Home
Posted By: Teal Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Got to thinking - as a kid all I ever wanted was a Harley and a Mustang 5.0 GT or LX - 93 vintage. Something in white. 347 small block with a power adder of some sort.

I managed to get the HD but try finding a decent Fox body these days and I don't have the skill Dave does to bring something back from the dead.

The market is brutal for these cars. Even if I went out and bought a new GT and stuck a blower on it - I know it's 5x the car that a Fox body would be but it's not the same...

Anyway - what was your dream car that you never really got your hands on?

What's your Eleanor?

[Linked Image]
I almost bought a black '93 cobra that looked just like the car you pictured. Now my sleeper commuter car is an 09 ford escape and oddly enough has the same exact performance numbers as the 93 cobra I almost bought in '95. A buddy of mine ended up buying that car. It was pretty hot and fun to drive..
Posted By: Teal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Back in the 90's when I was a teenager and hot for the Fox - it was the #1 hobby car in the world.

250 hp was what they had stock IIRC. A 350hp car had quite a bit of work.

What made them work was how easy they were to work on and light they were.

Now - the Mustang 6cyl would spank them hard.

I did have the chance back then to score a t-top GT, 4 headlight car IIRC. 1800 bucks. I should have as I guess they're rare-ish...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
DeTomaso Pantera. Early 70's.

Long time ago I nearly bought one that needed a good bit of work. I have no illusions that even if I had bought it that I'd still have it today. Lotta stupid in those early years. Lol.

But at least I'd of had one. Now they are priced out of reason for me. At least for now.

And I'm not looking for a car today - just sorta watching craig's and the like. Realizing the GT is a dream now, not to be realized.
Posted By: battue Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Had my hands on both, just never bought them when I could have afforded them. Girl Bud sent me pics of these from this past weeks Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: poboy Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
'57 Chevy Apache pickup...oh yeah.. never mind.
Posted By: RWE Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Cadillac eldorado, convertible
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16

I remember my brother driving this car home when he bought it in 1969. I was in junior high school at the time and couldn't get over riding in the passenger seat with the handle on the dash and the awesome hood scoop.

I loved that car and only 2 years later I bought it from him when he bought a new GTO Judge. That was over 45 years ago, and I still love that car...

[Linked Image]
I always wanted an exact replica of the back to the future '85 Toyota 4x4 pickup..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Original A/C Cobra or maybe a newer Ford GT40, have had or still have most all the rest.
Posted By: benchman Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Anything with Raquel Welch in the passenger seat.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Jaguar XK-E, British Racing Green.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
66 Galaxie 7 Litre...something about that car just speaks to me.
Posted By: pal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
BMW 3.0CS.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbmi Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Call me old school, but when I graduated HS in 63, this is what I wanted.
[Linked Image]
I've had some nice cars over the past 53 years, but 12 years ago when I turned 60 I said now is the time for me to buy one that is just for fun.
It's now 13 years old and just turned 70K and still as much fun as when I bought.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
70 challenger
Posted By: benchman Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Ok, ok....a GT40 with Raquel Welch in the passenger seat....
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Jag C type or the original Corvette Grand Sport........
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
71 Hemi 'Cuda
1969 Chevelle SS with 427
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
teal;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend treated you acceptably well and you're refreshed and ready for the upcoming week ahead of us.

When I was a teenage motor head I had a '71 Pontiac T-37 - a Canuck built Lemans sedan body- that I'd worked on a fair bit. I always like the Pontiac and Olds A body cars a bit better than the Chev or Buick models and the fastest car in the small nearby Saskatchewan city was a '69 Judge.

For a short while I wanted to find one - had to be a '69 or '70 and had to be a 400 - but after awhile longer the cars got more and more scarce and correspondingly expensive for clean ones.

Obligatory internet stock photo of a '69 Judge.
[Linked Image]

A cousin of mine had a '79 Indy Pace Car Mustang - the first year of the Fox body ones if I'm not mistaken? It would accelerate and stop faster than our "old time" muscle cars for the most part. The dawn of a new era in performance in many ways as far as handling and stopping went for sure.

Sorry to say they'd not be my first choice - I was really looking for a 5th generation rag top - while all the while bugging a co-worker to sell me his extra clean 40th Anniversary model - even though I really wanted something like a 2007.

Wouldn't you know it though he broke down and offered to part with it at a price I couldn't say no to....

