Home
My dog is in emergency surgery at the vet school hospital. Waiting to hear how the surgery went. They did not want to wait until tomorrow and called in the surgery team. My lab chomped down some corn cobs 2 weeks ago. Some made it out but apparently there is a piece blocking her small intestine. Hoping for the best.
Pulling for you all from N.C.
That terrible, I'm hoping for the best. My dog loves sweet corn cobs. I never thought they'd be harmful. God speed!
I had a Lab swallow a piece of corn cob. A couple of days later he barfed it up. Dodged a bullet there. I made sure it wouldn't happen again. Labs will eat anything.

Best wishes for a good resolution
Hope your dog comes out of it in fine shape,

Thanks for the warning.

Ours (whippet) got a pan of roasted potatoes off the counter last night when my wife went out to the car for something. By the time she got back in, he had them all down. Tossed them up later too tho, so pretty much a waste for all concerned.

I sent the info to my wife about the cobs, we'll be careful from now on.

Geno
A friend of mine used to have a lab that would eat blue crabs until he got sick & barfed 'em up , then he would eat 'em a second time.

Mike
I had a yellow lab who never, ever went in our trash. She was skittish and calm (odd for a lab, lol), but one day when she was 12, she decided to eat a bunch of sweet corn cobs from the trash.

Went to the vet, she put the dog on a lot of fiber and laxatives to try to pass everything, which seemed to work, thankfully. We lost the dog about 6 months later due to her age (she was a month shy of 13), and she got suddenly ill.

Good luck with your dog. Hopefully they get everything sorted out and she makes a full recovery!
Vet school hospital called me at 1:15 this morning. They got the blockage from her small intestine without having to do a resection. I got her there before any tissue started to die. Should be able to bring her home tomorrow. Thanks for all the good thoughts. We put the cob out for the chickens. Lesson learned.
Hope the pup does well.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Vet school hospital called me at 1:15 this morning. They got the blockage from her small intestine without having to do a resection. I got her there before any tissue started to die. Should be able to bring her home tomorrow. Thanks for all the good thoughts. We put the cob out for the chickens. Lesson learned.

You were lucky
glad to hear it worked out for him.
We thought we were out of the woods when all was well for 2 weeks and our regular vet did not see anything on the x-rays. Two weeks later to the day she threw up some cob that was still in her stomach. I thought great, that's the end of that BUT 1 big piece apparently moved into the small intestine too.

I noticed she was not quite herself yesterday and when she refused to eat I loaded her up for a quick ride to the vet school hospital ER. That place was fantastic and after preliminary tests and ultra sound and x-rays they got the surgical team together and decided not to wait to open her up.

They called me at 1:15 this morning as they promised to do after the surgery. They examined her entire digestion tract while they had her opened up. She is almost 3 years old and very fit and healthy so she should recover fast. I am glad I can still hunt her this winter.

Very expensive surgery but there was not much of a choice here.

Thanks all.
One of my friends lost his Airedale Terrier to corncob blockage.
She's damn lucky she has a good Dad :-)
I'm glad to hear this good news. Thanks for posting about this hazard.
Thats good news, glad the pup made it OK. Labs will indeed eat anything but Ive never had a dog that didn't want a buttery corn cob....
Ive had herding breed dogs for the last couple decades and one thing Ive found about them was they seem to have the ability to eat the God-awfullest things, and be able to barf up the undigestable portion.
That said however, the German Shepherds seem to have pretty weird parameters. Throw them in a dumpster and they'll eat their way out without so much as a burp. Feed them the finest filet mignon and they're sick and squirting out both ends for three days...
Glad your lab is on the mend!
Is this fresh sweet corn cob or dry field corn cob?
Thanks for posting. Glad your dog is o.k. Our lab rarely gets a table scrap but when we boil shrimp or crawfish she will get a half of a corn cob. It is a real treat to her after soaking in all that goodness. Maybe a new potato would be a better choice.

On a lighter note, we used to have a large male black lab that we adopted. He got into the garbage after a boil and ate a whole corn cob. The whole cob turned up in a BIG pile still fully intact. I shidt you not!
Good to hear she's OK. I'll tel my wife about that, our Lab eats everything in sight.
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

On a lighter note, we used to have a large male black lab that we adopted. He got into the garbage after a boil and ate a whole corn cob. The whole cob turned up in a BIG pile still fully intact. I shidt you not!

LOL laugh
Prayer sent. My dog back in the early 2000s swallowed a hunk of rubber from a chew toy and had the same thing happen. Thousands of dollars in surgery to remove it from his duodenum. He came through fine.
Originally Posted by kingston
Is this fresh sweet corn cob or dry field corn cob?

It was cooked sweet corn that we had already eaten off of. We gave the chickens the leftover cobs to peck on the remaining kernels.

Vet said corn cobs and socks can do a dog in. My vet buddy warned me to take action at the first sign of the dog being ill. Glad I listened!

Read on the internet where a dog went 4 months after eating cob and all was well until it finally got a blockage. owners went a few days to observe the dog and things went from bad to worse in a hurry.

i am treating cobs like rat poison for now on! eek
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats good news, glad the pup made it OK. Labs will indeed eat anything but Ive never had a dog that didn't want a buttery corn cob....
Ive had herding breed dogs for the last couple decades and one thing Ive found about them was they seem to have the ability to eat the God-awfullest things, and be able to barf up the undigestable portion.
That said however, the German Shepherds seem to have pretty weird parameters. Throw them in a dumpster and they'll eat their way out without so much as a burp. Feed them the finest filet mignon and they're sick and squirting out both ends for three days...
Glad your lab is on the mend!

