Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
We are looking at going fulltime due to my job...any input into various Class A DPs or Suprr Cs would be great.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What size DP are you interested in? How much do you want to spend? How many miles a year are you actually planning to use the RV?

A class A is going to give you much more room than any other RV and give you greater comfort for full time. Are you interested in New or used? If new, remember that the price tag is very negotiable. Up to 30% off list if you purchase at shows. But since most people purchase a Class A and rarely use it, a good low mileage top of the line class A can be even better. The first owner will usually add extras that will stay with the RV at no additional cost. Since you are looking at a pusher, those engines typically will last several hundred thousand miles. So a used one with under 30,000 miles will save you $100,000 or more and give you a top rated motor home.

Good luck and happy motoring.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ro1459
What size DP are you interested in? How much do you want to spend? How many miles a year are you actually planning to use the RV?

A class A is going to give you much more room than any other RV and give you greater comfort for full time. Are you interested in New or used? If new, remember that the price tag is very negotiable. Up to 30% off list if you purchase at shows. But since most people purchase a Class A and rarely use it, a good low mileage top of the line class A can be even better. The first owner will usually add extras that will stay with the RV at no additional cost. Since you are looking at a pusher, those engines typically will last several hundred thousand miles. So a used one with under 30,000 miles will save you $100,000 or more and give you a top rated motor home.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Very sound advice here ^^^

And these Engines are not even broke in until they get 50,000 or more on them.

My wife and I are fulltime. Best decision we ever made was to cut as many leashes as possible and become Nomadic. smile

Unfortunately the Government forces us to maintain a "Physical Residential address" of some fashion.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thought about the same thing.

But we decided on a 5th wheel set up. Didn't like the idea that if something went wrong with the power train, mechanics would be traipsing around our 'home'.

When you're traveling, you're driving. You don't need to go back for a sandwich.

But it's a matter of choice.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rnr
Thought about the same thing.

But we decided on a 5th wheel set up. Didn't like the idea that if something went wrong with the power train, mechanics would be traipsing around our 'home'.

When you're traveling, you're driving. You don't need to go back for a sandwich.

But it's a matter of choice.

I could understand this issue for sure. Luckily I am a Diesel Tech by trade so it is all on me if it breaks. smile The surprising thing is how little actually goes wrong with a Diesel pusher, they really are pretty reliable. I like the handling and drivability factor with the Coach.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03/06/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My job required me to live in an RV and have used them all at one time or another.

Class A's are very limited in floor plans,if you have been in one you have been in them all,it seems.Diesals are very expensive for upkeep compared to a gasser..The Class A usually does have more outside storage than other types and is better equipped for colder weather than even all the arctic packages out there with the enclosed bay area with plug in's for a light bulb or heater but if you vinyl skirt a fifth wheel or travel trailer your in the same ball park for winter.

Fifth wheels have the best livable floorplans in my opinion and the trailers are not far behind but you need a bare minimum of a heavy duty 3/4 ton and better yet,a 1 ton to pull them.

Fifth wheels lack pickup bed cargo for toys and extra's compared to a travel trailer and generally are much heavier needing a larger tow vehicle.

So many pro's and con's of each.I have lived fulltime in all and found a decked out travel trailer suited my needs best with my favorite 35ft Jayco fifth the wheel a close second only because of pickup bed cargo space for large propane bottles and gen set.

I currently have a 21 ft Class C for getting back into places you can't take a trailer(2ft longer than a pickup) or anything larger and a 30ft travel trailer we have lived in for long periods of time.

Good luck on your choice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Unfortunately the Government forces us to maintain a "Physical Residential address" of some fashion.
Hmmm. First time I've heard of that.. Explain further if you please..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck

For tax purposes... you must maintain a address that you call your home. I know a couple that RV full time and they sold their house, so they use their neighbors physical address, with the neighbors permission, of course.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

You can't even get a P.O. Box to receive Mail, a Driver's license in most States or an account at some Banks without "Proof" of a "Physical Residential address".

Since the events of 9-11 Gypsies and the Homeless are automatically considered Terrorist threats.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
We are looking at going fulltime due to my job...any input into various Class A DPs or Suprr Cs would be great.