[Linked Image]

Anyway if we'd win the lotto I might look again for an A Body - but then again maybe not as the '04 has been fun to drive and to play with too. grin

Thanks for the thread sir and all the best to you all for the remaining days of summer.

Dwayne
Posted By: badger Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Ferrari Daytona Spyder. Had the opportunity to buy one, slightly damaged due to an engine fire in 1979 for about $5k. Was earning less than $50.00/week as an apprentice so that wasn't gonna happen.

I settled for this one. Never be worth as much as the Ferrari, but I like the lines smile

[Linked Image]

Two M635's flanking an M5 in my shop. Mine is on the right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BGunn Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Always wanted a '57 Chevy, and a G T Mustang.
Had the 57 in my senior year in High School, until I enlisted in the Air Force,
when I sold it frown

Now I have this..

[Linked Image]

Hey, you only live once...
I will also admit that I did harbor some lust for a Buick Grand National GNX ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snyper Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
I had one of these in my younger, wilder days:
67 Mercury Cyclone GT:
[Linked Image]

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Originally Posted by teal
I will also admit that I did harbor some lust for a Buick Grand National GNX ...

[Linked Image]
i was given one of those i sold it for a grand, wasn't a mopar.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
For me ,it was always a 69 AMX
I only ever saw one live and in person. In the UP of all places.

In my area - no one had Mopar. Just wasn't around.

Best friend's brother had a Dodge turbo Lazer. Quick little car that we beat the pizz outta. A LOT. While Mike was in the Navy - my BF traded the car for an Artic Cat Wildcat. 700 twin...

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Saw this old boy last summer and he was living his dream.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walker Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
[Linked Image]
1969 Porsche 912 coupe . (long wheelbase, 4 cylinder)

I stupidly turned down the inheritance of a red 1972 Mercedes 560SL that my grandparents used in Concours d'Elegance events.
Wasn't in a position to fix it to get it back up and running. I think there was only 50-60000 original miles.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
I always wanted a 1969 Dodge Charger. Loved the body style and I never even came close to getting one.

At that time I would have loved to have anything with wheels that wasn't an old olive drab surplus 1963 Plymouth station wagon.
Posted By: tzone Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
1966 ford fairlane 427/4-speed. Cop wheels, bench seat.

Absolute gear bangin, high rpm turnin, smokey tire, clutch dumpin violence.
Posted By: badger Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Originally Posted by battue
Saw this old boy last summer and he was living his dream.

[Linked Image]

Down under? smile
Talked with him a bit and when he pulled out he could still run threw the gears and wasn't all that skeeered to get on it a little. I was grinning big.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Originally Posted by stxhunter

[Linked Image]

You sold a GNX for a grand? Bro......

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/gnx

You missed out on 80-100k just to drive the same car as Al Bundy.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
I ain't done so don't know...
Posted By: djs Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
an AC (Ford) Cobra, Pontiac GTO, a '63 Corvette coupe, a ....... - and so on !!!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
I really could care less about cars, but do like the classics.

My buddy rescued this one from a fence row. Currently powered by a 455 Buick. All work done by himself, and done right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
Dodge charger 440 magnum with a six pack or a 426 Hemi dropped in.
1980 lamborghini countach

[Linked Image]
I've always wanted a 427 Cobra, needless to say it won't happen with their prices being higher than an eagle's ass.

[Linked Image]

This is an original street-legal 427 race Cobra (note the lack of a windshield). A wife drove this one, her husband drove a 1963 Cobra (both pictured below). When she got out of the parking lot she hammered it and the sound was just unreal.

[Linked Image]
Just for fun.............1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible....1 of 251 convertibles made in a production total of 967 30th SS's. This one was build #485, and is a 6 speed.

I did however put some old school on it with the SuperSport emblem off a 66'Malibu that I inserted in the hood scope. Fit perfectly.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Supersportemblem029.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Dannyscar003.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Supersportemblem012.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/throttlebody001.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Posted By: CCCC Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/17/16
After our 4th daughter came along I saw the handwriting on the wall and decided I had better get my dream car and drive it for a long time. It was 1971 and I wanted a no-extras nimble powerhouse that would outrun anything US around at the time. Finally found this 1967 V and have been running it for 45 years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There was a time when I really wanted a Ferrari... any Ferrari. At the time I could have afforded a used 308... the 250GT SWB that I really wanted was way out of reach. Some of the Ferrari bodywork was lovely, the sound of the twelve cylinder engines, the history... However, it bothered me that a lot of Ferrari owners said that Ferraris were to admire, polish and get fixed.

