Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
This is clearly an unequal contest. The LC has more clearance, better tires, and apparently a locker in at least 1 end, maybe both. They say right at the start that the Jeep's tires are bald.
The Jeep's owner has more money to spend on tearing up his rig than I care to spend.

Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
that wasn't much of an exercise in terms of real mud, real knarly conditions.
i have a multiptude of flat fender jeeps, and a fj40 cruiser.
i would put that fj40 up against any jeep. few years ago i was pulling out of a real long steep canyon mud up to the axles and was smirking as i went around some of the new 4x4trucks buried in the mud where they didn't get ten feet.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I had 4.5" of lift and 31's on two diff XJ's.
No sway bars either......drove fine at 80MPH (squirrely as a Wrangler LOL).

Beat the hell out of them, loads of fun.
One died at 225 K the other around 285K.
Latter reborn with full widths and Chevy 350.
Actually saw it driving around a week or so ago.

Good old boy network of Jeep parts is no more. Expensive to tear stuff up nowadays.

Trails are mean, but mud is meaner. That crap jacks all the electrical. Stay out of the mud and things should go better. If you do mud, like trail mud (no pits).........do no pressure washer engine area when done.

Jeep dealership says that's proly the #1 cause of stuff coming in.

I might buy another ZJ tomorrow.
Can yank the doors off this one then.... [Linked Image]

Bud got his Liberty CRD stuck yoting. Tried several times to get unstuck. No go. I asked if I could try and he thought I was being a smart ass. About a minute later.....unstuck.

I think we didn't even need the heater on the way home, his face so red.....

Lockers are great, but then you air down and try tougher stuff and trash more $$$$$ Mild lift, decent tires, open diff.......you can do a lot. Depends on what you know and how little you care too wink
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Had a Jeep...had a TLC.....I'd get another TLC.
All the crap JP magazine says you'll break, you will.
Even if you just are a moderate wheeler.

Lockers and other help, but then make you break more expensive stuff.

LOL
Know guys that built rock buggies. Go anywhere rigs.
Said they sold them because they weren't fun.

Only can run with other rigs of same.
Put it in low and they go anywhere.

No challenge on most trails. The fun/challenge was just in the build.
I wouldn't wheel anything that costs over 5K.
Risk of a total too high.
$2500 is even better smile

Jeep, cheap mods, beat it up, throw away in 2 yrs and get another.

But I have seen guys running Zukes......Trackers cut up with 31's.........beatin the hell out of them. Looked like they were having a ball!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I've owned both. Jeeps (mine was a TJ) are unmatched in terms of wheelbase, other than Zuk's or really old LC's at least. The straight-six they used to put in Jeeps before they pussified them was a fantastic off-road engine. I had my TJ regeared to 4.11 and with that torque monster engine, it was like an electric motor. Almost impossible to stall it in anything short of extreme wheeling.

My LC was a '95 w/o a locker and my opinion was and remains that it was the finest automobile ever built. The folks at Toyota refined the drivetrain and chassis for decades and engineered and built them to last forever. Nothing lasts forever, but they tried, and the vehicle exuded quality at every turn. That why they still run and look so good 20+ years later. The I-6 engine they used was no slouch. The AWD system was old-school and amazing. They were built like a tank (mine died saving my life).

HOWEVER, the longer wheelbase by neccessity greatly decreased the break over angle and agility, compared to a Jeep.

I miss my jeep. I miss the LC, but I sure don't miss the 11 mpg.
I will take an Old School Cool Land Cruiser every time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dpd Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Toyota FJ 40 hands down. I had two of them . 72' & 74, Also had a 79' CJ 7. Land cruisers rule!!! Built like tanks and would go almost anywhere. Stil kicking myself for selling my 74' cruiser.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I owned a Jeep.....ONCE!

I came to the conclusion that Jeep should offer a lifetime supply of Preparation H to all their customers!!

I've rode broncs that were a helluva lot better on my azz!!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I owned one of those Cheorkees for a while, not bad. Better tires and a better driver would have helped.

I've also had Wranglers. If you absolutely have to have a shorter wheel base they are OK after spending lots of $$$$ on modifications.

I wish I'd have bought one of the Land Cruisers back in the 70's.

I have an 07 Tacoma right now that is no longer my daily driver. I plan some slightly larger,more aggressive tires and a mild lift. It is by far better than the Jeeps I've owned. The long wheel base is a disadvantage in some spots, an advantage in others.
Posted By: kingston Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I've got a 1979 FJ40. My brother has Jeeps (CJ7 and 2x CJ8s). I wouldn't trade my FJ40 for all three of his Jeeps!
Posted By: BigNate Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I've had five Jeeps. Two CJ5's, a CJ2a, a ZJ, and still have a JKRU.

I like the JKRU, never owned a LC, but for trail riding it doesn't much matter. The fun is in challenging yourself as a driver to make the rig do all it can. My choice today would be a Scout.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Owned a couple of CJ's....sold em and dug a big hole in the back yard that I go out and throw money in when ever I get the hankering for another...

Been driving a Toyota's since 87 and haven't looked back....
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
i have what is refered to as a 10/72 fj40. except it's been lifted a little, has a 70engine, that is the chevy straight six by the way with headers and a weber intake probably doing about 180hp, 4.11 axles, and i put a 4speed with a compound low in it. It's pretty knarly I also have good tires on it. its got the later ambulance doors and other modifications.
it kind of waddles through mud as most of the weight is in the front. Two gas tanks too so it runs a long time.
i was going to put a/c in it, power steering, and disc brakes, but never got around to doing it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
I work with a guy who thinks his Cherokee will go through anything. Between him and this guy, their iq's total 7.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
My dads old Wagoneer was weighted 60/40 front/rear and that dude there would push snow over the hood until it piled up on the windshield. It was an impressive climber too.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Had a 65' FJ40 over 20 years, two tanks, full roll cage, VW buckets, but when it got real rough you wanted the original spring seat back, all the skid plates, 1/4" C-channel for a front bumber, Warn 8K winch.

