Home
No surprise that a lack of morals negatively affects the poor more than the rich who can paper over their problems with money.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/20/legali...lower-class-poorer-and-less-responsible/

Legalized pot is making America’s lower class poorer and less responsible

By Naomi Schaefer Riley

August 20, 2016 | 5:35pm

Pot for the poor! That could be the new slogan of marijuana-legalization advocates.

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize the use of medical marijuana. There are now 25 states that permit the use of marijuana, including four as well as the District of Columbia that permit it for purely recreational use.

Colorado and Washington were the first to pass those laws in 2012. At least five states have measures on the ballot this fall that would legalize recreational use. And that number is only likely to rise with an all-time high (no pun intended) of 58 percent of Americans (according to a Gallup poll last year) favoring legalization.

The effects of these new laws have been immediate. One study, which collected data from 2011-12 and 2012-13 showed a 22 percent increase in monthly use in Colorado. The percentage of people there who used daily or almost daily also went up. So have marijuana-related driving fatalities. And so have incidents of children being hospitalized for accidentally ingesting edible marijuana products.

But legalization and our growing cultural acceptance of marijuana have disproportionately affected one group in particular: the lower class.

A recent study by Steven Davenport of RAND and Jonathan Caulkins of Carnegie Mellon notes that “despite the popular stereotype of marijuana users as well-off and well-educated . . . they lag behind national averages” on both income and schooling.

For instance, people who have a household income of less than $20,000 a year comprise 19 percent of the population but make up 28 percent of marijuana users. And even though those who earn more than $75,000 make up 33 percent of the population, 25 percent of them are marijuana users. Having more education also seems to make it less likely that you are a user. College graduates make up 27 percent of the population but only 19 percent of marijuana users.

The middle and upper classes have been the ones out there pushing for decriminalization and legalization measures, and they have also tried to demolish the cultural taboo against smoking pot. But they themselves have chosen not to partake very much. Which is not surprising. Middle-class men and women who have jobs and families know that this is not a habit they want to take up with any regularity because it will interfere with their ability to do their jobs and take care of their families.

But the poor, who already have a hard time holding down jobs and taking care of their families, are more frequently using a drug that makes it harder for them to focus, to remember things and to behave responsibly.

‘ Legalization and our growing cultural acceptance of marijuana have disproportionately affected one group in particular: the lower class.’

The new study, which looked at use rates between 1992 and 2013, also found that the intensity of use had increased in this time. The proportion of users who smoke daily or near daily has increased from 1 in 9 to 1 in 3. As Davenport tells me, “This dispels the idea that the typical user is someone on weekends who has a casual habit.”

Sally Satel, a psychiatrist and lecturer at Yale, says “it is ironic that the people lobbying for liberalized marijuana access do not appear to be the group that is consuming the bulk of it.” Instead, it’s “daily and near-daily users, who are less educated, less affluent and less in control of their use.”

In fact, the typical user is much more likely to be someone at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder, whose daily life is driven, at least in part, by the question of how and where to get more marijuana. Just consider the cost. Almost a third of users are spending a tenth of their income on marijuana. And 15 percent of users spend nearly a quarter of their income to purchase the drug. The poor have not only become the heaviest users, but their use is making them poorer.

To all the middle-class professionals out there reading this: Do you know anyone who spends a quarter of their income on pot? Of course not. But these are the people our policies and attitudes are affecting.

As the authors of the study note, marijuana use today actually more closely resembles tobacco use than alcohol use. Cigarette smoking has completely fallen off among the educated and well-off, while the poor and working class have continued their habits. Even as far back as 2008, a Gallup poll found that the rate of smoking among people making less than $24,000 a year was more than double that of those making $90,000 or more.

But at least the rates have been going down for everyone. Thanks to a cultural shift on the acceptability of smoking, awareness campaigns about its dangers and a variety of legal measures regarding smoking in public facilities, smoking is significantly less popular. You could object to some of these public policies on the grounds that the government should mind its own business. But the truth is that Americans across all incomes are now less likely to suffer from the harmful effects of smoking.

Maybe the upper classes in this country have some romantic notion of what marijuana can do to the mind (though we once thought cigarettes were terribly classy too). But it is time to get over such silliness and consider the real effects of our attitudes.

As Manhattan Institute fellow and psychiatrist Theodore Dalrymple, says, this is like the 1960s all over again. He tells me, “I’m afraid I can’t hear all that stuff about ‘tune in, drop out’ without being infuriated because the people affected really deleteriously [are] people at the bottom.”

This comes as a surprise? Many if not most of the chronically destitute got that way by making poor decisions. A high percentage of them are already alcoholics and/or addicts. Making marijuana legal and more easily available can have only one result.
More laws are what we need. Laws fix everything.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
This comes as a surprise? Many if not most of the chronically destitute got that way by making poor decisions. A high percentage of them are already alcoholics and/or addicts. Making marijuana legal and more easily available can have only one result.

Beat me to it. They are what they are because of their own behavioral patterns. Marijuana use is consistent with those behavioral patterns.
Happiness= good decisions. Many poor people aren't capable of making good decisions. Most are also lazy. Most people who have things are go getters. They get off their ass and go get it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
More laws are what we need. Laws fix everything.

Yup. crazy

And nothing like a government sponsored "study" to bring us all the facts. smirk
That article is a ginormous POS.

Dave
Marijuana madness propaganda remains alive.

A different take,,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...peace-looks-like-a-bargain/#3ebfad82167c
next time they have one of them BLM riots, the PoPo needs to roll up in an MRAP, push a button and eject a bale of kentucky greenbud and pull away. problem solved.
It will do the same to all classes, though the upper classes may be able to disguise and fund it better for a while. There is no up side to any proclivity that hides reality.
Let's see...

Poor people make up 28% of marijuana users. People making $75K and up comprise 25% of marijuana users.

And the availability of marijuana has increased since 1993.

Yeah. Real earth shattering stuff.

Dave
Sometimes the obvious is the least recognizable.
Keep the masses stoned (or drunk) and they are easier to control , much less likely to revolt.

Mike
Cheap legal alcohol has been doing this nationwide for decades, where's the outrage?
The weed is every where and HAS been readily available for a very long time. Reefer madness at its best. The article is blowing serious smoke up a lot of uniformed people's butt holes.

Bingo! There was no other possible outcome after the foolsish voted to legalize it.
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave
THIS!!!
Let's see...

Poor people make up 28% of marijuana users. People making $75K and up comprise 25% of marijuana users.

And the availability of marijuana has increased since 1993.

Yeah. Real earth shattering stuff.

Dave
Yet few if any of the $75k and up get no knock raids at 3am, and then thrown into prison. They can afford a lawyer who just may point out the long list of constitutional violations the cops do in one of their raids.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Yet few if any of the $75k and up get no knock raids at 3am, and then thrown into prison. They can afford a lawyer who just may point out the long list of constitutional violations the cops do in one of their raids.

Or could be they're smart enough to not be driving a 1984 Buick with expired plates, no exhaust, cracked windshield, broken taillight, on a suspended DL, while lighting up doing 50 in a school zone. Seriously, some idiots could just as easily wear a neon sign.

Originally Posted by quote
...expired plates...

OMG...!
Poverty has causes. Sometimes it's poor health. Other times it's a lack of resources. And still other times it's due to poor decisions - like a decision to buy pot instead of save.
The states that are for legalization, do not care who buys, as long as they get the tax money.
It is always about the money.
Sounds like somebody neglected to inform them that marijuana is a "I can take it or leave it" non-addictive non-drug.

Dave

Yup.

"The effects of these new laws have been immediate. One study, which collected data from 2011-12 and 2012-13 showed a 22 percent increase in monthly use in Colorado. The percentage of people there who used daily or almost daily also went up."

I wonder if it occurred to these researchers that once the activity was no longer illegal more people would be willing to tell a pollster / researcher that they smoked pot? Ya know - since there is no longer a threat of the criminal justice system destroying their life and all...

I think the people responsible for the article were stoned.
Your comment convinces me your screen name ought to be "tokin"
Your comment convinces me your screen name ought to be "tokin"

I see your point. Since there's not a tongue in cheek smiley thingy, I guess I ought to have at least put some crazy-wink-whistle-grin smileys.
Oh, well... crazy wink whistle grin
Consequences and unintended consequences.

How much money is now going into state coffers - and accounted for - that used to find its way up the ladder to criminals and thence into the hands of police and politicians as bribes?

Not saying that none of that money doesn't find its way into extralegal channels but given the option of doing things legally or illegally, or no option but to do things illegally, I'd say it was a pretty safe bet the average entrepreneur is going to stay on the legal side.

For a history lesson, just look at what happened across the USA when prohibition was repealed. People that didn't drink because it was illegal (damn few of them by 1933) probably had a drinky-poo or two just because they could, then after the novelty wore off they were either drunks or went back to their former sober lifestyle. Speakeasys dried up only to be replaced by legitimate bars selling a product of known ingredients; gangsters had to find other means of making money. Drinking overall probably didn't change much, but the avenues of revenue from drinking changed a lot.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Or could be they're smart enough to not be driving a 1984 Buick with expired plates, no exhaust, cracked windshield, broken taillight, on a suspended DL, while lighting up doing 50 in a school zone. Seriously, some idiots could just as easily wear a neon sign.