I've been putting up the late Winter crop of Meat rabbits. The carcasses bag up and pack WAY smaller with the ribcages,forward spine, and necks omitted, ditto the tails,...and their gazillion small bones. These get parboiled a bit and become dog food,...
The place where I hang and butcher is kept sano and skookum with regular application of clean crushed "bedding sand". Mixed in with my native silty clay, and soaked in fresh rabbit blood, it apparently is perceived as dog ice cream by my Queensland and Aussie Shepherd mutt.

...they drop turds that, once sun baked, look like black concrete or Tufa rock with brilliant bright white flecks throughout. I varnished a couple and laid em' on a friend's swap meet table with alla' the other interesting rocks,...it was fun to have a cold one and watch folks picking em' up and puzzling over em' / earnestly discussing the morphology.

My "Herding Breeds'...they do pretty well rustling and chowing down on the wild rabbits and rats around here,...so their scat can (and does) also look pretty much like wolf or coyote, too.

GTC

Oh, glad your pup's on the mend !

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

...they drop turds that, once sun baked, look like black concrete or Tufa rock with brilliant bright white flecks throughout. I varnished a couple and laid em' on a friend's swap meet table with alla' the other interesting rocks,...it was fun to have a cold one and watch folks picking em' up and puzzling over em' / earnestly discussing the morphology.

Well damn , don't leave us hanging. What was the consensus of the rockologists ?

Mike
One fella asked if they'd been found in an old ruins. Thought they were coproliths.

The varnish was pretty fragile, and once the things crumbled a bit they started to smell like what they actually are. eek grin

I'm inspired to maybe use acra-glas or some other clear resin.

Raining too much to get anything very "sun baked" at this time,...
.7" overnight.

GTC
Still hoping we can bring her home tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sure glad things went well.

She looks like a real beauty and a fun companion.

Thank you sir for being a great "doggie dad".

Geno
I like good news.
I had a beagle that ate a whole porkchop bone once. It made it all the way through him until it got hung up in his ass. He was walking around with the end of the bone sticking out and the T part hung up inside his bunghole. It was pretty funny.
I love good news.
Have a Boston that sneaked a cob out of the garbage and ate it. He passed his.
Glad it sounds like things are good,
Labs do eat some weird stuff,makes you wonder.
Ours have eaten just about anything you can imagine,
Christmas lights,racoon limbs,socks,my wifes undies,the list goes on.
glad yours is ok,and good to know about corn cobs
Buds old pointer started to act down. Then he started to ger distended. Brian self diagnosed it as stomach cancer and said he would take him out back and put him down when he came home from work. His Daughter took the Dog to the vet in the afternoon. Corn cobs it was and the vet got them out without surgery. His Daughter said if you get bad sick around here drive yourself to the hospital before Dad finds out. smile

Dog had a few more years to go.
We all laughed when we threw some corn cobs to my Drahthaar pup a few years ago. Chomp Chomp swallow and repeat.

No one was laughing the next morning at the vet clinic as he was telling us about the operation he was going to perform RIGHT NOW,
It's a physiological impossibility for a dog to "digest" a corn cob, wrong chemistry.
Daughter and son in law were taking a deposit to the bank from his business with her Lab in the back seat with the money in an envelope. When they got to the bank the money and the envelope were both gone. She used a big syringe to pump hydrogen peroxide down the dogs throat and she coughed up 700 dollars and the envelope. They were able to piece it back together and didn't lose any.
I'm glad things worked out for you and the dog! A guy in our gun club lost a Brittany to a corn cob and my neighbor lost a basset hound to a peach pit that he raided from the garbage.
We used to grow sweet corn and when we went out to pick it, we would give the lab a runt ear for herself. Uncooked and un buttered. Just off the stalk. She only ate the kernels and never the cob. She was a great dog.

kwg
Thanks for posting this. Our old female lab likes the occasional cob we toss her. The lab/setter mix won't touch them.

I will no longer be feeding corn cobs that is for sure. Thanks again!
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
Daughter and son in law were taking a deposit to the bank from his business with her Lab in the back seat with the money in an envelope. When they got to the bank the money and the envelope were both gone. She used a big syringe to pump hydrogen peroxide down the dogs throat and she coughed up 700 dollars and the envelope. They were able to piece it back together and didn't lose any.

Back when I was a kid we had an old black lab that was always getting into everything. One time he was caught with his nose in mom's purse probably trying to get at a piece of candy. When she yelled at him, he came out with a $100 dollar bill which he promptly swallowed. My dad poured a whole bottle of ex-lax down his throat hoping it would come out the other end in one piece. That dog crapped from one end of his kennel to the other and all points inbetween but that bill never showed up. Finally figured that it was probably counterfeit and he couldn't pass it.
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50

Peroxide is the stuff for sure. When my Lab was about six months old, he swallowed a Beanie Baby whole. I knew that wouldn't end well, so dumped a dose of peroxide down his hatch, which produced his "snack" in about 30 seconds.
My girl came home today. She is hurting some but not as bad as Sunday when we took her in. She is eating and walking around too. The next 3-5 days are the most critical and we will be watching her close. Dang dogs. grin

Cant wait for hunting season with her!
That is one great feeling!! I hope all goes well.
© 24hourcampfire