Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had a talk about this with my doc once... His theory is that people who start life in a "farm style" environment grow up with fewer allergies in later life. Those who grow up in environments that are too sterile tend to have more.

He and I both spent our early years in an urban environment, and then moved to farms when we were about 5. Both of us have abundant allergies and food reactions, which are now controlled.

Gluten is the protein component in wheat. It's part of why bread hangs together. There are a lot of gluten intolerant people, but, as stated, it has become a fad. People are eating gluten free because they think it will make them more healthy. As far as I know, that's a waste of time unless you are one of the unfortunate few.

I reacted to the coumarin in wheat, until I got treated for it. Coumarin is the chemical that grasses use to protect themselves against mold. Thanks to decades of selective breeding, our wheat is much more resistant to mold, because of a 1000X increase in the amount of coumarin it has. Cows concentrate coumarin in their milk, but goats have an enzyme that breaks it down.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB4

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There was a recent study done which showed that very early exposure to peanuts meant less likelihood of allergy later.

Early exposure is key to avoiding nearly all allergies.

"Gluten intolerance" is NOT an allergy in any way. It simply means that some people do not have the digestive enzymes available in their gut to digest gluten. It has degrees of severity. In general, it is harmless but can be uncomfortable for some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter has some pretty serious skin allergies. We took her to the allergist to have her tested. She was pretty well allergic to everything they tested her for. She's on weekly allergy shots now and has seen improvement. The funny part about all this is the doctor made all these suggestions about removing all her stuffed animals, taking the carpet out of her room, cutting down the pecan tree in my backyard, and multiple other suggestions. All the things she described and suggested took part of her being a kid away. We did none of it other than a daily antihistamine and the weekly shots. I got a really funny look when the doctor asked what all changes we'd made. My answer was none other than shots. I told her I didn't come in looking to raise my kid in a bubble, we needed some shots so she didn't break out in hives all the time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I felt pretty much the same way, until I got to know a new employee in our office with sons who have nut allergies.

To sum her experience, nut allergies can kill. She's had her boys to the ER over it, and is not the type of person to enjoy the current health fad.

Gluten, I dunno about that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma.

Breathing without an inhaler would be a major issue.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
To some degree gluten free has become a fad but some are very intolerant of gluten which is part of wheat grain. For them it's miserable.

Same for peanuts. Easy to make light of it until you see a blue kid loaded into an amberlamps for a trip to the ER.

How did this turn into a soccer player thread?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?

Exactly, that's my point. How the hell did it become so prevalent today?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some douche with a man bun whining about gluten is a long way from anaphylactic shock from allergens. I pay the former no mind.

I don't know why we have such a increase in severe allergies.

Maybe it is because we have gotten to accustomed to anti bacterial everything.

Maybe the food we eat isn't anything like the food that was raised 50 years ago.

What is strange is it seems to afflict white middle and upper class folk a lot more than others.

Ghetto bunnies raised on koolaid and fast food seem to do fine until they get older?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Roaches will survive the holocaust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of you guys have done your reading. That's good to see.

Conspiracy theories aside, eat meat and other real foodstuffs, teach your kids to do the same, and leave the tofu and plastic and pig food and phag pfood and other pfancy stuff to the puffing magic dragon liberals.

They won't last long...
then they'll be gone.

And we'll live happily ever after.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?

It likely has more to do with the way peanuts are grown and processed nowadays, as opposed to the peanuts themselves.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

The same way more wear glasses now than 50 years ago.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just to be clear, I love peanuts and add gluten to my bread. It's really difficult to find gluten in a store now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I remember my wife and I planting our garden, and one of our boys, still in a diaper, sitting in the dirt with mud running from his mouth. My wife wasn't pleased, but it didn't hurt him, and so far, we've found nothing either of our kids are allergic to. I imagine how you're raised has a bit to do with it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Try this one for peanut allergies and early exposure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705822

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma.

Breathing without an inhaler would be a major issue.

Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it.

There is even some therapies for adults that do sort of the same thing, giving massive over-exposure to the allergen until the immune system "gives up" and stops fighting it. Can be life threatening and must be supervised.

Sounds like your dad needs to put you to work this summer a little harder while he sits back and watches that you don't stop breathing!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I think it was all started when the Commies snuck out from under the beds and put flouride in the water. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[quote=DakotaDeer]

Wheat dust will put me into instant allergy induced asthma
Early exposure means between 4 and 11 months. It teaches the body's immune system to tolerate an allergen rather than fighting against it

Vinnie boberino's boy died because of his fear.

He should have put the child out in the yard and let him eat dog turds with flies swarming.
Makes more sense to me.

Animals didn't evolve on this planet consuming Clorox, "modern" chemistry, nor genetically mutated laboratory experiments.

Wash your hands with good ole ivory soap.
Eat real food.
And get your ass back to work.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a guy at my house ..peanuts... Can't have them /20 year of reaction !.....no how ...well a week later I was cooking.. Butt...in oil...wife asked me at nite in bed ..what oil did u use ,the fish turned out good !....oh chit...same old peanut oil....nothing ever came of it ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started life on a sand hill farm in NW Oklahoma and our drinking water, most of the time, came from a cistern. And we actually drank milk from a COW. Not from such as goats or almonds but right out of the cow. There were ten of us kids and I can't recall any of our family being allergic. Except me. Allergic to work and prosperity.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,718
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.