Oh sure, it sounds bad when you say it like that.
That is a crap article on a crap study. You really have to be careful of buying into the results of any study these days. There is so much pressure to get a result that will be popular and publish those skewed results. There is relatively little pressure to verify results.

Or could be they're smart enough to not be driving a 1984 Buick with expired plates, no exhaust, cracked windshield, broken taillight, on a suspended DL, while lighting up doing 50 in a school zone.

Bro...

I was in a dark place. Why you gotta bring up old schit?

Dave

"How much money is now going into state coffers - and accounted for - that used to find its way up the ladder to criminals and thence into the hands of police and politicians as bribes?

They cut out the middleman I see.
i was talking to a guy today about his son, getting ready to go to a college i graduated from in the 70's. where some friday nights you could get high just walking through the hallways, blue clouds hanging over the dorms.
And I have known more than one long term pot smoker. Not all of them went to harder drugs, but it is a gateway drug.
one thing i can remember is some of these guys in the 70's were stoned almost 24hours a day. Their lives didn't end well, and they didn't accomplish much.
I kind of feel the same about alcohol.
I didn't have the gene to get hooked on it, most of my family did. And it destroyed families. Just like abuse of just about anything will.
is Pot a good hiccup cure ? I have been trying to find something for a long time.
Persian.
Originally Posted by Raeford

"How much money is now going into state coffers - and accounted for - that used to find its way up the ladder to criminals and thence into the hands of police and politicians as bribes?

They cut out the middleman I see.

Basically, yes. wink
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Keep the masses stoned (or drunk) and they are easier to control , much less likely to revolt.

Mike

Worked real well for .gov in the late '60's, early '70's in SEA.
Originally Posted by persiandog
is Pot a good hiccup cure ? I have been trying to find something for a long time.
Persian.
There's a pressure point above the last knuckle and about at the cuticle on the side your middle finger. Press it on both sides and hiccups will disappear. Sometimes it has to be pressed on both middle fingers at the same time. A bit hard to do for some, probably more if you're stoned, but it works.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i was talking to a guy today about his son, getting ready to go to a college i graduated from in the 70's. where some friday nights you could get high just walking through the hallways, blue clouds hanging over the dorms.
And I have known more than one long term pot smoker. Not all of them went to harder drugs, but it is a gateway drug.
one thing i can remember is some of these guys in the 70's were stoned almost 24hours a day. Their lives didn't end well, and they didn't accomplish much.
I didn't have the gene to get hooked on it, most of my family did. And it destroyed families. Just like abuse of just about anything will.

Did you go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo by chance? wink
The 'gateway drug' argument has been shown to be a fallacy. Correlation is not causation. If it were, then oxygen is the original gateway drug, because everyone who goes on to become a heroin addict breathes oxygen. Same for drinking water.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

For all the talk about how pot is no worse than alcohol, respectfully that's bull. I know very few people that don't drink a beer or a glass of wine every now & then, and the ones that won't drink are the strict southern baptist types, they're teetotalers because their religion demands it. There are some drunks but the vast majority of people I know drink small amounts of alcohol on a recreational basis and are well functioning members of society, some of them really high achievers.

I don't know any occasional recreational pot users, every pot smoker I've ever known has either quit cold turkey or gone on to become a lethargic leech on society. Some of the ones that wouldn't quit the pot eventually moved on to cocaine or meth. Some I knew are dead from it.

I know it's chic and fashionable nowadays to equate pot with alcohol. Looking at the Malia Obama thread about her smoking pot and the "it's no big deal" responses shows that there are many here that want to downplay the dangers. Ironically, from a libertarian point of view I agree with legalizing it, I don't think it's any of the government's business what someone puts in their body. From a societal point of view, however, we're in for a lot more social problems as pot becomes more accepted. Just like when unwed motherhood became socially acceptable we ended up with a huge welfare roll, uncontrolled pot usage is going to result in the same situation. I already know about a half a dozen "disabled" people around my community that are milking the welfare system for all it's worth. Their only real disability is that they sit around stoned all day.
We live 30 miles from Colorado and since legalization I can't tell the difference around here. In our small population, we have a large segment of "poor folks". Almost all of them are poor because they won't work. Couples with kids may have one or the other work some, but almost never both of them. The drug supply was always here. Anything these folks spend is too much, whether it is pot, meth, alcohol, etc. Amazing how many of them are "disabled".
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't know any occasional recreational pot users,

That may be due to it being an illegal substance.

Dave

Or could be they're smart enough to not be driving a 1984 Buick with expired plates, no exhaust , cracked windshield, broken taillight, on a suspended DL, while lighting up doing 50 in a school zone. Seriously, some idiots could just as easily wear a neon sign.

SOP, where I live. laugh crazy
Bunk article on so many levels that I'm not gonna bother with it.

By the way it's not expensive at ALL in my AO.... you can buy clones under $20/ea, and you can legally grow 4, and it grows like a damn weed in this climate. For under $100 a guy can easily grow enough to supply himself and 10 of his best friends for the year, until the next crop. Oregon's legalization law has effectively REMOVED the cost. That's not to say it won't be a large thriving cash industry; it will. But it doesn't have to cost squat.
I don't know any occasional recreational pot users,

That may be due to it being an illegal substance.

Dave

I know quite a few. Also have known people that smoke from the time they wake up until the time they go to bed. Most of those people are worthless. A couple manage quite well.

A good friend smokes the hell out of weed, runs two very successful business, and raised two great kids. He's the exception.....by a mile.

Madmooner, not in my experience. I know a bunch of people just like that. I kinda AM one, though I don't "smoke the hell out of it".

Folks....... put down the schoolmarm cane for just a moment... it's a PEOPLE issue, not a weed issue. Some people are just losers.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Madmooner, not in my experience. I know a bunch of people just like that. I kinda AM one, though I don't "smoke the hell out of it".

Folks....... put down the schoolmarm cane for just a moment... it's a PEOPLE issue, not a weed issue. Some people are just losers.

....and a lot of losers just happen to smoke weed, correlation, not causation.
Curious if anyone personally knows or knows of someone who was legally allowed to use marijuana for medical reasons, but their health condition improved enough that they no longer truly needed it, voluntarily quit completely and surrendered their permit or whatever is required that allows them to legally purchase, possess, ingest?

If your people are anything like what we have here then dope is not much of a problem as that damned ice is what they all seem to be sucking into themselves.

From what I am told dope is almost non-existent around here.
Originally Posted by Pittu

....and a lot of losers just happen to smoke weed

And drink alcohol... drive cars... we need a PROGRAM to fix this!!

Only one solution. Adulthood shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege, granted at the mercy of the State in the form of an Adulthood Licence. Extensive psychological testing will be required, and it will need to be renewed bi-annually.

This Licence will be required for ANY adult activity, to include higher education, marriage, home ownership, etc.

People unable to pass the stringent tests to get said license will be housed in secure dormitories (don't you dare call them prisons!) where we will re-educate the dumbfückitude right outta them. We will administer truth serums to retroactively grade them out. You like rock and roll? You had premarital sex? You drank and drove once? Ran up a credit card? Had a meltdown in a relationship in high school where you turned into a pathetic püssy?

No license for YOU!

I bet there's a whole lot of non-dope-smokers on this forum that'd be living in those dorms.... just sayin'....

OR, we could stop with the nanny-state [bleep], some of y'all could mind your own damn business, and we could let freedom ring across the land, for better and worse.

I know how the folks in my AO voted.
Originally Posted by persiandog
Persian.

It'll make you forget about the hiccups, that's for sure.

Only one solution. Adulthood shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege, granted at the mercy of the State in the form of an Adulthood Licence. Extensive psychological testing will be required, and it will need to be renewed bi-annually.

This Licence will be required for ANY adult activity, to include higher education, marriage, home ownership, etc.

People unable to pass the stringent tests to get said license will be housed in secure dormitories (don't you dare call them prisons!) where we will re-educate the dumbfückitude right outta them. We will administer truth serums to retroactively grade them out. You like rock and roll? You had premarital sex? You drank and drove once? Ran up a credit card? Had a meltdown in a relationship in high school where you turned into a pathetic püssy?

No license for YOU!

I bet there's a whole lot of non-dope-smokers on this forum that'd be living in those dorms.... just sayin'....

OR, we could stop with the nanny-state [bleep], some of y'all could mind your own damn business, and we could let freedom ring across the land, for better and worse.

No need for all that....
Taking money from the government in the form of welfare, food stamps, disability, or what have you? "Please pee in this cup. Your check will be in the mail upon review of test results."

Smoke dope, drink whiskey, shoot junk IDGAF, but I sure don't want my tax dollars subsidizing it.

No license for YOU!

Right!

Just making sure you're not "stopping" at pot, though.......

Meth, heroin.... good-to-go, right? If [bleep] gonna get legalized, let's get it done!

George
As of right now, for this year alone...

