained largely academic, with only bits of data to compare in a vacuum.

Which is why the candid report described in the War Is Boring article finally gives us a good first hand account as to how capable – or incapable as it may be – the F-35 is in the within-visual-range fight.

The test pilot flying the F-35 makes it very clear that the new jet, even in its ideal configuration without any external stores, was no match against a Block-40 F-16C in a less-than-ideal configuration with a pair of under-wing fuel tanks:

Even with the limited F-16 target configuration, the F-35A remained at a distinct energy disadvantage for every engagement.
In dogfighting, energy is everything, and if your enemy has more kinetic and potential energy for maneuvers than you do, then you’re toast.

The report even goes into what is akin to a fairly desperate move usually only used in one-on-one air combat maneuvers, known as a rudder reversal, that the F-35 is apparently decent at performing at slow speeds. The fact that this was even detailed in the report as a useful tactic is telling. In reality, using such maneuvers means you are probably going to die if any other bad guys are in the area as it rapidly depletes the aircraft’s energy state, leaving it vulnerable to attack.

Another area that the test pilot highlights on is the F-35’s abysmal rearward visibility. David Axe from War Is Boring writes:

And to add insult to injury, the JSF flier discovered he couldn’t even comfortably move his head inside the radar-evading jet’s cramped cockpit. “The helmet was too large for the space inside the canopy to adequately see behind the aircraft.” That allowed the F-16 to sneak up on him.
The report goes on to make other telling remarks about the F-35’s air combat maneuvering performance. It should be noted that the aircraft’s flight software can probably still be tweaked to offer a little wider envelope for pilots to traverse during a hard turning dogfight, but seeing as this test occurred this year (almost a decade after the first F-35 flew), the amount of extra agility that can be squeezed out of the F-35 is most likely marginal at this point.

All of this also reminds us of the fact that we cannot believe the information coming from the program itself, which is troubling. Only as the aircraft continues to enter the fleet (which is a whole other ridiculous story) will we begin to hear more honest reviews of its performance, as in the past we have had to rely on unclassified congressional watch dog reports and other unbiased sources to identify trends and key data points.

Major Obvious: F-35 Pilot Says A-10 Will Always Be Better At Air Support
F-35 pilot Major John Wilson said the obvious in an interview with Danish aviation reporters; the…
Read more
Eisenhower, and others to some degree, did warn us gravely to beware of the military-industrial complex, I supposed of which the F-35 is the poster child.

Arthur C Clarke Warned Us About The F-35 And Its Damning Costs
The fantastic and haunting short story "Superiority," written by the science fiction…
Read more
The fact that the F-35 is maybe not really a good fighter at all is reminiscent of the question that we’ve been asking for years — if you don’t really need competitive maneuverability, than why do we need a fighter at all?
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15

How, I wonder, would an F35 fare against the best the Chinese have. Pilot-skill notwithstanding.
Posted By: hatari Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
I'm afraid to find out......
Posted By: 4ager Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by tjm10025

How, I wonder, would an F35 fare against the best the Chinese have. Pilot-skill notwithstanding.

RAND Corp and others have already run simulations. The F35s are blown out of the sky in minutes; they don't stand a chance against even two generation old MiGs.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
When the decision makers are to blind to see the obvious shortcomings of our weapons development but proceed anyway, we are truly lost.

We have managed to abdicate almost every advantage we have ever had.

MM
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
I wouldn't be surprised if our idiot government traded the plans for the best fighter plane designs to China for the plans to what became the F-35.

Its just the sort of thing our ignorant politicians would do.
Posted By: 4ager Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
Clinton gave them the F35 plans in the '90s.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by 4ager

Oh goody. The Chinese have had 20 years to develop a counter to anything the F-35 can do.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Oh goody. The Chinese have had 20 years to develop a counter to anything the F-35 can do.

The Chinese are supposedly building a copy of the F35. If the F35 is as bad as they say I hope the Chinese build a lot of copies.
China's FC-31
The FC-31 is designed to look like a stealth fighter aircraft in the class of the American Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
Posted By: SU35 Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/29/15
senhower, and others to some degree, did warn us gravely to beware of the military-industrial complex, I supposed of which the F-35 is the poster child.

And that is the story right there. Politicians pork barreling money for their States.

Posted By: Crow hunter Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Let's see, we're going to get all bent out of shape over an article from an anti-military website called "war is boring" over their supposedly expert analysis of the BFM capabilities of the F-35 vs. the F-16. Isn't that a bit like picking the best cut of steak based upon a review in a vegan magazine?

I've been flying airplanes for a living since 1992, first in the Marine Corps then in the civilian airline world. One thing I've figured out is that the media never gets anything correct about aviation. 99% of all aviation related articles you see in the mainstream media are laughable in the number of inaccuracies they contain. Throw in an article from an anti-military website with an obvious ax to grind and I wouldn't believe it if they told me the pope was catholic.

Here's an example of their expert reporting. Read it and you'll see what their agenda really is. They refer to their website/blog as "social journalism" I think we all know what that means.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/fo...-much-better-for-gay-troops-b478bfd89a3e
Posted By: Seafire Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
either way Crow Hunter....

our pilots don't need to be put in harms way, in an overpriced POS...

and the taxpayers don't need to be wasting money on said POS...

they've canned the F 14s, the A6s are worn out and gone.. the military is putting all of its eggs in one basket....

what could go wrong...
I know it's hard to believe but technology marches on. The F-14 and A-6 were obsolete, there's a reason they're gone. Everyone wants to crow about the good ol' days but the truth is they weren't so good. A single piloted F-16C with a loadout of GBU-32 JDAMS is a so much more capable strike aircraft than the A-6 ever dreamed of being it's not even funny, and the same aircraft is light years ahead of any F-14 variant in air-to-air capabilities, both BVR (beyond visual range) and in close BFM.

