Home
Posted By: gophergunner So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
It's starting to cool off a bit. My hunter's spirit is stirring once again. I grew up in Ohio, and squirrel season was the first thing to open up, usually around the second week of September. Squirrel hunting was a big deal down there. Mom and Dad expected me and my brother to put some meat on the table, especially in years when Dad's carpentry work was tight.

We saved squirrel tales and sold them to Mepps. A season's worth of squirrel tales bought all the .22 ammo I needed for the next season. I had started my hunting with a little Fox Model B 20 gauge, but found out it just couldn't consistently bring those bushytails down out of the tops of the huge beech trees on our family homestead. If you were standing in the bottom of one of the many ravines, and shooting into the top of the canopies, it might be 65 to 70 yards.

I haven't chased 'em in way too long. It's time to get back to basics. Who here hunts squirrels? I'm looking forward to doing it again this fall. The old Glenfield bolt guns sighted in and ready to go.
Sumbeaches will bug the [bleep] out of you when deer hunting. I've thought about squirrel hunting just to shut some up.
Posted By: RWE Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
My first hunts were stalking squirrel with my great Uncle Donald, and a dog named Kate.

I miss it.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Sumbeaches will bug the [bleep] out of you when deer hunting. I've thought about squirrel hunting just to shut some up.

I see more squirrels deer hunting than I ever do squirrel hunting. Somehow they know.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I see more squirrels deer hunting than I ever do squirrel hunting. Somehow they know.
Right as rain. They are smart little things, those tree rats.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photo for squirrel appreciation day! grin

I hunt them a few times a season, lotta fun.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I'd rather hunt squirrel than deer. The season is longer, the limits are generous, the ammo's cheaper, and they're far easier to pack out.

I live in SW Missouri, where the forests are mixed oak, walnut, and 50 other tree varieties, and squirrels are described by the conservation dept as "an underutilized resource". If I can get myself down to the woods, I hunt squirrels. In fact, since I had eye surgery last year, I'm even something of a threat to them again.

Marlin 39a is my favorite. Load 25 shorts and head out.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Works for me.
My weapon of choice:

Browning A5 12 ga
Winchester 9422 22 LR
Two good choices, there. My FIL liked to go out with a Sweet 16 and come back with his pockets full of quail, rabbits, squirrels, and maybe some walnuts. Persimmons he just ate on the spot.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16

My two favorite cartridges for squirrel hunting are the 22rimfire sub-sonic for early hunting when the leaves on the trees are pretty thick and the 17HM2 when the leaves have fallen and the shots are longer.

I take mostly head shots and get some delicious meat. And being in the woods at first light is a delight all of its own.

Steve
I damn near have a heart attack every time one of those 200 lbs. squirrels comes sneaking up on me when I'm on stand during deer season. I swear it's Buckzilla paying me a visit to get my pacemaker going!
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Love squirrel hunting! These old bones can't sit for too long.Stalking tree rats is a hoot!
Posted By: rem141r Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
yep. i never miss the 1st day here in PA. when i was a kid i used grandpaps mod 12 and would get lots of limits. now i use the 77/22 for the long shots and a pre-18 s&w for the close shots. i try to get enough for one squirrel potpie for deer camp. but ya, its funny how you can hunt and not see one and hunt the same spot in deer season and them suckers are crawling on every tree. archery season has kind of cut into my squirrelin' lately but if i had to only hunt one thing the rest of my days, it would be squirrels in the late october PA woods.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I damn near have a heart attack every time one of those 200 lbs. squirrels comes sneaking up on me when I'm on stand during deer season. I swear it's Buckzilla paying me a visit to get my pacemaker going!

Years ago (I was around 17) I was positive a big 'ole buck was sneaking up behind me, my heart was racing and I was in full anticipation mode, all of the sudden the buck started moving very fast and a freaking black squirrel ran across my legs!

I schit my pants! laugh
Posted By: Armednfree Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
What we have up here in northern Ohio is Fox Squirrels. Down in S.E. Ohio it's grays. Completely different critter. The Fox will sit for a scoped shot, that gray just keeps moving. I got got rid of the scope on the grays, open sights only.

I have a friend that runs a fiest on squirrels, he cleans up on them.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
My father and his brothers grew up as subsistence hunters. In East Texas, squirrels were the primary target. I learned most of my outdoor (and survival) skills as a result of squirrel hunting and catfishing. Those skills are substantial, and while I don't hunt squirrels much anymore, the memories are fond.
Posted By: htredneck Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Walks in the Missouri woods, flintlocks and squirrels were made for each other!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RS308MX Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I got back into it with my grandson. Now I just need to figure out how to cook them so they're tender and edible. I think I'll try a pressure cooker this year. Anyone have good cooking tips? Our season open Sept.1.