Federal money spent in The War on Drugs - $9,783,951,963

State/Local money spent in The War on Drugs - $16,676,178,688

Total money spent in The War on Drugs - $26,460,130,650

All drug arrests - 1,080,119

Cannabis arrests - 557,341

Imprisoned - 7,023

Is *this* a worthwhile expenditure...?
Some people realize it is preposterous to 'blame the gun' for the actions of the user, but ironically, will be quick to 'blame the weed' for the actions of the user.
How about legalizing gambling? That was a ingenuous idea the gooberman came up with, like poor people needed another "out" to get rid of what little cash they had.
Scratch off tickets are like crack around here, and their legal.
I've kept in touch with couple guys from my old neighborhood that I went to school with 1st-12th grades. Both were very bright guys and were active in many things in school. I watched them both go from I'm guessing weekend pot smokers to daily smokers in a years time. Both managed to finish HS but neither had enough motivation to get and keep a decent job.
One of them is still there and has spent his adult life drawing welfare checks and having kids he has no intention of ever paying or and the other guy moved about 90 miles to another town and was doing the same thing until he went to prison for his 8th or 9th burglary conviction.

Weed is a great motivator

I haven't smoked in over 18 years but I completely agree. You can be a drunk or you can be a pot head. You can also be a social drinker or a social smoker. It all depends on your personal decisions. We don't need government trying to legislate ethics.It just won't work.

If we really wanted to cure society problems we would start with the break down of the family. The war on drugs is just an attempt to treat the symptoms,not an effective cure.

Why doesn't this surprise me...
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I've kept in touch with couple guys from my old neighborhood that I went to school with 1st-12th grades. Both were very bright guys and were active in many things in school. I watched them both go from I'm guessing weekend pot smokers to daily smokers in a years time. Both managed to finish HS but neither had enough motivation to get and keep a decent job.
One of them is still there and has spent his adult life drawing welfare checks and having kids he has no intention of ever paying or and the other guy moved about 90 miles to another town and was doing the same thing until he went to prison for his 8th or 9th burglary conviction.

Weed is a great motivator

So is alcohol.The question is do you have personal responsibility to have one drink in the evening, or do you drink all day every day? You could have easily substituted drinking into your scenario.Why not outlaw alcohol? It has destroyed many more people than pot has. Making pot illegal works no better than making alcohol illegal. Alcohol is simply more sociably acceptable because more people have personal experience with it.
Originally Posted by antlers

Imprisoned - 7,023

Compared to this, yes.
Code
Social Security	$929,444,000,000
Medicare (Net)	$595,317,000,000
Medicaid	$577,171,700,000
Vendor Payments (Welfare)	$577,171,700,000
Other Welfare	$480,221,500,000
Total	$3,159,325,900,000

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year_spending_2016USbn_17bc6n_2030#usgs302
Originally Posted by BarryC

Imprisoned - 7,023

Compared to this, yes.
Code
Total	$3,159,325,900,000

Did making marijuana illegal stop people from smoking it?
Yes. Not all, but certainly some.
Yes. Not all, but certainly some.

Then why not make alcohol illegal too?
Being a loser has very little to do with the method of intoxication.
Originally Posted by joken2
Curious if anyone personally knows or knows of someone who was legally allowed to use marijuana for medical reasons, but their health condition improved enough that they no longer truly needed it, voluntarily quit completely and surrendered their permit or whatever is required that allows them to legally purchase, possess, ingest?

Yeah.

My ex has Multiple Sclerosis, and is in Assisted Living. We were able to keep her at home for about 10 years longer than we could have/needed to, in part because she was using marijuana daily for muscle spasm/pain control. She no longer uses it, I'm told. (She and I are no longer in close comms.)

This was illegal use, btw. A friend of a friend would make pot butter and then bake cookies for her. She ate 3-4 cookies a day. And they were STRONG. I ate about 1/4 of one once and I had both eyes in one socket for about 6 hours and I ate the entire kitchen.

She no longer uses it, but she uses a lot more Rx pain meds now. Soooo... which is better for her, pot or opiates? I can't say for sure, but I think she was more active when she used marijuana. But the MS has progressed, so who knows for sure.
I had both eyes in one socket for about 6 hours and I ate the entire kitchen.

grin grin grin

Yup, those munchies, in and of themselves constitute a serious impact to one's budget.

Oh,...the horror.

GTC
im all for legal weed, I don't personally partake, but my hope is, the folks thats a chronic alcoholics will just become pot heads, As an electrician, i can say, unequivocally that I would rather have a pot head with a screw driver in a hot piece of gear, than a drunk that has the shakes. Weed only hurts people, who are stupid (gonna find another way to hurt themselves) or by making it profitable as an illegal business.
Portugal 14 years after Decriminalizing
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Some people realize it is preposterous to 'blame the gun' for the actions of the user, but ironically, will be quick to 'blame the weed' for the actions of the user.

Yep. It's pretty simple, really. Alcohol users and their intoxicant of choice is OK...but marijuana users and their intoxicant of choice is not OK. Hypocritical to the Nth degree.
I actually support drug legalization - but only as long as evidence of drug dealing by the victim is an affirmative defense in cases of murder and assault. I.e., if you have proof that someone is a dealer and you kill them, you cannot be convicted of murder.

Yep. It's pretty simple, really. Alcohol users and their intoxicant of choice is OK...but marijuana users and their intoxicant of choice is not OK. Hypocritical to the Nth degree.

The exact percentage (proof) of alcohol in the various kinds of legal commercially brewed/distilled/fermented beverages is a knowable, consistent, and reliable figure. A person can know how much alcohol they are consuming which allows them the option to control the amount they ingest over a given period of time.

I don't know how factual it is but from what I've read, heard and been told by some users, the amount of intoxicant in marijuana can vary considerably, therefore no way to know before consuming how much could be too much.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

That's the exact same thought that went through my mind when I read that

The exact percentage (proof) of alcohol in the various kinds of legal commercially brewed/distilled/fermented beverages is a knowable, consistent, and reliable figure. A person can know how much alcohol they are consuming which allows them the option to control the amount they ingest over a given period of time.

I don't know how factual it is but from what I've read, heard and been told by some users, the amount of intoxicant in marijuana can vary considerably, therefore no way to know before consuming how much could be too much.

I don't know anyone who's died from smoking too much high end pot, lots of people die for drinking to much alcohol

So, getting intoxicated is OK, but 'only' as long as you know the exact percentage of the chemical intoxicant that you are ingesting...?
You smoke a joint, you are stoned. You drink one serving of alcohol and you are unaffected.
That's as far as I'm going in rehashing the subject for the Nth time.
Originally Posted by acooper1983

I don't know anyone who's died from smoking too much high end pot, lots of people die for drinking to much alcohol

"Marijuana-related deaths, suspensions & problems spike in Colorado – report

Published time: 22 Sep, 2015 04:11"

A new study of marijuana drug use in Colorado found increases in marijuana-related traffic deaths, hospital visits, school suspensions, lab explosions, and pet poisonings. The study was conducted by a federal government program.

The 166-page report released this month analyzed the effects of legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use in Colorado spanning the time period from 2006 to the present. Along with the state of Washington, Colorado is considered as something of laboratory in which the effects of legalizing marijuana use can be studied.

The study showed that the number of drivers testing positive for marijuana increased 100 percent from 2007 to 2012, with marijuana-related fatalities doubling from 37 to 78. Traffic fatalities total around 500 a year in the state.

One of the reports key findings was that the number of children aged zero to five exposed to marijuana increased 268 percent when comparing the period from 2006 to 2009 to the period from 2010 to 2013: triple the national average.

The report showed that more young people aged 12 to 17 were using marijuana as well. When asked during a national survey in 2012 whether they had used marijuana in the past month, 10.47 percent of Colorado’s youth said they had, which was 39 percent higher than the national average.

“I never dreamed in a million years that this would happen to my son,” Kendal, a parent who didn’t want to use his last name, told CBS, referring to a time when he came home to find his 13-year-old son unconscious from what he says was a marijuana overdose.

“He was gray. His heart wasn’t beating and he wasn’t breathing,” Kendal said.

Kendal used CPR to resuscitate him, and later talked to his son’s high school peer and supplier.

q

@Drudge_Report_ Well, shoot... where'd I put my "shocked" face?
— Weird Ralph (@weirdralph) September 21, 2015Q
Marijuana-related emergency room visits grew 57 percent in two years, from 8,198 in 2011 to 12,888 in 2013, the study found, with a 29 percent increase in emergency room visits for teens.

The report also found that drug-related suspensions and expulsions increased 32 percent between the 2008-2009 and 2012-2013 school years. The majority of expulsions were for marijuana violations.

From 2006 to 2008, there were 1,000 to 4,800 medical marijuana cardholders and no known dispensaries in Colorado. As of the end of 2012, there were 108,000 cardholders and 532 licensed dispensaries.

In November 2012, voters passed an amendment allowing anyone over the age of 21 to use marijuana recreationally.
Other findings included data showing that seizures of Colorado pot being shipped out of state soared in 2014. Pot seizures increased 397 percent between 2008 and 2013. The average number of pounds seized increased 35.5 percent from 2005 to 2008 when compared to the time period from 2009 to 2013. US Mail parcels were intercepted being shipped to 33 states, representing an increase of 1,280 percent.

