Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brazos
"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

^From the TSA website.^

TSA locks don't meet this requirement.

You might get away with it, but be prepared otherwise.

Trust me. I fly with firearms all over this country, TSA locks can mean the difference between making a flight and missing a flight depending on how TSA does it at that airport.

So the TSA approved locks are ???.....collectible?lol

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TSA locks are not "collectibles", neither were they intended for gun cases, where they violate the TSA rules.

I too have flown all over the country with firearms and carry both kinds of locks with me, just in case I run upon a TSA inspector who plays by the rules.

lol......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Like I said depending upon the airport you may not be present when TSA checks your case. If that happens and your case is locked you WILL be called back to the counter, required to open the case for TSA, have to go back thru security to get to your gate. I carry 2 sets of locks but only use TSA locks for the last 5 years. TSA recommended I switch and I did. None of my locks are combination locks so that's moot and the word "should" in your quote is not a definitive but rather a suggestion.

Flying out of Seattle is not a problem because of the way TSA is set up here but other airports are different and that's when TSA approved locks can make a difference.

What's the purpose of TSA locks if not so the TSA can check your bags without cutting your locks or baggage? I've always taken a second set of keyed alike locks just in case and still do but have never needed them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do I buy TSA locks before heading to the airport? Get them there? Confused on the lock issue...

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Do I buy TSA locks before heading to the airport? Get them there? Confused on the lock issue...

I have and use both, and carry both just in case; but have never been asked to change them. Just make sure they are not too big so as to allow that case be opened more than a quarter inch.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has been a few years since flying with firearms but I picked up a pack of 4 master locks keyed alike and left 2 inside my guncase in a ziplock bag with an easily seen note asking TSA to use those locks to secure my case if the other locks needed to be cut. Last couple times TSA did not open and inspect my case in my presence but said they just xrayed and sniffered them. Started running a heavy wire-tie down the barrel of pistols and out the action so it was obvious they were unloaded.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Buy the TSA locks before you go to the airport. They have a red diamond on them indicating that they're TSA approved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Before using TSA approved locks I was called back to the counter in New Orleans after going through TSA security, they just wanted me to unlock it so it could be checked I didn't miss my flight but it was a lot of hot, humid unnecessary running around. I was a little pissed since it never happened before and the guy was real friendly and said just use TSA locks and you won't have to worry.

Last edited by AcesNeights; 05/21/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock."

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guys, thanks for the info. I'll be flying with a handgun soon and will attempt to actually get my schidt together before then.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Has been a few years since flying with firearms but I picked up a pack of 4 master locks keyed alike and left 2 inside my guncase in a ziplock bag with an easily seen note asking TSA to use those locks to secure my case if the other locks needed to be cut.

Exactly the way I do it!

I also keep TSA locks in the case if that is what they want.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Like Brazos, I put the rifle and the .454 along with their ammo in a large Pelican case. The 10X50 binos were in there also. I took a photo of the open case for insurance purposes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Like I said depending upon the airport you may not be present when TSA checks your case. If that happens and your case is locked you WILL be called back to the counter, required to open the case for TSA, have to go back thru security to get to your gate. I carry 2 sets of locks but only use TSA locks for the last 5 years. TSA recommended I switch and I did. None of my locks are combination locks so that's moot and the word "should" in your quote is not a definitive but rather a suggestion.

Flying out of Seattle is not a problem because of the way TSA is set up here but other airports are different and that's when TSA approved locks can make a difference.

What's the purpose of TSA locks if not so the TSA can check your bags without cutting your locks or baggage? I've always taken a second set of keyed alike locks just in case and still do but have never needed them.

I think we are arguing the same side Aces. I'm just reluctant to advise someone to ONLY take TSA locks with them.

The purpose of TSA locks was to allow the TSA to open normal luggage, not gun cases.

Regards and happy traveling.

Last edited by Brazos; 05/21/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It says not to use TSA locks last time I looked.

We've been flying with guns to AK since our honeymoon in 95. I've NEVER used a TSA lock on a gun case. I've never used a non tsa lock on our other baggage

I've NEVER had an issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs
I don't doubt you've done it with TSA locks but in what is a rare clear government directive.

I got called back in Feb to open a shotgun case that has integral locks but that's the way it is.

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate everyonea input.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It doesn't say firearms should be unloaded it says must be. Keys and combinations don't say must be it says should be. Allowing TSA access to check the firearm is the law and there are easy ways of accomplishing that and there are more difficult ways. TSA locks are simply the easy way of accomplishing that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate everyonea input.

Have a safe trip!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I have and use both, and carry both just in case; but have never been asked to change them. Just make sure they are not too big so as to allow that case be opened more than a quarter inch.

If I fly through a new airport that I haven't flown before I have non TSA locks on the outside and TSA locks on the inside in case the TSA agent has no clue, which is frequently the case. That way you are covered either way.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Pugs

I do keep the key. Must be and should are not interchangeable. You're accepting a suggestion as law, which is incorrect. What are TSA locks for?

So I should give them the combo to the locks if I don't use keyed locks? Do what you wish. I don't want to show up at the other end with an empty case.

I've traveled with a firearm many times and in only one case have I had to go back to open it. That's why I get to the airport early if traveling to hunt.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,936
Posts18,518,996
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.