Bob
Posted By: saddlering Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I love to hunt them and as a kid I mailed my squirrel tails to Mepps also! One time I had a squirrel messing with me while bow hunting, about the third time I thought he came back, and was shocked to see a big 10pt. at 10yrds I was so shook I missed him by a foot!
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Pat,

That picture of you on the bike would scare away all the squirrels and the squirrel hunters who I know.

Pretty clever of you even though most of us would lose our latest breakfast, lunch and supper if we saw you.

Hope all is well with you!

Steve
...and you as well Steve! I've really let myself go.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I love to squirrel hunt. The season opens in Tennessee on August 27 this year. I plan to be in the woods.
Posted By: deflave Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I love it but not a lot of hardwood forests around here.

Dave
Posted By: Gus Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
first squirrel ever kilt was curled up in the top of a 100' tall yellow poplar. he was enjoying the last of the january sun when gramp's single shot stevens spoke.

it was a good day in the woods. still remember it. i did almost all my later killing with a rem. mdl 572 fieldmaster.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I thought you'd lost some weight. heheh and maybe gotten some hair implants.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Armednfree

The best time to hunt them in the South is during deer season. After about mid to late December, they start to rut and spend most of the rest of sq. season inside the trees. After they've bred, a sq. might not touch the ground but twice a day until March.
Posted By: Redneck Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
It's been a few years, but I have gone squirrel hunting since I was about 12 years old.. The area I grew up was rife with oak trees and a slow pace (read: snail's) through the woods with my Rem 572 pump 22 would usually result in a half-dozen Fox squirrels in an easy afternoon.. Slow-cooker with veggies and dumplings on top made for a very good and hearty meal..

I think the last time I went out was in 2010 with my son.. I miss it. Have to get goin' again..
Lots of good memories of squirrel hunting. The hickory trees in my front yard are just now being raided. Went out a few minutes ago and watched a couple of grays tearing 'em up. Season doesn't open for few weeks - them critters don't know they are living on borrowed time. My Marlin 39A is the bill collector.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Count me in. It is also a GREAT way to scout on public land. I don't bowhunt so I take to the woods with my LC Smith SxS in search of the little bastages (and rabbits) until rifle season opens...so Oct 2nd until late November. I'll pick it back up again when rifle season closes which is early February. And squirrel / rabbit season closes the end of February here.

Love it.
Posted By: ingwe Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by deflave
I love it but not a lot of hardwood forests around here.

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^^

This

But a few years ago an 'Invasive species' moved into town, which means no closed season, no bag limit. So at least I get some fried squirrel once in a while whistle

[Linked Image]
I thought you'd lost some weight. heheh and maybe gotten some hair implants.

I thought he looked pretty good......fer a retired Texan. grin
I had forgotten about selling squirrel tails to the Mepps company until I read this thread. I did that too as a kid and it was a big deal when I got my check from Mepps in the mail.

Back then I hunted with an old Savage M24 .22/.410 with .22 Longs and paper hulled Mohawk #6 shot, Best squirrel gun a kid ever had. I still take that old gun out a time or two every season.

Most often these days I squirrel hunt with a Marlin 39A with a scope and it's pure death on gray squirrels.

We used to have a lot of Fox squirrels but now it's just gray's. Don't know where all the fox squirrels went.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Squirrel season been open for several months here. Been way too how to be out in the woods. Starting to cool off some. They are starting to hit some of the early acorns. I like to wait until the 3rd weed of sep when it's cooler and they are hitting the hickory nuts.
Posted By: rem141r Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie

We used to have a lot of Fox squirrels but now it's just gray's. Don't know where all the fox squirrels went.

Mepps? smile
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
For me, dove season, which opens the first Sat. in Sept, is just a teaser for the real hunting season to open. First Sat. in Oct. squirrel season opens, and it is on (as the kids use to say).

Squirrel and deer hunting are my favorites.

Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie

Mepps? smile

laugh laugh That made me snort coffee out of my nose.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Do y'all eat the brains, Randy? One of my friends' Mother cooked the brains when we brought squirrels in to her.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Used to squirrel hunt religiously as a kid. I had a Model 12 20 guage and cannot tell you how many I killed, as I hunted every chance I got. Grew out of it as I got older, but after retiring last year, took up the sport again. Last year, I killed 52 squirrels, all with my Remington 511 22. Never saw so many squirrels here on the farm, they were literally everywhere. I went yesterday morning and only saw one. What a difference a year makes. I must have hit the migration just right last year.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Nothing like a crisp fall morning in the Missouri Ozark woods and hunting those tree rats with the 22 of choice that day. usually either my M77/22 with scope or my 39A Mounty sporting a peep site. if i go 12 ga later in the year its with an old win 97.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: milespatton Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Do y'all eat the brains, Randy? One of my friends' Mother cooked the brains when we brought squirrels in to her.

