Home
Posted By: Steelhead Hoe - 05/29/16
Cakes. Seemed a good first breakfast for the new kitchen countertops. Cooked the bacon first then cooked the hoecakes in the bacon fat.

I also love hoecakes with cracklins mixed in and a big pot of greens.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mathman Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Someone already ate the other four slices of your bacon.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
I ate 2 of them whilst cooking the hoecakes.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Now that is the way to start the day!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Homade hoe cakes! laugh

Can't beat that with a stick!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Got maple syrup?
Posted By: Alagator Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
For all of you who have never had real cane syrup...Steen's is a bit of Louisiana heaven in a can or bottle. It is pure bliss on cat-head biscuits, buttermilk pancakes, french toast, hoe cakes, or my personal Creole brunch favorite pain perdu ...
[Linked Image]

You can order it direct from Steen's and get free shipping and the best price on the internet. I just ordered the four-pack of 25 oz cans, since they don't carry it in my local grocery here in southwest Oregon. grin
http://www.steensyrup.com/Merchant2...;Store_Code=STEENS&Category_Code=SYR
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Invention of ALABAMA!!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Help a Yankee out,

What are hoe cakes made from?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Learned something new today.
Never knew they had a name other than just, "fried cornbread".
Love fried cornbread!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by Alagator
For all of you who have never had real cane syrup...Steen's is a bit of Louisiana heaven in a can or bottle.

You can order it direct from Steen's and get free shipping and the best price on the internet. I just ordered the four-pack of 25 oz cans, since they don't carry it in my local grocery here in southwest Oregon.

My local HEB carries Steen's cane syrup. It's a bit burnt/bitter tasting to me so I don't like it that much on my pancakes etc, but I absolutely love it as a coffee sweetener.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Doctor still lets you eat bacon at your age? smile
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
whats the difference in hoecakes and pancakes?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Steen's is wonderful stuff!
Posted By: BMT Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnycake

Wiki to th rescue.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by BMT

thanks

so a cornbread pancake?
Yeah, fried cornmeal 'pancake'

Make a mix an put fresh cracklins in it, mmmmmmmmm good, especially with a plate of greens.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Hoecakes were named after Sheitheads mama.
Originally Posted by mirage243

You still have all those mom issues after watching her turn tricks in your mobile home.
Posted By: g5m Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Looks like a darned good meal and very nice countertop.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You still have all those mom issues after watching her turn tricks in your mobile home.

Your mama earned her name in my double wide.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
You are making my mouth water.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Hoe - 05/29/16

That's about as classless as it gets. Speak ill of a man's daughter, wife, or mother and it reflects on you, not them.
Originally Posted by 4ager

That's about as classless as it gets. Speak ill of a man's daughter, wife, or mother and it reflects on you, not them.

Good reminder for Steelhead.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Any/all of us.

Hell, Scott doesn't even like me and I know enough to respect him enough to NOT insult or impugn his mother, his wife, or his sister (or his daughter, if he was ever lucky enough to have one).

Who posted that?

I know. As I told you before, I didn't have a mother, my father and I shared yours.

Who posted that?

Tennessee never disappoints.

Who posted that?

I didn't start it, but I'll happily finish it for you. Want to sent me more PM's asking if I'm investigating your wife, you stupid SOB

Who posted that?

I didn't start it, but I'll happily finish it for you. Want to sent me more PM's asking if I'm investigating your wife, you stupid SOB

There it is, the true color.
That's right, you can start what you wish, but I can't say anything back.

Remember Oregon never disappoints? I do. Who started that Scott?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Hoe - 05/29/16
That bacon is simply a garnish. I like about 1/2 lb on my plate. I do eat eggs, waffles, cakes, etc, but they are mostly just a reason to ingest bacon. Attractive pic though.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hoe - 05/30/16
Remember Oregon never disappoints? I do. Who started that Scott?

Yeah, crickets.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Hoe - 05/30/16
To understand the origin of "hoecakes", you'd have to know that a "hoe" is NOT the little tools with a stem that's inserted into a wooden handle.

A hoe is a big blade with an eye that a handle fits thru. I could walk outside and take a picture of one, but you can google "eyehoe" more than likely.

Come dinnertime, our colored brethern who were chopping cotton slipped the handles out of their hoes and mixed some cornmeal, bacon fat, and water together into a cake which they cooked on the hoe over a fire made from last years cotton stalks.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Hoe - 05/30/16

After 5 years and 17,000 post surely you've seen enough of Sheitheads post to know why a comment like that is justified.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Hoe - 05/31/16
Originally Posted by BMT
WHAT? You mean to say YANKEES invented that?? Poor Scott - he's throwing up even as he sees that..