I settled on the modest Porsche in the pic. I also had a lovely 911 but for my needs (I actually drive a car.) the 944 was better. I've had it thirteen years now and will keep it till I can no longer get in it. I can load the back with shooting equipment and go to matches. It's got air conditioning that really works. I keep all the maintenance up and haven't gone broke so doing.

The first eleven years it didn't appreciate a cent. The last two years the value has gone up till it's now worth #10,000.00 more than I paid for it. (Per Hagerty's) I love my old car. Tomorrow I will take an hour's drive thru the boonies and shoot in a match. I will get there and I will get back with no drama.
Posted By: JPro Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Got to thinking - as a kid all I ever wanted was a Harley and a Mustang 5.0 GT or LX - 93 vintage. Something in white. 347 small block with a power adder of some sort.

I managed to get the HD but try finding a decent Fox body these days and I don't have the skill Dave does to bring something back from the dead.

The market is brutal for these cars. Even if I went out and bought a new GT and stuck a blower on it - I know it's 5x the car that a Fox body would be but it's not the same...

Anyway - what was your dream car that you never really got your hands on?

What's your Eleanor?

[Linked Image]

There are "dream cars" that are simply not possible, such as the 427 Cobra, but concerning more realistic expectations, I also wanted a Fox-body 5.0 Liter. I wanted the notchback with 5spd, but never got one. Always needed a 4x4 truck more.....

I did manage to get a 2011 5.0 GT California Special a few years ago and I really loved it.

[Linked Image]

Kept it for a while as my wife's daily driver, but she ran into some health problems and had to quit work, so we sent it down the road. Fortunately, we were blessed to get over that hurdle, although we're past the days of a coupe being practical for a primary vehicle (kids grew too big). I'm just about to get my 90's retro-Wrangler completed for a fun-ride, but I still have my eye on finding a nice used 2011-2012 5.0 again in a few years. I really dig the styling and the powertrain.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
69-70 Mach-I or Shelby GT-500.. (sigh)

But one itch was scratched when I owned a '69 Jag XKE convertible for a few years.. Never had a car so 'balanced' for serious cornering. What that car could do on twisty roads was uncanny..
Posted By: sactoller Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My buddy rescued this one from a fence row. Currently powered by a 455 Buick. All work done by himself, and done right.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking 66!
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
For me ,it was always a 69 AMX
A kid I went to school with bought the farm in an AMX. They figured he was doing more that 130 m.p.h. when he hit the tree. Closed casket, and actually they could have done it in three coffins. Play hard, die young.
I always wanted one of the 440 Dusters. A kid I worked with had one. He called it the Duster Quick Claims Adjuster, and he took a couple titles with it when the cops were on strike in Youngstown, Ohio one year.

My brother had a 69 Nova SS with an LT-1 350 in it. Total Bad Ass when it was running good. His prettiest ride was a candy apple red GTO with a black hard top. The paint just gleamed, the motor rumbled, and the chrome Cragar's really looked good. The car was wicked fast. He almost lost it one night and decided that car was gonna kill him if he kept it, and the only way he drove back then was with his foot on the firewall. Sent it down the road and regrets it to this day.
1964/5 GTO Had 69 Mach 1, and the 79 Pace Car, wrecked the 1979 pace, rolled it about 20 times, walked away my back hurt for along time in 1996 after I blew out 2 discs they told me I had broken my back at one time!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Screw the cars. I want my old '67 FLH back. Kinda miss my old log cabin too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Miss this one too. 93 inches. Parts bike. With a 26 tooth tranny sprocket it would do 140+ (honest injun)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by stxhunter

[Linked Image]

You sold a GNX for a grand? Bro......

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/gnx

You missed out on 80-100k just to drive the same car as Al Bundy.
didn't run, turbo was toast. it was taking up space in the shop and i need some cash to buy some part for the 69 dart i was working on at the time so i let a buddy have for a grand. i ought to check and see what he did with it. this was 16 yrs ago.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
58 chev IMpala rag top blue and white with white interior ,,was and still is what i like ,

norm
Posted By: KFWA Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
I father-n-law has a fully restored 1962 Corvette with a 327/340HP motor coming in from California - completely original with points, AM Wonderbar radio and even a generator.

He's 70 and got a bucketlist.