I've been out of the cockpit of the F/A-18 for 17 years so I'm not the most current. I know very little about the F-35 beyond what I've read in the media and that's so full of slanted BS like the posted article that I put no faith in any of it. I've fought enough F-16's to know they're a great airplane, I've also fought a few F-14's and know that their days are long past, the fourth generation fighters are a huge leap forward in capabilities. Sooner or later all aircraft are rendered obsolete, you can't keep retrofitting them with new avionics forever. Eventually it gets to the point where you have to invest in new aircraft. Capabilities change and missions change, theater commanders, the JFACC, have certain needs that they build their plans around and if you don't bring those capabilities to the theater then they don't want you around. I saw that in Bosnia in the mid-90's, an aircraft carrier would pull into the Adriatic & the F-14's were essentially useless to the JFACC because they couldn't self designate for the laser guided bombs like the ROE required. They were glad to see the F/A-18's, but the Tomcats were pretty useless because they didn't bring any capabilities to the fight that the JFACC needed. I shake my head at all the A-10 crap posted on this forum. There are reasons the Air Force wants to get rid of the A-10's but for political reasons Congress keeps insisting they be kept around. That's just what we need, a bunch of political hacks telling the warfighters what they need. Keeping Congress out of the military's business ought to be the goal, not demanding that they push an obsolete weapons system on the commanders that say they don't need and don't want any more.

Any way, I'm gonna shut up now so carry on. Let the arm chair quarterbacking roll on.
Posted By: Seafire Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Crow Hunter...

Always great to get the perspective on someone who has been there...

Thanks for the thoughtful ( and thought provoking) post!
Posted By: Pugs Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
A single piloted F-16C with a loadout of GBU-32 JDAMS is a so much more capable strike aircraft than the A-6 ever dreamed of being it's not even funny, and the same aircraft is light years ahead of any F-14 variant in air-to-air capabilities, both BVR (beyond visual range) and in close BFM.

The beauty of this generation of weapons is they plug into aircraft with little more than software changes. An A-6 with a bunch of JDAMS would be a hell of a weapon in the current evolution. More bombs, more time station and two people in the cockpit to handle the CAS role. Yes, the A-6 was old but it's weakest point were the wings and they had just gone through rewinging shortly before. No, it wasn't stealthy in pretty much any way and I am not arguing that it should be in the fleet today but it wasn't time for it to go and we had to suffer through the very less capable F/A-18 A-C until they got the Hornet E/F/G to the fleet, which are very capable aircraft and a far better value then the F-35.

I've been out of the cockpit of the F/A-18 for 17 years so I'm not the most current. I know very little about the F-35 beyond what I've read in the media and that's so full of slanted BS like the posted article that I put no faith in any of it. I've fought enough F-16's to know they're a great airplane, I've also fought a few F-14's and know that their days are long past, the fourth generation fighters are a huge leap forward in capabilities. Sooner or later all aircraft are rendered obsolete, you can't keep retrofitting them with new avionics forever. Eventually it gets to the point where you have to invest in new aircraft. Capabilities change and missions change, theater commanders, the JFACC, have certain needs that they build their plans around and if you don't bring those capabilities to the theater then they don't want you around. I saw that in Bosnia in the mid-90's, an aircraft carrier would pull into the Adriatic & the F-14's were essentially useless to the JFACC because they couldn't self designate for the laser guided bombs like the ROE required. They were glad to see the F/A-18's, but the Tomcats were pretty useless because they didn't bring any capabilities to the fight that the JFACC needed. I shake my head at all the A-10 crap posted on this forum. There are reasons the Air Force wants to get rid of the A-10's but for political reasons Congress keeps insisting they be kept around. That's just what we need, a bunch of political hacks telling the warfighters what they need. Keeping Congress out of the military's business ought to be the goal, not demanding that they push an obsolete weapons system on the commanders that say they don't need and don't want any more.

I've been out of the cockpit 10 years now but still pretty involved in the business. The F-35 is a victim of a flawed DoD acquisition system, much like the F-22 and V-22, that allows funding to ebb and flow at the whim of Congress and their special interests and the one year budget cycle. For better or worse those aircraft would have been in the fleet 10 years ago if they were not subject to those two things. The F-14, like the EA-6B I flew, had it's strengths and weaknesses but in the end it came down to cost to maintain and develop new capabilities vs the ability to cut an entire line of support. The Navy side decided to go with the Super Hornet and it was a good choice but they way they got there left us with a gap of 10 years in capability.

As you point out, the A-10 is another case of an end of life aircraft where some drastic measures are going to need to be taken to get a few more years out of a very small number of aircraft. No, the F-35 won't be the CAS aircraft that there A-10 was. Heck, it certainly won't be the airplane the F-15E is in any arena, but that does not mean that it needs to be around. Frankly, like the Hornet F, the USAF would likely be far better served by buying more F-15E's, a superb fighter and attack aircraft.

www.warisboring is just a publishing medium and they actually publish some good stuff occasionally but it is author dependent. To write off the whole website isn't a smart move.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Sorry but not drinking the F-35 koolaid especially in ground attack mode. LM boasts its ability to handle all new and old load outs but never seems to mention their $ 95 million price tag gives up the majority of its stealth sig all decked out in CAS mode which IMO renders it high priced cannon fodder like anything else in that down and dirty world.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Pugs is spot on. I've ranted enough about the POS F-35 so I wont do it again here, but suffice to say, the F-14 and A-6 might have been long in the tooth as originally configured, but the F-14D and planned follow-on the Tomcat 2000 would be right in there with today's new age stuff (with the exception of the F-22) and the A-6F the same. The F-35 is simply a perfect case of government ineptitude and the tail (funding) wagging the dog.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
There are reasons the Air Force wants to get rid of the A-10's but for political reasons Congress keeps insisting they be kept around. That's just what we need, a bunch of political hacks telling the warfighters what they need.

Michigan demon-cr@p congress critters have lobbied hard to keep the A-10's flying due to the existence of Selfridge ANG base. Selfridge has A-10's, F-16's and KC-135's based there. With the phase out of the KC-135 looming in the near future and the loss of the A-10 they're looking at the posibilty of closing the base and the financial hit the local community will take.