Increased distribution of and access to marijuana has also led to increases in crime, lab explosions, and poisonings, according to the study. The number of pets poisoned from ingesting marijuana increased fourfold in six years, with a total of 153 cases reported from 2006 -2012.

The report also found that the estimated annual revenue from the sale of recreational marijuana varies from $65 million to $118 million. Interestingly, the majority of counties and cities in Colorado have banned recreational marijuana businesses despite the drug being legal.

The report was carried out by the federal government’s Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, a program that assists federal, state and local and tribal law enforcement in critical drug-trafficking regions.

https://www.rt.com/usa/316148-marijuana-related-deaths-injuries-study/

So, getting intoxicated is OK, but 'only' as long as you know the exact percentage of the chemical intoxicant that you are ingesting...?

You smoke a joint, you are stoned. You drink one serving of alcohol and you are unaffected.

Baloney! If you have one serving of alcohol you want another serving. Alcohol is VERY addictive just like nicotine (pot is not). Pot might be considered a gateway drug but only because you have to get it from a drug dealer who has other drugs to offer. If a person smokes a pack of cigarettes a day that works out to about one every 45 minutes while they're awake. My Mother used to smoke around the clock and died at an early age from throat cancer. I used to work with a bunch of smokers and everything came to halt about every 30 minutes while they got their nicotine fix. The alcoholics among them were worthless most of the morning until they recovered from their hangovers. All that said you should be able to use ANY drugs while at work or driving.
From the article...

"The study was conducted by a *federal government* program."

lol

Do you wanna compare marijuana-related traffic deaths to alcohol-related traffic deaths...?

Do you wanna compare marijuana-related hospital visits to alcohol-related hospital visits...?
Here, THC content is measured and labeled. You know exactly what you are getting. How you ingest it is a big variable.

Like alcohol, weed will affect folk differently. Some people do very well, others turn into a puddle.

While alcohol is far, FAR, more toxic than weed, weed is a more psycho active substance.

Drink a beer, smoke a J, whatever. Just be responsible. How is that so fuggin' hard? If you need either to get through life, you're doing it wrong.

If you feel the need to tell people what they can and can not ingest, you're a fugg 'tard.

I saw it the first time. That's why I asked the question of you, "So, getting intoxicated is OK, but 'only' as long as you know the exact percentage of the chemical intoxicant that you are ingesting...?"
Originally Posted by jorgeI

That's the exact same thought that went through my mind when I read that

Yup!
In theory if someone smokes weed no one is hurt, unless that someone is a parent. When you read a child protective services report about a child in kindergarten that shows up to class unable to speak and in urine soaked pajamas and find out mom is a pot head you have a different perspective on weed being victim less.

Making it easier for losers to mess up their lives isn't the solution.
Weed didn't piss the kids pants. Weed didn't let the kid sit in it.

Take away the weed, and the mom will still be a worthless POS. Guaranteed.

Some people take their first drink and it sends them down a road from which they never recover.

Some begin to gamble and in some cases - same outcome.

You want to use my quote then let's use it.
It's impossible to know the exact number of bullets that an irresponsible user can fire into himself or his victim and know the exact outcome.

You are either going to have a society of personal responsibility or not.
The gun is not to blame, the weed is not to blame, neither are the deck of cards, or dice, or alcoholic drink, number of blows to the head, meth, oxy, etc.

You can't cherry pick which ones are the user's responsibility and in other cases blame the item or substance itself.
This thread is proof positive that propaganda works on the masses.

Vilify something enough, and the masses buy whatever is being said, true or not.
Originally Posted by 700LH

Vilify something enough, and the masses buy whatever is being said, true or not.

Now you know why I have a memory of an elephant and many do not.
Here, THC content is measured and labeled. You know exactly what you are getting. How you ingest it is a big variable.

Like alcohol, weed will affect folk differently. Some people do very well, others turn into a puddle.

While alcohol is far, FAR, more toxic than weed, weed is a more psycho active substance.

Drink a beer, smoke a J, whatever. Just be responsible. How is that so fuggin' hard? If you need either to get through life, you're doing it wrong.

If you feel the need to tell people what they can and can not ingest, you're a fugg 'tard.

Yeah, well said.

Oregon's recreational industry launches for real here in the next couple months. We've been in a transitional period where what were previously medical dispensaries could sell a limited amount to non-medical-cardholders... 1/4 oz I believe. Anyway, yes, the stuff is lab tested to establish potency as well as the ratios of the various cannaboids. Turns out, THC is only one of them. Some folks are very actively trying not to get high-THC pot and are after the CBD's.

I rode with an engineer friend the other day and he told me some interesting stuff. He's had a medical grow license for years. He's a sharp guy and very curious. He'd been experimenting with making tinctures, using various methods, then getting them lab tested. Of interest to me was that he'd had basic butter tested. I make butter then make caramels with that- more below. What was interesting was that the THC doesn't carbolyze efficiently from its acid (non-pschoactive) form. Chemistry majors, I apologize, but I'm gonna call that THC(a).

So, THC(a) is not psychoactive. This is why it is traditionally smoked: that carbolyzes it into THC, and you catch a buzz. However some of the doctors on the cutting edge believe that THC(a) has enormous health benefits, in really sick folks, to the point that they are having patients actually juice what would otherwise be huge quantities of leaf and flower, and drink it, to get all that THC(a) without getting high.

What's interesting to me about it is that that his butter, made the the way I make it, had only carbolyzed about 20% of the THC(a) into THC. This has been intriguing to me for the last year, because I've been making the butter with what appear to be LARGE quantities of chopped up flowers (buds) and have been a little surprised that it hasn't been more potent. It doesn't matter, mind you, because since the stuff is damn near free if you grow it yourself, who cares... but I was mildly interested.

Concurrent with starting to make and ingest these caramels in the evening, ive seen a fairly remarkable change in my "drug life": I virtually never take ibuprofen anymore. I'm a big guy and have a physical lifestyle and ibuprofen has been my friend for a long time, both for the pain relief and the anti-inflammatory properties.

So bringing this full circle, come to find out that I've actually, most likely, been getting a pretty damn large dose of THC(a) in these caramels in order to get the psychoactive effect I like- which when eaten this way is very similar to alcohol- a relaxing body buzz with mild euphoria and general good feelings. So whether it's all that THC (a), or the THC, or some other cannaboids I don't know, but the effect on my body in general has been fairly profound: much less pain, inflammation, etc to the point that I NEVER take ibuprofen anymore.

I find that quite interesting.

As a huge side benefit, the caramels have greatly decreased my desire to drink. I still have a couple beers but I haven't had more than (3) 12-oz beers in almost a year. THAT is huge. Alcohol, which is the drug of choice for many here and everywhere else, is very toxic and unhealthy. So I'll count that as a credit in this equation as well.

I'm taking the time (and absorbing the negative comments) to type all this for one reason only. This is a place that could use some education on this stuff; many of you are exactly the people who need to come around on this issue if we are ever, as a society, going to get past the "Reefer Madness" hysteria.

And by the way, nobody "smokes a joint" of this modern, very potent weed. You control dosage by smoking a tiny little piece to avoid becoming what I'd call "over stoned" which is not pleasant. This is "taking psychoactive substances 101": start small. You can always do a little more.
Sad story for all involved:

Indiana woman positive for THC sentenced in deadly crash

...On Wednesday, Shrock was sentenced to six years. However, due to her plea agreement, she will be on supervised probation for five years and 340 days and three of those years will be on house arrest. The judge also suspended her driving privileges for two years.

A psychologist testified that Shrock suffered from severe survivor’s guilt, depression and anxiety following the crash. The psychologist said she was very upset by what the family thought upon hearing that the driver was “intoxicated,” though Shrock said she felt no affects of drug use the morning of the crash.

In the courtroom Wednesday morning, Shrock tearfully recalls the events of Aug. 18.

“...I didn’t feel fuzzy, I didn’t feel clouded,” Shrock said. “I did not at all feel impaired.”

Shrock said her use of marijuana was infrequent and she didn’t feel affects of the drug at all that day. Shrock told the court Wednesday the last time she used marijuana was two days before the crash.

“It wasn’t a frequent thing,” she said...

http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/11/indiana-woman-positive-for-thc-sentenced-in-deadly-crash/
Originally Posted by 700LH

Truer words were never spoken

...On Wednesday, Shrock was sentenced to six years. However, due to her plea agreement, she will be on supervised probation for five years and 340 days and three of those years will be on house arrest. The judge also suspended her driving privileges for two years.

A psychologist testified that Shrock suffered from severe survivor’s guilt, depression and anxiety following the crash. The psychologist said she was very upset by what the family thought upon hearing that the driver was “intoxicated,” though Shrock said she felt no affects of drug use the morning of the crash.

In the courtroom Wednesday morning, Shrock tearfully recalls the events of Aug. 18.

“...I didn’t feel fuzzy, I didn’t feel clouded,” Shrock said. “I did not at all feel impaired.”

Shrock said her use of marijuana was infrequent and she didn’t feel affects of the drug at all that day. Shrock told the court Wednesday the last time she used marijuana was two days before the crash.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/11/indiana-woman-positive-for-thc-sentenced-in-deadly-crash/

Got off pretty light for killing someone.