He's buying a farm in the next month or so.

Posted By: RWE Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by KFWA
I father-n-law has a fully restored 1962 Corvette with a 327/340HP motor coming in from California - completely original with points, AM Wonderbar radio and even a generator.

You mean he's buying a farm, or he's buying the farm?
My favorite Ford is a 1964 galaxie, 2 dr hdtp fastback roof.

Favorite Chevy is a 1955 bel air 2 dr hdtp.

Hint: Stay tuned. whistle
Posted By: KFWA Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by KFWA

You mean he's buying a farm, or he's buying the farm?

heh

no, he is literally buying a farm with cows , chickens, pigs

told me last night he has no desire to leave anything to his kids so he's going to spend it like its going out of style. (he is a step father-n-law so to speak so my wife is not a blood relatives.

I've had a couple of fun cars, but I'm really at a point where a car means nothing to me. I just want a recliner with a steering wheel and a very good air-conditioner.

*Thats* my idea of a dream car.

Heck, I drive a mini-van - I can carry 7 people or 8 sheets of drywall. But the best thing about a mini-van is cops don't even bother looking at you.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by jbmi
Call me old school, but when I graduated HS in 63, this is what I wanted.
[Linked Image]
I've had some nice cars over the past 53 years, but 12 years ago when I turned 60 I said now is the time for me to buy one that is just for fun.
It's now 13 years old and just turned 70K and still as much fun as when I bought.
[Linked Image]

The red 'Vette pictured here would probably be it. I have a newer one (2009), but this one is the cat's ass. grin

donsm70
Posted By: Terryk Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
I have a Corvette in the garage I never drive. It was fun for a few years, but just waiting for the urge to drive it again. I should sell it.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Screw the cars. I want my old '67 FLH back. Kinda miss my old log cabin too.

[Linked Image]
Had almost its twin, a few years newer. Bought a 93" crate engine for it, changed the rear sprocket also. Might have gone 110 mph or higher, shut it down at about 105 mph. Sold it after 35 years. Still have the 93" S&S. When all the dust settled, we ended up with a Heritage Softail and a '51 Ford F2 pickup.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Red 55 Corvette with the "Blue Flame" 6 cylinder and solid rear axle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16

Dream Car Realized......I still have mine.......

1973 Z-28

I ordered it when I was a senior in HS, so going on 44 years now, and only 28,000 original miles.

[Linked Image]

For those wanting to relive their youth, it is for sale.

Posted By: Alamosa Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Roadrunner was always on my short list. Old pickup trucks quickly steal my attention away from cars.

The latest episode of Leno's Garage has a pretty good segment on the GNX with David Spade. A woman I worked with used a GNX to commute to work for a few years.

My wife has our garages filled with mostly euro cars however we got this last week. 40K original miles.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by Alamosa
My wife has our garages filled with mostly euro cars however we got this last week. 40K original miles.

[Linked Image]

That's beauty. The year before I got the Z-28, I missed out on a 13,000 mile 70 SS 375/396 4 speed triple black Chevelle by a day.
Dad's former tenant had a 67 Split window Vette 427 for sale , between NJ insurance rates and the fact I had no job as a HS freshman I could not swing it .

Side Note : A friend had a very nice 55 Vette that he traded in for a brand new 1976 MOntecarlo even up . He never lived that down .
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by Cheesy

[Linked Image]

I'm with you on the cars... I"d rather have that plane sitting back there in the background.... Or a bigger airboat or such...
Posted By: joken2 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16

Early 50s MG TD, in British Racing Green w/tan interior or white w/red or tan interior, and preferably with spoke wheels:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Dad's former tenant had a 67 Split window Vette 427 for sale . .

That former tenant must have been a genius at mods - the 63 coupe was the only year for the rear window divider trim.
Posted By: Teal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by aalf

1973 Z-28

I ordered it when I was a senior in HS, so going on 44 years now, and only 28,000 original miles.

[Linked Image]

I'm not generally interested in too much GM outside of that GN and the 67/68 Suckaro bores me to death but that Gen 2 (I believe) like that has always turned my crank.

With modern BB crate motors and a turbo..... a guy could get into trouble. IIRC Chevy has a 572 at 620 hp out right now - order from Summitt and get it here by the end of the week...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
I got a 496 that does 615 on the dyno. LOL.
Posted By: Teal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by rost495
I got a 496 that does 615 on the dyno. LOL.