Always appreciate your viewpoint along with Pugs & Jorge's along with a few a few others who have BTDT!
Posted By: KSMITH Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
I had the privilege to be the first one to launch the VTOL model off a Navy ship.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Sorry but not drinking the F-35 koolaid especially in ground attack mode.

I have no F-35 koolaid to peddle, I already said I know very little about it. The last briefing I had on it was in 1997 when it was still called the JSF (joint strike fighter) program and they hadn't decided between the boeing version and the lockheed version.

I'm just pointing out that an article written by a bunch of left wing hacks on an anti-military blog is likely not a reliable source upon which to hang your hat. There may or may not be any credible science behind global warming but I know for sure that when Al Gore starts pitching it I automatically dismiss it as BS because there's a political agenda behind it. It's the same with this, the source isn't credible so the story is suspect.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
There's a nugget of truth in ALL the opinions voiced above. The F-35 may prove to be the biggest, most expensive fiasco ever. It also may have been a pretty damn good airplane if it had not been nobbled by nickel and dime development by Congress. Because of its decades of slow development, it may be obsolete BEFORE it becomes operational.

And it is very true that the planes it is designed to replace genuinely do need to be replaced.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Sorry but not drinking the F-35 koolaid especially in ground attack mode.

I have no F-35 koolaid to peddle, I already said I know very little about it. The last briefing I had on it was in 1997 when it was still called the JSF (joint strike fighter) program and they hadn't decided between the boeing version and the lockheed version.

I'm just pointing out that an article written by a bunch of left wing hacks on an anti-military blog is likely not a reliable source upon which to hang your hat. There may or may not be any credible science behind global warming but I know for sure that when Al Gore starts pitching it I automatically dismiss it as BS because there's a political agenda behind it. It's the same with this, the source isn't credible so the story is suspect.

Certainly no disrespect intended just how an old dinosaur like me that used to be in the CAS business see's it. I would add since living so close to an AF community comprised of active and retired individuals I can honestly say I've yet to get any positive feedback. Most say the treasure expended on this program would have been better suited for F-15E procurement or variant upgrades and extending the life of A-10's for CAS since both are battle proven air frames.

We're slowly hanging ourselves with costly technology which translates to reduced overall tail numbers. One day this may prove to be fatal as high tech can easily be overwhelmed by shear numbers in most case scenarios.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
That is my fear as well. We are making the same mistake the Germans made - quality is great but as Stalin noted, quantity has a quality all its own.

We won't be fighting farmers and goat herders forever. Some day we will face a technologically capable and well equipped foe. Perhaps not as "well equipped" one on one as we are, but with the ability to field many times more planes/tanks/ships/whatever than we can and more importantly replace what they lose faster than we can destroy it. In the end that's how we beat the Germans and the Japanese, and particularly how the Russians beat the Germans.

Of course, nuclear weapons add a trump card that was not available in WWII (up until the last few days). That threat tends to keep wars on a smaller local scale and fought by surrogates instead of the big boys going mano a mano.

If it looked like we were going to be seriously overwhelmed and defeated by conventional forces the nukes would start to fly, then we're all dead anyway.
Posted By: RickyD Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by tjm10025

RAND Corp and others have already run simulations. The F35s are blown out of the sky in minutes; they don't stand a chance against even two generation old MiGs.
Fits right in with zero's agenda. Cross another one off the list.
Posted By: RickyD Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I wouldn't be surprised if our idiot government traded the plans for the best fighter plane designs to China for the plans to what became the F-35.

Its just the sort of thing our ignorant politicians would do.
for money. That's the important thing.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
So the question I have is, how realistic is it that we will find F-35's in a visual range dogfight? I thought the whole idea of stealth technology was to avoid visual range dogfight.

Now I'm no pilot, but I read a report where a US Pilot flew a Mig 29 and he said a good pilot in the Mig 29 would probably chew up a F-16 mainly because the gun on the Mig is slaved to the radar and you can actually lock up the gun. Again, just something I read and I don't know how solid that is. For visual range engagements, the Russian aircraft are quite formidibile, but I still think it's going to come down to the quality of the pilot...and the big IF of ever getting into a visual range dogfight. I don't care how good an aircraft is, I wouldn't want to get into a visual range fight with an F-16 against a US pilot. It's probably the ultimate dogfighting aircraft.

And I would think that the F-35's radar would allow someone to avoid detection from 4th generation fighters until the point to where they can choose when and where to engage in a visual range fight.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Oh and shall we not forget, we still have 186 F-22's, which will chew up ANYTHING.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
In a real war after a few days we will revert back to F18 or breakout the highly classified Saucer craft.
GG, are you old enough to remember when all the "smart" aerial tacticians boldly said there'd never again be a need for a gun on a fighter? That "wisdom" evaporated when our all-missile F-4s kept getting on the tails of Migs over Hanoi - with no way to shoot them down because they were inside missile armup range. Or the missiles just flat failed, which is where dependence on technology can get you.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So the question I have is, how realistic is it that we will find F-35's in a visual range dogfight? I thought the whole idea of stealth technology was to avoid visual range dogfight.

Now I'm no pilot, but I read a report where a US Pilot flew a Mig 29 and he said a good pilot in the Mig 29 would probably chew up a F-16 mainly because the gun on the Mig is slaved to the radar and you can actually lock up the gun. Again, just something I read and I don't know how solid that is. For visual range engagements, the Russian aircraft are quite formidibile, but I still think it's going to come down to the quality of the pilot...and the big IF of ever getting into a visual range dogfight. I don't care how good an aircraft is, I wouldn't want to get into a visual range fight with an F-16 against a US pilot. It's probably the ultimate dogfighting aircraft.

And I would think that the F-35's radar would allow someone to avoid detection from 4th generation fighters until the point to where they can choose when and where to engage in a visual range fight.

