Home
After work during the winter time its great to just pull a pizza
from the freezer and put it in the oven. I vote for DiGiorno
as the best frozen pizza. smile
The Wal Mart pre-made types are surprisingly good.

Jacks Taco Style is my all time favorite.

Digiorno are good too.

Travis
Tombstone. I agree that Walmart's and Sam's are surprisingly edible.
I like Digiorno and Safeway brand
The one I really love is the DiGiorno with the cheese stuffed crust. They cost $8 - $9 but are worth it.
Kroger
Thin & Crispy Extra Pepperoni
Walmart or DiGiorno. Of the two, my preference is Walmart's.
Albertsons has their 'store brand' that we've been buying and really like...
Costco's.
For the price, it's tough to beat Jacks.

Tombstones are very good for about twice the price of a Jacks.

Heggee's are a MN regional brand and are great, but cost $11 bucks.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
For the price, it's tough to beat Jacks.

Tombstones are very good for about twice the price of a Jacks.

Heggee's are a MN regional brand and are great, but cost $11 bucks.
I don't think Tombstones are twice as high as Jack's here, but they are surprisingly expensive.
Lots of times you can find Tombstones for about three bucks apiece. There are some decent frozen pizzas out there, but they have to be "thin crust" for me.
Best and frozen pizza is an oxymoron.

You can start a batch of dough in the morning and let it proof during the day. When you get home crank the oven to 550 to let the pizza stone get hot and give the dough it's second rising.

[Linked Image]

Better than any frozen pizza, better than most fresh pizzas.
We buy the Totino's brand pizzas,They are small enough that they just fit on a dinner plate.We microwave them till the cheese melts,and then throw them in a hot skillet just long enough to get the crust crispy,and eat them off the same plate we nuked them on.It's far more convientant than pre-heating the oven,and baking two small pizzas.
Junk food!!

THAT....and TV making more fat gals than America has ever seen!!
I used to own a good pizza parlor. I know how to make good pies of all types, and do so often. However, I do have to admit I crave a frozen pie now and again. Not sure why. Maybe it brings back fond memories of cheap 3.2 beer bars and backyard baseball, pickled turkey gizzards, puking, and such.

Bill
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill
I used to own a good pizza parlor. I know how to make good pies of all types, and do so often. However, I do have to admit I crave a frozen pie now and again. Not sure why. Maybe it brings back fond memories of cheap 3.2 beer bars and backyard baseball, pickled turkey gizzards, puking, and such.

Bill

You from N.C.?
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill

Bill

You from N.C.?

Minnesota. Same thing, only colder and "nicer." smile
Family size - Tombstone, by a long shot.

Personal size - Totino's, it's not even a competition.
The ones from Schwans are very good. Almost always on sale, 3-for-$ (I think it's 12)

http://www.schwans.com/products/specials?specialsMode=2
Fat Boy Special:

Take two Totino's out and bake them about 90% of the way. Get a large skillet and heat a slab of butter on Med Hi heat. Slap the two Totino's together, crust out,and fry in the butter like a grilled cheese sandwich.

Best when preceded by consuming large quantities of beer.

There is no such thing as "best" frozen pizza. It is all garbage.
papa Murphy.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
papa Murphy.

That's fresh, not frozen.
Farook used to make real good pizza, oh well.....
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Fat Boy Special:

Take two Totino's out and bake them about 90% of the way. Get a large skillet and heat a slab of butter on Med Hi heat. Slap the two Totino's together, crust out,and fry in the butter like a grilled cheese sandwich.

We have a WINNER!!!!

Jacks pizza for me.

Screamin'Sicilian
There used to be one (Tony's?) that was called Mexican style. It was awesome. I could eat a whole one by myself.
DiGiorno. Really good junk food. grin
[quote=Whiptail]
Screamin'Sicilian [/quote

Agreed, I like a tonys pizza too, but it ain't no SS.
Emil's Pizza distributed in Wisconsin and Illinois. Thin crust Cajun Chicken...my favorite.
Freschetta (sp?)...hands down. Awesome crust for a frozen pie!
those made in the store pizzas from Sam's Club are good for the money.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Fat Boy Special:

Damn, that sounds good-the pizzas don't sound too bad either.
From here up into northern Minnesota, one can get Heggie's Pizzas in lots of bars, motels, and even for sale in stores. A local made pizza, and boy do they taste good after a day afield or on the water.

As for the mass marketed stuff, I really like Red Baron. Too bad they don't throw in one of those Stearman's!
Originally Posted by gophergunner
From here up into northern Minnesota, one can get Heggie's Pizzas in lots of bars, motels, and even for sale in stores. A local made pizza, and boy do they taste good after a day afield or on the water.

As for the mass marketed stuff, I really like Red Baron. Too bad they don't throw in one of those Stearman's!

same as Hot Stuff / Hunt Brothers pizza?
Home Run pizza .Made in Appleton Wi.
Whatever barmaid that will bring you a drink and cook the damn thing.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I like Digiorno and Safeway brand

Yep - that Safeway brand is pretty good.
Heggies hard to beat.
Originally Posted by Huntz

Winner wnner!

Originally Posted by noduck
Heggies hard to beat.

Yup
Red Baron for me!

Mike
Heggies and nothing else is even close.

Dean
1. Tombstone
2. Pizza Corner
American Flatbread

http://experience.usatoday.com/food...flatbreads-unique-take-on-pizza/2393471/
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by gophergunner

same as Hot Stuff / Hunt Brothers pizza?
Not sure-possible I guess.
Originally Posted by Huntz

Like those as well. Only a few frozen pizzas I even consider food as with beer only a few I consider beverage... frozen pizza has to have descent sauce and beer has to be dark... I'm a pizza and beer snob.
I remember going to Wisconsin back in the 70's and seeing these signs for Tombstone Pizza. It tickled me so much I went into a bar and asked for a bag with the logo on it to take home to Cincinnati. Back home, my friends were as amazed as I was that they'd try to identify a pizza with something as hard and inedible as a tombstone.

I could not bring myself to eat a Tombstone pizza until about twenty years later. By then they were in the Kroger stores. Not bad.

My overall favorite is Totinos. I'll have to try the idea with the two folded together. We still have a mess of them left over from deer camp.

While I'm on the subject of goofy names for stuff, it wasn't too long after that Wisconsin trip, I started hearing about Outback Steakhouse. I'd read several WWII memoirs about submarines, and the quality of the beef they put on board the subs based in Australia. Yikes.

I think it was Cmdr. Edward Beach writing that a cook who knew exactly how much papaya extract (tenderizer) to put on the steaks was worth his weight in gold. Too little: shoe leather/ too much: goo.

Again, I could not bring myself to try Outback the first twenty years or so. I finally got to ask a buddy who'd been an Outback manager about that. He said Outback was an "Australian themed restaurant serving American beef." However, I was not the first to notice.

[Linked Image]
Walmart Pizza....looked like a million bucks, smelled even better. Tasted like a soggy dish rag.
I gotta stick with the Home Run Inn. At 5000 feet, the crust gets a bit hard, but they at least know how to put the "food" portion on. I hate a piece of bread with toppings you can see through.
© 24hourcampfire