Does it come with a warranty like the crate motor?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
It would be hard to pin me down on a dream car. There are so many I like. but I suppose it might be a '73 super duty 455 TA.
[Linked Image]

I've owned some fair cars and trucks in the past. I don't have a picture of the '72 Bronco I used to own or my hotrod '69 chevy C10. here's a couple of pics of some of my old cars:
[Linked Image]
'84 Mustang GT convertible with a 5 speed.[Linked Image]
'82 GT Mustang with that goofy 4 speed that was realy a 3 speed with a overdrive. this car was bad had 75 shot of NOS was a solid 400+ HP 302. It had chevy valves in the heads, I suppose that's what made this Ford run so good. Ha Ha
My favorite old car I owned. Got it my senior year in '79-'80.
It's a 1976 Pontiac 50th anniversary TA.
(celebrating 50 years of Pontiac of course not the TA) It was a 455 4 speed car (last year you could get the 455) had a Hurst t-top and factory Hurst shifter. they only made 110 of these with that combo of options. After moding the carb, opening up the shaker scoop, ditching the cats with duals and bumping the timing this smog car was pretty fast.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My toys I still have, '02 SS with a 6 speed that I bought new. It still has less than 11,000 miles and my '68 C10 with a warmed over 350 and a turbo 400.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Snyper, killer car! was it a 390? what trans a 4speed or a auto?
Originally Posted by Snyper
I had one of these in my younger, wilder days:
67 Mercury Cyclone GT:
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Dream Car - realized - 07/18/16
My favorite car was the new 1969 Ford XL convertible I ordered in black, a white top and positraction. The engine was the 429! A real powerhouse! It also had air conditioning and traction control with a tape player.

It was fantastic.

[Linked Image]

In the winter I drove my 1970 Olsmobile Toronado with snow tires on its front drive wheels.
shrapnel, nice Goat! 389 or 400 and what trans.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I remember my brother driving this car home when he bought it in 1969. I was in junior high school at the time and couldn't get over riding in the passenger seat with the handle on the dash and the awesome hood scoop.

I loved that car and only 2 years later I bought it from him when he bought a new GTO Judge. That was over 45 years ago, and I still love that car...

[Linked Image]
Wacenturian, that's a nice SS vert there!
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Just for fun.............1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible....1 of 251 convertibles made in a production total of 967 30th SS's. This one was build #485, and is a 6 speed.

I did however put some old school on it with the SuperSport emblem off a 66'Malibu that I inserted in the hood scope. Fit perfectly.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Supersportemblem029.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Dannyscar003.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Supersportemblem012.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/throttlebody001.jpg.html][Linked Image]

CCCC, Love the color of that vette. not to common. small block or big block. looks like a small block with that hood but I'm not real up on vettes.
Originally Posted by CCCC
After our 4th daughter came along I saw the handwriting on the wall and decided I had better get my dream car and drive it for a long time. It was 1971 and I wanted a no-extras nimble powerhouse that would outrun anything US around at the time. Finally found this 1967 V and have been running it for 45 years.

[Linked Image]
aalf, love early 2nd gen Camaros, not many left with their rust issues. Is yours a auto or 4 speed?

1973 Z-28

[Linked Image]

Dad's former tenant had a 67 Split window Vette 427 for sale , between NJ insurance rates and the fact I had no job as a HS freshman I could not swing it .

Side Note : A friend had a very nice 55 Vette that he traded in for a brand new 1976 MOntecarlo even up . He never lived that down .

I used to work with an old fellow that was a German immigrant that traded his first car( '57 Chev. Belair convertible,white with white roof and red interior ) for a then new 66 VW Beetle and got 1,500 in cash. Poor old fellow probably still kicks himself Daily!!!!!
Posted By: slg888 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Got mine last year 650hp Z06

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
The new Vettes are sharp looking, very aggressive. The new Z06 with the supercharged 6.2 might make more power, but the previous Z06 with the 505hp 7 liter engine sounds wonderful

Dream car:

[Linked Image]

Fast & gorgeous, and the Daytona influenced many other car designs.

I threatened to buy a 911 a couple years ago. Of course I then discovered it was absolutely impossible to store a rifle in it, except for the passenger seat.

Hard to say, might do a boat in a couple years. Might do a sports car, too... smile
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/18/16
Originally Posted by 1911a1
shrapnel, nice Goat! 389 or 400 and what trans.

