Home
Posted By: PaFrank Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you drag a rope through your barrel to "clean" it, and then drag the same rope through it again and again??

It's like using the same wad of toilet paper twice... It just doesn't work and makes a bigger mess..
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
It has brass bristles on it, and you can wash it.

I use it for quick cleaning passes, but it definately doesn't deep clean. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is a good friend of mine.

For example, I was looking at this gun at the gun shop last week and the bore was so filthy I couldn't tell if it was rusted out or pristine. A quick bore snake through it and I knew the bore was fine before I put down a dime.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Apparently a common problem (though I've never seen it) is they break while in the bore. I think it was Redneck who posted it basically ruins the barrel when they get stuck.

I find them convenient, though, when you just want to make a quick pass to ensure there's no debris in the bore. For that purpose I usually go down one size, so there's no chance of the thing getting stuck. They are easy to store, in fact I usually store a couple in the truck, for emergencies.

They don't replace a good rod, but are useful in some cases.
Posted By: poboy Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Si.
Use 'em. Three uses: like calhoun said, a quick wipe for inspection of a used rifle takes out some speculation. Secondly, as part of a wipe down after a rainy day, or day out without muzzle tape and there's some specks of crap in there. Thirdly, on rimfires and cast bullet-only stuff, also get a shot of ballistol and a pass of the snake when put up. Quick, easy.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
I like them when I'm doing load development to swab out the barrel between different powders.

When they get dirty, I wash them.

The newer Viper bore snakes are more likely to break off in the barrel than the original model. Flimsier cord and more resistance from extra embedded brushes. I won't use those.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Do you change brass brushes every time u run one down the barrel? They have their uses. I used to use them much more than I do now. But I usually have one in the shooting bag in case i feel the need to swab it quick.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Apparently a common problem (though I've never seen it) is they break while in the bore. I think it was Redneck who posted it basically ruins the barrel when they get stuck.

I find them convenient, though, when you just want to make a quick pass to ensure there's no debris in the bore. For that purpose I usually go down one size, so there's no chance of the thing getting stuck. They are easy to store, in fact I usually store a couple in the truck, for emergencies.

They don't replace a good rod, but are useful in some cases.

I actually got a stuck one out of a barrel,,,,,,, ONCE! And it was by shear luck! Redneck is right. Fubar'ed is usually the case.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
I use them in the field on ground squirrel or other high volume rodent shoots where 500+ rounds isnt uncommon. a few pulls thru the bore usually brings the barrel back to good enough.

Posted By: Pittu Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Can you explain how this would fubar a barrel? Seems if it broke, you could just push it thru with a cleaning rod???

Reason I ask is that I use them pretty regular, and never gave it a thought that it would break. Now that I think about it, you'd be either pushing a rope, or changing the direction of the brush which might scratch the bore (?)

TIA..
Posted By: jbmi Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Works great on my shotgun.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Originally Posted by PaFrank
That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you drag a rope through your barrel to "clean" it, and then drag the same rope through it again and again??

It's like using the same wad of toilet paper twice... It just doesn't work and makes a bigger mess..

I carry one when I am hunting far from home. I have never needed one but they still are going in the fanny pack.
From rifles I've seen brought in it was possibly due to the following;
( speculation on my part)

1. Wrong size bore snake
2. Adding a patch or other object to the snake
3. Broken snake pull thru rope
4. Person stopped snake 1/2 way and tried to pull snake out other direction, thus jamming the brush in bore.

Most times couldn't get a straight answer from customer. All I know is when those things a re stuck, they are stuck. tried everything to get them out. Only one I ever got out had the pull thru string broke where the brish wasn't far inside the chamber. Was able to fish and grab brush and get it out.

Seen lots of em stuck 1/2 way. Only explanation I could get was #4 above. And don't ask me why they did it. Another interesting observation was that for some strang coincident a majority of rifles with the. Stuck in bore were Browning A-bolts Or X-bolts. I think that was simply serendipitous. But we'd get 3 or 4 (assorted) firearms a year in with em stuck and we'd ship them back to mfg. Generally for a new barrel.

Edit! Thought I'd mention ive used em a bunch. Especially cleaning shotguns. I think if you use em correctly and don't let them get worn and frazzled you can be ok. Just have to be careful. Heck I think I own 3 in my field box.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
So once they get stuck, that's it???
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Jorge,
That's was our shops experience. And there were several fellas there, that as opposed to me, really knew what they were doing! wink

Bob
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Jorge,
That's was our shops experience. And there were several fellas there, that as opposed to me, really knew what they were doing! wink

Bob

I wonder if you could burn them sumbitches out? Prob just melt as I would expect them to have a good amount of nylon. Just thinking out loud....
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Yikes, I'm going to $hitcan the lot then. I can just imagine getting one stuck in my double and only yesterday, I pulled one through a 7MM tube that was a 30 cal size. There by the grace of God!
Posted By: Pittu Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Damn... I would not have thought you could get them THAT stuck in the bore! Good thing to keep in mind!!!
I didn't either. But they do. That burning them out crossed our minds too. Then we sobered up.

I will admit there were several occasions I was concerned about getting one out I had just run thrua bore.

I really quit messing with them at the shop about 3 years ago. Went back to rod and patch.

But none of that really matters now as I am no longer there! smile
Boresnakes are all I use anymore. I soak the bore over night in Wipe-out, then zip the bore with the snake. Jamming a metal rod down a bore doesn't appeal to me. They are easy to wash...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Yes, I've never had one break either.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yes, I've never had one break either.