"Investigators said Shrock was reaching for a cup of coffee when she drove off the roadway, overcorrected, crossed the median and struck Harp’s vehicle head-on."

Sounds like coffee was the culprit....

Yeah, well said.

Oregon's recreational industry launches for real here in the next couple months. We've been in a transitional period where what were previously medical dispensaries could sell a limited amount to non-medical-cardholders... 1/4 oz I believe. Anyway, yes, the stuff is lab tested to establish potency as well as the ratios of the various cannaboids. Turns out, THC is only one of them. Some folks are very actively trying not to get high-THC pot and are after the CBD's.

I rode with an engineer friend the other day and he told me some interesting stuff. He's had a medical grow license for years. He's a sharp guy and very curious. He'd been experimenting with making tinctures, using various methods, then getting them lab tested. Of interest to me was that he'd had basic butter tested. I make butter then make caramels with that- more below. What was interesting was that the THC doesn't carbolyze efficiently from its acid (non-pschoactive) form. Chemistry majors, I apologize, but I'm gonna call that THC(a).

So, THC(a) is not psychoactive. This is why it is traditionally smoked: that carbolyzes it into THC, and you catch a buzz. However some of the doctors on the cutting edge believe that THC(a) has enormous health benefits, in really sick folks, to the point that they are having patients actually juice what would otherwise be huge quantities of leaf and flower, and drink it, to get all that THC(a) without getting high.

What's interesting to me about it is that that his butter, made the the way I make it, had only carbolyzed about 20% of the THC(a) into THC. This has been intriguing to me for the last year, because I've been making the butter with what appear to be LARGE quantities of chopped up flowers (buds) and have been a little surprised that it hasn't been more potent. It doesn't matter, mind you, because since the stuff is damn near free if you grow it yourself, who cares... but I was mildly interested.

Concurrent with starting to make and ingest these caramels in the evening, ive seen a fairly remarkable change in my "drug life": I virtually never take ibuprofen anymore. I'm a big guy and have a physical lifestyle and ibuprofen has been my friend for a long time, both for the pain relief and the anti-inflammatory properties.

So bringing this full circle, come to find out that I've actually, most likely, been getting a pretty damn large dose of THC(a) in these caramels in order to get the psychoactive effect I like- which when eaten this way is very similar to alcohol- a relaxing body buzz with mild euphoria and general good feelings. So whether it's all that THC (a), or the THC, or some other cannaboids I don't know, but the effect on my body in general has been fairly profound: much less pain, inflammation, etc to the point that I NEVER take ibuprofen anymore.

As a huge side benefit, the caramels have greatly decreased my desire to drink. I still have a couple beers but I haven't had more than (3) 12-oz beers in almost a year. THAT is huge. Alcohol, which is the drug of choice for many here and everywhere else, is very toxic and unhealthy. So I'll count that as a credit in this equation as well.

I'm taking the time (and absorbing the negative comments) to type all this for one reason only. This is a place that could use some education on this stuff; many of you are exactly the people who need to come around on this issue if we are ever, as a society, going to get past the "Reefer Madness" hysteria.

And by the way, nobody "smokes a joint" of this modern, very potent weed. You control dosage by smoking a tiny little piece to avoid becoming what I'd call "over stoned" which is not pleasant. This is "taking psychoactive substances 101": start small. You can always do a little more.

Many people have a very romantic notion of weed. Others think it's devils lettuce.

Both are a bit silly IMO.
If the dry villages north of the Arctic circle had no alcohol and instead had weed there would be a precipitous decline in physical abuse, sexual abuse and Iditarod racer abuse. Guarndamnteed.

"Investigators said Shrock was reaching for a cup of coffee when she drove off the roadway, overcorrected, crossed the median and struck Harp’s vehicle head-on."

http://www.today.com/health/driving...ana-causing-spike-fatal-accidents-t91746

"Driving while high on marijuana causing spike in fatal accidents"

Any time Mary Gaston drives by the intersection where a driver high on marijuana plowed into her son’s motorcycle two and a half years ago, the loud bang of the impact replays in her head.

Blake had hugged her before he left the suburban Seattle restaurant’s parking lot — it was the last time she would ever feel his embrace.

“I heard it and I knew instantly,” Gaston remembers. “I said ‘that’s Blake’ and I just ran. It was not even 50 feet away. And he was lying in the intersection bleeding out.”

Though doctors tried to save his life, 23-year-old Blake Gaston didn’t make it.

His story is becoming frighteningly more common. A new report by the American Auto Association (AAA) has found that the percentage of drivers who are high on pot during fatal accidents in Washington State more than doubled between 2013 and 2014.
In Washington, only looking at crashes in which at least one driver tested positive for active THC, there were 40 fatalities in 2010, compared to 85 in 2014, according to AAA estimates. However, a large number of drivers were not tested for THC or did not have available blood test results, so THC-related fatalities could be much higher, the report notes.

The AAA report focused only on Washington state, while legalized the sale and possession of marijuana in 2012. It did not track driving while high fatality trends in Colorado, which also legalized pot that in 2012.

But with marijuana on the ballot to become legal in more states, AAA researchers fear that the numbers will rise more sharply.
Originally Posted by acooper1983

"Marijuana-related deaths, suspensions & problems spike in Colorado – report

Published time: 22 Sep, 2015 04:11"

A new study of marijuana drug use in Colorado found increases in marijuana-related traffic deaths, hospital visits, school suspensions, lab explosions, and pet poisonings. The study was conducted by a federal government program.

The 166-page report released this month analyzed the effects of legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use in Colorado spanning the time period from 2006 to the present. Along with the state of Washington, Colorado is considered as something of laboratory in which the effects of legalizing marijuana use can be studied.

The study showed that the number of drivers testing positive for marijuana increased 100 percent from 2007 to 2012, with marijuana-related fatalities doubling from 37 to 78. Traffic fatalities total around 500 a year in the state.

One of the reports key findings was that the number of children aged zero to five exposed to marijuana increased 268 percent when comparing the period from 2006 to 2009 to the period from 2010 to 2013: triple the national average.

The report showed that more young people aged 12 to 17 were using marijuana as well. When asked during a national survey in 2012 whether they had used marijuana in the past month, 10.47 percent of Colorado’s youth said they had, which was 39 percent higher than the national average.

“I never dreamed in a million years that this would happen to my son,” Kendal, a parent who didn’t want to use his last name, told CBS, referring to a time when he came home to find his 13-year-old son unconscious from what he says was a marijuana overdose.

“He was gray. His heart wasn’t beating and he wasn’t breathing,” Kendal said.

Kendal used CPR to resuscitate him, and later talked to his son’s high school peer and supplier.

q

@Drudge_Report_ Well, shoot... where'd I put my "shocked" face?
— Weird Ralph (@weirdralph) September 21, 2015Q
Marijuana-related emergency room visits grew 57 percent in two years, from 8,198 in 2011 to 12,888 in 2013, the study found, with a 29 percent increase in emergency room visits for teens.

The report also found that drug-related suspensions and expulsions increased 32 percent between the 2008-2009 and 2012-2013 school years. The majority of expulsions were for marijuana violations.

From 2006 to 2008, there were 1,000 to 4,800 medical marijuana cardholders and no known dispensaries in Colorado. As of the end of 2012, there were 108,000 cardholders and 532 licensed dispensaries.

In November 2012, voters passed an amendment allowing anyone over the age of 21 to use marijuana recreationally.
Other findings included data showing that seizures of Colorado pot being shipped out of state soared in 2014. Pot seizures increased 397 percent between 2008 and 2013. The average number of pounds seized increased 35.5 percent from 2005 to 2008 when compared to the time period from 2009 to 2013. US Mail parcels were intercepted being shipped to 33 states, representing an increase of 1,280 percent.

Increased distribution of and access to marijuana has also led to increases in crime, lab explosions, and poisonings, according to the study. The number of pets poisoned from ingesting marijuana increased fourfold in six years, with a total of 153 cases reported from 2006 -2012.

The report also found that the estimated annual revenue from the sale of recreational marijuana varies from $65 million to $118 million. Interestingly, the majority of counties and cities in Colorado have banned recreational marijuana businesses despite the drug being legal.

The report was carried out by the federal government’s Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, a program that assists federal, state and local and tribal law enforcement in critical drug-trafficking regions.

https://www.rt.com/usa/316148-marijuana-related-deaths-injuries-study/

OD'd on weed? come the [bleep] on. what a bunch of biased bullshit.

http://www.today.com/health/driving...ana-causing-spike-fatal-accidents-t91746

"Driving while high on marijuana causing spike in fatal accidents"

Any time Mary Gaston drives by the intersection where a driver high on marijuana plowed into her son’s motorcycle two and a half years ago, the loud bang of the impact replays in her head.

Blake had hugged her before he left the suburban Seattle restaurant’s parking lot — it was the last time she would ever feel his embrace.

“I heard it and I knew instantly,” Gaston remembers. “I said ‘that’s Blake’ and I just ran. It was not even 50 feet away. And he was lying in the intersection bleeding out.”

Though doctors tried to save his life, 23-year-old Blake Gaston didn’t make it.