[Linked Image]

It has a 400 with Tri-Power and a 4 speed Muncie with a 355 Posi-traction rear end. The second picture is about 43 years ago, things were different in those days...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by 1911a1
aalf, love early 2nd gen Camaros, not many left with their rust issues. Is yours a auto or 4 speed?

1973 Z-28

[Linked Image]

Thanks.....4 speed of course.

In response to your Super Duty 455 dream..... when I found out that 74 was the last year of the 455 Super Duty Firebirds, I went to the local Pontiac dealer to order one, and missed the deadline by a week......bummer. They're currently bringing 4-5 times what my Z-28 will now.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
I like the white with this body style. a true modern American super car
Originally Posted by slg888
Got mine last year 650hp Z06

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Roger did you ever finish that 64 you were working on?
Originally Posted by northern_dave
My favorite Ford is a 1964 galaxie, 2 dr hdtp fastback roof.

Favorite Chevy is a 1955 bel air 2 dr hdtp.

Hint: Stay tuned. whistle

grin

That's either the rarest car in the world or he had a 63. laugh
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by tzone
Roger did you ever finish that 64 you were working on?
no still setting in storage
, oilfield crashing killed that for a while.
I'll get around to getting one someday

[Linked Image]
Dan, that was my dad's dream car for a long time too. He finally bought one about 15 years ago. He drove out to western NY and pulled home a 57 T-bird. I think he bought it for $8500. It was in 100 pieces. He brought it home, restored it and drove it for about 5 years.

He sold it because it was uncomfortable, and no matter what he did, it over heated like a SOB.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by joken2

Early 50s MG TD, in British Racing Green w/tan interior or white w/red or tan interior, and preferably with spoke wheels:

[Linked Image]

I always wanted one of those and finally got a 1954 TF, but sold it to fund a fishing expedition in Nothwest Russia....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16

[Linked Image]

I always wanted one of those and finally got a 1954 TD, but sold it to fund a fishing expedition in Nothwest Russia....

[Linked Image]

I'm currently working on a friend's 1947 TC.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16

[Linked Image]

I always wanted one of those and finally got a 1954 TD, but sold it to fund a fishing expedition in Nothwest Russia....

[Linked Image]

Nice lookng car!

Those old MGs were extremely rare around my area. A local lawyer had the only one I remember seeing driven even semi-regularly on the street. His was British Racing Green. He told me he bought his back in the 50s when he was in the military stationed in Europe and had it shipped back home when he ETS'd.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
I'd be plum happy with a '72 Dodge Demon..

Mom and Dad had one. 340 4bbl, 727 torqueflite and 3.55:1 gears. Uncles told me that was one of the quickest cars off the line they'd seen. Folks bought it new in 72 and sold it in 75. I ran a title search on it when I was 15 (1990) to see if it was around. Kid who bought it from mom and dad totaled it out 6 weeks later.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
[Linked Image]

They hit the bottom of their depreciation curve a couple years ago and I was in a position to pay cash for one, but didn't. Prices have gone up ~50% and I doubt I'll ever see a clean one South of six figures.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
1970 Toyota FJ40

[Linked Image]
Posted By: powdr Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
1958 Corvette w/louvered hood. powdr
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'll get around to getting one someday

[Linked Image]

I always wanted one of these too, but they rattle and are not as dependable as you would like, so I got the later version and it is an extremely nice car...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Captain Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16

[Linked Image]

I always wanted one of those and finally got a 1954 TF, but sold it to fund a fishing expedition in Nothwest Russia....

[Linked Image]

My uncle has a 1953 TD with special SU carbs that was raced at Watkins Glen. For a time in the sixties it had leopard skin upholstery. laugh crazy grin
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
[Linked Image]

They hit the bottom of their depreciation curve a couple years ago and I was in a position to pay cash for one, but didn't. Prices have gone up ~50% and I doubt I'll ever see a clean one South of six figures.

Saw one of those in the flesh once, and stopped walking and just stared at it...transfixed as he drove by smile

Anywhere from 380 to 440 hp, big lungs on that redhead smile
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
I sort of gravitated to trucks, though...