I am guessing your Leupold's fail left, right and center?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
Nearly got one stuck recently, sweat bullets as it got progressively tighter, prayed the pull through cord wouldn't break. Reversing course when one becomes difficult sounds like the sure way to jam one to me. Trouble is that once jammed they become like Chinese handcuffs if you try to push them out. The harder you push the tighter they get, I wonder if some kind of acid would dissolve just enough of the brass bristles to free one without causing bore damage. Maybe saturating them with something really slick like wire pulling lube might be worth a try, though just thinking out loud here as I have never had to try to remove a stuck one. If the situation presented itself where I had to remove one I believe I would make up a long drill using a piece of drill rod a few thousandth below bore diameter to which I'd silver solder a drill bit approx. .015" under bore size. The thin walled remainder should be pushed out by the drill rod shank. Would probably try that approach in a junk barrel before tackling the project though.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/15/16
I think you might be on to something there Gunwizard.But instead of acid, fill the bore with Montana Extreme and let the ammonia dissolve the brass bristles on the snake. And the ME being oil based won't etch the barrel.
It will sure do a number on a brass brush or jag on a rod.
Shoot it out with a Barnes X Bullet.

They'll punch through anything!

Just in case a Democrat is reading this;

Disclaimer: This is humor. Do not actually attempt to shoot a stuck bore snake out of a barrel.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
All I use any more, quick & easy using G96 Gun Treatment.

Like them for my shotguns especially pumps and semis that I don't want to take apart due to turkey sights/slug sights.
Use them at the range and find them handy for that. For serious cleaning I use traditional rods/jags/patchs and solvents.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by PaFrank

Do NOT use those on rifles.. Shotguns? Fine...

I've had customers who've gotten 'em stuck in the bore.. Done.. New barrel time.. One was a Marlin LA - I called Marlin to see what they could do for this guy and was told, "nothing, we have to put a new barrel on it"..

Use 'em at your own risk, but I'd advise using a much safer method of bore cleaning..
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
For muzzleloaders they sell patch jags, little gizmos that have a couple pieces of wire to hook & remove stuck patches. I wonder if something similar would work for the stuck snake. Of course, better to not get it stuck in the first place smile
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
I'm not sure if I'm eternally grateful to have read this or wish I'd never opened it.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
For me a good rod and proper fitting patch and brush, as well as a bore guide. The risks involved in using a bore snake outweigh the advantages, IMO.

The one exception is expedient cleaning of lever actions, and for those I use a piece of weed wacker line with a blob melted at one end and the other end sharpened to pierce a cotton patch. Not too tight, and when the line occasionally pulls through a patch in the bore it is easy to push out with a rod. No metal stuck in the bore.

Paul
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
For muzzleloaders they sell patch jags, little gizmos that have a couple pieces of wire to hook & remove stuck patches. I wonder if something similar would work for the stuck snake. Of course, better to not get it stuck in the first place smile

Nope! Been tried! We tried everything we could think of! Redneck is spot on. We'd send em straight back to factory for new barrel.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
grin

My French is very limited, but I figured out your signature line.

As I recall, an English version goes "...and each day is a bite. Some days you get a bigger bite than others".

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
grin

My French is very limited, but I figured out your signature line.

As I recall, an English version goes "...and each day is a bite. Some days you get a bigger bite than others".

Paul

about sums it up!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
I like 'em, especially to get dust and rain out after a hunt.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
So exactly what happens? The pull cord breaks? I have been using them for years but the thought of re-barreling because of it getting stuck is not pleasant. Anybody ever contact the bore snake folks for feedback/solution?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
So exactly what happens? The pull cord breaks? I have been using them for years but the thought of re-barreling because of it getting stuck is not pleasant. Anybody ever contact the bore snake folks for feedback/solution?

They're hard to pull out backwards...but it can be done. smile I've never noticed any difference after I did.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Try Otis. It is a coated cable that pulls a brush or jag with a patch. Same concept, but a much better design.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/697209/otis-rifle-cleaning-kit-all-caliber

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Go back and read my post above. I will admit that I felt that a good 85-90% of the problems caused were by improper use of the device. However there does remain that 10-15% chance.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
Like them for my shotguns especially pumps and semis that I don't want to take apart due to turkey sights/slug sights.
Use them at the range and find them handy for that. For serious cleaning I use traditional rods/jags/patchs and solvents.

Same here on my dedicated turkey guns. Several passed through a polished barrel, and it is good to go.

I would never use one on my rifles.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
I do not use them for general cleaning - but they are good for a quick swipe at the shooting bench or in the rare instance of moisture/crud in the barrel while hunting. To help avoid trouble, I simply use one size smaller than the bore. Never in the .17 Rem.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Try Otis. It is a coated cable that pulls a brush or jag with a patch. Same concept, but a much better design.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/697209/otis-rifle-cleaning-kit-all-caliber

This. I use the Otis system in my lever and shotguns w/ confidence, no washing required.

mike r

Posted By: efw Re: Bore Snakes.... use em? - 03/16/16
Wow this is interesting stuff thanks for the feedback.

I've used em on a handgun (Redhawk 44 mag) shotgun & ML just to clear em of big chunks & moisture not for real cleaning and they seem great.

Gonna practice extra caution now...
Been using them for years on my shotguns, love them. Priceless for when you get back to the truck after a rainy morning in the duck blind.
Never seen a need for them on a handgun.
I haven't owned a rifle for the past 30 years but when I get one I'll remember not to use one on it.
© 24hourcampfire