His story is becoming frighteningly more common. A new report by the American Auto Association (AAA) has found that the percentage of drivers who are high on pot during fatal accidents in Washington State more than doubled between 2013 and 2014.
In Washington, only looking at crashes in which at least one driver tested positive for active THC, there were 40 fatalities in 2010, compared to 85 in 2014, according to AAA estimates. However, a large number of drivers were not tested for THC or did not have available blood test results, so THC-related fatalities could be much higher, the report notes.

The AAA report focused only on Washington state, while legalized the sale and possession of marijuana in 2012. It did not track driving while high fatality trends in Colorado, which also legalized pot that in 2012.

But with marijuana on the ballot to become legal in more states, AAA researchers fear that the numbers will rise more sharply.

What are they saying? You shouldn't get stoned and drive? Earth shattering!

People behaving recklessly and irresponsibly is nothing new. Tracking folks involved in accidents in relation to THC in their system is.

Not at all. It all depends on the tolerance of the individual (how long and often they drink or smoke).
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Not at all. It all depends on the tolerance of the individual (how long and often they drink or smoke).

There is a difference between being "high" and being "stoned", just like there is a difference between being "mildly buzzed" and "totally chit faced" when drinking.

The guy who crossed the centerline and hit me 5 years ago supposedly (he died, so...) was reaching for his coffee, or spilled it, or something.

BAN COFFEE WHILE DRIVING!! grin
The rotten-a$$ government has no business telling adults what substances they can or can't ingest. *Only* when harm to another person is the direct result of that ingestion should the government step in and have a say-so.
The rotten-a$$ government has no business telling adults what substances they can or can't ingest. *Only* when harm to another person is the direct result of that ingestion should the government step in and have a say-so.

You mean like, personal responsibility, individual freedom of choice, and so on?

That's liberal bullshit that does NOT belong on this forum, Mister!
Many millions of people have an alcoholic drink or smoke a joint every day and don't hurt anybody. They go to work, they raise families, and are productive members of society. Why should those people pay a penalty due to those who can't handle their intoxicant of choice...?
What are they saying? You shouldn't get stoned and drive? Earth shattering!

People behaving recklessly and irresponsibly is nothing new. Tracking folks involved in accidents in relation to THC in their system is.

Dood, it was totally the weed's fault. That NEVER happens with Oxy, Morphine, Heroin, XTC, Alcohol, etc.

Just this morning I did an OxyHeroinXTC shooter in alcohol, walked out to my car, and as I reached for my keys, I remembered there was no THC in my morning shooter, so I went back inside.
What's Trump's position on the stuff?
That's not a very good comparison. Alcohol is much better.

But if your guns cause a change in your cognitive abilities, balance, and reaction time, you'd better sell them.
Interesting that in the Shrock case I quoted and linked above, two days after last smoking marijuana, the measurable residual intoxicants per her blood test results, was enough to influence her sentencing, apparently.

Pot heads dont seem to accomplish too much. Anytime I'm stoned I just want to find something to eat.

This.

There's too much of "My drug of choice is OK--you'rs is not."

Yeah, well said.

So what your saying is instead of making a butter you should be making a roux? I think you better get off your ass and get some brass for the latest rifle before indulging.
Is a roux cooked at a higher temp?

Actually, if what I want is to carbolyze it more fully, that's easy. An hour in the oven at, I think, 240 degrees prior to making butter from it. I'm not sure I do want that though. The way they are now is working pretty well, and the point isn't to get blotto, anyway. But I'm using 2 ounces of chopped flower to make a pound of butter... think on that a minute... it should be POTENT.

(Side note to those who care: chopping up 2 oz of Oregon's finest is an incredibly fragrant experience! Considering that on the old black market, that'd be $400 worth, you can see why this wasn't really a "thing" prior to legalization, at least it sure wasn't for me. Highly inefficient. )

I'm poised and ready to buy brass as soon as they have the next batch available, trust me. smile
Is a roux cooked at a higher temp?

Actually, if what I want is to carbolyze it more fully, that's easy. An hour in the oven at, I think, 240 degrees prior to making butter from it. I'm not sure I do want that though. The way they are now is working pretty well, and the point isn't to get blotto, anyway. But I'm using 2 ounces of chopped flower to make a pound of butter... think on that a minute... it should be POTENT.

(Side note to those who care: chopping up 2 oz of Oregon's finest is an incredibly fragrant experience! Considering that on the old black market, that'd be $400 worth, you can see why this wasn't really a "thing" prior to legalization, at least it sure wasn't for me. Highly inefficient. )

I'm poised and ready to buy brass as soon as they have the next batch available, trust me. smile

I wasn't intending to have a serious discourse on pot brownies..but being a tolerant man I am willing to share cooking techniques (in general). I don't know if a roux is going to get hotter than a caramel, just that you don't want to burn it.
I need a hit if that blunt!
It's always funny...and more than a little bit hypocritical...to see those who post and profess to being 'conservatives' and 'Republicans' giving lip service to 'freedom' and 'less government control' over their lives...but yet at the same time they are threatened by, or simply don't like, extending that same freedom to others. And they 'want' the government to exert control over those other people's lives who choose an intoxicant that's different than the one that 'they' choose to use.

lol
Antlers, it's one of the internal contradictions, or fault lines, in the American Conservative movement. Libertarian-right vs. nanny state right.

The left has plenty of its own inconsistencies.

That's why it's best to be somewhere in the middle! grin

Things are changing fast on the marijuana front and I think those who have knowledge or experience with it need to be polite advocates out there, and help folks understand it in a less biased, more rational fashion, which is all I'm trying to do here. I doubt any psychoactive substance can be said to be 100% "good" but this one comes close. Non-toxic, cheap as long as it's legalized properly (as in, NOT how Washington did it!), and with many beneficial properties.

That's in addition to just being a damn fine buzz. We are adults here. Ain't nothing wrong with a man catching a buzz on his own time, either, if you want to just reduce it to THAT.
I've been around the stuff enough to have a damn good opinion of it, and I've also been around enough people who were high,

Few things can make a person so stupid, in under 15 minutes, than a Joint,

thats the big difference between alcohol and pot.

For the record, I'm against legalized pot, This in time will become known as a mistake, Bank on it.

and yes, I'd like my Governments help to help prevent some stoner from driving into me.

Once again, I've been around too much of it, Seen what it does to people, so don't try and tell me any different.

Originally Posted by Kenneth
...I'd like my Governments help to help prevent some stoner from driving into me...

Then you are part of the problem. Because, for one thing, the government cannot help you.
Originally Posted by pal
...I'd like my Governments help to help prevent some stoner from driving into me...

Then you are part of the problem. Because, for one thing, the government cannot help you.

Right on brother, lets do away with speed limits too, they don't help either huh?

I suppose drunk driving laws don't help either huh?

yeah, I'm part of the problem, 500 million people in North America and there's no need for some form of Structure.

Right on.
The government attempting to legislate morality has been a dismal failure in EVERY instance, and there is more than ample proof of that.
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

There is a difference between being "high" and being "stoned", just like there is a difference between being "mildly buzzed" and "totally chit faced" when drinking.

Really? Would let someone "high" or "mildly buzzed" drive your kids around town for awhile? LEO's in Oregon and Colorado are witnessing the carnage of being minimally affected.
It's always funny...and more than a little bit hypocritical...to see those who post and profess to being 'conservatives' and 'Republicans' giving lip service to 'freedom' and 'less government control' over their lives...but yet at the same time they are threatened by, or simply don't like, extending that same freedom to others. And they 'want' the government to exert control over those other people's lives who choose an intoxicant that's different than the one that 'they' choose to use.

lol

This.
I know, let's make pot illegal. Then no one will use it. Or drive under the influence from it.

While we're at it fixing this country's problems, let's make murder illegal as well. And legally prevent felons from owning guns.

Laws work damnit!!
I mean, jesus, making driving with a BAC higher than .08 illegal has completely stopped drunk driving. Tell me more how bigger .gov telling people how to behave works so well!!

I know everyone drives the speed limit since it was brought up. So why do so many people get speeding tickets? I'm confused (don't worry, that's my normal state).
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
...why do so many people get speeding tickets?...

That's how they build bigger .gov.

lol

This.

Its interesingt to see the straw man argument employed over this. If less government is your goal, then throw out the federal statutes for Sch. I,II and III drugs. Let the "free man" get intoxicated in matter way they choose. Coke, meth, crack, "shrooms, bath salts, spray cans, gasoline, etc..
Why is my liquor any less virtuous than your bong? Hell, let it all ripe - no rules.
Then after society grows tired of the carnage, slowly put the genie back into the bottle.
Well said Bigwhoop, there needs to be a minimum bit of guidance from the collective ( Govt ) otherwise the mayhem may infringe a little on our Safety.
Bullchit! Having the government involved in your body is a stupid idea. Coddling the weak doesn't help. Legalize everything and eventually there'll be an equilibrium reached as well as lowering this country's population.
I mean, jesus, making driving with a BAC higher than .08 illegal has completely stopped drunk driving. Tell me more how bigger .gov telling people how to behave works so well!!

I know everyone drives the speed limit since it was brought up. So why do so many people get speeding tickets? I'm confused (don't worry, that's my normal state).