[Linked Image]

A Willys 4x4 pickup is pretty cool. Lot of work in one of them, but oozes cool... smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucktales Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
There's many, but I always wanted one of these since I was a kid...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeS Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
I'm fortunate to have a gig driving the auction cars at Barrett Jackson each year. One of my favorites this last winter was a Shelby GT350 Anniversary Edition
[Linked Image]

Posted By: jpb Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by Captain
My uncle has a 1953 TD with special SU carbs that was raced at Watkins Glen. For a time in the sixties it had leopard skin upholstery. laugh crazy grin

Ughhhh!

I now have this mental image of Ingwe wearing nothing but his usual leopard skin thong sitting on that leopard skin upholstery...

He is smiling too...

Make it stop!

[Linked Image]

John

Posted By: MikeS Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Gotta love the 427's

[Linked Image]

Not as much as the guy that paid $1.45M for this one though...
In the Walmart lot this PM. A 95 Chevy truck and trailer with a red Mustang fastback.

I had to drive over, take a look, and chat with the guy driving the truck. It was a 71 Mach 1 with (of course) 351 Cleveland.

He told me it was all factory original, out of Burns Or, with about 30 K on the odometer.

From a distance it looked pristine, from ten feet there were a few signs of honest wear, a few small rock chips on the lower quarter panels.

She was a beatiful 45 year old lady. Wish I could have gotten a pic.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/19/16
Originally Posted by NVhntr
1970 Toyota FJ40

[Linked Image]

Yup.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/20/16
Should us car folks want to wonder where the evening went. grin

http://blog.hemmings.com

So many cars so little time or space. I enjoyed my 76 Alfa but there are a few others when I have that time and space thing in a few more years.

One of the projects will be talking my uncle out of his 51 Ford pickup that has been in the garage at the farm in KY since 71 with 19,000 miles on the clock. I've been wearing him down for about 20 years. I can tell he's getting weak. grin
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by NVhntr
1970 Toyota FJ40

[Linked Image]

Yup.

I just want to be there to see her step up into the driver's seat wearing those cut off jeans.

WOW!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Dream Car - not realized - 07/22/16
Found one! Gotta start saving my pocket change laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was a dream realized. I already had the 944 when I bought this. It turned out to not be such a dream... The repair bills were high, the heater and air conditioning didn't work well, there was no room for shooting equipment, it wasn't remotely as comfortable as the 944... It was quick, a lot quicker than I cared about... I sold it and kept the 944.

In retrospect, I wish I had kept it... it's now worth three times what I paid for it, per Hagerty's. It was lovely to look at, no oil leaks but I just didn't love it enough.

The picture was taken in early fall in front of the small lake we have on our property.
One of these in Carrera format. Got to toodle around town in one of the same color scheme back in the '70s. Roller crank, 4 cylinders, dry sump oil and motorcross gears. 0-60 so fast it made your eyes water. Top end was about 90. It raced Le Mans in a different configuration before it went to Yurp street racing. Zoom-zoom...

[Linked Image]
of all the cars ever made, I want this one. Had one nearly like it back in the day.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
Like Battue:

[Linked Image]

but a 67, 427 Tri Power

in either the Blue or Green that was available in that year...

on another note, that Willy's J Model in the back ground...

My granddad had one, and it was his favorite car....

all I remember him having when I was growing up, was that Willys and a 49 or 50 Chevy pickup... which he still was driving when he passed back in 68.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
[Linked Image]

This was a dream realized. I already had the 944 when I bought this. It turned out to not be such a dream... The repair bills were high, the heater and air conditioning didn't work well, there was no room for shooting equipment, it wasn't remotely as comfortable as the 944... It was quick, a lot quicker than I cared about... I sold it and kept the 944.

In retrospect, I wish I had kept it... it's now worth three times what I paid for it, per Hagerty's. It was lovely to look at, no oil leaks but I just didn't love it enough.

The picture was taken in early fall in front of the small lake we have on our property.

My dad got my mom a 944, I don't know what he was thinking as she wasn't in the least a sports car person. That said, the few times I drove it I got an appreciation for it's wonderful handling. I keep debating finding a 944 turbo with a blown engine and doing an LS swap. With 400 hp it would be just about right, and still retains it's 50/50 weight balance.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
I've had 3 corvette's all black on black paint/interior .
A new 81' 4-spd when I was 21 years old -big block 468 cube motor swap , race track level suspension kit . A-Frames off all nylon bushings -Koni adjustable shocks -new springs -sway bars kit lowered the car about 3/4" gave it a perfect stance - black Epsilon wheels .