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Hoe - 05/31/16
Let's see more more of the new kitchen!
Posted By: kingston Re: Hoe - 03/27/17
As I told you before, I didn't have a mother, my father and I shared yours.

Classic!
Posted By: shootem Re: Hoe - 03/27/17
What a sad, sick, sorry example of innanet childishness on display. Can't run a simple topic of interest without petty grudge posts blocking the view. Small people, small feelings and small lives. Starting to remember why I gave up on this place for so long.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Hoe - 03/27/17
Cakes. Seemed a good first breakfast for the new kitchen countertops. Cooked the bacon first then cooked the hoecakes in the bacon fat.

[Linked Image]

The bacon looks quality. Of course, anybody who's seen my pic knows I could eat about a pound of them slices myself. That's the problem, eating them whilst cooking other stuff and being full before getting the other stuff done.

You need some cheesy grits for it to be proper though.

Them hoecakes is also called flannel cakes.

Blackburn of Jefferson, Texas makes some awesome syrups.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Hoe - 03/27/17

[Linked Image]

I've never eaten Hoe Cakes (this thread might change that), but I did love the mash potato hotcakes my grandma used to make.

I broke my son in early on Buckwheat pancakes and he loves 'em............and bacon of course.

I don't eat anything green until maybe lunch, but likely supper.

My Grandpa was born and raised in TN, and swore that Poke Salad made good greens. He had a brother mail him some seed to grow a patch in his garden. He was proud of that patch, and it was always a topic of conversation with summer guests. You can take a man from the South, but not the South from the man.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
My folks were from the south and we always called the Johnny Cakes, I like them with Honey!
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Looks good, Scott!
Posted By: hanco Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Looks good to me
Posted By: milespatton Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
My Grandpa was born and raised in TN, and swore that Poke Salad made good greens.

I like most greens but not poke, although I ate a lot of it as a child. Back then you ate what was put on the table. Beware that it is poison unless cooked. miles
Posted By: meatsanta226 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

Funny, youre the only actual person on this thread that lives in a 12 ft wide, 40ft long spam can. With a rotting wooden porch add-on deck for your 7 azz licking dogs.

All within the confines of your crawfish floodplain 1/4 acre lot. Retirement bliss on $1300 a month.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by milespatton
My Grandpa was born and raised in TN, and swore that Poke Salad made good greens.

I like most greens but not poke, although I ate a lot of it as a child. Back then you ate what was put on the table. Beware that it is poison unless cooked. miles

Miles,

You could have picked some while you were here last week if you wanted! It's already past knee high in the bottom here!!! laugh

I always laugh when I see someone using a wood adze as an eye hoe in a movie! Makes me cringe. Like using your good knife as a screwdriver!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Six thick slices is about a normal serving for me, plus maybe one more if I'm doing the cooking.

I prefer homemade blackberry syrup on my hotcakes though (on my ice cream too!).
Posted By: milespatton Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Like using your good knife as a screwdriver!

I have seen both of which you mentioned. I learned right quick about loaning my knife when I went to work at the AHTD. Some people should never touch a knife. miles
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by meatsanta226

Funny, youre the only actual person on this thread that lives in a 12 ft wide, 40ft long spam can. With a rotting wooden porch add-on deck for your 7 azz licking dogs.

All within the confines of your crawfish floodplain 1/4 acre lot. Retirement bliss on $1300 a month.

Sweet, mirage243's incest spawned brother is back.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

I worked for a local truck farmer from 12 until I could drive. He raised cabbage, kale, turnip greens, mustard, etc. Anytime he was taking a load of whatever to the farmer's market he was always happy to take Poke Salad that any of us boys had cut to sell and he'd bring cash back to us. He never brought any Poke Salad back. He said black folks always bought it all.

My grandfather liked it and I ate it with him several times but I didn't like any greens then...might like it better now.

Good post Scott. It's been a LONG time since I've had hoe cakes. I need to remedy that.
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
I ain't eating poke weed.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Wifey would have yard sales here in the bottom. Neighborhood black folks would drop by and see all the poke salat in the bottom and ask if they could pick some. Naturally they was always welcome! Good folks!!!
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
I think my Grandpa kept Poke mostly for the memories and a tie to his past/the South. He came from a large, poor family and left home by age 12 to find work. Joined the Army during WWII and discovered Oregon while training before shipping to Europe.

