Home
Posted By: Steelhead Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Is it possible for a kid to eat a PB&J sandwich or eat gluten (I honestly don't know WTF gluten is, and I don't care) without their head swelling up like a Casaba melon?

My SIL told my wife that they went to a birthday party with my niece. Non-gluten and no nuts (obviously)

Good Lord, I ate dirt when I was a kid. My dad told me I was allergic to eggs when I was young. The doctor told him, keep feeding him eggs in small amounts.

I don't get it. Hell, I about have to do a full body scrub when I walk into my SIL house before I'm allowed to get near a kid. I watched her spin out of control when her 86 year old grandmother would was her hands prior to touching one of our nieces.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
It would appear to be very fashionable to have some manner of broad spectrum food allergy these days, or to be a germaphobe, or OCD about it all.

I told my folks I was allergic to beans and liver.

They didn't believe me.

Now Im traumatized....
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
you should be traumatized about the beans, staff of life. As to the liver, not so much.
You relatives are doing the kids a huge disfavor, ask doc rockett. I think he probably would say that's how you build up antibodies.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I'm a firm believer in "expose 'em to everything". Whether it worked or not is arguable, but Connor has no food issues, etc. Despite my getting him around animals all the time, his rabbits bother him some.

All the bleach, cleaner, hand sanitizers, etc. aren't doing kids any good, IMHO.

George
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I guarantee the damned Democrats are at the bottom of the peanut allergy debacle.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
We are getting so sterile now that it won't take much to blow over lots of folks house of cards.

Kids should be kids.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
My kids haven't found anything they can't eat. Quantity seems to be the only limiting factor.

If you ever find out what a gluten is, I'd like to know.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Isnt a gluten someone who eats too much????

Or is that glutton????

Gents I don't get it either.

Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
John travolta was a germaphobe.
So much so he killed his own son while still a baby.

Dopey bastard.
Must have taken the line "I'm so confused" as Vinnie boberino a little too seriously.

F all that noise.
I say eat drink and be merry!

And enjoy a cigar, while you're at it.

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Isnt a gluten someone who eats too much????

Or is that glutton????

Gents I don't get it either.

I thought it was a muscle on a person's ass.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
There's much money to be made in "Gluten Free", in the same vein as Global Warming...
Corn isn't meant to be consumed in mass quantities.

We're not chickens pigs or cows.... until the sweet corn is in smile

Then I'm a pig. Digestion be damned!

Soda pop with corn = bad.
Sugar is far less harmful.

C'm on you guys... Read.
Resources are out there.

Grain is for alcohol.
Be merry.
Don't pour it into you OR your internal combustion engines, because that's just stupid.

Posted By: mathman Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
There's much money to be made in "Gluten Free", in the same vein as Global Warming...

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I grew up on a Missouri farm. No blacktop roads for five miles or so, growing up. My "playground" was a 240 acre farm, with hog lots (pigs had free run of that lot, even) and cow pastures surrounding the place.

Row-crop fields in the creek bottoms, the only flat spots, really. I ran up and down the bean and cornrows, ran barefoot thru cowcrap, and was all over the 10 acre hoglot north of the house.

Never been allergic to anything that I know of.

My uncle, UP the road two miles, had a dairy farm, cow crap everywhere, and my other uncle, two miles DOWN the road, had several hog lots, too. I liked the hog lots best, the pigs kept the weeds and brush knocked down, so we could run wild.

Kept me out of trouble, though. I ran around with a .22 rifle practically permanently attached to my arm. I'm sure the neighbors thought it was attached......
Posted By: TheKid Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I have a little boy who's almost 9 months old. Momma works late and Saturday unfortunately, which means that me and him spend tons of time together after I get off work and on weekends.

This is our first kid and of course my wife is the typical first time mom who's paranoid about everything from allergies to the boogerman and any other rare disease or disorder in between. I on the other hand have no such affliction having a good memory of what I did and ate as a child that didn't kill, maim, nor even hurt me.

I have been feeding the boy people food since he was 2 months old now, give a 3 month old a pickle spear sometime and see how much enjoyment they get out of it. I'm cautious about choking hazards obviously, no popcorn or jawbreaker candy but otherwise he eats what I eat. And finally Momma is coming around to the idea that he isn't allergic to everything under the sun and that it's actually easier to feed him what we eat than to make something special or buy baby food.

