Home
Posted By: powdr Only 4 out of 124 from America - 08/21/15
My son enrolled yesterday in a graduate bio medical technology degree program at a local university here in Texas. There are 124 in the class and only 4 are from America...I don't know what to think of this? powdr
Posted By: BMT Re: Only 4 out of 124 from America - 08/21/15
The other 120 Americans are making $$ on tech.

Originally Posted by powdr
My son enrolled yesterday in a graduate bio medical technology degree program at a local university here in Texas. There are 124 in the class and only 4 are from America...I don't know what to think of this? powdr
Congratulations to your son. That should be a rewarding field.

Too bad more American's don't believe so, or have the grades to cut it. I'm believing more of the latter.
There are 124 in the class and only 4 are from America...I don't know what to think of this?

No worries.......Obama will make citizens out of them before their graduation......along with paying their tuition, with your tax dollars.
Yup, and I bet most of the foreigners got a free ride!
On the contrary most foreign students pay full tuition at universities.

Foreign student makeup varies by university, our daughter is studying bio chemistry and 10% of the undergrad class is international students, 27% of the grad students are international students.
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker

Don't worry. Our kids are Champs and everything will be A OK. whistle
He picked a good field of study !
I don't know what to think of this?

I think our kids are too lazy to study that hard. They want to take basket weaving and expect to graduate with a BS and become head basket weaver and get $125K starting wages.
I see this every year when we attend the UF Graduation ceremonies. Hardly any Americans are graduating in the hard sciences, or in medicine.
Chinese, Indians, Eastern Europeans, Africans, muslims. No Americans.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I see this every year when we attend the UF Graduation ceremonies. Hardly any Americans are graduating in the hard sciences, or in medicine.
Chinese, Indians, Eastern Europeans, Africans, muslims. No Americans.

More Women then Men taking the Hard Sciences is my observation.
Not surprising given the primary education system has a strong anti boy agenda and bias.
I worked for years in R&D in the seed industry. One year, about 2005 more or less, I saw a publication that in that particular year, there were about 200 PhD's awarded to Americans in horticulture. The same year, Chinese colleges awarded 2400. These are the guys who develop what you get on your dinner plate.

That's funny. Just about anyone with a decent GPA can get an assistant ship to get a graduate degree in one of the sciences. If most of the foreigners got aid, they got the grades.

Very few Americans are interested in working through grad school at starvation wages for five years. They'd rather go into debt for 200K and get a law degree......
The result of a culture where every kid gets a trophy, just for showing up.
I wish it was because more 'boys' are going for a skill set, but I'm not sure that's it either.
Somewhat of a tangent on the issue, but tuition in foreign schools is absurdly high, or the curricula not worth the time of day. For these reasons foreign students flock to America. That they pay full tuition is a reason why universities flock to them. College isn't about education for the most part these days, it's a farkin' industry.
Originally Posted by Dutch

That's funny. Just about anyone with a decent GPA can get an assistant ship to get a graduate degree in one of the sciences. If most of the foreigners got aid, they got the grades.

Very few Americans are interested in working through grad school at starvation wages for five years. They'd rather go into debt for 200K and get a law degree......

what I see happening, is that colleges and universities contract with other countries. Their students come here for school, and their countries pay the bills. Full price too. This allows American universities to stay open. Literally. We would have to close most scientific schools, and lay off the professors, were it not for these foreign arrangements.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
[

what I see happening, is that colleges and universities contract with other countries. Their students come here for school, and their countries pay the bills. Full price too. This allows American universities to stay open. Literally. We would have to close most scientific schools, and lay off the professors, were it not for these foreign arrangements.

Absolutely. The local university has active, full time, recruiting offices in the Emirates and Saudi. They bring in over 1,000 students from those countries each year. Full price, and it's what pays for all the pet programs. Never mind that the students are not performing and the average GPA is in the low 2's.

Universities aren't about education. They are about keeping the checks coming, the consulting opportunities coming, the butts in the seats.
Originally Posted by eyeball

Don't worry. Our kids are Champs and everything will be A OK. whistle

Of course they are, they have the participation trophies to prove it.
© 24hourcampfire