Can't help you with the DP thing...I'm in a 42' double slider I traded the equity in the house for...Mine has "tag wheels" that make driving in the wind a lot easier and a Ford V-10 with about 90K miles (plenty of power) but I'm not towing a vehicle...I added a small 110V freezer, a 15 cu. ft. refrigerator & a "parlor" type wood stove...internet is via a verizon "jetpack", but you can also tether a cell phone to a laptop if you want to go that route...also have dish satellite for TV...Keep your gray & fresh water tanks clean, a little maint. goes a long ways in preventing build up.

I've been out of the house for a little over a year and it's great once you get used to it, but there is a learning curve...many people would be surprised at the number of people doing it "full time"...

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A post office box has always worked for me because it requires a physical address such as a mobile home park etc which usually has a street address and space number.

I once had four PO boxes at one time. I used my mobile home PO box as primary for mail and taxes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldman03

For tax purposes... you must maintain a address that you call your home. I know a couple that RV full time and they sold their house, so they use their neighbors physical address, with the neighbors permission, of course.

Boolschitt...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thought about gettin one, having Xibit pimp it out with 127 custom cages for my traveling yorkie puppy mill.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I've been out of the house for a little over a year and it's great once you get used to it, but there is a learning curve...many people would be surprised at the number of people doing it "full time"...

I get a kick out of the ones who criticize my Fuel Mileage, "Costs a lot to Drive one of those around". I guess they don't think too clearly and I have to explain that it is parked most of the time and we Drive the Jeep around.

I love the look on their face when I ask them how much "Fuel" and "how many trips" in a "Rented Truck" it would take for them to "Move their whole Household". smile

I can relocate half way across the Country right now in one Trip on 350 Dollars and be rolling out 30 minutes from now. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03/06/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Boolschitt...

That's the way it was explained to me. If its wrong, I stand corrected.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
A post office box has always worked for me because it requires a physical address such as a mobile home park etc which usually has a street address and space number.

I once had four PO boxes at one time. I used my mobile home PO box as primary for mail and taxes.

I am now in the business of setting up trusts for those who need the shelter from state and local taxes and other protections.

Most people with RVs who need a home base for tax, voting, mail, etc. currently choose South Dakota. Wyoming is also popular.

Very easy to do, but be sure to title assets there, register vehicles, register to vote, etc. to firmly establish domicile in that place. You need to defend against claims for taxes, lawsuits, etc. from other states, which often try to assert jurisdiction. There is good info about this on the Internet.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm in a 42' double slider

What kind of Class A do you have?..Love to see some pictures of it as I am cruising RV trader every day looking for the right floor plan to possibly do the same as you.Usually and I say usually,gasser's stop at about 38 feet because of the weight which the diesels handle much better.I do not want a diesel motorhome after owning a few logging trucks.

Jayco

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Boolschitt...

That's the way it was explained to me. If its wrong, I stand corrected.

No, you are absolutely correct. Taxes Too. Unfortunately this is fact. All you have to do is call your local Post Office and ask what they require to rent a P.O. Box. A Utility Bill in your Name, A Rent Receipt in your Name, A Deed that has the indication of a "Residence" included on it, Or a Property Tax Bill that Is Classified as "Residential".

To provide any false information concerning these requirements is a Felony.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by logcutter

I am now in the business of setting up trusts for those who need the shelter from state and local taxes and other protections.

Most people with RVs who need a home base for tax, voting, mail, etc. currently choose South Dakota. Wyoming is also popular.

Very easy to do, but be sure to title assets there, register vehicles, register to vote, etc. to firmly establish domicile in that place. You need to defend against claims for taxes, lawsuits, etc. from other states, which often try to assert jurisdiction. There is good info about this on the Internet.

Fantastic service this would be considering the real problem with these issues and living Nomadic!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Good info for those contemplating full time RVing..I have never had a problem in Idaho doing the same.I have know need or want to travel anywhere but here other than possibly trying Arizona for the winter just once.

Used to be a BLM permit for like $80 gave you camping privileges in the boonies for the season there..Not sure now.My dad did Yuma every year in his 5'er.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,494,008
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.