Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PaFrank Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you drag a rope through your barrel to "clean" it, and then drag the same rope through it again and again??

It's like using the same wad of toilet paper twice... It just doesn't work and makes a bigger mess..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It has brass bristles on it, and you can wash it.

I use it for quick cleaning passes, but it definately doesn't deep clean. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is a good friend of mine.

For example, I was looking at this gun at the gun shop last week and the bore was so filthy I couldn't tell if it was rusted out or pristine. A quick bore snake through it and I knew the bore was fine before I put down a dime.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently a common problem (though I've never seen it) is they break while in the bore. I think it was Redneck who posted it basically ruins the barrel when they get stuck.

I find them convenient, though, when you just want to make a quick pass to ensure there's no debris in the bore. For that purpose I usually go down one size, so there's no chance of the thing getting stuck. They are easy to store, in fact I usually store a couple in the truck, for emergencies.

They don't replace a good rod, but are useful in some cases.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Si.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use 'em. Three uses: like calhoun said, a quick wipe for inspection of a used rifle takes out some speculation. Secondly, as part of a wipe down after a rainy day, or day out without muzzle tape and there's some specks of crap in there. Thirdly, on rimfires and cast bullet-only stuff, also get a shot of ballistol and a pass of the snake when put up. Quick, easy.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like them when I'm doing load development to swab out the barrel between different powders.

When they get dirty, I wash them.

The newer Viper bore snakes are more likely to break off in the barrel than the original model. Flimsier cord and more resistance from extra embedded brushes. I won't use those.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you change brass brushes every time u run one down the barrel? They have their uses. I used to use them much more than I do now. But I usually have one in the shooting bag in case i feel the need to swab it quick.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Apparently a common problem (though I've never seen it) is they break while in the bore. I think it was Redneck who posted it basically ruins the barrel when they get stuck.

I find them convenient, though, when you just want to make a quick pass to ensure there's no debris in the bore. For that purpose I usually go down one size, so there's no chance of the thing getting stuck. They are easy to store, in fact I usually store a couple in the truck, for emergencies.

They don't replace a good rod, but are useful in some cases.

I actually got a stuck one out of a barrel,,,,,,, ONCE! And it was by shear luck! Redneck is right. Fubar'ed is usually the case.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use them in the field on ground squirrel or other high volume rodent shoots where 500+ rounds isnt uncommon. a few pulls thru the bore usually brings the barrel back to good enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you explain how this would fubar a barrel? Seems if it broke, you could just push it thru with a cleaning rod???

Reason I ask is that I use them pretty regular, and never gave it a thought that it would break. Now that I think about it, you'd be either pushing a rope, or changing the direction of the brush which might scratch the bore (?)

TIA..

Last edited by Pittu; 03/15/16.

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Works great on my shotgun.

"The older I get, the better I was"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by PaFrank
That makes no sense to me at all. Why would you drag a rope through your barrel to "clean" it, and then drag the same rope through it again and again??

It's like using the same wad of toilet paper twice... It just doesn't work and makes a bigger mess..

I carry one when I am hunting far from home. I have never needed one but they still are going in the fanny pack.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
From rifles I've seen brought in it was possibly due to the following;
( speculation on my part)

1. Wrong size bore snake
2. Adding a patch or other object to the snake
3. Broken snake pull thru rope
4. Person stopped snake 1/2 way and tried to pull snake out other direction, thus jamming the brush in bore.

Most times couldn't get a straight answer from customer. All I know is when those things a re stuck, they are stuck. tried everything to get them out. Only one I ever got out had the pull thru string broke where the brish wasn't far inside the chamber. Was able to fish and grab brush and get it out.

Seen lots of em stuck 1/2 way. Only explanation I could get was #4 above. And don't ask me why they did it. Another interesting observation was that for some strang coincident a majority of rifles with the. Stuck in bore were Browning A-bolts Or X-bolts. I think that was simply serendipitous. But we'd get 3 or 4 (assorted) firearms a year in with em stuck and we'd ship them back to mfg. Generally for a new barrel.

Edit! Thought I'd mention ive used em a bunch. Especially cleaning shotguns. I think if you use em correctly and don't let them get worn and frazzled you can be ok. Just have to be careful. Heck I think I own 3 in my field box.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/15/16.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So once they get stuck, that's it???

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Jorge,
That's was our shops experience. And there were several fellas there, that as opposed to me, really knew what they were doing! wink

Bob

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Jorge,
That's was our shops experience. And there were several fellas there, that as opposed to me, really knew what they were doing! wink

Bob

I wonder if you could burn them sumbitches out? Prob just melt as I would expect them to have a good amount of nylon. Just thinking out loud....

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yikes, I'm going to $hitcan the lot then. I can just imagine getting one stuck in my double and only yesterday, I pulled one through a 7MM tube that was a 30 cal size. There by the grace of God!

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/15/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn... I would not have thought you could get them THAT stuck in the bore! Good thing to keep in mind!!!

Eat moose, burn spruce
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I didn't either. But they do. That burning them out crossed our minds too. Then we sobered up.

I will admit there were several occasions I was concerned about getting one out I had just run thrua bore.

I really quit messing with them at the shop about 3 years ago. Went back to rod and patch.

But none of that really matters now as I am no longer there! smile

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/15/16.

Founder

WS

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Boresnakes are all I use anymore. I soak the bore over night in Wipe-out, then zip the bore with the snake. Jamming a metal rod down a bore doesn't appeal to me. They are easy to wash...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,584
Posts18,510,986
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.