Home
The man is 110 & 32 in 11 years and they are wanting to get rid of him.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buy-les-miles-contract-source
2 words......Chip Kelly
There's a lot going on that nobody in the media knows about between Miles and the AD.
Mike Gundy was the first name name mentioned just now on ESPNU College Football Today (by Tom Luginbill)
Originally Posted by Harry M
2 words......Chip Kelly

Yeah sure maybe even Charlie Weiss LOL
Originally Posted by RNF

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buy-les-miles-contract-source

Nick Saban wants him around forever . Miles will be gone by season end. He is a bad coach surrounded by serious talent
Going with the 49ers strategy of getting rid of a winning coach. Good plan.
the buyout is crazy

LSU thinks they are going to compete with Saban? I'd ride it out for a few more years.
Originally Posted by heavywalker

They(administration and boosters) want a Saban beater
Originally Posted by KFWA
the buyout is crazy

LSU thinks they are going to compete with Saban? I'd ride it out for a few more years.

There's Big time troubles behind the scenes if they're considering paying a $15 Mil bailout.
Rodent Pelini is your man.
The whole business of college football is completely and ridiculously out of hand. The name of the game is raising money, with winning important only as an ends to that means. The money spent on facilities and salaries is beyond fathonable. The sport has about as much to do with the sponsoring unversity as an egg has to do with a steam locomotive. Fewer Kilometers is just another coach who has not won enough games to satisfy those who control the purse strings. It happens at all levels on the continium of program success.
Originally Posted by 280shooter

Especially if he can bring along his brother as supervisor (and role model) of decent behavior.
I'd be pissed if my university was willing to pay $15m to anyone to leave.

They might be able to justify getting that revenue back with a National Championship but I doubt its going to happen with Ohio St, Bama and the Big 12.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That's what is so funny. There isn't one.

Or at least one who would take a pay cut to live in Baton Rouge.

TFF, so does everyone else.
I'm glad he is gone. grin

Bo Pelini’s temper cost his team a game, and some things just never change

The latest example came Saturday, when Pelini’s outburst cost his team a game it could not afford to lose.

The situation: Youngstown State leads North Dakota State 24-20 with just over a minute to play, as the Penguins’ defense forced North Dakota State to a 3rd-and-3 at the YSU 17 with 1:20 remaining. The Bison tossed a hurried heave which fell incomplete, but officials flagged Youngstown State for pass interference. The flag was – unquestionably – a questionable one. Even the North Dakota State TV crew admitted as much.

But what happened from there was so typical Pelini it may as well have been the 2009 Big 12 championship game, Nebraska’s 2010 visit to Texas A&M, a Huskers safety catching a finger to face against Penn State in 2012, his meltdown against Wisconsin in 2014 or any of the other tantrums he threw over the years. In fact, after the play-by-play announcer says he’d never seen a scene like this, the color analyst quips, “Nebraska fans have.”

I doubt LSU would have him.
Urban Meyer is going to try his best to be the Saban beater
Houston Nutt is available.
Admittedly there's going to be a lot of shake ups around the nation in college football but I wonder if LSU remembers Tenneesee getting rid of Phil Fulmer several years ago. All he did was win 10 games a year. They haven't been the same since and Butch ain't going to bring them back to national prominence. LSU may be in for the same thing. There are not a lot of great coaches out there. Lots of re-treads but very few solid coaches. Lane Kiffin will get one of the high profile jobs but not USC and so will Chip Kelly if he chooses to get back into college football. There is at present one good job opening at USC but it comes w/a lot of Hollywood baggage. Maryland a not so good job and VA Tech is a good job but there ain't many Frank Beamers left around. UCF is down and out plus who knows might come open. Indianapolis Colts have contacted Saben but I doubt he's lured away from Alabama. Charlie Strong is hated at Texas by the fans and Alum but he might gat one more year. My question is how can two programs as good as Texas and LSU can not recruit a top notch quarterback? Going to be interesting to see what happens between now and January 15th. powdr
His buyout is over 8 years to pay it out and it scales on how quickly he starts coaching somewhere else. The whole deal between him and the AD started last week when he told the AD he wanted to retire at the end of the 2016 season and it went downhill from there about hiring a coach in waiting ala Jimbo Fisher did at FSU.