I have extensive experience with the 29, 31 and SU-37's capabilities, as well as the old Soviet IADS concept and their version of AWACS. It all SUCKED. The first two were and are POS. The Flanker was pretty good, but an Eagle would eat it for lunch and I'm not even talking about pilot quality either. As to your opening statement regarding dogfights, well, it buttresses your statement that you're not a pilot... Lastly, that quote about "slaving the gun to the radar" try and visualize how one could POSSIBLY "slave" a gun that is fixed to the fuselage. Think about it....
Oh and shall we not forget, we still have 186 F-22's, which will chew up ANYTHING.

WORD. The performance is nothing short of magical..
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
GG, are you old enough to remember when all the "smart" aerial tacticians boldly said there'd never again be a need for a gun on a fighter? That "wisdom" evaporated when our all-missile F-4s kept getting on the tails of Migs over Hanoi - with no way to shoot them down because they were inside missile armup range. Or the missiles just flat failed, which is where dependence on technology can get you.

All true Rocky but as you recall the third critical factor was the politicians also hung our guys with an ROE that kept them from using radar missiles (as crude and unreliable as they were) in a BVR fight.

I spent some time working foreign material exploitation and had the luck to work against some pretty advanced surface and aircraft potential foes over the years on some dets out in the desert. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The Mig-29 was a strong opponent once you went to the merge. You learned not to do that. It's not all training but it's a huge part of how good our guys are.

I was out at NAS Whidbey last weekend for the EA-6B farewell. In my day an Aviator or Naval Flight Officer walked away from their first tour with 1000 hours in type and 200 (usually closer to 250) traps minimum. These days it's 700 and maybe 125. That lack of time in the air flying in dynamic environments (not airways nav) is what will kill our guys on day one.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Lastly, that quote about "slaving the gun to the radar" try and visualize how one could POSSIBLY "slave" a gun that is fixed to the fuselage. Think about it....

Correct. The HMS in the Fulcrum/Flanker slaved the IR seeker. It made it a damn near unbeatable combo at the merge. Prior to the merge? The F/A-18 had a 98% kill ratio, at least against the former East German Mig-29's. I'm sure PRM has a lot more info. What we can share as far as I know is about what I have shared.
That is correct about the HMS and the Atoll. Can't share much more, sorry.
We went to Laage, Germany in the mid-90's and flew against the Mig-29's there. The helmet mounted sight in combination with the AA-11 Archer is a formidable combination. It's not all the helmet mounted sight, the AA-11 was a much better IR missile than our Aim-9M sidewinders we were using at the time. The AA-11 had a much higher off boresight capability than we had so they could slave the seeker head to us using the helmet mounted sight long before we could get our sidewinders on them. The AA-11 also had a much shorter arming distance after it came off the rail than we did so their minimum engagement distance was closer. The Mig had a very good thrust to weight ratio also, it's turning performance was very similar to fighting an F-16 in that regard. In a BFM engagement the Mig had an advantage against us mainly because of the AA-11 missile.

Everything else about it was junk. The workmanship on the airplane looks like the russians were drunk when they built it. The germans had a hard time keeping them running. The avionics were probably equivalent to what we had in the 70's, the radar was junk and our jammer was very effective against it. A fighter is just a moving platform for a radar, 95% of the ability of the aircraft is housed in the radar. People like to talk ACM/BFM because they watched Top Gun too many times and it's sexy, but the reality is you radar work is where you make your money. A Mig-29 should never make it to the merge against a section of F/A-18's, F-15's, or F-16's, that's the reality.

The main reason some non-hornet guys bag on the hornet is because we don't carry much gas. The navy lives and dies around it's deck cycle time on the carrier and the hornets messed that up because they couldn't stay airborne as long as the others. Things had to be rearranged when the hornet came along and it pissed off all the old school guys. The Mig is twice as bad on gas as the hornet ever was, they carry very little gas. Part of that is by design, the Mig-29 was conceived as a point defense fighter and at the height of the cold war they didn't want their pilots defecting with them. One fix for that was to not give them enough gas get to the west.
We went to Laage, Germany in the mid-90's and flew against the Mig-29's there. The helmet mounted sight in combination with the AA-11 Archer is a formidable combination. It's not all the helmet mounted sight, the AA-11 was a much better IR missile than our Aim-9M sidewinders we were using at the time. The AA-11 had a much higher off boresight capability than we had so they could slave the seeker head to us using the helmet mounted sight long before we could get our sidewinders on them. The AA-11 also had a much shorter arming distance after it came off the rail than we did so their minimum engagement distance was closer. The Mig had a very good thrust to weight ratio also, it's turning performance was very similar to fighting an F-16 in that regard. In a BFM engagement the Mig had an advantage against us mainly because of the AA-11 missile.

Everything else about it was junk. The workmanship on the airplane looks like the russians were drunk when they built it. The germans had a hard time keeping them running. The avionics were probably equivalent to what we had in the 70's, the radar was junk and our jammer was very effective against it. A fighter is just a moving platform for a radar, 95% of the ability of the aircraft is housed in the radar. People like to talk ACM/BFM because they watched Top Gun too many times and it's sexy, but the reality is you radar work is where you make your money. A Mig-29 should never make it to the merge against a section of F/A-18's, F-15's, or F-16's, that's the reality.

The main reason some non-hornet guys bag on the hornet is because we don't carry much gas. The navy lives and dies around it's deck cycle time on the carrier and the hornets messed that up because they couldn't stay airborne as long as the others. Things had to be rearranged when the hornet came along and it pissed off all the old school guys. The Mig is twice as bad on gas as the hornet ever was, they carry very little gas. Part of that is by design, the Mig-29 was conceived as a point defense fighter and at the height of the cold war they didn't want their pilots defecting with them. One fix for that was to not give them enough gas get to the west.

Good summary. I did the same set with us in VAQ-209 and VMFA-321 and found the same things (and the beer and sausages rock over there. The evenings with the Germans crews were epic grin)
I agree, Pugs the Rules of Engagement can handcuff even the most effective system. If ya ain't allowed to shoot the fookers, ya cain't kill 'em.

It was true in my war, it was true in your war, it's true in the current war, and damned if it won't be true in the next one.
I agree, Pugs the Rules of Engagement can handcuff even the most effective system. If ya ain't allowed to shoot the fookers, ya cain't kill 'em.

