-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 65' FJ40 over 20 years, two tanks, full roll cage, VW buckets, but when it got real rough you wanted the original spring seat back, all the skid plates, 1/4" C-channel for a front bumber, Warn 8K winch.

It never left me stranded, not once.

In a way I wish I would have kept it longer, but parts had to be mail ordered and about half the time they sent the wrong part, and my Tacoma TRD does about all I do in a 4X4 anymore.

Had a 66' Bronco for a while, sold it, kept the FJ40.

What I have seen and compared over the years, jeeps aren't built near as stout as the land Cruisers were.
Older CJ's were a tad shorter, and narrower and that was their only advantage I ever saw.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not really a fair comparison. One built for world market, one built for the US.

That said, the Jeep Rubicon is badass for a factory 4x4.

The best 'cruisers are not available for purchase in the US, Toyota still makes a 70 series with a diesel, manual, and straight axles with selectable lockers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Land Cruisers sold in Australia and some other places are built tougher that what was sold in the US market, have read, and heard that.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Two CJ5's a CJ7, two XJ, one ZJ, a WJ and a Liberty (old lady drives it).

Like the ZJ best for overall use and deer fetching.

CJ5 was an absolute blast to drive in town. Half a tank of gas (no more) and no passenger, I could spin it on a dime. Boss said he rarely saw it on 4 wheels LOL.

I burned several sets of tires off 'em.

Problem is.........ice. Those bad boys don't care how careful or good a driver you are. One second everything is cool, the next they bite you in the azz.

Aint nothing you can do but try t ride it out, pull vacuum and hope you stay inside, on the seat.

Death machines they were.

Fun as heck.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/18/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Jeep Rubicon TJ Unlimited (2 door) set up like a Scrambler would be my ideal hunting/fun rig.

They want waaaay too much for them.

Also ridiculous what they want for a new Wrangler.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The new Jeep pickup for 2017 should sell like hotcakes.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There was a FC just north of town for sale.
That'd be a cool one to rat rod/pimp out.
But I thought it was a bit too far gone.

Somebody restored one, seen it. Dark green........looked like a little Unimog. Too cute.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got an early 90's grand Cherokee and a mid 90's Mitsubishi Montero.

The mits runs circles around that Jeep.

My old Mazda b2600 was another that blew away all the Jeeps and Fords and junk. They get stuck in a snow drift with their big fancy and my little rusty pos hunting truck pull them out.

Jap stuff is best.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Didn't take me long to figure out my fj40 would kill me before I would kill it. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Simple 4wd pickup and common sense has worked best for me.

CJ7s were Fun in my youth though!

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure what year models the guys were running in that video, but I've owned both. My Cherokee was an 87 model and was a good vehicle. I currently own a 97 Lexus LX450 which is a LC with a Lexus badge, and is exactly like the one in the video. There is no comparison between the two. My Lexus is a tank! I can relate to the earlier comment about gas mileage, though. Mine gets about 12-13mpg.

[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Not sure what year models the guys were running in that video, but I've owned both. My Cherokee was an 87 model and was a good vehicle. I currently own a 97 Lexus LX450 which is a LC with a Lexus badge, and is exactly like the one in the video. There is no comparison between the two. My Lexus is a tank! I can relate to the earlier comment about gas mileage, though. Mine gets about 12-13mpg.

[Linked Image]

My FJ40 gets 9 MPG. LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If and only if it could haul and stop my horse trailer loaded. Will be curious what they finally bring to market.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 700LH
Land Cruisers sold in Australia and some other places are built tougher that what was sold in the US market, have read, and heard that.

That might well be true. I know that the Tacoma was designed as a softer alternative to the Hilux sold here. More emphasis on comfort, less on being "unbreakable".

Cruisers are very popular here, both as work trucks on mines, farms etc or for hard-core off-road use (usually 70 series, or 75 Series) and as big comfy wagons to take the kids to school or grey nomads around the country. They really seem to be a vehicle that will go anywhere and keep on going, and they also have support just about everywhere. I've driven a few different ones, to some pretty gnarly places, and you see them, in all sorts of models, all over the place.

Jeeps are sold here too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

HOWEVER, the longer wheelbase by neccessity greatly decreased the break over angle and agility, compared to a Jeep.

Our little mits has an attitude indicator.

Cracks me up every time I look at the dash!
It thinks it's an airplane!
smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
M
Had an XJ sitting on 35s with about 6 inches of lift, lockers front & rear. Very capable rig. Chassis was lighter and stiffer than the similarly equipped Toyotas I encountered on the trail. The unibody chassis of the Cherokee gave it better stability when the axles drooped out and it had one or two tires dangling in the air. She always got us there and back

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Hummer H3. The Jeep guys hate it the most, but I think everybody pretty much hates it. Seems pretty capable off road, but I'm no down and dirty offroader. I would think it's as good as the L C. Suppose it depends on what you need.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Off to look at another ZJ.
Last yr, but not with the 360.
Just a 318.

Might leave it stock so the kid can drive it.

During summer shutdown I might just fire up the grill and get a couple cases of beer and swap my lift and tires over.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No air tools, takes me about 6 hrs to do a lift.
Assuming no "show stoppers".

Kroil is king.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 43 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,320
Posts18,505,818
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.