Home
Any tips or suggestions for declaring a handgun when traveling by air? This will be a first for me. I have a small Pelican hard side case that I used to use for a camera that I plan to use. One box of cartridges should be plenty. Thanks for any tips.
Just declare it at check in and make sure you have no ammo in the same case with the handgun
I have a small Pelican hard side case that I used to use for a camera that I plan to use.

As long as its lockable, and can't be pried open on any side more than 1/4 inch when locked.
I've never declared a handgun. With a rifle I had the ammo in the same case.

The rules are pretty clear on the TSA website. Check the particular airline site too.

Follow the rules to the letter and don't be a "latrine lawyer" with the TSA and airline folks and you'll be fine.
It's easy. I've done it twice. In Seattle, with Alaska Air, they just gave me a slip saying it had been checked in. They didn't open the gun case. In Anchorage, on the return trip, they gave me the slip but sent to me a separate TSA checkpoint where they opened everything and ran the sniffer over my luggage.
Either way, don't make any dumb comments. Keep your mouth shut. Anything you say can be taken as 'not a joke' and attract the TSA's interest.
Ammunition must be packed securely in a proper ammunition holder - what it is packed in is important, whether it's a flimsy original paperboard box or a plastic or metal ammo holder; but it may not be packed loose. The Feds don't care if it's in the same case as your firearm however. Check with the specific airline for more details. 50 pounds of ammo is okay on domestic flight; 11 international. Some carriers only allow 11 pounds on any of their flights.

Make certain you declare both. Also be sure to have a lock on that Pelican case.
Just be certain that if you have a layover in some gun-free place like NY or NJ, that you leave the case to the tender mercies of the baggage people. More than one person has been arrested when they returned to the airport after spending the night in the city with their luggage. Common sense doesn't apply in these cases.
Originally Posted by bea175
Just declare it at check in and make sure you have no ammo in the same case with the handgun

In Texas they wanted the ammo in the same locked case as the pistol and the pistol CANNOT be loaded. I'm pretty sure it was like that everywhere in the USA when I flew last. The baggage clerk will have you open your baggage and unlock your gun case so she can verify that the pistol is unloaded. She'll fill out a form that you sign and send you to TSA to check your baggage. Just check the latest TSA rules before you pack and make sure your destination allows you to posses a pistol. Nothing to it.
Don't do like the guy in Boise some years ago. He was demonstrating that his gun was unloaded and shot a hole in the baggage scale.
Also be aware that some places consider a loaded magazine packed with a handgun to be the same as a loaded gun. The Peoples Republic of Maryland is one such place.
Good stuff, thanks all. There are 2 locking points (1 on each corner) on the case, so I will have to get 2 locks and make sure they snug up to prevent the case from opening the 1/4" in a corner.

My destination is VERY gun friendly.
I've flown with firearms a dozen or more times always on Alaska airlines and have had a total of zero problems or headaches. I recommend using TSA locks or you could be forced to go back to the baggage checkin and unlock it for inspection.
"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

^From the TSA website.^

TSA locks don't meet this requirement.

You might get away with it, but be prepared otherwise.
I've flown with both kind of locks and not been questioned. Bastards made me buy tsa locks; I'm going to use em grin
Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances...
I believe they changed it because their employees were thieving bastards grin
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I believe they changed it because their employees were thieving bastards grin

It has more to do with ensuring a constant state of confusion. Very few of the people that are supposed to know, actually do. Printouts from the agencies who were ordained to make your life miserable can serve to minimize the headaches.
it's just the opposite of kindergarten

tell and show

don't get it reversed

last trip outside I'd gone to the farm and took my old first gun for spin

sure enough I used my lil backpack to throw the extra ammo in there

yep a box of .22 ammo tried to make it through the scanner.

embarrassed? possibly
Not all TSA agents seem to follow the rules the same. I checked a handgun in Erie a cuppla years ago. The lady told me to do the self check-in and I leaned forward and whispered, "I can't. I'm traveling with a firearm." She rolled her eyes and told me to wait.

