Home
Posted By: Flfiremedic Anyone here into RVig? - 03/06/16
We are looking at going fulltime due to my job...any input into various Class A DPs or Suprr Cs would be great.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
What size DP are you interested in? How much do you want to spend? How many miles a year are you actually planning to use the RV?

A class A is going to give you much more room than any other RV and give you greater comfort for full time. Are you interested in New or used? If new, remember that the price tag is very negotiable. Up to 30% off list if you purchase at shows. But since most people purchase a Class A and rarely use it, a good low mileage top of the line class A can be even better. The first owner will usually add extras that will stay with the RV at no additional cost. Since you are looking at a pusher, those engines typically will last several hundred thousand miles. So a used one with under 30,000 miles will save you $100,000 or more and give you a top rated motor home.

Good luck and happy motoring.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Originally Posted by ro1459
What size DP are you interested in? How much do you want to spend? How many miles a year are you actually planning to use the RV?

A class A is going to give you much more room than any other RV and give you greater comfort for full time. Are you interested in New or used? If new, remember that the price tag is very negotiable. Up to 30% off list if you purchase at shows. But since most people purchase a Class A and rarely use it, a good low mileage top of the line class A can be even better. The first owner will usually add extras that will stay with the RV at no additional cost. Since you are looking at a pusher, those engines typically will last several hundred thousand miles. So a used one with under 30,000 miles will save you $100,000 or more and give you a top rated motor home.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Very sound advice here ^^^

And these Engines are not even broke in until they get 50,000 or more on them.

My wife and I are fulltime. Best decision we ever made was to cut as many leashes as possible and become Nomadic. smile

Unfortunately the Government forces us to maintain a "Physical Residential address" of some fashion.
Posted By: rnr Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Thought about the same thing.

But we decided on a 5th wheel set up. Didn't like the idea that if something went wrong with the power train, mechanics would be traipsing around our 'home'.

When you're traveling, you're driving. You don't need to go back for a sandwich.

But it's a matter of choice.
Originally Posted by rnr
Thought about the same thing.

But we decided on a 5th wheel set up. Didn't like the idea that if something went wrong with the power train, mechanics would be traipsing around our 'home'.

When you're traveling, you're driving. You don't need to go back for a sandwich.

But it's a matter of choice.

I could understand this issue for sure. Luckily I am a Diesel Tech by trade so it is all on me if it breaks. smile The surprising thing is how little actually goes wrong with a Diesel pusher, they really are pretty reliable. I like the handling and drivability factor with the Coach.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
My job required me to live in an RV and have used them all at one time or another.

Class A's are very limited in floor plans,if you have been in one you have been in them all,it seems.Diesals are very expensive for upkeep compared to a gasser..The Class A usually does have more outside storage than other types and is better equipped for colder weather than even all the arctic packages out there with the enclosed bay area with plug in's for a light bulb or heater but if you vinyl skirt a fifth wheel or travel trailer your in the same ball park for winter.

Fifth wheels have the best livable floorplans in my opinion and the trailers are not far behind but you need a bare minimum of a heavy duty 3/4 ton and better yet,a 1 ton to pull them.

Fifth wheels lack pickup bed cargo for toys and extra's compared to a travel trailer and generally are much heavier needing a larger tow vehicle.

So many pro's and con's of each.I have lived fulltime in all and found a decked out travel trailer suited my needs best with my favorite 35ft Jayco fifth the wheel a close second only because of pickup bed cargo space for large propane bottles and gen set.

I currently have a 21 ft Class C for getting back into places you can't take a trailer(2ft longer than a pickup) or anything larger and a 30ft travel trailer we have lived in for long periods of time.

Good luck on your choice.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Unfortunately the Government forces us to maintain a "Physical Residential address" of some fashion.
Hmmm. First time I've heard of that.. Explain further if you please..
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Originally Posted by Redneck

For tax purposes... you must maintain a address that you call your home. I know a couple that RV full time and they sold their house, so they use their neighbors physical address, with the neighbors permission, of course.

You can't even get a P.O. Box to receive Mail, a Driver's license in most States or an account at some Banks without "Proof" of a "Physical Residential address".

Since the events of 9-11 Gypsies and the Homeless are automatically considered Terrorist threats.

Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
We are looking at going fulltime due to my job...any input into various Class A DPs or Suprr Cs would be great.