You should see the reaction I get from other young parents when I tell them about the remedy my Grandmother gave me for when an infant gets constipated. Give them a bottle full of equal parts Dr Pepper and prune juice, they love the stuff and it will get the plumbing going again like pronto. Had one lady about faint when she heard, she figured Dr Pepper would instantly give a tot diabetes or maybe even death.

Sometimes it's fun raising a kid the old way in the new day. smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Hell, my parents rubbed Whiskey on my gums when I was teething.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
My kid enjoys eating chicken feed straight out of the feeder chickens use. Not sure if he's allergic but he, sure gets diaper rash from the digestive issues it caused. Maybe we need gluten free feed?
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Ours ate what we ate from a young age or didn't eat. She is now 5'8" and 115lbs and very healthy. Only allergy is to crabs shells, go figure?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
To some degree gluten free has become a fad but some are very intolerant of gluten which is part of wheat grain. For them it's miserable.

Same for peanuts. Easy to make light of it until you see a blue kid loaded into an amberlamps for a trip to the ER.
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?
Posted By: denton Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Had a talk about this with my doc once... His theory is that people who start life in a "farm style" environment grow up with fewer allergies in later life. Those who grow up in environments that are too sterile tend to have more.

He and I both spent our early years in an urban environment, and then moved to farms when we were about 5. Both of us have abundant allergies and food reactions, which are now controlled.

Gluten is the protein component in wheat. It's part of why bread hangs together. There are a lot of gluten intolerant people, but, as stated, it has become a fad. People are eating gluten free because they think it will make them more healthy. As far as I know, that's a waste of time unless you are one of the unfortunate few.

I reacted to the coumarin in wheat, until I got treated for it. Coumarin is the chemical that grasses use to protect themselves against mold. Thanks to decades of selective breeding, our wheat is much more resistant to mold, because of a 1000X increase in the amount of coumarin it has. Cows concentrate coumarin in their milk, but goats have an enzyme that breaks it down.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
There was a recent study done which showed that very early exposure to peanuts meant less likelihood of allergy later.

Early exposure is key to avoiding nearly all allergies.

"Gluten intolerance" is NOT an allergy in any way. It simply means that some people do not have the digestive enzymes available in their gut to digest gluten. It has degrees of severity. In general, it is harmless but can be uncomfortable for some.

Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
My daughter has some pretty serious skin allergies. We took her to the allergist to have her tested. She was pretty well allergic to everything they tested her for. She's on weekly allergy shots now and has seen improvement. The funny part about all this is the doctor made all these suggestions about removing all her stuffed animals, taking the carpet out of her room, cutting down the pecan tree in my backyard, and multiple other suggestions. All the things she described and suggested took part of her being a kid away. We did none of it other than a daily antihistamine and the weekly shots. I got a really funny look when the doctor asked what all changes we'd made. My answer was none other than shots. I told her I didn't come in looking to raise my kid in a bubble, we needed some shots so she didn't break out in hives all the time.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I felt pretty much the same way, until I got to know a new employee in our office with sons who have nut allergies.

To sum her experience, nut allergies can kill. She's had her boys to the ER over it, and is not the type of person to enjoy the current health fad.

Gluten, I dunno about that.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma.

Breathing without an inhaler would be a major issue.

Originally Posted by ironbender
To some degree gluten free has become a fad but some are very intolerant of gluten which is part of wheat grain. For them it's miserable.

Same for peanuts. Easy to make light of it until you see a blue kid loaded into an amberlamps for a trip to the ER.

How did this turn into a soccer player thread?
Originally Posted by mathman
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?

Exactly, that's my point. How the hell did it become so prevalent today?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Some douche with a man bun whining about gluten is a long way from anaphylactic shock from allergens. I pay the former no mind.

I don't know why we have such a increase in severe allergies.

Maybe it is because we have gotten to accustomed to anti bacterial everything.

Maybe the food we eat isn't anything like the food that was raised 50 years ago.

What is strange is it seems to afflict white middle and upper class folk a lot more than others.

Ghetto bunnies raised on koolaid and fast food seem to do fine until they get older?

Roaches will survive the holocaust.
Some of you guys have done your reading. That's good to see.

Conspiracy theories aside, eat meat and other real foodstuffs, teach your kids to do the same, and leave the tofu and plastic and pig food and phag pfood and other pfancy stuff to the puffing magic dragon liberals.