It was true in my war, it was true in your war, it's true in the current war, and damned if it won't be true in the next one.

Whole lotta truth there! grin Reminds me. I need to mail you a book as soon as it works it's way back to me.
Posted By: jimone Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
It ain't the ones with people in 'em I would worry about.
Posted By: Pete E Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
The one thing that worries me about the F35 and the F22 is their heavy reliance on stealth. The enemy only has to make a couple of technological break throughs and a major aspect of these aircraft will be rendered obsolete very quickly..

I suspect that is why the F117 was with drawn from service rather abruptly..
Originally Posted by jimone
It ain't the ones with people in 'em I would worry about.

Those ones will be used on the civilians.
Originally Posted by Pugs
We went to Laage, Germany in the mid-90's and flew against the Mig-29's there. The helmet mounted sight in combination with the AA-11 Archer is a formidable combination. It's not all the helmet mounted sight, the AA-11 was a much better IR missile than our Aim-9M sidewinders we were using at the time. The AA-11 had a much higher off boresight capability than we had so they could slave the seeker head to us using the helmet mounted sight long before we could get our sidewinders on them. The AA-11 also had a much shorter arming distance after it came off the rail than we did so their minimum engagement distance was closer. The Mig had a very good thrust to weight ratio also, it's turning performance was very similar to fighting an F-16 in that regard. In a BFM

engagement the Mig had an advantage against us mainly because of the AA-11 missile.

Good summary. I did the same set with us in VAQ-209 and VMFA-321 and found the same things (and the beer and sausages rock over there. The evenings with the Germans crews were epic grin)

Most excellent summation indeed. BUt.. Definitively count me as one of those old hornet Haters and not just the deck cycle issue because of the gas. We also had to build an entirely new air defense of the Strike Group Architecture because of the Hornet's short legs, a radar that was at the time very susceptible to 60s era SPS 141 repeater jammer used by the Soviets, no IFF (NCTR SUCKED) and until AAMRAM not so good BVR. With the Tomcat (which BTW in the A+, B & D models could easily handle just about anybody out there) We could extend the "Chainsaw" Air Defense way past 600 miles, way past. Nope and I'm not even a fighter guy, but the way ahead should have been the Tomcat 2000. Lastly, when the Tomcat boys finally sucked it up and became a bomber, it proved to be a formidable platform, if for no other reason than an extra pair of eyes at the merge, and longer loiter times in the CAS role in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The Hornet and their follow ons have hamstrung carrier aviation but I'll take it over that POS 35 anyday.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by Pugs
We went to Laage, Germany in the mid-90's and flew against the Mig-29's there. The helmet mounted sight in combination with the AA-11 Archer is a formidable combination. It's not all the helmet mounted sight, the AA-11 was a much better IR missile than our Aim-9M sidewinders we were using at the time. The AA-11 had a much higher off boresight capability than we had so they could slave the seeker head to us using the helmet mounted sight long before we could get our sidewinders on them. The AA-11 also had a much shorter arming distance after it came off the rail than we did so their minimum engagement distance was closer. The Mig had a very good thrust to weight ratio also, it's turning performance was very similar to fighting an F-16 in that regard. In a BFM

engagement the Mig had an advantage against us mainly because of the AA-11 missile.

Most excellent summation indeed. BUt.. Definitively count me as one of those old hornet Haters and not just the deck cycle issue because of the gas. We also had to build an entirely new air defense of the Strike Group Architecture because of the Hornet's short legs, a radar that was at the time very susceptible to 60s era SPS 141 repeater jammer used by the Soviets, no IFF (NCTR SUCKED) and until AAMRAM not so good BVR. With the Tomcat (which BTW in the A+, B & D models could easily handle just about anybody out there) We could extend the "Chainsaw" Air Defense way past 600 miles, way past. Nope and I'm not even a fighter guy, but the way ahead should have been the Tomcat 2000. Lastly, when the Tomcat boys finally sucked it up and became a bomber, it proved to be a formidable platform, if for no other reason than an extra pair of eyes at the merge, and longer loiter times in the CAS role in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The Hornet and their follow ons have hamstrung carrier aviation but I'll take it over that POS 35 anyday.

I was around flying the "A" version of the Tomcat when "Chainsaw" first came about and it was amazing how well it worked 'cause if you managed your fuel properly the legs got way out there.

In both the Phantom and the Tomcat, the airwings I was in (CVW 5 and CVW 1) worked on a 1+ 45 cycle. The Hornet quickly changed that but as mentioned above Russian fighters for decades have been designed for point defense with short legs/short engagement times so the Hornet would still be very effective DEPENDING on ROE.

The best ROE I ever dealt with was in El Dorado Canyon (Libya). That night any target Northbound above 1000' IIRC was "hostile" and "weapons free", however none of the Migs in alert status launched. Rats!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
IIRC the Libyans quickly learned what was going to happen to them, when they launched...
Posted By: JoeBob Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 06/30/15
As I understand it, the F-22 is the best dogfighter in the world and is also stealthy. The F-35 is a stealthy aircraft that also happens to be a pig. If stealth is compromised, the F-22 is still a fine, probably the best fighter. The F-35 is a pig. If because of numbers, surprise, malfunctions, or acts of God, the F-22 gets in a merge, it is still going to be the best aircraft and will likely prevail unless something really bad happens. If the same happens with the F-35, that pilot is going to be in trouble if he is fighting a capable opponent.

The F-35 seems to be an aircraft that is completely dependent on stealth and BVR missiles to be effective. Without those, it is a pig. If we fight China or someone like that, numbers alone mean that it is going to have to do some dogfighting.

Posted By: GunGeek Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Yes I remember that, but this isn't 1965. In 1965 the Sparrow hadn't really been tested in war, and the Sidewinder while the best missile in the air, was still very new and had a lot of room to grow.

Today we have the AMRAAM that has been used in combat (a little), and has never missed. Tests have show it to be nearly 100%, pilots call it the slammer. And the latest all aspect sidewinders are damn near foolproof as well.