I'm sure he ate his share of Poke, whether it actually tasted good or not.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

[Linked Image]

Counter looks great and breakfast also!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Got a can of Steen's on the shelf for when I want something a little different. I like it a lot, but, for me, it's just not on the same planet as maple syrup.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I worked for a local truck farmer from 12 until I could drive. He raised cabbage, kale, turnip greens, mustard, etc. Anytime he was taking a load of whatever to the farmer's market he was always happy to take Poke Salad that any of us boys had cut to sell and he'd bring cash back to us. He never brought any Poke Salad back. He said black folks always bought it all.

My grandfather liked it and I ate it with him several times but I didn't like any greens then...might like it better now.

Good post Scott. It's been a LONG time since I've had hoe cakes. I need to remedy that.

You lift too many heavy weights to eat too many greens. laugh
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

After 5 years and 17,000 post surely you've seen enough of Sheitheads post to know why a comment like that is justified.

Only on the 24hr fire can grown men turn a delicious breakfast (with Bacon) into an unsavory food fight.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by shootem
What a sad, sick, sorry example of innanet childishness on display. Can't run a simple topic of interest without petty grudge posts blocking the view. Small people, small feelings and small lives. Starting to remember why I gave up on this place for so long.

I'm with YOU 110%.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
This thread has more hurt pussy than Hillary Clinton on 11/9/16.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
This!
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
This!

For the record, not referring to Steelie.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

[Linked Image]

Counter looks great and breakfast also!

THIS!
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

Go fuuck yourself, been a while since I've told you that. I've kinda missed it.
Posted By: CrackerJack723 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

Go fuuck yourself, been a while since I've told you that. I've kinda missed it.

Wow this got classy quick. Someone f**k someone's wife and not pay her, or what? Coupla internet tough guys.
Posted By: add Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Of hoe cakes and insults.

24hr breakfast of champions!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Hoe - 03/28/17

I ain't eatin Poke Salad either. How does cooking it get the poison out if it? I never understood that.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
When cooking poke, it's recommended to change out the boiling water twice before you get to the "real" cooking w spices or meats. Sorta pour away the toxins after they are drawn out. That's what my grandma taught me anyway. May be several methods.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Haven't had poke in years. Need to look some up in Turkey season. We always cooked it twice, then cover it with cheese sauce and ate it like asparagus. It will make you crap, I always wondered if that was toxins or fiber.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
The hoe cakes look delicious. Re Poke Salad, come on you guys, there is so much real food, I am not about to try to boil the poisen out of something so I can eat it.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Hoe - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The hoe cakes look delicious. Re Poke Salad, come on you guys, there is so much real food, I am not about to try to boil the poisen out of something so I can eat it.

Same here. My Mom was from Mississippi and my Dad from Tennessee, both born farm kids during the depression. I remember hearing them talk about eating poke salad and my grandmother seemed to actually like it. Turnip greens were a luxury for them. When you're worrying about where your next meal will come from I guess you'll eat anything. Not for me though, I'm not eating what's basically a poisonous weed. I bush hog down what seems like an endless supply of that stuff around my place in the summer. If the North Koreans invade and I have to go live in the woods to evade them then I might think about it, until then I'll stick to better stuff.

If you've got ancestors that came from southern farm families I guarantee they ate a lot of that stuff.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by gunner500

Ha! I don't turn my nose up at much food but greens have never been a favorite.

Posted By: milespatton Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Re Poke Salad, come on you guys, there is so much real food, I am not about to try to boil the poisen out of something so I can eat it.

Used to be an old Doctor down around Humphrey, Ar. that said that any person that ate two messes of Poke in the spring, He would treat them the rest of the year for free. Not only an early spring food back when green stuff was scarce, some folks looked at it as a spring tonic. Same with Sassafras tea. I recall that you should dig the roots in Jan. before the sap started rising. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
I know that Steens syrup is a favorite around here, but I was raised on Sorghum molasses and I still favor them. We could not raise Sugar Cane this far North with any success. miles
Posted By: Alagator Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
I know that Steens syrup is a favorite around here, but I was raised on Sorghum molasses and I still favor them. We could not raise Sugar Cane this far North with any success. miles

I was raised with the best of both worlds. We grew sugar cane in the Alabama River bottomlands, but if you journeyed a little northwest of Birmingham, they made some fine sorghum syrup up on Sand Mountain (when they weren't too busy handling serpents and drinking poison). I like them both. What I can't abide is that sugar water/corn syrup/ artificial flavor and color goop that fills the grocery shelves.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by gkt5450
When cooking poke, it's recommended to change out the boiling water twice before you get to the "real" cooking w spices or meats. Sorta pour away the toxins after they are drawn out. That's what my grandma taught me anyway. May be several methods.
Thanks. Now I'll know if I'm ever having to mix up something to go with the dog meat.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Re Poke Salad, come on you guys, there is so much real food, I am not about to try to boil the poisen out of something so I can eat it.