According to the conference call Sunday the TAF (who pays his salary) had the cash on hand to pay 100% of the buyout now. They have incredible amounts of money "on hand" considering they now own a majority of Tiger Stadium and lease it to LSU for $1 per season.
Chip isn't going to LSU. USC would be the place he'll end up if he decides the NFL isn't for him. I don't think it is but the owner won't kick him out - he'll have to decide to leave. That will depend on the size of his ego - can he realize his method doesn't work where you don't have an athlete advantage like he did in NCAA.

Originally Posted by NathanL
There's a lot going on that nobody in the media knows about between Miles and the AD.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kind of interesting - in the NFL, where you can pay players huge amounts of money, you can't get an athlete advantage, but in college where you can't pay them, it is possible. Amazing how it is possible to get young athletes to attend a university based solely on its academics or their life-long love of the institution.
Originally Posted by powdr
Admittedly there's going to be a lot of shake ups around the nation in college football but I wonder if LSU remembers Tenneesee getting rid of Phil Fulmer several years ago. All he did was win 10 games a year. They haven't been the same since and Butch ain't going to bring them back to national prominence. LSU may be in for the same thing. There are not a lot of great coaches out there. Lots of re-treads but very few solid coaches. Lane Kiffin will get one of the high profile jobs but not USC and so will Chip Kelly if he chooses to get back into college football. There is at present one good job opening at USC but it comes w/a lot of Hollywood baggage. Maryland a not so good job and VA Tech is a good job but there ain't many Frank Beamers left around. UCF is down and out plus who knows might come open. Indianapolis Colts have contacted Saben but I doubt he's lured away from Alabama. Charlie Strong is hated at Texas by the fans and Alum but he might gat one more year. My question is how can two programs as good as Texas and LSU can not recruit a top notch quarterback? Going to be interesting to see what happens between now and January 15th. powdr

Add Alabama into that list of pgms that can't recruit a top notch QB
Just like UGA. Top talent, great recruiter, wins a ton of games, but chits the bed every year in a big game.

Alumni gets tired of coming in second place to rivals every year and solid 10-3 coaches get shown the door.

I don't think Richt long for Athens either.
Ohio State's looking for an assistant coach. Ol' Les ain't much, but I guess he'd do in a pinch.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Just like UGA. Top talent, great recruiter, wins a ton of games, but chits the bed every year in a big game.

Alumni gets tired of coming in second place to rivals every year and solid 10-3 coaches get shown the door.

I don't think Richt long for Athens either.

I would have thought Richt would have been gone years ago
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

Perfect!

Alabama's last QB may not have been a top notch recruit, but he did win 3 national championships. There really isn't a need for a "spotlight" QB at 'bama.

"When you surround yourself with people who are smarter and better than you, and have the confidence to let them do their jobs, success will follow". - Paul Bryant
Admittedly there's going to be a lot of shake ups around the nation in college football but I wonder if LSU remembers Tenneesee getting rid of Phil Fulmer several years ago. All he did was win 10 games a year. They haven't been the same since and Butch ain't going to bring them back to national prominence. LSU may be in for the same thing. powdr

This is the 1st thing that came to mind when I seen the buy out article.

Les Miles to Mizzou!!!! Not. I am sure Les will end up at ESPN or the SEC network doing commentary. Why would he coach again.