Now I'm not saying take guns out of aircraft, that's just dumb. I'm just saying if ever there was a time where a gun means much less, its now.
Originally Posted by Pete E
The one thing that worries me about the F35 and the F22 is their heavy reliance on stealth. The enemy only has to make a couple of technological break throughs and a major aspect of these aircraft will be rendered obsolete very quickly..

I suspect that is why the F117 was with drawn from service rather abruptly..
It's rumored that the Russian S-400 missile system is a legitimate threat. Russia realized long ago they're never going to match our aircraft, so they've decided to make the best AA missile systems in the world; and they did.

As for stealth reliance. With the F-22 clearly stealth isn't a crutch, it can hold its own old school just fine. The F-35 isn't as capable, but it's darned near 1/4 the cost of the F-22 also. Sure it's not the greatest aircraft, but what's the alternative? Build more 4th generation aircraft? Well there's some logic to that, but you still have to have 5th generation aircraft as well. You have to move with technology or you'll get caught with your pants down. It has to have stealth technology, that's just the world today.

I'm not nearly as worried about the F-35 as others, because I know our military will make it work; because they have no choice. The F4 was a train wreck at first and we turned it into the pre-eminent fighter in the world, and I'm 100% confident that's what we'll do with the F-35.

If only the Marines would dump the jump jet concept, we could have saved billions.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Tell that to the Israelis and their kill ratio w guns. I think EVERY Fighter Pilot here (and I'm not one of them), will eschew your views on the gun.
Posted By: 4ager Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Yes I remember that, but this isn't 1965. In 1965 the Sparrow hadn't really been tested in war, and the Sidewinder while the best missile in the air, was still very new and had a lot of room to grow.

Today we have the AMRAAM that has been used in combat (a little), and has never missed. Tests have show it to be nearly 100%, pilots call it the slammer. And the latest all aspect sidewinders are damn near foolproof as well.

Now I'm not saying take guns out of aircraft, that's just dumb. I'm just saying if ever there was a time where a gun means much less, its now.

As a former grunt, your concept on aircraft guns is woefully inaccurate. I can't speak for aerial combat, but from a ground pounders perspective, the airframe/aircraft responding doesn't matter a whit - whether it can deliver good on target and on the ground (something AMRAAMs and their ilk can't do) matters a GREAT deal.

Tomcat was the greatest fleet defense weapon ever created...and the Russians knew it!!
In my view and especially in the latter configurations, the BEST ever, and one HUGE component was the fact it carried an extra pair of eyes, which in aerial combat, is a tremendous force multiplier.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
My analogy of the gunless fighters of 1965 wasn't so much about guns, but GunGeek's comment about all future combat being Beyond Visual Range.

That might be the idea and the ideal, but EVERYTHING in combat turns to ohsheet no matter what you planned. If the F-35 is indeed a pig in a dogfight, sooner or later, an F-35 jock is going to find himself trying to turn with an adversary - and becoming roast pork.
If in the next 40 years stealth is completely nullified, we could have some problems. And it's not as if the F-35 is a complete dog, remember it was up against an F-16...what beats an F-16 in a VR knife fight?
15, 14D and of course F-22...
Posted By: 4ager Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-f-35s-air-to-air-capability-controversy-05089/

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/fd...e-worlds-worst-new-warplane-5c95d45f86a5
This:
"The clear implication of the RAND study is that the F-35 is very likely to wind up facing many more “up close and personal” opponents than its proponents suggest, while dealing with effective beyond-visual-range infrared-guided missiles as an added complication. Unlike the F-22, the F-35 is described as “double inferior” to modern SU-30 family fighters within visual range combat; thrust and wing loading issues are summed up in one RAND background slide as “can’t [out]turn, can’t [out]climb, can’t [out]run.”

And it sounds like the "Chick" standards were applied to make it look better:
"The second issue that deserves especial mention is that key aerial combat standards have been lowered, following initial tests. All F-35s will sit at 5.0g or less sustained turn performance – a figure that places them in a class with 1960s era planes like the F-5 or F-4 Phantom, instead of modern designs like the F-16. Acceleration is also poorer, compared to a reference F-16C Block 50 with AMRAAM missiles on its wingtips zooming from Mach 0.8 to Mach 1.2.

The USAF’s F-35A dropped the most, from an expected 5.3g – 4.6g in sustained turns. Acceleration will take 8 seconds longer than the F-16."

I must be psychic... or a woman; I foretold this HERE years ago. The plane is a pig and like Rocky says "waiting to be roasted"...
Posted By: JoeBob Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
In those two links you posted, in one of them the guy raves about the sensors of the F-35. In nearly every positive review I've seen, that seems to be the case. Everyone talks about how much of a game changer all the sensors are. They often say that they can shoot down other planes before anyone even knows where they are and well before they would be vulnerable themselves. In short, they say that dogfighting doesn't matter and that the real work is done BVR.

Of course, that begs the question. If all that BVR stuff and sensor stuff is truly the cat's meow, why not simply build a stealthy aircraft the size of a jetliner and load it up with a hundred AMRAMs or whatever? Obviously, maneuvering does matter some because instead of doing what I said above, we've built a fighter sized aircraft. Except we've built one that is such a dog that if maneuvering ever does become really important, it is likely to be at a disadvantage. It didn't have to be that way. The F-22 is superb in all aspects.
Allow me to stick one more fork in this roasted pig. (I thought of jorge, you magnificent Cuban, when I wrote that...)

I sure as hell would not want to be wearing that huge, heavy, cumbersome helmet if I had to Lift Handles and Squeeze Trigger. That thing is gonna kill people.
Interesting after action information that didn't seem to make it into the original report.

The unnamed pilot also wrote that “the helmet was too large for the space inside the canopy to adequately see behind the aircraft.”
Okay, that's an honest flaw!