Can't help you with the DP thing...I'm in a 42' double slider I traded the equity in the house for...Mine has "tag wheels" that make driving in the wind a lot easier and a Ford V-10 with about 90K miles (plenty of power) but I'm not towing a vehicle...I added a small 110V freezer, a 15 cu. ft. refrigerator & a "parlor" type wood stove...internet is via a verizon "jetpack", but you can also tether a cell phone to a laptop if you want to go that route...also have dish satellite for TV...Keep your gray & fresh water tanks clean, a little maint. goes a long ways in preventing build up.

I've been out of the house for a little over a year and it's great once you get used to it, but there is a learning curve...many people would be surprised at the number of people doing it "full time"...
A post office box has always worked for me because it requires a physical address such as a mobile home park etc which usually has a street address and space number.

I once had four PO boxes at one time. I used my mobile home PO box as primary for mail and taxes.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

For tax purposes... you must maintain a address that you call your home. I know a couple that RV full time and they sold their house, so they use their neighbors physical address, with the neighbors permission, of course.

Boolschitt...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Thought about gettin one, having Xibit pimp it out with 127 custom cages for my traveling yorkie puppy mill.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I've been out of the house for a little over a year and it's great once you get used to it, but there is a learning curve...many people would be surprised at the number of people doing it "full time"...

I get a kick out of the ones who criticize my Fuel Mileage, "Costs a lot to Drive one of those around". I guess they don't think too clearly and I have to explain that it is parked most of the time and we Drive the Jeep around.

I love the look on their face when I ask them how much "Fuel" and "how many trips" in a "Rented Truck" it would take for them to "Move their whole Household". smile

I can relocate half way across the Country right now in one Trip on 350 Dollars and be rolling out 30 minutes from now. smile

Boolschitt...

That's the way it was explained to me. If its wrong, I stand corrected.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Originally Posted by logcutter
A post office box has always worked for me because it requires a physical address such as a mobile home park etc which usually has a street address and space number.

I once had four PO boxes at one time. I used my mobile home PO box as primary for mail and taxes.

I am now in the business of setting up trusts for those who need the shelter from state and local taxes and other protections.

Most people with RVs who need a home base for tax, voting, mail, etc. currently choose South Dakota. Wyoming is also popular.

Very easy to do, but be sure to title assets there, register vehicles, register to vote, etc. to firmly establish domicile in that place. You need to defend against claims for taxes, lawsuits, etc. from other states, which often try to assert jurisdiction. There is good info about this on the Internet.
I'm in a 42' double slider

What kind of Class A do you have?..Love to see some pictures of it as I am cruising RV trader every day looking for the right floor plan to possibly do the same as you.Usually and I say usually,gasser's stop at about 38 feet because of the weight which the diesels handle much better.I do not want a diesel motorhome after owning a few logging trucks.

Jayco

Boolschitt...

That's the way it was explained to me. If its wrong, I stand corrected.

No, you are absolutely correct. Taxes Too. Unfortunately this is fact. All you have to do is call your local Post Office and ask what they require to rent a P.O. Box. A Utility Bill in your Name, A Rent Receipt in your Name, A Deed that has the indication of a "Residence" included on it, Or a Property Tax Bill that Is Classified as "Residential".

To provide any false information concerning these requirements is a Felony.
Originally Posted by Anjin

I am now in the business of setting up trusts for those who need the shelter from state and local taxes and other protections.

Most people with RVs who need a home base for tax, voting, mail, etc. currently choose South Dakota. Wyoming is also popular.

Very easy to do, but be sure to title assets there, register vehicles, register to vote, etc. to firmly establish domicile in that place. You need to defend against claims for taxes, lawsuits, etc. from other states, which often try to assert jurisdiction. There is good info about this on the Internet.

Fantastic service this would be considering the real problem with these issues and living Nomadic!

Good info for those contemplating full time RVing..I have never had a problem in Idaho doing the same.I have know need or want to travel anywhere but here other than possibly trying Arizona for the winter just once.

Used to be a BLM permit for like $80 gave you camping privileges in the boonies for the season there..Not sure now.My dad did Yuma every year in his 5'er.

I can relocate half way across the Country right now in one Trip on 350 Dollars and be rolling out 30 minutes from now. smile

Yep..."work camper" positions can also be an option...
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/06/best_tax_state_for_fulltime_rv.php

try to find a state that has its taxation system set up to your advantage.

Since it’s required that you declare a state as your primary residence, the first consideration should be whether or not they have an income tax.

while Tennessee and New Hampshire don’t have state income tax, they do tax interest income and dividends,

Let’s look at sales tax.