It never left me stranded, not once.

In a way I wish I would have kept it longer, but parts had to be mail ordered and about half the time they sent the wrong part, and my Tacoma TRD does about all I do in a 4X4 anymore.

Had a 66' Bronco for a while, sold it, kept the FJ40.

What I have seen and compared over the years, jeeps aren't built near as stout as the land Cruisers were.
Older CJ's were a tad shorter, and narrower and that was their only advantage I ever saw.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Not really a fair comparison. One built for world market, one built for the US.

That said, the Jeep Rubicon is badass for a factory 4x4.

The best 'cruisers are not available for purchase in the US, Toyota still makes a 70 series with a diesel, manual, and straight axles with selectable lockers.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/18/16
Land Cruisers sold in Australia and some other places are built tougher that what was sold in the US market, have read, and heard that.
Two CJ5's a CJ7, two XJ, one ZJ, a WJ and a Liberty (old lady drives it).

Like the ZJ best for overall use and deer fetching.

CJ5 was an absolute blast to drive in town. Half a tank of gas (no more) and no passenger, I could spin it on a dime. Boss said he rarely saw it on 4 wheels LOL.

I burned several sets of tires off 'em.

Problem is.........ice. Those bad boys don't care how careful or good a driver you are. One second everything is cool, the next they bite you in the azz.

Aint nothing you can do but try t ride it out, pull vacuum and hope you stay inside, on the seat.

Death machines they were.

Fun as heck.
Jeep Rubicon TJ Unlimited (2 door) set up like a Scrambler would be my ideal hunting/fun rig.

They want waaaay too much for them.

Also ridiculous what they want for a new Wrangler.
The new Jeep pickup for 2017 should sell like hotcakes.
There was a FC just north of town for sale.
That'd be a cool one to rat rod/pimp out.
But I thought it was a bit too far gone.

Somebody restored one, seen it. Dark green........looked like a little Unimog. Too cute.
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
We've got an early 90's grand Cherokee and a mid 90's Mitsubishi Montero.

The mits runs circles around that Jeep.

My old Mazda b2600 was another that blew away all the Jeeps and Fords and junk. They get stuck in a snow drift with their big fancy and my little rusty pos hunting truck pull them out.

Jap stuff is best.

Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Didn't take me long to figure out my fj40 would kill me before I would kill it. ;-{>8
Posted By: BMT Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Simple 4wd pickup and common sense has worked best for me.

CJ7s were Fun in my youth though!
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Not sure what year models the guys were running in that video, but I've owned both. My Cherokee was an 87 model and was a good vehicle. I currently own a 97 Lexus LX450 which is a LC with a Lexus badge, and is exactly like the one in the video. There is no comparison between the two. My Lexus is a tank! I can relate to the earlier comment about gas mileage, though. Mine gets about 12-13mpg.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Not sure what year models the guys were running in that video, but I've owned both. My Cherokee was an 87 model and was a good vehicle. I currently own a 97 Lexus LX450 which is a LC with a Lexus badge, and is exactly like the one in the video. There is no comparison between the two. My Lexus is a tank! I can relate to the earlier comment about gas mileage, though. Mine gets about 12-13mpg.

[Linked Image]

My FJ40 gets 9 MPG. LOL
Posted By: sidepass Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
If and only if it could haul and stop my horse trailer loaded. Will be curious what they finally bring to market.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by 700LH
Land Cruisers sold in Australia and some other places are built tougher that what was sold in the US market, have read, and heard that.

That might well be true. I know that the Tacoma was designed as a softer alternative to the Hilux sold here. More emphasis on comfort, less on being "unbreakable".

Cruisers are very popular here, both as work trucks on mines, farms etc or for hard-core off-road use (usually 70 series, or 75 Series) and as big comfy wagons to take the kids to school or grey nomads around the country. They really seem to be a vehicle that will go anywhere and keep on going, and they also have support just about everywhere. I've driven a few different ones, to some pretty gnarly places, and you see them, in all sorts of models, all over the place.

Jeeps are sold here too.
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

HOWEVER, the longer wheelbase by neccessity greatly decreased the break over angle and agility, compared to a Jeep.

Our little mits has an attitude indicator.

Cracks me up every time I look at the dash!
It thinks it's an airplane!
smile

Posted By: MistWolf Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/19/16
Had an XJ sitting on 35s with about 6 inches of lift, lockers front & rear. Very capable rig. Chassis was lighter and stiffer than the similarly equipped Toyotas I encountered on the trail. The unibody chassis of the Cherokee gave it better stability when the axles drooped out and it had one or two tires dangling in the air. She always got us there and back
Posted By: benchman Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/20/16
I have a Hummer H3. The Jeep guys hate it the most, but I think everybody pretty much hates it. Seems pretty capable off road, but I'm no down and dirty offroader. I would think it's as good as the L C. Suppose it depends on what you need.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/20/16
Off to look at another ZJ.
Last yr, but not with the 360.
Just a 318.

Might leave it stock so the kid can drive it.

During summer shutdown I might just fire up the grill and get a couple cases of beer and swap my lift and tires over.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Jeep vs Land Cruiser - 06/20/16
No air tools, takes me about 6 hrs to do a lift.
Assuming no "show stoppers".

Kroil is king.
© 24hourcampfire