Pentagon officials said that the particular plane the test pilot flew did not have its special stealth coating, a Harry Potter-like “invisible cloak” that renders it invisible to radar. It was also lacking the sensors that allow “the F-35 to see its enemy long before it knows the F-35 is in the area,” the officials said.
That's kind of a big deal, that's a good 80% of the weapon's system

Finally, it didn’t have “the weapons or software that allow the F-35 pilot to turn, aim a weapon with the helmet, and fire at an enemy without having to point the airplane at its target.”
Another bid deal, especially in a tight dogfight.

Air Force Maj. Gen. Jeffrey L. Harrigian said in the Pentagon’s statement. Its main advantage is its stealth, he said, the ability “to operate in threat environments where the F-16 could not survive.”

Just some perspective...when was the last time we went to a next generation fighter without any issues? The technology is just a stretch, the aircraft are complex and there's always a rough learning curve.

I can recall this much controversy with the F-18 and V-22. I can recall nearly this much with the F-15. The F4 had AT LEAST this much controversy.

With nearly everything, when you compare a perfected previous generation against a still infantile new generation, the new generation doesn't look so great. Once it's in service, more flaws will become apparent, they will be corrected, and pilots will have time to learn how to take it to the next level; and they will.

"I can recall this much controversy with the F-18 and V-22. I can recall nearly this much with the F-15. The F4 had AT LEAST this much controversy" No way. not on this scale of dogcrap performance AND huge costs. Mark it down: THE PLANE SUCKS...

Rocky, spot on. This from a guy who has significant neck issues related to flying and trapping aboard.
Yup. I have a compressed neck nerve that gives me vertigo thanks to just a standard helmet and mask. And I only pulled 5 Gs or so as an instructor pilot, often on two flight s day, however. Fifteen or 20 5G events a day is rough. I also got a hernia from it, but that's not the helmet's fault.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
This:
"The clear implication of the RAND study is that the F-35 is very likely to wind up facing many more “up close and personal” opponents than its proponents suggest, while dealing with effective beyond-visual-range infrared-guided missiles as an added complication. Unlike the F-22, the F-35 is described as “double inferior” to modern SU-30 family fighters within visual range combat; thrust and wing loading issues are summed up in one RAND background slide as “can’t [out]turn, can’t [out]climb, can’t [out]run.”

And it sounds like the "Chick" standards were applied to make it look better:
"The second issue that deserves especial mention is that key aerial combat standards have been lowered, following initial tests. All F-35s will sit at 5.0g or less sustained turn performance – a figure that places them in a class with 1960s era planes like the F-5 or F-4 Phantom, instead of modern designs like the F-16. Acceleration is also poorer, compared to a reference F-16C Block 50 with AMRAAM missiles on its wingtips zooming from Mach 0.8 to Mach 1.2.

The USAF’s F-35A dropped the most, from an expected 5.3g – 4.6g in sustained turns. Acceleration will take 8 seconds longer than the F-16."

I must be psychic... or a woman; I foretold this HERE years ago. The plane is a pig and like Rocky says "waiting to be roasted"...

In the Phantom, our best sustained turn rate was at around 430-450 kts at 6.5 "G's" depending on the model and at low altitude you could hold that "G" and climb. We shot for the same "G" in the Tomcat but closer to around 350 kts IIRC.

But sustained "G" isn't the only factor..the biggest are sustained turn rate and radius and instantaneous turn rate and radius.The Phantom's turn rate and radius weren't so hot so we used tactics to try to stay out of a turning fight. We used those big J-79's to use the vertical and/or extend away so we'd have room get turned around and shoot the bogey in the face with a Sparrow or, later with AIM 9 L or M.

Against a better turner with forward quarter capability (F-16 with AIM-9 L or M), by the time you got turned around HE could be already turned around and have a missile headed your way.

The A version of the Tomcat that I flew was much better but still not in the same league as the later generations.

The Israelis used the gun a lot because the adversaries they were going against didn't have much ACM training, weren't maneuvering really hard and were essentially "grapes" PLUS the Israelis didn't want to waste a 'Winder (1/4 million bucks at the time) or Sparrow (1/2 millon) on easy targets. IF, and it's a big IF, an adversary knows you're there AND he knows what he's doing, it's hard to get bullets on him. Heck, I've seen guys try to shoot a non-maneuvering banner and get no hits.

Be that as it may, I think performance wise, we're taking a big step backwards. Technology is great but it's not everything. When one or two bogeys make it past the initial barage of missiles it could easily get into a turning fight and get ugly pretty quickly.

Posted By: navlav8r Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Yup. I have a compressed neck nerve that gives me vertigo thanks to just a standard helmet and mask. And I only pulled 5 Gs or so as an instructor pilot, often on two flight s day, however. Fifteen or 20 5G events a day is rough. I also got a hernia from it, but that's not the helmet's fault.

I can sympathize. My last tour was in the training command and we generally flew three ACM hops a day. It was a lot of fun but I, too, have some pinched nerves in the neck and lower back problems.

When I first went to my pain doctor, he asked, "have you had an accident or something that might have caused the problems?" When I answered, "well I was a fighter pilot for 21 years", he gave a knowing nod and said, "that could do it."
The stenosis in my neck SUCKS nowadays. If I turn a certain way, my left shoulder goes numb, and my arm tingles. 697 traps I'm sure didn't help. On the Israelis, they hosted us back in 85 when we could still pull into Haifa and showed us lots of Gun Camera film. When we asked why they closed to guns so much, the IAF Col just smiled and said "it's more macho" smile
Posted By: drover Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
F-35A: $98M (low rate initial production and not including the engine, full production in 2018 to be $85M)
F-35B: US$104M (low rate initial production and not including the engine)
F-35C: US$116M (low rate initial production and not including the engine)

Note that the prices for the F-35 do not include the engine, which means that the cost is for an aircraft suitable for static display, not a flyable a/c.

F-22 $150 million (flyaway cost for FY2009)

F-16C/D: US$18.8 million (1998 dollars)

Given that it is possible to acquire five F-16's for less than one F-35 and have money left over why are we even thinking of the F-35.
Yep! As stated previously the F-35 is the poster child for the military/industrial complex.

