Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My dog is in emergency surgery at the vet school hospital. Waiting to hear how the surgery went. They did not want to wait until tomorrow and called in the surgery team. My lab chomped down some corn cobs 2 weeks ago. Some made it out but apparently there is a piece blocking her small intestine. Hoping for the best.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Pulling for you all from N.C.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That terrible, I'm hoping for the best. My dog loves sweet corn cobs. I never thought they'd be harmful. God speed!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I had a Lab swallow a piece of corn cob. A couple of days later he barfed it up. Dodged a bullet there. I made sure it wouldn't happen again. Labs will eat anything.

Best wishes for a good resolution

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope your dog comes out of it in fine shape,

Thanks for the warning.

Ours (whippet) got a pan of roasted potatoes off the counter last night when my wife went out to the car for something. By the time she got back in, he had them all down. Tossed them up later too tho, so pretty much a waste for all concerned.

I sent the info to my wife about the cobs, we'll be careful from now on.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine used to have a lab that would eat blue crabs until he got sick & barfed 'em up , then he would eat 'em a second time.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a yellow lab who never, ever went in our trash. She was skittish and calm (odd for a lab, lol), but one day when she was 12, she decided to eat a bunch of sweet corn cobs from the trash.

Went to the vet, she put the dog on a lot of fiber and laxatives to try to pass everything, which seemed to work, thankfully. We lost the dog about 6 months later due to her age (she was a month shy of 13), and she got suddenly ill.

Good luck with your dog. Hopefully they get everything sorted out and she makes a full recovery!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Vet school hospital called me at 1:15 this morning. They got the blockage from her small intestine without having to do a resection. I got her there before any tissue started to die. Should be able to bring her home tomorrow. Thanks for all the good thoughts. We put the cob out for the chickens. Lesson learned.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hope the pup does well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Vet school hospital called me at 1:15 this morning. They got the blockage from her small intestine without having to do a resection. I got her there before any tissue started to die. Should be able to bring her home tomorrow. Thanks for all the good thoughts. We put the cob out for the chickens. Lesson learned.

You were lucky

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
glad to hear it worked out for him.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We thought we were out of the woods when all was well for 2 weeks and our regular vet did not see anything on the x-rays. Two weeks later to the day she threw up some cob that was still in her stomach. I thought great, that's the end of that BUT 1 big piece apparently moved into the small intestine too.

I noticed she was not quite herself yesterday and when she refused to eat I loaded her up for a quick ride to the vet school hospital ER. That place was fantastic and after preliminary tests and ultra sound and x-rays they got the surgical team together and decided not to wait to open her up.

They called me at 1:15 this morning as they promised to do after the surgery. They examined her entire digestion tract while they had her opened up. She is almost 3 years old and very fit and healthy so she should recover fast. I am glad I can still hunt her this winter.

Very expensive surgery but there was not much of a choice here.

Thanks all.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my friends lost his Airedale Terrier to corncob blockage.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
She's damn lucky she has a good Dad :-)

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'm glad to hear this good news. Thanks for posting about this hazard.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Thats good news, glad the pup made it OK. Labs will indeed eat anything but Ive never had a dog that didn't want a buttery corn cob....
Ive had herding breed dogs for the last couple decades and one thing Ive found about them was they seem to have the ability to eat the God-awfullest things, and be able to barf up the undigestable portion.
That said however, the German Shepherds seem to have pretty weird parameters. Throw them in a dumpster and they'll eat their way out without so much as a burp. Feed them the finest filet mignon and they're sick and squirting out both ends for three days...
Glad your lab is on the mend!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this fresh sweet corn cob or dry field corn cob?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for posting. Glad your dog is o.k. Our lab rarely gets a table scrap but when we boil shrimp or crawfish she will get a half of a corn cob. It is a real treat to her after soaking in all that goodness. Maybe a new potato would be a better choice.

On a lighter note, we used to have a large male black lab that we adopted. He got into the garbage after a boil and ate a whole corn cob. The whole cob turned up in a BIG pile still fully intact. I shidt you not!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good to hear she's OK. I'll tel my wife about that, our Lab eats everything in sight.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

On a lighter note, we used to have a large male black lab that we adopted. He got into the garbage after a boil and ate a whole corn cob. The whole cob turned up in a BIG pile still fully intact. I shidt you not!

LOL laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,126
Posts18,523,060
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.