Think maybe you're being just a little melodramatic?

Laws have never eliminated anything completely, but they positively have deterred the majority from doing stupid or harmful things.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Bullchit! Having the government involved in your body is a stupid idea. Coddling the weak doesn't help. Legalize everything and eventually there'll be an equilibrium reached as well as lowering this country's population.

You need to read Federalist Paper #51 and re-think your statement.
Laws have never eliminated anything completely, but they positively have deterred the majority from doing stupid or harmful things.

lol

More than likely it's because the majority of the people *choose* not to do stupid or harmful things, and it doesn't have Jack $ch!t to do with the rotten-a$$ government's laws...!
Keeping stupid people alive and allowing them the ability to pass down shltty genes is breeding an FDA approved human.
Keeping stupid people alive and allowing them the ability to pass down shltty genes is breeding an FDA approved human.

If you are truly serious, you have an interesting view of civilization. I recall this theory was attempted in the 30's and 40's in Europe.
...Laws have never eliminated anything completely, but they positively have deterred the majority from doing stupid or harmful things.

What else have you got? smile

I don't care for potheads but I care even less for those who try to tell other people how to live their lives.

This country was built on individual autonomy and personal responsibility but we've seen those traits gradually chipped away as the do-gooderism crowd does their best to "help" people. This is a major problem with liberalism but conservatives give them a run for their money.

Everyone trying to control other people's lives instead of keeping their nose in their own damn business and worrying about themselves and their family.
It's unreal that there are guys here...other than liberals...who think that more laws and bigger government are the answers to any damn thing...!
Anti drug hysteria bullshit.
Rich people, poor people, everybody has been able to get all the marijuana they want in all 50 states for the past 40 years.

Legalizing pot has nothing to do with a bad effect on the poorer classes. Bullshit!

A lot more people would drive drunk if it was legal.

Don't be a dumbass.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Its interesingt to see the straw man argument employed over this. If less government is your goal, then throw out the federal statutes for Sch. I,II and III drugs. Let the "free man" get intoxicated in matter way they choose. Coke, meth, crack, "shrooms, bath salts, spray cans, gasoline, etc..
Why is my liquor any less virtuous than your bong? Hell, let it all ripe - no rules.
Then after society grows tired of the carnage, slowly put the genie back into the bottle.

I'm all for letting people ingest what they want, especially if they're making an informed decision. Or not.

Hey, maybe I shouldn't eat these magic mushrooms cause they're going to make me see stuff and maybe freak out. Or... Hey, I'm going to eat these magic mushrooms BECAUSE I want to see [bleep] and freak out.

For real real yo, I drink like a sailor when I want. But I don't get behind the wheel after three drinks (and I'll wait an hour after the last one to drive). Why? Cause I don't want some other dumb sumbitch to t-bone me when I'm over a .08 - NOT because I am afraid of getting pulled over for swerving down the road at 20 over the limit and having my life ruined. BUT because I am afraid of someone else causing me to interact with police like if someone t-boned me and an officer smelled alcohol yet the accident was no fault of my own. Then the .gov would ruin my life because of someone else's mistake.

One thing I am sure of: I can handle my drugs, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco and whatever else I decide to ingest. I don't need the government's permission to get [bleep] up on whatever substance I want.

I know, let's schedule firearms. They're now schedule I and you can't have more than three rounds loaded at a time. Because you MIGHT hurt someone else.

Freedom it a lot for some people to handle. Definitely too many here are begging for the government to hold their hands while they clutch their pearls because someone chose a joint over a fifth.

You can't be for small government and want them to control everything you ingest. Otherwise tomorrow they might regulate sugar because it makes people fat. People need to be FREE to make their own decisions. Yes, FREEDOM comes with RESPONSIBILITY. With RESPONSIBILITY comes CONSEQUENCES FOR YOUR ACTIONS. But those CONSEQUENCES should not come from the government in almost every case (exceptions for things like murder).

Should the .gov make high fructose corn syrup illegal because it is making America fat? NO! Should heroin be illegal because it is addictive and can ruin your life? NO!

When I'm 75 I'm doing heroin. Might try some hallucinogens too. I've smoked pot. Shidt's great! I still had a roof over my head smoking pot. Heroin is so awesome people are like "Fugg it, I don't need a house!" And if I want to shoot up right now who gives a [bleep].

Continue the pearl clutching.
Official 24hr mantra on drugs

Guns: SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, EVEN IF INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE FROM GUN VIOLENCE
Drugs: WE NEED GOVERNMENT TO MAKE THEM ILLEGAL SO THEY DON'T HURT ANYONE
Oh my god my pearls!!!!
*clutches pearls and recoils from the thought of someone being intoxicated*

The hypocrisy here is laughable. If you want a bigger government, I hear Hillary is accepting votes in November. (Yeah, Trump may grow government too, but not as much as Hillary and that's the choice this time around)

Your willingness to make these statements really makes for interesting reading. Possibly you were born in the wrong century. Certainly you are a dangerous individual in this one!
Originally Posted by rrroae
I don't care for potheads but I care even less for those who try to tell other people how to live their lives.

This country was built on individual autonomy and personal responsibility but we've seen those traits gradually chipped away as the do-gooderism crowd does their best to "help" people. This is a major problem with liberalism but conservatives give them a run for their money.

Everyone trying to control other people's lives instead of keeping their nose in their own damn business and worrying about themselves and their family.

Well said.

I can't stand potheads, mostly because I've never met one that was worth a chit. That being said, the last thing I want is the government even more up in people's lives than they are now. As far as I'm concerned someone can smoke themselves into a fog morning, noon, and night so long as I don't have to pay for it.

The part that chaffs me is when the welfare state intermingles with the pot culture and we have multitudes of "disabled" people drawing government (my) money to sit around and get stoned. I send about 40% of my paycheck to the government, money that I get from working a job that requires me to work a 24/7 schedule all over the globe and is in the process undoubtedly shortening my lifespan. A job that requires me to randomly pee in a cup so the government can be sure I'm not smoking the same weed that my wages are being confiscated for to pay some loser to sit around and smoke.

All of these things are failures of the welfare state. I feel no different about this than unwed mothers spitting out babies they won't pay for. I don't care what you do or how you justify it, I'm just tired of paying for it.
Jesus' first miracle involved alcohol.

Your grapes were too ripe. I rip the bong. Put the bottle down you alkie. laugh

And yes, let it all rip until we're all ripe. Some of you should be smoking AT LEAST a joint a day to calm you down. Maybe a morning burn to calm your nerves, god forbid you encounter someone doing something you don't agree with.

Originally Posted by rrroae

Well said.

I can't stand potheads, mostly because I've never met one that was worth a chit. That being said, the last thing I want is the government even more up in people's lives than they are now. As far as I'm concerned someone can smoke themselves into a fog morning, noon, and night so long as I don't have to pay for it.

The part that chaffs me is when the welfare state intermingles with the pot culture and we have multitudes of "disabled" people drawing government (my) money to sit around and get stoned. I send about 40% of my paycheck to the government, money that I get from working a job that requires me to work a 24/7 schedule all over the globe and is in the process undoubtedly shortening my lifespan. A job that requires me to randomly pee in a cup so the government can be sure I'm not smoking the same weed that my wages are being confiscated for to pay some loser to sit around and smoke.

All of these things are failures of the welfare state. I feel no different about this than unwed mothers spitting out babies they won't pay for. I don't care what you do or how you justify it, I'm just tired of paying for it.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't give a tinker's damn if people want to do it, but the biggest pot heads I know of don't work and are collecting benefits for no good reason that I can figure, expect being lazy.

So long as there is a safety net provided by Uncle Sam for people's choices, Darwin can't work.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Jesus' first miracle involved alcohol.

The guy in the flowing robes at church always got mad when I drank all the sacramental blood...

I don't go to church anymore. But I need JESUS to keep me sober. Gotta run pearl clutchers (not you Steelie). There's a bottle of chilled vodka calling to calm down this belly full of steak. Then I'll relax with some MDMA later.
Legalize all the drugs and let people sort it out themselves. I am sick and tired of the government trying to legislate morality.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's it in a nutshell. I don't give a tinker's damn if people want to do it, but the biggest pot heads I know of don't work and are collecting benefits for no good reason that I can figure, expect being lazy.

So long as there is a safety net provided by Uncle Sam for people's choices, Darwin can't work.

And here we have the heart of the matter. The safety net provided by the government, interfering with Darwin's work.

You people who don't care what people do as long as you don't have to pay for it are living in a fantasy world. Whether you pay through taxes or not isn't the only way you can "pay" for it. There is no way to separate a "no rules" lifestyle and you attempting to insulate yourself from it.
The society and culture will drag everyone down to a less productive crime driven existence. Your children and grandchildren will be crushed in a cesspool of crime, poverty and despair.
Your world will become the present day Amsterdam.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Legalize all the drugs and let people sort it out themselves. I am sick and tired of the government trying to legislate morality.

Another one willing to subject his children and grandchildren to a crime ridden destitute existence.

And I don't care if people want to marry their sister, or have 12 wives either. Not my business, consenting adults and all.
Okay, time to lighten it up with some jokes.