I spent 12 years in the F-16 program and while the F-16 may not do everything right it is still the best "bang for the buck" out there. Why not "superiority through numbers".

drover
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
The F16 easily smokes this piece of junk.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
How is it at CAS - loiter time, ordnance payload, survivability in a high AA threat area? I'm not trying to be mean to the F16, it is a real little hot rod fighter and one of my personal favorites. But the role is CAS, not air superiority. And apparently the F22 is the new undisputed world champion in that arena.

I still think a sh*tload of relatively inexpensive drones - locally controlled, remote controlled from afar, semi-autonomous or a mixture of the three - combined with some lesser number of high tech manned aircraft is the way to go. Or develop stand off munitions good and accurate enough that "CAS" platforms never get within 5 miles of the FEBA (do they still call it that?)

With the state of AA anything that flies and can be seen or painted is going to get shot down eventually. Super $$ high $$ tech $$ is great but all wars are wars of attrition and the lower to the ground you go the higher that attrition rate is likely to be. Keep the super high tech stuff up high. Down low use a huge amount of "good enough" stuff that can be manufactured in sufficient numbers to replace the inevitable losses and not double the national debt in the process. And, save a bunch of expensive pilots' lives in the process.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
My analogy of the gunless fighters of 1965 wasn't so much about guns, but GunGeek's comment about all future combat being Beyond Visual Range.

That might be the idea and the ideal, but EVERYTHING in combat turns to ohsheet no matter what you planned. If the F-35 is indeed a pig in a dogfight, sooner or later, an F-35 jock is going to find himself trying to turn with an adversary - and becoming roast pork.

This x 1000

Posted By: drover Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Can the F-35 program, buy more F-16s and use some of the saved money to upgrade the A-10 - a real CAS a/c.
For some information about how good the F-16 can be in multiple roles take time to read up on the Israeli version.

drover
Posted By: LoadClear Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
If anyone wants to read a LONG thread (going on for 4 years now) by current AF pilots, including a couple guys who've actually flown the F-35:

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/18043-f-35-lightning-info/
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Very enjoyable thread. My thanks to all who have posted with their experiences.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
F-35 Brewster Buffalo.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
I googled "israeli f16 close air support" and found a few articles on the subject. The Israelis definitely have mastered that aircraft in the CAS role. Their Pillar of Fire operation in Gaza showed some impressive accuracy and air/ground coordination. Some other articles on CAS in general pretty much mimiced a lot of the usual discussions for and against each of the aircraft. "Yeah, it (F16, F15E, A10, etc) can do this but it can't do that". Lots of outright prejudice for favorite platforms seems to be floating around among the experts as well - gee, who'da thunk? wink

What I got from those articles was that ordnance developments could be as much of a factor in CAS as the platform delivering them. One commenter on an article wrote, "The best close air support may be artillery, targeted by UAVs and supplied by unmanned helicopters."

Another thing I got and that was mentioned as a criteria for retiring the "beloved A10" was that we haven't had to face a "contested environment" in the life of the aircraft. An F35 might not be a dog fighter but a squadron of A10's would not fare well against a flight of high performance air superiority fighters either.

And not trying to be sarcastic, but it looks like any of our fighters armed with precision weapons can do very well in CAS against a low tech enemy armed only with AK's or light machine guns.

My worry quite blatantly is China with a secondary eye on Russia. The US military has not faced a technologically and logistically equal foe since WWII. Our ground and naval forces have not had to contend with a serious air attack threat since 1945 as well. I can predict the sneers already against the quality of their tech, particularly Russian. But the Chinese aren't stupid and their ability to mass produce goods is increasing while ours is decreasing. The Germans may have sneered at the build quality of a T34 and joked about our Ronsonols, right up until they faced thousands and thousands of them.

Right now our high tech is an excellent force multiplier. It would be a fool who doesn't think the Chinese are developing every way they can think of to counter that high tech. They launch how many cyber attacks against us each day? Thousands is the number I've heard. all it would take is one or two getting through to the right place.

I'm all for advanced weapons but like you, I want to see us maintain the ability to field large numbers of weapons to counter inevitable losses instead of a few that could conceivably be countered by one technological breakthrough.

Anyway, this is all really interesting to talk about. I learn new things all the time here.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/01/15
Just between the bunch here and me.... I believe a lot of the F35b is being to supply new NATO country carriers. NATO taking a larger role around the world. I know the Brits are building two new Carriers around the F35b, and believe Canada will be building or retrofitting some of Frances Mistrals. Japan I believe is also working on new carrier designs. All of these will be equipped with the F35b. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear in the next couple years Germany will be rebuilding a small fleet again.

Phil
Posted By: jorgeI Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
But the role is CAS, not air superiority. And apparently the F22 is the new undisputed world champion in that arena.

The AF would [bleep] a brick if we used a 200M dollar jet for CAS unless it was using standoff stuff. We built I think a total of 178 22, and those I think will be tightly administered and used in an Air Superiority role only where it has no equal. CAS has always been a dirty business and A-10s, F-16s & 18s are designed to be expendable in that role. Use a mix bag for CAS and CAP and leave the 22s for BARCAP. The 35, anyway u cut it is an expensive white elephant, problem is, we are out of options.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
And that is it in a nutshell.

My expertise is 40 years out of date, but back then I was a CAS guy. A very expendable part, as I realized even then. It is indeed a down and dirty, eyeball-to-eyeball, all bets off environment where accuracy and timeliness are everything. There is no perfect aircraft for that job, only adequate ones.

In the end, we will have spent trillions of dollars and decades of time on an aircraft that may end up having little or no useful lifetime simply because we took far too long to get it there. The jocks who fly it may come to appreciate it, they may learn to use it in ways that the engineers never foresaw, and it may turn out to be more or less adequate. But it won't ever be anything better than that.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
Just to clarify - I meant the F22 is the current king of air superiority, not CAS. Looking back those two quoted sentences could be taken ambiguously.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
I wish to God they'd give CAS back to the Army.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
The army never had it
Posted By: Greyghost Re: F35 can't beat F16 - 07/02/15
The Army had the whole freakin Air Force... grin

Phil
© 24hourcampfire