In Erie they checked to make sure my .44 Mag S&W 629 was unloaded. They closed it, locked it, put an orange card on it, closed my suitcase and told me to lock it. They asked me to take it to the X-ray which was right beside the check-in desks, and to tell the man running it where the firearm was inside the bag.

Coming back from Boise they swabbed everything and locked the orange card inside the gun case. I told them it should be on the outside so that anyone can tell it has been checked without breaking the case open. He disagreed.

That makes no sense. If the orange card indicates the firearm has been checked, it should be on the outside of the gun case.

But cooperate, and you'll be OK.

Steve.
The card always goes inside the locked case after its been checked by TSA. Nobody else should know or needs to know.
Originally Posted by Brazos
"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

^From the TSA website.^

TSA locks don't meet this requirement.

You might get away with it, but be prepared otherwise.

Trust me. I fly with firearms all over this country, TSA locks can mean the difference between making a flight and missing a flight depending on how TSA does it at that airport.

So the TSA approved locks are ???.....collectible?lol
TSA locks are not "collectibles", neither were they intended for gun cases, where they violate the TSA rules.

I too have flown all over the country with firearms and carry both kinds of locks with me, just in case I run upon a TSA inspector who plays by the rules.

lol......
Like I said depending upon the airport you may not be present when TSA checks your case. If that happens and your case is locked you WILL be called back to the counter, required to open the case for TSA, have to go back thru security to get to your gate. I carry 2 sets of locks but only use TSA locks for the last 5 years. TSA recommended I switch and I did. None of my locks are combination locks so that's moot and the word "should" in your quote is not a definitive but rather a suggestion.

Flying out of Seattle is not a problem because of the way TSA is set up here but other airports are different and that's when TSA approved locks can make a difference.

What's the purpose of TSA locks if not so the TSA can check your bags without cutting your locks or baggage? I've always taken a second set of keyed alike locks just in case and still do but have never needed them.
Do I buy TSA locks before heading to the airport? Get them there? Confused on the lock issue...
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Do I buy TSA locks before heading to the airport? Get them there? Confused on the lock issue...

I have and use both, and carry both just in case; but have never been asked to change them. Just make sure they are not too big so as to allow that case be opened more than a quarter inch.
Has been a few years since flying with firearms but I picked up a pack of 4 master locks keyed alike and left 2 inside my guncase in a ziplock bag with an easily seen note asking TSA to use those locks to secure my case if the other locks needed to be cut. Last couple times TSA did not open and inspect my case in my presence but said they just xrayed and sniffered them. Started running a heavy wire-tie down the barrel of pistols and out the action so it was obvious they were unloaded.
Buy the TSA locks before you go to the airport. They have a red diamond on them indicating that they're TSA approved.
Before using TSA approved locks I was called back to the counter in New Orleans after going through TSA security, they just wanted me to unlock it so it could be checked I didn't miss my flight but it was a lot of hot, humid unnecessary running around. I was a little pissed since it never happened before and the guy was real friendly and said just use TSA locks and you won't have to worry.
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.
Guys, thanks for the info. I'll be flying with a handgun soon and will attempt to actually get my schidt together before then.
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Has been a few years since flying with firearms but I picked up a pack of 4 master locks keyed alike and left 2 inside my guncase in a ziplock bag with an easily seen note asking TSA to use those locks to secure my case if the other locks needed to be cut.

Exactly the way I do it!

I also keep TSA locks in the case if that is what they want.
Like Brazos, I put the rifle and the .454 along with their ammo in a large Pelican case. The 10X50 binos were in there also. I took a photo of the open case for insurance purposes.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Like I said depending upon the airport you may not be present when TSA checks your case. If that happens and your case is locked you WILL be called back to the counter, required to open the case for TSA, have to go back thru security to get to your gate. I carry 2 sets of locks but only use TSA locks for the last 5 years. TSA recommended I switch and I did. None of my locks are combination locks so that's moot and the word "should" in your quote is not a definitive but rather a suggestion.