An 80' L-82 [4 bolt main/forged internals] automatic bought in 91' with 10K miles on it from the original owner .
Planned on making it a turbo or blower car about the same set-up as the first -but it was just too nice to mess with .
It more -less just sat in the garage while I pondered what I was going to do with it.
A local Corvette guy asked to buy it a few times -one day I told him it was for sale . I had put about 4-500 miles on it in 2 years -so it was gone. In stock form they were VERY SLOW back them .

Bought a new 93' 6-spd ordered it without all the optional mumbo-jumbo -no power seats -multiple suspension setting stuff to keep it light weight .
Put a cold air -ram air system on it changed ring/pinion from 3.55 too 3.92 .
Had it to 164 mph when I quit looking at the speedo -maybe 167-8 ? Did that a couple of times --destroyed the brakes the first time I did it warped both rotors bad . The brakes were welding up and shaking the car so hard you'd have to have been in it to believe it , once down too 120ish the brakes had basically no stopping power . Very scary and super dangerous thing to have happen.

I've thought long a hard about getting a 2001-2005 Z-06 there's an 05' red one in Dallas for $25K with only 3,000 miles on it.
But I have a business that takes a lot of driving on my part one wreckless operation ticket and my insurance would be equal to a mortgage payment .

BUT -something like this car below sure does get my heart rate up -maybe back off 1,000hp though smile..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: 1minute Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
12 cylinder, XKE Jag coup convertible.
Jag
Posted By: Teal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
I randomly got a 5.0 Fox Body mustang restoration catalog in the mail today. Rekindled the fire right back up again.

I need a job that pays bout 10k more a month to scratch all these itches...
Posted By: mathman Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
I randomly got a 5.0 Fox Body mustang restoration catalog in the mail today. Rekindled the fire right back up again.

More? Right now I'd be damn happy with a job paying 10K a month to begin with.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16

Unless you're looking for a winter project, and I encourage those, just go buy a perfect one.

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php...-the-day-1990-ford-mustang-gt-hatchback/

Posted By: Teal Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/05/16
Originally Posted by mathman

More? Right now I'd be damn happy with a job paying 10K a month to begin with.

I survive now ok but another 10k a month would make life super nice.

Posted By: hanco Re: Dream Car - not realized - 08/06/16
My dream car is an old fifties dodge power wagon truck.
My first car was a 1969 Chevelle SS. I always wanted another one. About 10 years ago, one of my customers came by with a '68 he had bought. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I had first dibs. About 5 years ago, he came to me and wanted to sell it and he couldn't afford to give it the necessary repairs. So I bought it. Even though it looked good, it needed a lot of work to get it to where it is now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a big block, but not sure about the c.i. The serial numbers on the block trace back to a 1967 Impala SS. It's been redone, but it seems pretty stock.

[Linked Image]

The car originally had a 2 speed Powerglide on the tree with a bench seat. The seat was shot and the shifter was a little screwed up because now it has a 3 speed Turbo 400. So I had the guy who's been doing the work on it, put in stock buckets with the stock console 3 speed shifter.

[Linked Image]

I think I have more money in it than it's worth. But you only live once and I don't see me ever selling it, so it doesn't really matter. When the time comes, it'll be handed down to my son.
Posted By: battue Re: Dream Car - not realized - 09/04/16
Modern day dream. Traded the 2010 in and picked up this 2016 yesterday. I and family have had a bunch of Vettes, but this is one smooth/quick ride. They just keep getting better....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kcl Re: Dream Car - not realized - 09/10/16
Bad Ass!! Nice Harry..
Posted By: k20350 Re: Dream Car - not realized - 09/10/16

[Linked Image]

A friend of mines father worked at Buick City where they built these. He has one in his garage he bought new with less than 3k on the clock.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Dream Car - not realized - 09/11/16
my dream car lately is a 2012-up z28 camaro. 550+ hp, supercharger, 4 wheel disc brakes, 6 speed and unbelievable handling package. they make the old ones look like a granny car. and they can be had for 30k or so. now i just need an extra 30k
Originally Posted by CCCC
Dad's former tenant had a 67 Split window Vette 427 for sale . .

That former tenant must have been a genius at mods - the 63 coupe was the only year for the rear window divider trim.

'63 split window coupe is my dream car. I actually got to drive one many years ago. Deep emerald green with matching green interior, four-speed, and 43+K miles on the odometer.

Sigh...

Ed
© 24hourcampfire