Should be an interesting off season with all the coaching shuffles.
LSU people hate Miles, and for the life of me I don't get it. I point out hid record and they don't care, they hate him. I point out that they can slip back to the Mike Archer/ Gerry DiNardo days and they ALL would take the tradeoff.
I work with LSU fans and they have unrealistic expectations. Les is goofy and should recruit a good QB to take advantage of the rest of his talent and he should hire better coordinators but they would be foolish to fire him.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I work with LSU fans and they have unrealistic expectations. (All right, no further entries for the "Understatement of the Year" trophy need be sent in.) Les is goofy and should recruit a good QB to take advantage of the rest of his talent and he should hire better coordinators but they would be foolish to fire him.
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Alabama's last QB may not have been a top notch recruit, but he did win 3 national championships. There really isn't a need for a "spotlight" QB at 'bama.

"When you surround yourself with people who are smarter and better than you, and have the confidence to let them do their jobs, success will follow". - Paul Bryant

It is pretty Obvious that Saban wanted to open up the offense when he hired Kiffin. Clipboard holders don't work anymore in CFB.
I don't care where Les goes, as long as he goes.
Originally Posted by hatari
LSU people hate Miles, and for the life of me I don't get it. I point out hid record and they don't care, they hate him. I point out that they can slip back to the Mike Archer/ Gerry DiNardo days and they ALL would take the tradeoff.

Fans and boosters are interesting in that respect. They automatically assume that if they fire someone his replacement is going to be better or see it as worth the gamble.
So this all started because Les wanted to retire in 2016 and wanted a HCIW scenario to help out things.
So this all started because Les wanted to retire in 2016 and wanted a HCIW scenario to help out things.

If he's ready to quit, do like Spurrier, quit. No need to drag it out.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I don't care where Les goes, as long as he goes.

Help us out. Why is he in the crosshairs after so much success. Personality? Unfulfilled expectations? I've seen no recruiting violations to haunt him, no Jerry Sandusky.

Talk about unloved??
I work with a lot of diehard LSU fans ( as well as saints, but that's another story).

Ask them all about Miles, and their biggest complaint about him is boneheaded play calling.
I get that, but he does win and win a lot.

When the wild plays work, then the coach is "bold. imaginative, a genius". When they don't work, "he's an idiot".
its because he eats grass isn't it?

I've been to an LSU football game as well as a Bama game.

LSU is serious about football

but all they have to do is look at UT (as mentioned before) or even Florida to see that you just can't plug and play a coach

if I had to think of coaches out there - I'd consider a name you don't hear mentioned much - Jim Tressel - I know he's an Ohio guy thru and thru but he does have 4 national championships under his belt in DII and one at Ohio St.
And ran an exemplary program. (Not that that matters to anyone.)
Didn't Tressel have some NCAA problems?
As a Bama fan I would hate to see him leave
Well according to the latest, Miles won't make it through the week. Dumb move on their part in my opinion but it is what it will be. Richts somehow keeps dodging the bullet. Seems like his name has come up for the last three years. The new coach in Florida is going to make waves for some years to come and the coach at Arkansas is getting it done slowly but surely. He's going to win a conference title before he's done. College football is so exciting I don't even watch the pros any more. powdr
Originally Posted by mathman

Not sure about him, but he was coaching when Maurice claret showed his a$$.
Might be what you are thinking off.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
And ran an exemplary program. (Not that that matters to anyone.)

Added: We so dearly need a sarcasm icon.
Tressel did have NCAA problems, why do you think he is gone. The big money people will pay the grass eater's buyout, not the school.
Charlie Strong is fighting the mess that Ol Mackie Brown left. Recruited players for a system that they weren't running! Charlie will have some of his own recruits next year and he'll start turning it around. He inherited a MESS.
Can't agree with you on that Butch. I really don't think he's that good of a coach. Not a big time coach...plus he has too many things going against him. Texas is not ready for a black coach and that's coming from a lot of fans and boosters. They made their opinions clear before they hired Charlie. Some of the blunders they made this year were high school mistakes. He's not a bad guy, he's just not the right man for the UT job. I graduated from there and worked in the weight room for Charlie Craven and Dana Leduc in the 70's and still have a lot of contact w/ex's and some insiders. You may be right Butch, time will tell I guess. powdr
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Not sure about him, but he was coaching when Maurice claret showed his a$$.
Might be what you are thinking off.

article

COLUMBUS, Ohio - In a sharply worded rebuke of Ohio State's Jim Tressel, the NCAA on Monday accused the 10-year coach with withholding information and lying to keep Buckeyes players on the field who had accepted improper benefits from the owner of a tattoo parlor.