Flying out of Seattle is not a problem because of the way TSA is set up here but other airports are different and that's when TSA approved locks can make a difference.

What's the purpose of TSA locks if not so the TSA can check your bags without cutting your locks or baggage? I've always taken a second set of keyed alike locks just in case and still do but have never needed them.

I think we are arguing the same side Aces. I'm just reluctant to advise someone to ONLY take TSA locks with them.

The purpose of TSA locks was to allow the TSA to open normal luggage, not gun cases.

Regards and happy traveling.
It says not to use TSA locks last time I looked.

We've been flying with guns to AK since our honeymoon in 95. I've NEVER used a TSA lock on a gun case. I've never used a non tsa lock on our other baggage

I've NEVER had an issue.
Originally Posted by Pugs
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?
Y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate everyonea input.
It doesn't say firearms should be unloaded it says must be. Keys and combinations don't say must be it says should be. Allowing TSA access to check the firearm is the law and there are easy ways of accomplishing that and there are more difficult ways. TSA locks are simply the easy way of accomplishing that.
Y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate everyonea input.

Have a safe trip!
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I have and use both, and carry both just in case; but have never been asked to change them. Just make sure they are not too big so as to allow that case be opened more than a quarter inch.

If I fly through a new airport that I haven't flown before I have non TSA locks on the outside and TSA locks on the inside in case the TSA agent has no clue, which is frequently the case. That way you are covered either way.

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?

So I should give them the combo to the locks if I don't use keyed locks? Do what you wish. I don't want to show up at the other end with an empty case.

I've traveled with a firearm many times and in only one case have I had to go back to open it. That's why I get to the airport early if traveling to hunt.
Originally Posted by bea175

I do it all the time... Loaded magazines and ammo box in the case with the pistol.... So long as you have the Blaze orange "Firearm Not Loaded" tag in the case and the slide locked to the rear I've never had a problem...
The couple times I've flown with a gun I've zip-locked it open like you see at a gunshow. Not required and I don't know if it actually helps but I figure it might make some non-gun person feel better about the "unloaded" part.

So I should give them the combo to the locks if I don't use keyed locks? Do what you wish. I don't want to show up at the other end with an empty case.

Is that really your understanding of how TSA locks work? I understand we all have different experiences which forms our opinions and I'll continue with the system that's worked dozens of times and the one recommended by the TSA themselves.

Is that really your understanding of how TSA locks work? I understand we all have different experiences which forms our opinions and I'll continue with the system that's worked dozens of times and the one recommended by the TSA themselves.

I have TSA locks. I just don't use them on firearms. A million miles + on 2 airlines, Suspect I've dealt with TSA more than you. I simply can't see it a good plan to give anyone access to my firearms other than me.
Do you really want to keep pushin' this Aces?

The "system" you are using was recommended by a TSA agent, NOT the TSA. Big difference. Glad it works for you, but when someone asks for advice I'll tell them to look at the website and follow the rules.

TSA locks were developed for luggage, NOT gun cases.
Airline I last used wanted the ammo packed separately. Just find out what they want and have a good trip!
Originally Posted by okie
Airline I last used wanted the ammo packed separately. Just find out what they want and have a good trip!

My conclusion with the TSA, as usual with every thing that the Federal Government regulates, the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing. Go ask 10 different post office employees about shipping guns (I have an FFL BTW) and you will get 10 different answers.

Thanks again guys! This gives me a lot of base line info.
3+ million miles on United, nee Continental, 1.5+ million on Delta, nee Northwest, internationally a metric fook ton more on Air Canada, BA, Singapore, Garuda, Philippines, KLM, Emirates. Qatar, Qantas, Copa, etc, etc.

I fly every week, and if going to a location domestically where I don't have a company apartment, and thus a CC firearm stashed there, I check a handgun. The conundrum is: read the CFR regulations as well as the TSA website. TSA locks are not approved for firearms cases by the letter of the law. The problem is that 99.999999999% of airline gate agents and TSA inspectors don't know the rule of law, nor their own airline rules and regulations.