Property tax on houses and land is of no concern, but personal property tax will affect your RV, car, and even furniture & household possessions:

But don’t forget such things as vehicle registration and drivers licenses. These might not be called a tax, but if you have to pay a government identity, call it what you want.

Another issue is voting

Since I dont know what I'm talking about, I pulled up this link that explains some of the reasons that a physical address is required.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16

IIRC, there's a company that caters to full-timers regarding that 'address' or mail-clearing - something like that.. I'll have to search later..

Question just popped up - what do the 'homeless' do??

Good info - and yes, the first thing that crossed my mind re: location was SD...

Correct me if I am wrong,it's been a couple...To get a PO box with a number,you have to have a physical address, whether it be a mobile home park or RV park with there address and your space number and it works for taxes etc..

To get a PO box, such as one that says general delivery(without a number attached),you do not have to have a physical address but it will not work for taxes etc.

Yep..."work camper" positions can also be an option...

Absolutely true! My wife and I went with a 3 axle 75 MCI MC-8 and converted it because of the room it provides. I like the fact it has full sized Tires on it, We will never be pushing the load limits with these compared to what they are currently putting on newer Coaches for Tire size. My main asset with this Coach is the Huge amount of Storage.

This is very important when you are living in something mobile full time. I have plenty of room for my "Tools of the Trade" and it is pretty much a "Mobile Service Vehicle" with Gen set, Air compressor, Welder and every Tool I need to work on Trucks or Equipment Anywhere I park it. smile

Driving this "Screaming Jimmy" is a bunch of fun in it's own right. Last I figured I am getting 7.5 miles to the Gallon fully loaded and pulling the Jeep as long as there are not too many Hills. smile
Correct me if I am wrong,it's been a couple...To get a PO box with a number,you have to have a physical address, whether it be a mobile home park or RV park with there address and your space number and it works for taxes etc..

To get a PO box, such as one that says general delivery(without a number attached),you do not have to have a physical address but it will not work for taxes etc.

Yes...but you have to show a receipt from this RV park. General delivery stopped after 9-11, it is no more. In fact to even have a letter in your name delivered to a family member's house they have to add your name to the list of names associated with Mail delivery to that particular address or it will not get delivered. Period.

I know a lot of people who put one of their Family Member's Utility Bills in their own name as proof of Residence at that address so that they can get a P.O. Box.

Yep...Your Government wants to have their Thumb on you at all times.
Posted By: Semper_Fi57 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16
Firemedic,

You might want to check out a website www.rv.net. It is a site dedicated to RVing. Lots of good info.

Jim
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/07/16

Heres a good place to ask that question,they have a "full time" RV forum: http://www.rv.net/

Sorry did see the above post when I posted.

Yes...but you have to show a receipt from this RV park. General delivery stopped after 9-11, it is no more. In fact to even have a letter in your name delivered to a family member's house they have to add your name to the list of names associated with Mail delivery to that particular address or it will not get delivered. Period.

I know a lot of people who put one of their Family Member's Utility Bills in their own name as proof of Residence at that address so that they can get a P.O. Box.

Hmmm...when I moved to Az. last year, all I had to do was show them my DL for a P.O. box. When I first moved into the RV, I submitted a change of address from my house to a P.O. box for mail forwarding. When I got down to Az. I submitted a change of address from that P.O. to the place I was staying down in Morristown Az...Where I'm at now, I'm a "watch person"...I have no rent, utilities....nothing is in my name. I just got my DL renewed in Oct. and had the address changed to the property address where I'm staying...no "proof of residency" such as bills were needed. I also changed the county I'm registered to vote in with no problem.

Now, if I wanted to change my STATE of residency, I'd probably have to submit "proof" such as a utility bill of some sort, but to remain a resident of the state your currently a "resident" of, I don't think there's any issues.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16

Hmmm...when I moved to Az. last year, all I had to do was show them my DL for a P.O. box. When I first moved into the RV, I submitted a change of address from my house to a P.O. box for mail forwarding. When I got down to Az. I submitted a change of address from that P.O. to the place I was staying down in Morristown Az...Where I'm at now, I'm a "watch person"...I have no rent, utilities....nothing is in my name. I just got my DL renewed in Oct. and had the address changed to the property address where I'm staying...no "proof of residency" such as bills were needed. I also changed the county I'm registered to vote in with no problem.

Now, if I wanted to change my STATE of residency, I'd probably have to submit "proof" such as a utility bill of some sort, but to remain a resident of the state your currently a "resident" of, I don't think there's any issues.

All I can say is you got lucky with the Person behind the Counter. It depends on how "by the book" your local Postmaster happens to be. I just spent an hour on the USPS Website to find the PDF linked below without first needing to offer personal information and "Create an Account" just to get this information.