In a "notice of allegations" sent to the school, the NCAA said Monday that the violations relating to the coach are considered "potential major violations."

Ohio State was not cited for the most serious of institutional breaches since Tressel hid information from his superiors for more than nine months. The university has 90 days to respond to the ruling body of college sports' request for information before a scheduled date before the NCAA's committee on infractions on Aug. 12 in Indianapolis.

In a 13-page indictment of Tressel's behavior, the NCAA alleged that Tressel had "permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics while ineligible." It also said he "failed to deport himself ... (with) honesty and integrity" and said he was lying when he filled out a compliance form in September which said he had no knowledge of any NCAA violations by any of his players.

Athletic director Gene Smith said he would have "no comments until the case is resolved." The university issued a statement that the allegations were consistent with what it had already self-reported to the NCAA on March 8.

Tressel's troubles began with an April 2, 2010, email from Columbus lawyer Christopher Cicero. Cicero, a former Ohio State walk-on player, informed Tressel that a federal agency had raided the house of tattoo-shop owner Eddie Rife and discovered a multitude of autographed Ohio State jerseys, cleats, pants and helmets, Big Ten championship rings and the "gold pants" trinkets given to Buckeyes players for beating archrival Michigan.

Tressel responded, "I will get on it ASAP."

Yet he did not notify Smith or Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee, anyone else in the athletic department, the NCAA compliance department, or anyone in the university's legal department. Instead, he forwarded the email to Jeannette, Pa., businessman Ted Sarniak, a friend and mentor to star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who was subsequently discovered to be one of the players involved with Rife.

The Columbus Dispatch reported Monday that Tressel went on to exchange at least 12 emails with Cicero, and also had numerous lengthy telephone conversations with Sarniak over the weeks and months ahead. Tressel still did not tell any of his superiors, anyone at the NCAA or his own compliance or legal departments.

In September of 2010, Tressel even signed a mandatory and rather routine Ohio State compliance form which clearly and simply asks if he the coach has knowledge of any NCAA violations. By signing and dating it, he said that he did not.

The U.S. Attorney contacted Ohio State in December to notify the university that it had come across the memorabilia. That prompted a cursory investigation — Smith conceded to The Associated Press last week that the effort was rushed — that did not turn up the telltale emails between Cicero and Tressel but did uncover the players' involvement with Rife. After consulting with the NCAA and the Big Ten, Pryor and four other top players were handed five-game suspensions — curiously not including the next game, the Sugar Bowl, but beginning with the first five games of the 2011 season.

Tressel was asked at a news conference if the players knew they were doing something wrong.

"I suppose that would be something rattling around inside the head of each of them individually," he said. "We all have a little sensor within us, 'Well, I'm not sure if I should be doing this."'

At the same time he said that, Tressel later admitted he was covering up his own knowledge of the players' violations.

The NCAA and Ohio State say the case against the players is closed.

It was only when Ohio State began appealing the players' suspensions that it uncovered the emails, leading to Tressel ultimately receiving a five-game suspension and a $250,000 fine. Smith said last week that the fine given to Tressel — who makes around $3.5 million a year — would not cover Ohio State's costs of the investigation.

Tressel has a record of 106-22 at Ohio State and won the 2002 national championship, the Buckeyes' first in 34 years. His team went 12-1 last season, including the 31-26 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl.

The NCAA could accept Ohio State's suggestion of sanctions — the five-game suspension and the fine — or could levy much more severe penalties. Since the NCAA says that Tressel knowingly used ineligible players, it would seem probable that the 2010 regular season would be vacated — ending the Buckeyes' run of Big Ten titles at six in a row. The NCAA could also come down hard on Tressel, compelling Ohio State to add to Tressel's suspension or issue sanctions leading to the school firing him.
Originally Posted by RNF

THe University of Tennessee did almost the same trick with Phil Fulmer.