The answer is; as other have said: Lock your handgun case with a solid key lock, and inside of it have both keyed copies of said, and TSA approved locks should some of the brain dead become the walking dead and try to think for themselves..

Works for me several dozen times per year...
If you want to be sure there is a master key out there....and you know it will be more than just TSA agents who will have them...use a uniformed lock like a TSA lock. Just stating what seems obvious.
Just drive.
Don't do what posters here say they have done.

Do what the airline and TSA rules require.

ALWAYS take a copy of the rules with you. Some airline employees don't know their own rules.

You can buy TSA locks at a hardware store. Use them.

Put two spare locks that use the same key inside the case with a note asking them to reinstall them if they cut the outside locks for any reason (they're not supposed to).

For international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks and you MUST keep ammo in a separate locked case. That case can be inside your luggage but not the case with the firearm in it. I suspect that domestic rules with handguns are the same.

I have had them not inspect my rifle at all and, another time, look at the back of the bolt, without opening it, to see if it was "loaded." Be courteous but don't expect them to know anything. If you get hassled, pull out the rules. If still hassled, politely ask to see their supervisor.
Originally Posted by Journeyman
3+ million miles on United, nee Continental, 1.5+ million on Delta, nee Northwest, internationally a metric fook ton more on Air Canada, BA, Singapore, Garuda, Philippines, KLM, Emirates. Qatar, Qantas, Copa, etc, etc.

I fly every week, and if going to a location domestically where I don't have a company apartment, and thus a CC firearm stashed there, I check a handgun. The conundrum is: read the CFR regulations as well as the TSA website. TSA locks are not approved for firearms cases by the letter of the law. The problem is that 99.999999999% of airline gate agents and TSA inspectors don't know the rule of law, nor their own airline rules and regulations.

The answer is; as other have said: Lock your handgun case with a solid key lock, and inside of it have both keyed copies of said, and TSA approved locks should some of the brain dead become the walking dead and try to think for themselves..

Works for me several dozen times per year...

This looks like it will cover all bases. Will print out regs too. Thank you.
Indy: Please provide the regulations for your comment : "international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks" so I can "Do what the airline and TSA rules require". I don't want to "do what posters here say they have done".
Just expect that sooner or later, someone will get it wrong, and have plenty of patience ready to deal with it.

I was once in line behind an FBI agent, going through a security checkpoint, and I watched her quietly draw aside the TSA employee, showing her ID. She said, "I'm an FBI agent, and I'm traveling with a handgun in my bag." The TSA rep said, "No problem, just put your bag through the scanner."

It promptly set off alarms and security personnel swarmed in.

I won't repeat her comments (they weren't exactly ladylike).
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Don't do what posters here say they have done.

Do what the airline and TSA rules require.

ALWAYS take a copy of the rules with you. Some airline employees don't know their own rules.

You can buy TSA locks at a hardware store. Use them.

Put two spare locks that use the same key inside the case with a note asking them to reinstall them if they cut the outside locks for any reason (they're not supposed to).

For international travel with rifles, you MUST use TSA locks and you MUST keep ammo in a separate locked case. That case can be inside your luggage but not the case with the firearm in it. I suspect that domestic rules with handguns are the same.

I have had them not inspect my rifle at all and, another time, look at the back of the bolt, without opening it, to see if it was "loaded." Be courteous but don't expect them to know anything. If you get hassled, pull out the rules. If still hassled, politely ask to see their supervisor.

