Home
According to Tim Herron of Team Sig Sauer there is a lot of misinformation from Armchair Experts. He breaks down five things he advises to be a better shooter.

Dryfire. It’s real. And it works. It also costs NOTHING but an investment of your time and the benefits are endless.
Training Classes do not make a better shooter. Practicing what you learn from those classes is what makes you a better shooter. Training classes merely gives you new ideas to practice on.
Gear is never the answer. You can improve with what you have.
Focus your practice on purposeful things. Things that really apply. Literal tons of repetitions both in dryfire and live fire and immense amount of PURPOSEFUL rounds down range.
Finally, stop with the delusions of self grandeur. Want to start truly improving? Quit BS’ing each other on the Internet and get your rear end to work. You don’t learn this stuff by osmosis. And you certainly don’t get better at any of this by repeating the baseless BS you read or heard some supposed “hardcore operator or competitor” say out of context to someone else 3rd person.
Tim has some good points and some of them seem obvious. However I do argue against the “gear is never the answer”. If gear is not the answer then why do people not compete with Hipoints? To a certain degree gear matters. There is a reason people don’t use Uncle Mike’s holsters for serious shooting. Also gear can help with some shortcomings one may have. For example, red dots on handguns is easier and quicker for people with poor eyesight.
All true.
I would take that to mean gear is not a substitute for the other things. A beginner is going to play a Martin as badly as they'd play a cheap guitar.

Not an argument in favor of cheap stuff, it rarely doesn't pay to get the best one can afford whether shooting gear, guitars or golf clubs, just don't expect some magical increase in skill from it. Rather, expect it to keep pace with you as your skill grows into it.
It's like golf, some sticks are better than others but no club is going to turn a hack into scratch player. And in fact, the ones who be benefit most are the great players who want the ability to carve a shot a little better.
Dryfire. It’s real. And it works. It also costs NOTHING but an investment of your time and the benefits are endless.
Unless you're one of the idiots who doesn't know that dropping the mag doesn't unload the chamber.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
All true.

yes and no. Were it not for training classes, the uninitiated would have nothing to practice. Everything starts somewhere. I can't think of an instance, where training classes made for a less qualified shooter.

If everything Tim Herron said was 'true', then we would have little reason to buy SIG pistols in the first place. Grand Dad's Tripple Lock Smith would suffice.
First three shots a 44 year old woman ever shot in her life: (Remington M700 LongRange 30-06, 178 AMAX @ 100 yards.)

I was expecting to see a five to ten inch group but was quite surprised when we got to the target. So maybe NO practice ever is the answer?

[Linked Image]
I was enlightened and embarrassed the other day when I drew my P226 40 cal and fired one round quickly in double action mode at 25 yards, I pulled the shot to 8 o'clock and damn near missed the box. blush
Admit it, you just didn't like the part that said "quit BSing each other on the internet."
For example, red dots on handguns is easier and quicker for people with poor eyesight.
Lasers, too and I prefer Holosights. I've seen Holosights take a first time lady shooter with a nice Smith 6" barreled 22 revolver, who could barely hit the paper with irons start shooting groups with a Holosighted Ruger Mark II .22 nearly immediately. Of course, had I given her back her iron sighted Smith she would have done no, or little better with it, most likely. But, with enough practice with the Holosighted gun her muscle memory and improvinging trigger control would be as useful with the Smith as with a Holosighted Ruger. And she's not the only one I've found this with.

Aiming is thought by novices to be the critical and most important aspect of shooting. We all know, it is one important aspect but hold, grip tension, posture, trigger control, follow through and consistency is also critical and every one as important in getting the shot where you want it. When they understand that where the red dot is, is where the shot will go, all of the above aspects seem to sort themselves out when what they once considered all important, aiming, is conquered. Of course, there is a need for critique on things such as trigger control, grip tension, etc, but when they can start hitting paper and grouping they become less frustrated and understand they can do this too.

Flame on. grin
There might be better tools available today that do more things for the average person, but Bill Hickok or the like would still win the majority of fights (vast majority) with his 1851 Navy revolvers.

You should use the best you can afford, but nothing replaces skill and practice.
All true,but if a new shooter never gets to a class,they tend to fumble around lot because they never learn the basics.

When I was conducting NRA Basic Pistol courses, I had a lot of guys come in that professed they knew how to shoot, but only wanted the class so they could get their CCW permit. Many benefited from the class, but their were quite a few that had closed minds and never progressed. It was the new shooters that made the best graduates.

It is BS articles like this that make people think they don't need any instructions
If I have to go to school/class, or ask someone a question, it means I don't know chit about the subject at hand, I never had a problem keeping my mouth shut and ears open. wink
Once again, I'll go to golf for an example. There is a saying that you should never get lessons unless you intend to practice a lot. If you get lessons and don't practice, all you've gained is a bunch of new swing thoughts to mess you up. You have to take those lessons and practice them so that they become ingrained and you have muscle memory. Then, the lessons may do you some good if you had a good teacher.