They won't last long...
then they'll be gone.

And we'll live happily ever after.
Posted By: antlers Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It likely has more to do with the way peanuts are grown and processed nowadays, as opposed to the peanuts themselves.

The same way more wear glasses now than 50 years ago.
Just to be clear, I love peanuts and add gluten to my bread. It's really difficult to find gluten in a store now.
I remember my wife and I planting our garden, and one of our boys, still in a diaper, sitting in the dirt with mud running from his mouth. My wife wasn't pleased, but it didn't hurt him, and so far, we've found nothing either of our kids are allergic to. I imagine how you're raised has a bit to do with it.
Try this one for peanut allergies and early exposure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705822
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it.

There is even some therapies for adults that do sort of the same thing, giving massive over-exposure to the allergen until the immune system "gives up" and stops fighting it. Can be life threatening and must be supervised.

Sounds like your dad needs to put you to work this summer a little harder while he sits back and watches that you don't stop breathing!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16

I think it was all started when the Commies snuck out from under the beds and put flouride in the water. wink
[quote=DakotaDeer]

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma
Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it

Vinnie boberino's boy died because of his fear.

He should have put the child out in the yard and let him eat dog turds with flies swarming.
Makes more sense to me.

Animals didn't evolve on this planet consuming Clorox, "modern" chemistry, nor genetically mutated laboratory experiments.

Wash your hands with good ole ivory soap.
Eat real food.
And get your ass back to work.

Posted By: atvalaska Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
Had a guy at my house ..peanuts... Can't have them /20 year of reaction !.....no how ...well a week later I was cooking.. Butt...in oil...wife asked me at nite in bed ..what oil did u use ,the fish turned out good !....oh chit...same old peanut oil....nothing ever came of it ...
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
I started life on a sand hill farm in NW Oklahoma and our drinking water, most of the time, came from a cistern. And we actually drank milk from a COW. Not from such as goats or almonds but right out of the cow. There were ten of us kids and I can't recall any of our family being allergic. Except me. Allergic to work and prosperity.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
My wife developed gluten intolerance as an adult. I don't exactly understand how that happened, but for whatever reason it did. She gets sick to her stomach now if she eats and gluten-based bread, pasta, or ???? It sounds hokey to me too guys, but I can tell you she sure feels a lot better if she keeps it out of her diet. The only food allergy I have is to tree nuts. Peanuts are just fine, and I love 'em, but tree nuts can make me sick enough to be a serious concern.

I worked in a clinic where one of the surgical nurses was so allergic to peanuts, she'd have a bad reaction just from smelling them. I swear the whole peanut allergy thing is a relatively "new" thing, as I never remember them taking these sweeping steps to keep peanuts away from everyone in school, or at work.
I was on many a flight where nobody choked out because of the peanut vapors floating around.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Casaba Melon - 06/25/16
My Grandad had the wheat chaff asthma thing like Sammo, nearly killed him the year he got home from the army during harvest time. Dr told him to move to town and get a different job. So they moved to town and he became a businessman.
He now eats the heck out of locally produced honey and has no problems at all during harvest even when he's driving the combine or running the auger putting the grain in bins. He swears that it's the local honey that has stopped his allergy problems. He's 84 now and fit as most 60 year old guys so maybe he's right.
There were far fewer people wearing eye glasses 50 years ago.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
I was on many a flight where nobody choked out because of the peanut vapors floating around.
Good for you, but there are people who are very sensitive to this.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16

Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it.

There is even some therapies for adults that do sort of the same thing, giving massive over-exposure to the allergen until the immune system "gives up" and stops fighting it. Can be life threatening and must be supervised.

Sounds like your dad needs to put you to work this summer a little harder while he sits back and watches that you don't stop breathing!

I kinda figured early exposure meant EARLY.

Life was miserable as a kid until I went in and got an inhaler.

Amazing difference, kinda like putting on glasses for the first time and being able to see.

And it's also a great excuse to avoid shoveling out grain bins....

Posted By: ingwe Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
Sammo I carry an inhaler ( Combivent) when hunting because Im allergic to deer, elk, and antelope.

I always figured it was gods way of punishing me for other transgressions... whistle
Posted By: Odie_54 Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
OK, I've had Mush Mellon/Cantaloupe, I've had Honeydew and Water Mellon.

