Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Is it possible for a kid to eat a PB&J sandwich or eat gluten (I honestly don't know WTF gluten is, and I don't care) without their head swelling up like a Casaba melon?

My SIL told my wife that they went to a birthday party with my niece. Non-gluten and no nuts (obviously)

Good Lord, I ate dirt when I was a kid. My dad told me I was allergic to eggs when I was young. The doctor told him, keep feeding him eggs in small amounts.

I don't get it. Hell, I about have to do a full body scrub when I walk into my SIL house before I'm allowed to get near a kid. I watched her spin out of control when her 86 year old grandmother would was her hands prior to touching one of our nieces.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would appear to be very fashionable to have some manner of broad spectrum food allergy these days, or to be a germaphobe, or OCD about it all.

I told my folks I was allergic to beans and liver.

They didn't believe me.

Now Im traumatized....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you should be traumatized about the beans, staff of life. As to the liver, not so much.
You relatives are doing the kids a huge disfavor, ask doc rockett. I think he probably would say that's how you build up antibodies.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm a firm believer in "expose 'em to everything". Whether it worked or not is arguable, but Connor has no food issues, etc. Despite my getting him around animals all the time, his rabbits bother him some.

All the bleach, cleaner, hand sanitizers, etc. aren't doing kids any good, IMHO.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I guarantee the damned Democrats are at the bottom of the peanut allergy debacle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We are getting so sterile now that it won't take much to blow over lots of folks house of cards.

Kids should be kids.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My kids haven't found anything they can't eat. Quantity seems to be the only limiting factor.

If you ever find out what a gluten is, I'd like to know.

Last edited by gregintenn; 06/25/16.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Isnt a gluten someone who eats too much????

Or is that glutton????

Gents I don't get it either.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John travolta was a germaphobe.
So much so he killed his own son while still a baby.

Dopey bastard.
Must have taken the line "I'm so confused" as Vinnie boberino a little too seriously.

F all that noise.
I say eat drink and be merry!

And enjoy a cigar, while you're at it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Isnt a gluten someone who eats too much????

Or is that glutton????

Gents I don't get it either.

I thought it was a muscle on a person's ass.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's much money to be made in "Gluten Free", in the same vein as Global Warming...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Corn isn't meant to be consumed in mass quantities.

We're not chickens pigs or cows.... until the sweet corn is in smile

Then I'm a pig. Digestion be damned!

Soda pop with corn = bad.
Sugar is far less harmful.

C'm on you guys... Read.
Resources are out there.

Grain is for alcohol.
Be merry.
Don't pour it into you OR your internal combustion engines, because that's just stupid.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
There's much money to be made in "Gluten Free", in the same vein as Global Warming...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I grew up on a Missouri farm. No blacktop roads for five miles or so, growing up. My "playground" was a 240 acre farm, with hog lots (pigs had free run of that lot, even) and cow pastures surrounding the place.

Row-crop fields in the creek bottoms, the only flat spots, really. I ran up and down the bean and cornrows, ran barefoot thru cowcrap, and was all over the 10 acre hoglot north of the house.

Never been allergic to anything that I know of.

My uncle, UP the road two miles, had a dairy farm, cow crap everywhere, and my other uncle, two miles DOWN the road, had several hog lots, too. I liked the hog lots best, the pigs kept the weeds and brush knocked down, so we could run wild.

Kept me out of trouble, though. I ran around with a .22 rifle practically permanently attached to my arm. I'm sure the neighbors thought it was attached......

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a little boy who's almost 9 months old. Momma works late and Saturday unfortunately, which means that me and him spend tons of time together after I get off work and on weekends.

This is our first kid and of course my wife is the typical first time mom who's paranoid about everything from allergies to the boogerman and any other rare disease or disorder in between. I on the other hand have no such affliction having a good memory of what I did and ate as a child that didn't kill, maim, nor even hurt me.

I have been feeding the boy people food since he was 2 months old now, give a 3 month old a pickle spear sometime and see how much enjoyment they get out of it. I'm cautious about choking hazards obviously, no popcorn or jawbreaker candy but otherwise he eats what I eat. And finally Momma is coming around to the idea that he isn't allergic to everything under the sun and that it's actually easier to feed him what we eat than to make something special or buy baby food.

You should see the reaction I get from other young parents when I tell them about the remedy my Grandmother gave me for when an infant gets constipated. Give them a bottle full of equal parts Dr Pepper and prune juice, they love the stuff and it will get the plumbing going again like pronto. Had one lady about faint when she heard, she figured Dr Pepper would instantly give a tot diabetes or maybe even death.

Sometimes it's fun raising a kid the old way in the new day. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell, my parents rubbed Whiskey on my gums when I was teething.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My kid enjoys eating chicken feed straight out of the feeder chickens use. Not sure if he's allergic but he, sure gets diaper rash from the digestive issues it caused. Maybe we need gluten free feed?

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Ours ate what we ate from a young age or didn't eat. She is now 5'8" and 115lbs and very healthy. Only allergy is to crabs shells, go figure?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
To some degree gluten free has become a fad but some are very intolerant of gluten which is part of wheat grain. For them it's miserable.

Same for peanuts. Easy to make light of it until you see a blue kid loaded into an amberlamps for a trip to the ER.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK, but did I just not notice peanut affected kids turning blue around me in school before we all knew how dangerous peanuts were?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 32 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,779
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.