What I claim is indeed true and the "ID requirements" that also include "Physical address" are in the "PO Box rental Application" PDF linked below. I just went through this because I was required to "Renew and update" my Business Box. Both Personal and Business Boxes are subject to these requirements as you will read on the form.

Even though I had a Business Box, every listed representative of my Company who receives mail to that Box with their name also attached along with the Business name were forced to physically go to the Post Office and show a picture ID along with a form of "physical address ID" listed in the PDF Link.

Like I said...you got lucky because it is definitely required.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1093.pdf

Id REQUIRED
Whether you apply online or at a Post Office, two valid forms
of identification are required when you obtain your keys or
combination at the Post Office where your box is located. You must
present the IDs at a Post Office. One item must contain a photograph
and one must be traceable to the bearer (prove your physical
address). Both must be current. Acceptable forms of ID include:
photo Id Options:
■ Valid driver’s license or state non-driver’s identification card
■ Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate
identification card
■ Passport, passport card, alien registration card, or certificate of
naturalization
non-photo Id Options:
■ Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust
■ Voter or vehicle registration card
■ Home or vehicle insurance policy
note: Social Security cards, credit cards, and birth certificates are
not acceptable forms of ID.

11. Names of individuals (including members of a business) who will be receiving
mail at this (these) PO Box number(s) are listed below.
a. Residential/personal Use – Each adult listed must present two forms of
valid identification to the Post Office.
b. Business/Organization Use – Each person listed must, upon request,
present two forms of valid identification to the Post Office.
A parent or guardian may receive the mail of minors by listing their names (no ID
is required).

I was mistaken about one thing though...A Utility Bill will not work as proof of physical address.
I guess I just come across (in person) as an honest, older, white guy who's very open & honest about who & what he is...But on the flip side, the P.O. isn't the only place in town where a person can buy an address...
Posted By: Flfiremedic Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16
Can we maybe steer back to the original question, or should I repost?

Sure...we will leave it alone if you like. There has been some great information presented concerning your original request for information. Largely due to our conversation that kept bumping it back to the top from page 3 for you. smile
Posted By: norm99 Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16

I get a kick out of the ones who criticize my Fuel Mileage, "Costs a lot to Drive one of those around". I guess they don't think too clearly and I have to explain that it is parked most of the time and we Drive the Jeep around.

I love the look on their face when I ask them how much "Fuel" and "how many trips" in a "Rented Truck" it would take for them to "Move their whole Household". smile

grin cool
I have a 32' jayco Desinger 5th wheel now but i am thinking of trading it for a 35' or so toy hauler, through in my quad couple of guns if i can get stateside with them and send 6 months bugging forum guys down south look at some great country from Idaho Utah, 4 corners ,Wind river area ,South D and NEbraska, Texas, you get the idea

norm
Posted By: logcutter Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16

Like bullets we all have our favorite brands of Class A Motorhomes..Mine are:

1-Holiday Rambler

2-Fleetwood Bounder

3-Winnebago

As for the Super C's,I have always been a huge Jayco fan...I was living fulltime in a 35 ft Jayco fifth wheel by a creek when I first got the internet with jaycocreek my first internet name.(laughing)

When buying a motorhome your really buying two units,the truck and the camper.I always check the chassis just like I would a pickup and look for the same things....

While I do that,the wife goes through the camper opening every drawer/cabnet etc to make sure everything is right and last but not least,we make them show us everything works like the Air/water heater etc and especially the refrigerator, which is quite costly to fix...To many RVer's do not level the gas/electric refer which destroys the unit..It must be level for it to work properly,if not,it's a slow death.

My personal opinion is stay away from the residential refrigerators that are being put into newer motorhomes if you plan to do any boondocking..They consume a huge amount of energy requiring a big expensive battery bank with expensive solar panels or you have to run the generator quite often.

RV trader dot com is a great place to look at different RV's and with lot's of pictures..Try it,you will like it!