Used to be an old Doctor down around Humphrey, Ar. that said that any person that ate two messes of Poke in the spring, He would treat them the rest of the year for free. Not only an early spring food back when green stuff was scarce, some folks looked at it as a spring tonic. Same with Sassafras tea. I recall that you should dig the roots in Jan. before the sap started rising. miles

I made some Sassafras tea just last year. It's getting hard to find the trees around here now.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Now they touting sassafras as a carcenogen!!

Bastids!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by gunner500

Ha! I don't turn my nose up at much food but greens have never been a favorite.

LOL, same/same, I eat more than I want just for the good in them.
Posted By: lastround Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
My Grandmother used to cook Poke and another weed called "doc or dock". Not sure how it is spelled or if it is just a weed specific to this area of the country. Anyway, she washed, put both in a pot, and cooked it all day. Seasoned with some fatback, it wasn't bad. A drop or two of vinegar helped.

I've also had some great turnip greens with cracklin' cornbread served with honey or maple syrup at Stan's Restaurant in Columbia, Tn. Thinking it might be worth the trip again.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by lastround
My Grandmother used to cook Poke and another weed called "doc or dock". Not sure how it is spelled or if it is just a weed specific to this area of the country. Anyway, she washed, put both in a pot, and cooked it all day. Seasoned with some fatback, it wasn't bad. A drop or two of vinegar helped.

I've also had some great turnip greens with cracklin' cornbread served with honey or maple syrup at Stan's Restaurant in Columbia, Tn. Thinking it might be worth the trip again.

That's funny Doug, the wife and I have eaten at Stan's and we loved the cracklin cornbread too. I make it about once a year.

We talked about making the drive over there again too.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
I love me some cracklins in cornbread, just not with syrup on top.

How about some good middlin meat? I love it fried or cooked in a big pot of pintos. Add the cracklins and cornbread and you have a feast!!!

Y'all realize broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and even cabbageand such from
That family all have a toxin in them? Ever meet anyone that just can't stick those veggies in their mouth because of the bitter taste they perceive? That's the old toxin marker that is in some folks DNA! It's been mutated out of most of us. But some folks still pick it up!! Way back when it was all allegedly toxic to most humans? I dunno why they kept eating it. Hungry I guess?

Archaeologist son explained it to me. I may not have explained it quite as well as he does. But that's the main gist.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by lastround

It's Sourdock, I'll bet. A group used to travel down the Little a Wichita River close to its mouth in Lake Arrowhead once the crappie started spawning. There were three or four families camping out of their boats for a couple days.

They had a pot of greens on the campfire and said it was Sourdock. They showed me the plants which grew right next to the water. I wish I had hung around to eat with them but I was busy fishing.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
My wife was the first I ever heard call them ho cakes when my brother inlaw married into the family he called them civil war biscuits
Originally Posted by earlybrd
My wife was the first I ever heard call them ho cakes when my brother inlaw married into the family he called them civil war biscuits

Not to be confused with hardtack! laugh
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
I make corn cakes like this just about every morning. Boil extra water when I make coffee and mix with corn flour and salt to make a thick batter. When the bacon is done I spoon the batter into the pan.When the cakes get flipped the 1st time they get flattened a bit. Eggs get cooked last. If I'm out of bacon I will use coconut oil. This is the only "bread" I eat anymore. Can't eat the crap they sell in the stores and I don't like making yeast breads, would rather be outdoors having fun.

I use masa harina flour. Works pretty good.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Well Scott, after hijacking your thread with Pokeweed discussion, he's me dragging it back onto the tracks.

I browned a pound of bacon, then fried 15 (4") cakes in the drippings. The family is now well fed, and the house smells great.

Thanks for the cultural enlightenment. wink
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hoe - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I love me some cracklins in cornbread, just not with syrup on top.

How about some good middlin meat? I love it fried or cooked in a big pot of pintos. Add the cracklins and cornbread and you have a feast!!!

My Granny, MIL and Wifey make cracklin cornbread and biscuits, DAMNIT MAN is all I can say! smile
© 24hourcampfire