This^^^^^ is precisely how I have done it dozens of times and how I'll do it in the future. I don't know how many of the million milers that fly on Dubai and UAE Air check their firearms but every time I fly it have at least 2 firearms. I'll continue using TSA locks with a spare set in the case and I'll continue to open these threads and attempt to give folks advice that has worked and worked smoothly. From there folks can do as they wish. But once again "should" doesn't mean "must" and TSA locks are made for a reason. That reason is to access the contents without having to cut the locks and possibly delay or prevent the on time arrival of your firearms. Everyone's mileage will vary...
When my buddy bought his tuff case the factory rep suggested that he opt for them to install TSA locks on the rifle case. In his experience (hundreds or thousands of cases) the TSA locks were the only way to insure that that case makes it to the same location without delay. My buddy, like some on here, didn't like the idea of the buffoons being able to access his cases so he went with non TSA locks. Guess what? His (expensive) case was destroyed by TSA and it caused him a lot of unnecessary frustration. The TSA supervisor told him to order his next case with TSA locks installed. When the agency charged with making and enforcing the rules is as inept as the TSA there is a lot of room for interpretation and that's evident on this thread. There is more than one way to skin a cat....
When I started this thread I had no damn idea........

Thanks again for all the first hand experience. That's what I was after and I will be prepared when I fly this summer for the first time with a handgun.
I have hundreds of airline trips with firearms under my belt, and I agree with just about everybody on this thread. The fact that everybody is saying different things accurately reflects the ignorance of the law and regulations of most airline and TSA personnel.

At this point I transport a handgun in a locked hard-sided case, with a non-TSA padlock (keyed). The ticket agent gives me my declaration card and I put it on the outside of the hard case, usually with a piece of clear tape to keep it there. I lock the case, close my suitcase, then lock my suitcase with a TSA combination lock. Occasionally a ticket agent will insist I put the declaration card inside the hard case. I never argue with them, and I don't bother to show them the regulations. I don't think they can read.

When transporting a long arm(s) I use a Pelican case with four lock-points, and I bring 4 TSA locks and 4 non-TSA locks. In Dallas, they'll insist you use the TSA locks. In Milwaukee, they'll insist on the non-TSA locks. Everywhere else it varies. You need both kinds to satisfy the TSA agent in front of you. I don't think they can read either.

Just bring both kinds of locks and then do what they tell you to do, unless they tell you to do something you know is going to get you arrested or guarantee your bag will be stolen.

In Miami one time the ticket agent had me lock my suitcase and then she took out a piece of paper and wrote "GUN" on it with a magic marker and taped it to my suitcase. I told her, "Ma'am, you just committed a federal felony. You'd best take that off." She bristled and said she was gonna make trouble for me. In short order a Miami cop and an airline supervisor showed up. The GUN sign was removed and she left with her supervisor with a very red face.

I will say that since they started the current system, I've never had a bag with a gun in it stolen or permanently lost. So that's a positive, I guess.
Someone lets the cat out of the bag. You get to where you are going and there is no firearm. Do you get insurance to cover your firearm or luggage?
Couple suggestions after traveling extensively with a sidearm.

Regardless what the rules are, be prepared to deal with a gate agent or TSA employee that doesn't know the rules. I got to where I printed off the TSA regs and those of the airline I was flying on in case I ran into someone on a power trip and demonstrably wrong in what they were demanding of me or demanding me to do.

I have the exact same pelican case as you described. One thing I do differently than many is that once I have gotten through the gate procedures (some simply make you sign the tag while I've had a few require me to show the firearm is unloaded), placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm) I lock the case on one corner with a lock that is very snug and won't allow the case to be pried open at all. Then I use one of the many phony cable locks that come with guns and I lock the case to the inside my luggage. I pack my firearm in a bag that is a roller and I have exposed the framework of the expandable handle. I run the cable around it and then through the second hole in the corner of the case.

Your pelican case can be incredibly resistant to breaking into. But it is very transportable and very little to keep an airline or TSA employee from opening your luggage, grabbing the firearm case and taking it to work on opening later in the convenience of their home.
"placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm)"
Sac: Why would you want a blaze orange firearms tag on the outside of your firearms case? Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.
Originally Posted by bobmn
"placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm)"
Sac: Why would you want a blaze orange firearms tag on the outside of your firearms case? Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.

OP is asking about flying with a sidearm. I responded in kind, about flying with a sidearm

If you would read the rest of my post, you will see that the case was then placed inside my luggage. And it was locked to the framework of my luggage. So there was no blaze orange "Steal Me" tag on the outside of my luggage.