What's the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver at a stop sign?

The drunk blows through it at 60 mph and t-bones a car, killing everyone in it. The stoner sits at the stop sign for 20 minutes waiting for it to turn green.

How many stoners does it take to change a light bulb? Doesn't matter, they forgot where they put the spare bulbs.

How many drunks does it take to change a light bulb? "What the f*ck you talking about my light bulb for, you f*cking ass-hole?! I'm gonna kick your f*ckin' ass!!!"

How do you know if there's a stoner in your house? The refrigerator is empty.

How do you know if there is a drunk in your house? The front end of his car sticking through your living room wall should give you a clue.

What's a stoner's favorite TV show? The test pattern. (older kids will remember this)

What's a drunk's favorite TV show? "You f*cking ass hole!! Change the f*cking channel, you f*cking worthless bitch or Ill kick your f*cking ass!!! How come you haven't brought me another beer yet, you f*cking stupid c*nt? You want me to smack you in the other eye? Huh? Do ya?! C'mon, give me one f*cking excuse to beat the sh*t out of you, you goddam worthless whore. Sh*t, I'm gonna kick your f*cking ass anyway just for turnin' on the TV while I'm trying to drink!"
Not "no rules" because there's always going to be rules in public, rightfully so. Just that the government has been the biggest benefactor from the failed war on drugs. In the confines of my house it's no ones god damn business what I do.
Must be a post-Cruz derangement syndrome going on here. Time to load up and get out there!

Again, that's how it SHOULD work out, but since the government is happy to help the usless, it don't.

The above argument is akin the wolf argument. You know, wolves eat deer, deer population declines, wolf population declines. Deer population now increases with wolf population decrease and the cycle goes on.

That was before MAN. Wolf eats deer, deer population declines, wolf eats sheep, cattle, fluffy and spot. All the time they continue to hammer the deer. Deer don't get a chance because there's enough other good sheit around for the wolf to eat.

So now, addicts (which is a disease, why, I have NO FRIGGING idea) can be coddled by the government. So there is no downside to being a useless human being.
Not "no rules" because there's always going to be rules in public, rightfully so. Just that the government has been the biggest benefactor from the failed war on drugs. In the confines of my house it's no ones god damn business what I do.

That's stretching it too.
Yep, keep government outta people's lives and keep my money outta their (and their kids) pockets while you're at it! Fuggn Oregon gives a discount on medical cards if you're disabled, get food stamps or other assistance, or are on obamacare, and medical card holders don't pay the 25% retail tax.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....64.mobile-gws-serp..0.3.315.wEGkQqK0e6Q
Must be a post-Cruz derangement syndrome going on here. Time to load up and get out there!

I'm fugcking loaded right now. I'm getting in my car and running down those pesky neighborhood kids.
And if anyone can't see the irony of Jeff_O being the marijuana poster child, well...
I'm fugcking loaded right now. I'm getting in my car and running down those pesky neighborhood kids.

Only cause they got better pot than the retail stores.
...I can't stand potheads...I've never met one that was worth a chit...

Sounds like your anger is misdirected. Hating on potheads to cover up your .gov denial.

This.^^^^^^^^
Yup. It's like Sgt. Stadenko told us in Sister Mary's class: " Only dopes use dope."
In keeping with the "confines of your own home" hand's off policy, most child abuse and neglect occur in the home. So dysfunctional parents and pedophiles get a pass I guess.
America's lower class are poor because they are either lazy or stupid. You might be able to fix lazy, but there is no cure of stupid.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Okay, time to lighten it up with some jokes.

What's the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver at a stop sign?

The drunk blows through it at 60 mph and t-bones a car, killing everyone in it. The stoner sits at the stop sign for 20 minutes waiting for it to turn green.

How many stoners does it take to change a light bulb? Doesn't matter, they forgot where they put the spare bulbs.

How many drunks does it take to change a light bulb? "What the f*ck you talking about my light bulb for, you f*cking ass-hole?! I'm gonna kick your f*ckin' ass!!!"

How do you know if there's a stoner in your house? The refrigerator is empty.

How do you know if there is a drunk in your house? The front end of his car sticking through your living room wall should give you a clue.

What's a stoner's favorite TV show? The test pattern. (older kids will remember this)

What's a drunk's favorite TV show? "You f*cking ass hole!! Change the f*cking channel, you f*cking worthless bitch or Ill kick your f*cking ass!!! How come you haven't brought me another beer yet, you f*cking stupid c*nt? You want me to smack you in the other eye? Huh? Do ya?! C'mon, give me one f*cking excuse to beat the sh*t out of you, you goddam worthless whore. Sh*t, I'm gonna kick your f*cking ass anyway just for turnin' on the TV while I'm trying to drink!"

Unfortunately, those jokes perpetuate false stereotypes.
In keeping with the "confines of your own home" hand's off policy, most child abuse and neglect occur in the home. So dysfunctional parents and pedophiles get a pass I guess.

You can't honestly be that stupid. You know what he meant by that statement, and it didn't include harming others. You want to smoke pot in your house, I don't think its anybodies business but yours. If you can't see a difference between smoking pot and diddling kids you got bigger problems to work on bud.
I've read a report stating medical pot sells at between 9-16 dollars per gram. That would be a lot of money to pay for high grade medical pot. I rather think the source is elsewhere.
Originally Posted by xxclaro

You can't honestly be that stupid. You know what he meant by that statement, and it didn't include harming others. You want to smoke pot in your house, I don't think its anybodies business but yours. If you can't see a difference between smoking pot and diddling kids you got bigger problems to work on bud.

Actually he is unfit for LE.

Agreed, but.........going along with what Scott points out:

The confines of the (won't use "your as I think it's inappropriate) home stop being so when Johnny Dopehead gets a hot load of heroin, etc. Now it's "our" (society's) problem. I'd wager less than 5% of the ODs I've seen have insurance. "They" have a fail-safe and know it.

For disclosure......yes, I understand that this discussion originated with pot and some of these issues don't apply to that particular drug.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9

Agreed, but.........going along with what Scott points out:

The confines of the (won't use "your as I think it's inappropriate) home stop being so when Johnny Dopehead gets a hot load of heroin, etc. Now it's "our" (society's) problem. I'd wager less than 5% of the ODs I've seen have insurance. "They" have a fail-safe and know it.

For disclosure......yes, I understand that this discussion originated with pot and some of these issues don't apply to that particular drug.

George

I'm assuming no one has a problem with 3 Muslims building a biological bomb in the confines of their own home, so long as the don't detonate it.
Grow your own, no taxes that way
I personally know of a retired O & G guy that reached senior manager status with a major that f ukked around with all sorts of pleasures whilst in high school and college. One of my college room mates, who was a major smoker, i.e. all day long, graduated top of class and owns a significant accounting firm in LA. So, yeah, results vary.

Dave

I agree with you dave
Don't confuse Heroin use with smoking weed. Too many in your age bracket self-medicate with the afternoon drink that becomes the evening bender and blends into the 9pm drunken rage.

Let's outlaw Royal Crown first
I don't believe I confused anything........why aren't you willing to go "all the way" if legalization is on the table?

What's my age bracket, BTW?
Old and cranky
Ps

We have legalized it here in Alaska and that's fine with me. I don't use the stuff but let's treat it just like Booz and tobacco, tax the crap out of it and move on
You, at least, remain consistently wrong.

Though I suppose I'm likely a lot older than the young men you prefer.
Wow!!! That was a Zinger!

DA!
Some of your running buds ?

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/high-school-coaches-killed-shooting-teen-dead-41508440

Or could be they're smart enough to not be driving a 1984 Buick with expired plates, no exhaust, cracked windshield, broken taillight, on a suspended DL, while lighting up doing 50 in a school zone.

Bro...

I was in a dark place. Why you gotta bring up old schit?

Dave

Is it April 1st already??? wink

Imprisoned - 7,023

Compared to this, yes.
Code
Total	$3,159,325,900,000

Yep. We need to get rid of all those on SS and everyone who has any disability.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America's lower class are poor because they are either lazy or stupid. You might be able to fix lazy, but there is no cure of stupid.

That would make a great sig line.
I just finished reading every word of this topic. I live and visit two states where it is now legal and I have not seen any adverse effects of legalizing pot. I know people who use it and people who do not. For me it is a lot like alcohol. Used in moderation it harms no one but the user. Abuse it and it is like any other kind of personal abuse.

I have no problem with legalization of pot, in fact because of the states have come control such as the testing of the product may well be a positive. All in all, it seems legalizing pot in OR and WA has not caused the end of the world as some thought it would.

I have been told using the tropicals could well help with my pain but I have never used pot nor do I intent to use it. I plan to buy more guns and I will not lyie on the federal form.

Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Ps

We have legalized it here in Alaska and that's fine with me. I don't use the stuff but let's treat it just like Booz and tobacco, tax the crap out of it and move on

And a significant portion of the people who helped to make it legal can't even acquire it legally where they live since airplane and ship transportation are federally regulated. laugh (The majority of the state is only commercially accessible by plane or ship.) But I'm sure the potheads in the larger places appreciate the needed support from the outlying areas.
© 24hourcampfire