At the time, he had one of the best winning percentages in College Football.

If LSU does it, they will regret it.
that's almost 3 losses per year. Hardly good enough. Dump the bum.
By the way, if Tennessee still has two nickels to rub together, they ought to let Butch Jones go and hire Miles. SC could then hire Jones.

That would be a better fit for both those coaches.
He did and that's why Urban Myer is at OSU. Players were trading bowl rings and other gifts for tatoos. That's against NCAA rules. He knew it, didn't report it and tried to cover it up some. IMO, not a big deal, but as with many things, the cover up is worse than the crime.

Edit:
Should have kept reading before I posted...
Originally Posted by BFD
that's almost 3 losses per year. Hardly good enough. Dump the bum.

Throw a National Championship in with that and it don't look to bad.
marginal. very marginal. should have a national champ 3 times by now.
Originally Posted by BFD

*should* have, but they end with too much riff raff. kinda like FSU.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I work with LSU fans and they have unrealistic expectations. Les is goofy and should recruit a good QB to take advantage of the rest of his talent and he should hire better coordinators but they would be foolish to fire him.

His philosophy is modern day Bo Schembeckler - 3 yards and a cloud of dust. When you get predictable, it's easy to get outcoached. and LSU fans cannot tolerate losing to Bama 5 straight. They are still pissed off at Saban for leaving LSU to take the Miami dolphins job.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by BFD

*should* have, but they end with too much riff raff. kinda like FSU.

FSU doesn't have 3 national championships ????? RIff Raff lol yeah right
Originally Posted by 308ragincajun

LSU fans cannot tolerate losing to Bama 5 straight. They are still pissed off at Saban for leaving LSU to take the Miami dolphins job.

Saban has beat most everybody 5 straight. He and Meyer are a breed apart. They don't sell Saban beaters at Home Depot so they're kinda scarce.

Spurrier had it going on at UF in the '90's. Seemed that only a Bowden - be it Bobby or Terry- could beat him more than once. It is fine to aspire to that level but it is asinine to anguish in envy when you fall short. Be proud of a great program, reload, and come back next year.
The difference in Alabama and LSU is Alabama takes whatever QB's they have in the fold and coach them up. Les and LSU just let the guy play on his raw talent. The reason I know this is because the last two QB's they've had were no better at the end of the season than the beginning. powdr
If you don't win,you don't stay. Welcome to the Sec. Les's last 5 vs Bama? 0 for 5. Any question whose the bull of the woods in major college football?
The difference in Alabama and LSU is Alabama takes whatever QB's they have in the fold and coach them up. Les and LSU just let the guy play on his raw talent. The reason I know this is because the last two QB's they've had were no better at the end of the season than the beginning. powdr

LSU is a black hole for QB's for sure and with the offense LSU runs you do not need an all world QB to suceed either.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by 308ragincajun

LSU fans cannot tolerate losing to Bama 5 straight. They are still pissed off at Saban for leaving LSU to take the Miami dolphins job.

Saban has beat most everybody 5 straight. He and Meyer are a breed apart. They don't sell Saban beaters at Home Depot so they're kinda scarce.

Spurrier had it going on at UF in the '90's. Seemed that only a Bowden - be it Bobby or Terry- could beat him more than once. It is fine to aspire to that level but it is asinine to anguish in envy when you fall short. Be proud of a great program, reload, and come back next year.

Yeah, but you don't understand LSU fans, or LSU money guys.
I think this whole bru ha ha was fabricated by the media. No way they get rid of Lester.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I think this whole bru ha ha was fabricated by the media. No way they get rid of Lester.

Wanna make a bet on your brilliant guess?
Well damn. No madhatter at USEe Les is staying at LSU!

Was the right thing to do. But then again it ain't yet I'm sure.
© 24hourcampfire