If the unit is second hand, check the seals around the sliders and all the windows, exhaust & intake vents for leaks, if you can, pick a cool, breezy day & see if you can detect any unwanted drafts. Turn on the furnace & make sure the blower ain't making weird noises...take a flashlight & open the ball valve on the crapper & look see if there's a visible buildup. Also make sure it holds water...same for where the dump valves are...take off the cap & make sure the valves don't leak...check for leaks of water lines & be mindful that a weakness on the floor around toilet or shower will often be the first place a problem there will show up...test the slide outs for binding when opening or closing. Check the oil in the generator if it has one & make sure it starts easily & is in good working order...ensure the storage compartments (If it has them) on the outside, lock & stay secure when you shake them...if it has an awning, unroll it & make sure the fabric & supports are in good shape...same goes for any sun shades on the outside of windows or awnings over sliders. A used coach may have very few miles on it, but may have been lived in quite a bit...I have my regular propane/electric stock refrigerator/freezer but also bought a small 110V freezer & refrigerator/freezer for stocking up on meat when I catch a good sale...the 110 refrigerator was bought because there are times when the stock unit just varies too much in temperature, so I keep it as a reserve just in case...good luck.
Originally Posted by norm99

grin cool
I have a 32' jayco Desinger 5th wheel now but i am thinking of trading it for a 35' or so toy hauler, through in my quad couple of guns if i can get stateside with them and send 6 months bugging forum guys down south look at some great country from Idaho Utah, 4 corners ,Wind river area ,South D and NEbraska, Texas, you get the idea

norm

Absolutely! Until I got stuck here trying to uproot Dad from our hundred years of pioneer heritage in this area, My wife and I did the snowbird thing for freelance Diesel tech work. North for the Summer and back down here For the Winter. A lot of Fishing, Gold Bugging, Rock Hounding and Etc. along the way. Living like this takes very minimal funds so we were able to "take our time" in life.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/06/best_tax_state_for_fulltime_rv.php

try to find a state that has its taxation system set up to your advantage.

Since it’s required that you declare a state as your primary residence, the first consideration should be whether or not they have an income tax.

while Tennessee and New Hampshire don’t have state income tax, they do tax interest income and dividends,

Let’s look at sales tax.

Property tax on houses and land is of no concern, but personal property tax will affect your RV, car, and even furniture & household possessions:

But don’t forget such things as vehicle registration and drivers licenses. These might not be called a tax, but if you have to pay a government identity, call it what you want.

Another issue is voting

Since I dont know what I'm talking about, I pulled up this link that explains some of the reasons that a physical address is required.

That is a fine article. Everyone should also read all the comments, since there are extra factors that may be important to you.

Although I am not yet into RVing myself (I'm thinking about it), I did extensive research for many months before moving back to the US and committing to focusing on setting up trusts in locations that are the most tax friendly and strongest on asset protection laws.

For those with enough assets, it can make a huge difference. These are not your "come to a hotel for a free dinner and get the sales pitch for living trusts" that are mostly a scam. They are used by big-time, high net worth families, including dozens of billionaires and families with hundreds of millions, and they work!

You can even use them for assets in other places, even foreign countries, or hard assets like gold, classic cars or art, if you move the title there. My role now is to educate people that this is really possible, and I get a small fee from the trust company I chose, which is the pack leader. Folks don't have to use me, but it costs them nothing extra to do so.

Ultimately I found that the very best of all places for that is South Dakota. It absolutely has the best laws –– and it keeps updating them to stay ahead of the pack. (My guys wrote the laws there and are on the legislative committee. ) It is also the best for those with modest assets.

Other good ones are Nevada, Alaska, Wyoming, Texas and Florida. However, each of those falls short in one way or another (often cost). Absent special personal circumstances, South Dakota stands alone as the best, most convenient and yet having modest expense.

By the way, many of those high net worth families, although certainly not all, choose to take SD residence. The key for them, though, since not all can do that, is to move title to assets into a trust that is held and administered there so it is not subject to tax, seizure or lawsuits elsewhere. It makes a huge difference for them.

If anyone needs more, shoot me an email or PM. Or look up my website.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 03/08/16

Ultimately I found that the very best of all places for that is South Dakota. It absolutely has the best laws –– and it keeps updating them to stay ahead of the pack. (My guys wrote the laws there and are on the legislative committee. ) It is also the best for those with modest assets.

Other good ones are Nevada, Alaska, Wyoming, Texas and Florida. However, each of those falls short in one way or another (often cost). Absent special personal circumstances, South Dakota stands alone as the best, most convenient and yet having modest expense.

I'm in the choir and singin' yer song!!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Anyone here into RVig? - 04/02/16
Tracey and I are in the very early stages of this discussion. We hope to skinny down and be ready to go walkabout by December of this year.

Lots of questions, largely due to little experience in the RV category.

Thinking of selling out of most everything and buying a 5th wheel camper and a 3/4 ton diesel.

Thinking we'd like to take a year or so and see some of the things we haven't had a chance to go see.
© 24hourcampfire