It's been several years, but none of the times that I've flown with a firearm, sidearm or long gun, have they had me put the orange "steal me" tag on the outside of the case. It's ALWAYS been on the inside. That's at both Baltimore and Jackson Hole.

We always think flying with a firearm is going to be a big deal, but the truth is the ticket agents and the TSA see this stuff everyday. They may not know what the company policy is but it really isn't that big a deal for them. Be flexible about it, unless they're asking for something REALLY stupid. Give yourself plenty of time at the airport for check in and security and you'll be fine.
how do you declare a handgun at the airport?

if a Marine:

"This is my gun, there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

grin
So, do y'all keep the handgun case in a suitcase when approaching the counter and tell them you are declaring a gun or do you carry the handgun case outside the suitcase and then put it in after receiving the declaration card?

I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Someone lets the cat out of the bag. You get to where you are going and there is no firearm. Do you get insurance to cover your firearm or luggage?

I have coverage with my homeowners policy that covers any possessions in transit or at any temporary domicile. Your Ins co. probably covers you as well. Give them a call and ask?

This has been an informative and educational thread. I don't fly as much as I used to. On the couple of occasions that I have traveled with a handgun I used the tsa locks. Had no issues as of yet, but I can recognize a better way when I see it.

Flying later today for a funeral. Thanks...
Alaska Airlines:

All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination.

That said I agree with Ace in that the 'should' part of it isn't a MUST.

That said, it's obvious the intent and if someone WANTS to use TSA locks, more power to them. It's also obvious from the above from Alaska Airlines, that they don't want you using TSA locks either.

I've flown with firearms a dozen or more times always on Alaska airlines and have had a total of zero problems or headaches. I recommend using TSA locks or you could be forced to go back to the baggage checkin and unlock it for inspection.

I've never and never will use a TSA lock on a gun case. I"ve never been called back, but would go quickly rather than risk someone else being able to open em...

Whats amazing, you land in anchorage and they require your ID and then hand you the case..

Land in anti gun austin coming home the case is laying ont he floor for anyone to grab over in the oversize luggage area when I finally figured it all out....
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

I keep mine locked in the gun case. I unlock the case for TSA if they want to see, but I go in locked, and unlock it to put the card in and then lock it again. Means I need the access keys pretty handy...
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Don't do like the guy in Boise some years ago. He was demonstrating that his gun was unloaded and shot a hole in the baggage scale.

We gun owners are our own worst enemies, aren't we?? eek
[Linked Image]
I don't understand your response Rost495
question:
So, do y'all keep the handgun case in a suitcase when approaching the counter and tell them you are declaring a gun or do you carry the handgun case outside the suitcase and then put it in after receiving the declaration card?

Answer:I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.
If you have to travel with the gun this time but you decide ti's too much hassle to ever do it again, just walk into the airport and say in a loud voice: "I've got a gun and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

You might also want to reassure them that you are a man of faith by adding ; "Alahu Akbar!"

Have an exciting trip!
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I don't understand your response Rost495
question:

Answer:I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

You are right, in a hurry I didn't read that well.

Regardless i'd keep it in the gun case,and in hte suitcase, open it to put the tag in the case, and take it to TSA and then lock it after they are done again.
You have to communicate with TSA though, he its unlocked, after you are done, I need to lock it again...sometimes they ain't to swift...
Got it.
I just try to keep it as non accessible as I can, regardless the fact I can walk in as a concealed carry guy legally.

The more I show the folks that don't have a clue, that I couldn't get to it, use it very easily, the more relaxed folks seem to be.

Although I give AK air credit, they are as relaxed about guns, game meat, fish etc... as anyone I"ve ever flown with.
I think it's a blast to see all the folks open carrying in the airport during hunting season. Mostly guides and outfitters just in from camp dropping off hunters. Hardly anybody looks twice so long as they don't approach the departures checkpoint too closely.
© 24hourcampfire