What the frick is a Casaba Mellon???
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeydew_(melon)

"Honeydew, also known as honeymelon, is a cultivar group of the muskmelon, Cucumis melo Inodorus group, which includes crenshaw, casaba, Persian, winter, and other mixed melons."
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16

You can't smoke peanuts on airplanes anymore.
mad

Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

"Honeydew, also known as honeymelon, is a cultivar group of the muskmelon, Cucumis melo Inodorus group, which includes crenshaw, casaba, Persian, winter, and other mixed melons."

Grandpa called all of the above, "piss pumpkin".

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
Our last dog was allergic to corn and flea bites. Funny I know. The vet said such problems are becoming much more common in both pets and people, blaimed it on chemicals in the enviroment and food. I do know there are a lot of chemicals that act as sensitizers, which make one more likely to react to allergens.
Perfumes and deodorants and laundry detergents and such make me sneeze and my eyes itch.

Things people call "fresh smelling" stink to the high heaven to me.

The only thing in nature that causes this reaction is hemp in the fall.

Not the male plants with puffs of yellow pollen during summer, that has no effect. It's the female plants as they're putting on seed.
The "buds" as pot smokers would say.

I used to sit in a patch of it by the creek during dove season as a boy. Birds love the seeds.
Now I can't get down wind of it without going into a sneezing fit and my eyes itch for two days.

It ruins a hunt.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
There is a chance the increase in gluten allergies has nothing to do with gluten at all bet rather the addition of Potassium bromate to flour. Two of our kids became intolerant to wheat products and then found out the same foods made with nonbromated flour are fine.

Read http://www.livescience.com/36206-truth-potassium-bromate-food-additive.html
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Our last dog was allergic to corn and flea bites. Funny I know. The vet said such problems are becoming much more common in both pets and people, blaimed it on chemicals in the enviroment and food. I do know there are a lot of chemicals that act as sensitizers, which make one more likely to react to allergens.

Has anyone known of a farmdog that was allergic to corn?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
The corn is in dog food. You would not believe everything that has some form of corn in it. The worst part was that dam dog loved sweet corn, I do not know how she did it, but she would eat a roasting ear off like a shelled cob.
Posted By: Northerner Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16

I have wondered this many times myself; to me it's one of life mysteries I will likely never understand. I was in my mid 20's before I even encountered anyone with a peanut allergy; now when I visit my kid in elementary school, they have signs hanging on about half the classroom doors that say "peanut allergy in this room". Apparently some kids are so allergic even being in the same room as peanuts is bad. If you ever figure this out, please let me know...always wondered WHY this is so much more prevalent today than when I was a kid.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Corn isn't meant to be consumed in mass quantities.

We're not chickens pigs or cows.... until the sweet corn is in smile

Then I'm a pig. Digestion be damned!

Whole corn is indicator. Taste great, does little to or for you.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
Paranoia is rampant!
Posted By: g5m Re: Casaba Melon - 06/26/16
After seeing people die from allergies I'd mention that they are, or at least can be, a big deal.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Casaba Melon - 06/27/16
Originally Posted by g5m
After seeing people die from allergies I'd mention that they are, or at least can be, a big deal.

No one said they ain't. I too know people that have died from them.

It seems like 1 out of every 5 kids can't eat a PBJ these days. NEVER heard of such stuff 30-40 years ago
Posted By: g5m Re: Casaba Melon - 06/27/16
I don't know the answer to that. Whether serious allergies are more of a problem now or not. I know me dad nearly died from a penicillin injection 60+ years ago, and that could have been a reaction to all the goop they put in the injections back then and not the penicillin. And some kids in school were sensitive to various things but it just seems so much more prevalent now. Maybe it's just more diagnostic accuracy.

Add:
http://www.foodallergy.org/file/facts-stats.pdf

They're documented to be on the rise. Why is another question.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Casaba Melon - 06/27/16
Southern comfort on the gums when teething. Growing up on and having the run of ACRES of farm land with horses, goats chickens, ducks, beef cows and dairy cattle, hell even exposed numerous times to cow pox. To this day a small pox VAX won't take on me as I am naturally immune.

'Bout the only thing I an allergic to is democrats and fools!

This "plastic bubble" will wipe us out if left to run rampant.
© 24hourcampfire