Same with those classes and the same with what he is saying. Take the class and then practice what you are taught at the class.
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Now to practice what I preach.....
Hickock according to legend, shot every day and kept his loads fresh. He also had the proper mindset for gunfighting. A lot of don't, will "think" first.
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
First three shots a 44 year old woman ever shot in her life: (Remington M700 LongRange 30-06, 178 AMAX @ 100 yards.) I was expecting to see a five to ten inch group but was quite surprised when we got to the target. So maybe NO practice ever is the answer?
[Linked Image]

Good on you for walking her through the proper way to shoot!

Her two biggest assets in making that group are, in order, no bad habits or attitudes to break, and you for teaching her correctly. I'm also guessing you properly made a fuss over her. grin

Congratulations to the young lady for the group.

Ed
Originally Posted by gunner500
If I have to go to school/class, or ask someone a question, it means I don't know chit about the subject at hand, I never had a problem keeping my mouth shut and ears open. wink
Reminds me of a story about an army captain who was an expert on some field. He was teaching a class on the subject to a group of senior officers, colonels and generals. He stood up in front of the class and looked the brass on the uniforms of his audience and said "Gentlemen, there are at least 20 men in this army who know more about this subject than I do. However, I see none of them here today so lets get down to business."
BWAHAHA, da truth hurts sometime! wink
Originally Posted by gunner500

Amen! If you're not learning, you're dying.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
First three shots a 44 year old woman ever shot in her life: (Remington M700 LongRange 30-06, 178 AMAX @ 100 yards.) I was expecting to see a five to ten inch group but was quite surprised when we got to the target. So maybe NO practice ever is the answer?
[Linked Image]

Good on you for walking her through the proper way to shoot!

Her two biggest assets in making that group are, in order, no bad habits or attitudes to break, and you for teaching her correctly. I'm also guessing you properly made a fuss over her. grin

Congratulations to the young lady for the group.

Ed

Even better part was I had her hand load the cartridges on the press. (59 grains of SuperPerformance)

My range is 10 steps from the reloading bench (I also have a 100 yard zero lane facing the opposite direction):

[Linked Image]

100 yard:

[Linked Image]
Outstanding!

Next question is, when does she get her own rifle? grin

Ed
Yup, have also never understood the need for some men to barge into a group discussion spouting bullchit to be part of the group/team so to speak, while everyone else there speaking knows it's BS, guess I've never had the need to be an expert authoritarian on everything.

I like to keep quiet, learn, then earn a spot on the squad. smile
Repetition is the key to success in shooting. once a procedure is burned into the brain you will default to this even under stress or duress and this is what practice does for you . Lots of people can't afford enough ammo to practice enough for this to happen. The problem with most so called experts who teach these classes have never been shot at. When i was in school the only thing i was an expert at was keeping my mouth shut and listening
Outstanding!

Next question is, when does she get her own rifle? grin

Ed

As soon as I buy that "last" rifle I "need" first. It may be a long wait for her. Very long wait.
There are also those people that will never excell at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.
There are also those people that will never excel at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Getting to that perfect practice means going slow and deliberate until you are unconsciously competent.
Ironbender's sig line says it best, it's a quote from Pat Parelli, an internationally known horseman and horse trainer;

"If you take the time it takes, it takes less time."

Ed
There are also those people that will never excel at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

That's a favorite line of mine! I tell that to my football players and it's so true.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
All true,but if a new shooter never gets to a class,they tend to fumble around lot because they never learn the basics.

When I was conducting NRA Basic Pistol courses, I had a lot of guys come in that professed they knew how to shoot, but only wanted the class so they could get their CCW permit. Many benefited from the class, but their were quite a few that had closed minds and never progressed. It was the new shooters that made the best graduates.

It is BS articles like this that make people think they don't need any instructions

I hope your instruction is better than your reading comprehension.
You need both training in the fundamentals AND practice.

Try being an engineer without going to college. But you are not a very good engineer on the day you graduate.

It's the same with shooting or anything else. If all you do is practice, you may be reinforcing incorrect technique.
You cannot improve what you don't measure. If you want to improve, you first have to establish where you're at now.

You have to begin by shooting paper, and track your progress. Then once the basics of accuracy have been achieved, you add in a timer.

Do it right, then do it fast.

Dry fire is a lot like masturbation. Bust some caps.....
Originally Posted by GunGeek
You cannot improve what you don't measure. If you want to improve, you first have to establish where you're at now.

You have to begin by shooting paper, and track your progress. Then once the basics of accuracy have been achieved, you add in a timer.

You can most certainly improve without ever measuring.
"Measuring" just gives you a record to compare to.

Adding a timer won't make you faster nor slower.
When my brothers and I would have preferred burning all our .22 ammo on "dynamic" targets (tin cans, dump rats, etc) Dad insisted we spend a certain amount of time shooting paper. (You don't learn to shoot better by shooting tin cans," he'd always say.
Originally Posted by Snyper

You can most certainly improve without ever measuring.
"Measuring" just gives you a record to compare to.

Good luck getting results the grabastic way.

If you don't measure your progress, how do you know you're getting better?
Originally Posted by Snyper

JFC you're a clueless dumb fugk.

Dave

If you don't measure your progress, how do you know you're getting better?

He probably powerlifts with unmarked plates and trains for 10K's without a watch/timer.

Dave
© 24hourcampfire