Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
First three shots a 44 year old woman ever shot in her life: (Remington M700 LongRange 30-06, 178 AMAX @ 100 yards.) I was expecting to see a five to ten inch group but was quite surprised when we got to the target. So maybe NO practice ever is the answer?
[Linked Image]

Good on you for walking her through the proper way to shoot!

Her two biggest assets in making that group are, in order, no bad habits or attitudes to break, and you for teaching her correctly. I'm also guessing you properly made a fuss over her. grin

Congratulations to the young lady for the group.

Ed

Even better part was I had her hand load the cartridges on the press. (59 grains of SuperPerformance)

My range is 10 steps from the reloading bench (I also have a 100 yard zero lane facing the opposite direction):

[Linked Image]

100 yard:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MountainMariner; 07/26/16.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding!

Next question is, when does she get her own rifle? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, have also never understood the need for some men to barge into a group discussion spouting bullchit to be part of the group/team so to speak, while everyone else there speaking knows it's BS, guess I've never had the need to be an expert authoritarian on everything.

I like to keep quiet, learn, then earn a spot on the squad. smile

Trump Won!
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Repetition is the key to success in shooting. once a procedure is burned into the brain you will default to this even under stress or duress and this is what practice does for you . Lots of people can't afford enough ammo to practice enough for this to happen. The problem with most so called experts who teach these classes have never been shot at. When i was in school the only thing i was an expert at was keeping my mouth shut and listening

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Outstanding!

Next question is, when does she get her own rifle? grin

Ed

As soon as I buy that "last" rifle I "need" first. It may be a long wait for her. Very long wait.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
There are also those people that will never excell at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are also those people that will never excel at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Getting to that perfect practice means going slow and deliberate until you are unconsciously competent.
Ironbender's sig line says it best, it's a quote from Pat Parelli, an internationally known horseman and horse trainer;

"If you take the time it takes, it takes less time."

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are also those people that will never excel at shooting. No matter how much practice. If practice makes perfect there wouldn't be any bad automobile drivers over the age 30.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

That's a favorite line of mine! I tell that to my football players and it's so true.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
All true,but if a new shooter never gets to a class,they tend to fumble around lot because they never learn the basics.

When I was conducting NRA Basic Pistol courses, I had a lot of guys come in that professed they knew how to shoot, but only wanted the class so they could get their CCW permit. Many benefited from the class, but their were quite a few that had closed minds and never progressed. It was the new shooters that made the best graduates.

It is BS articles like this that make people think they don't need any instructions

I hope your instruction is better than your reading comprehension.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You need both training in the fundamentals AND practice.

Try being an engineer without going to college. But you are not a very good engineer on the day you graduate.

It's the same with shooting or anything else. If all you do is practice, you may be reinforcing incorrect technique.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You cannot improve what you don't measure. If you want to improve, you first have to establish where you're at now.

You have to begin by shooting paper, and track your progress. Then once the basics of accuracy have been achieved, you add in a timer.

Do it right, then do it fast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dry fire is a lot like masturbation. Bust some caps.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
You cannot improve what you don't measure. If you want to improve, you first have to establish where you're at now.

You have to begin by shooting paper, and track your progress. Then once the basics of accuracy have been achieved, you add in a timer.

You can most certainly improve without ever measuring.
"Measuring" just gives you a record to compare to.

Adding a timer won't make you faster nor slower.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When my brothers and I would have preferred burning all our .22 ammo on "dynamic" targets (tin cans, dump rats, etc) Dad insisted we spend a certain amount of time shooting paper. (You don't learn to shoot better by shooting tin cans," he'd always say.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper

You can most certainly improve without ever measuring.
"Measuring" just gives you a record to compare to.

Good luck getting results the grabastic way.

If you don't measure your progress, how do you know you're getting better?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snyper

JFC you're a clueless dumb fugk.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If you don't measure your progress, how do you know you're getting better?

He probably powerlifts with unmarked plates and trains for 10K's without a watch/timer.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,051
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.