Always skinned the head out here, unless head shot. After cooking, both the brains and the tongue was eaten. I loved to squirrel hunt when I could walk good, and had the woods to hunt in, of which most are off limits now. Also had a lot of older folks that wanted the meat. Now nobody much will eat them. miles
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I squirrel hunt every year. But less as I get older.
When I was younger I used a shotgun but now I hunt with a 22. I don't sit and hunt. I move slowly.It is a good way to find where the deer are using.
I like to eat them too. I brown them then add some liquid to the pot and let them simmer a couple of hours till they are tender. They make a good gravy.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I like a good squirrel hunt too , usually several different 22s or sometimes in early season i'll use an old 870 or Model 12 in 16 ga.
Originally Posted by htredneck
Walks in the Missouri woods, flintlocks and squirrels were made for each other!

[Linked Image]

nice looking flintlock there htredneck! you throwing shot or a ball at them? (i am assuming 30 cal?)
Posted By: RWE Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I so want to take the day off now.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Biscuits and squirrel gravy.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
That's what I started hunting as a kid. Loved it and still do. When young I used a shotgun, but hated when they didn't die quick. Plus chomping down on shot hurt sometime! So I went to a 22 and head shots only. I don't kill as many, but it makes you work for it more, and the shooting skill is higher. I use the Remington sub sonic hollow points. My rifle shoots them well, quiet and I can hear when I get a good shot with the thud!
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I started out in hunting by hunting squirrels and still do every year. Here in Missouri the season opens in late May but I prefer to wait until it cools down. Many good memories from afield especially with my dog.
When I cook up the squirrel meat I like to make a stir fry.
Looking forward to getting out the Marlin 25-20.
Posted By: aalf Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16

This has been taped to the cabinet door in the loading room since the 70's....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I love to hunt them. Also my favorite wild game to eat.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Haven't squirrel hunted since the late 70's and just haven't had time but since I retired at the end of April this fall is gonna be different. Got a new CZ 455 .22 on order but if need be I've got several other 22's to pick from. Got several spots picked out including a piece of a 6000 acre spread of heavily forested state land that always has lots of squirrels when I'm deer hunting. Buddy of mine has a dynamite squirrel recipe. We did lots of tree rat hunting when we were starving college students and that saved grocery money so we could have extra beer money.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Haven't squirrel hunted since the late 70's and just haven't had time but since I retired at the end of April this fall is gonna be different. Got a new CZ 455 .22 on order but if need be I've got several other 22's to pick from. Got several spots picked out including a piece of a 6000 acre spread of heavily forested state land that always has lots of squirrels when I'm deer hunting. Buddy of mine has a dynamite squirrel recipe. We did lots of tree rat hunting when we were starving college students and that saved grocery money so we could have extra beer money.

Can you share the recipe?
Originally Posted by aalf

This has been taped to the cabinet door in the loading room since the 70's....

[Linked Image]

Man that brings back memories! Back then Mepps had that ad in the back of every Sports Afield,Outdoor Life, Field & Stream etc.

I haven't read one of magazines in years, I wonder if they still advertise for squirrel tails?
I hunt them with the kids every year now. We have a blast and really get after them until deer season starts. October is the bomb for squirrel hunting, with beautiful weather and lots of good shooting.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
[Linked Image]

The squirrel dogs grabbing a bonus during the hunt
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

The squirrel dogs grabbing a bonus during the hunt

Good dogs!!! smile
Posted By: maddog Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Just found this thread, cause I been out all morning squirrel hunting. grin

I've hunted them since I was 12 yrs. old. However a lot of big game hunting got in the way for years. Since my DG hunt with my son, back in 2011, I've considered my bucket list pretty much full, as far as big game hunting is concerned. Since 2012, I've found a new love for hunting "limb chickens". Our season, here in Indiana opened Aug. 15th [as it does every year] and goes to Jan. 31st.

I currently have 4 .22 rifles, and would rather hunt squirrels than anything else. With almost 100 whitetails under my belt in the last 30 yrs, except for a freezer deer, I don't even care to hunt them much anymore.

maddog
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
ME!

I'd rather hunt squirrels than deer, well, sort of......

Marlin 917M2S with a Weaver V16 on top. There is no better squirrel cartridge than the 17HM2. Heck, if more people hunted squirrels, CCI and maybe even Eley would make enough 17HM2 ammo to go around.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had some of the best naps while out hunting them suckers.

Miss it a lot.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by 22250rem

Can you share the recipe?
I'd have to ask him when I get a chance; he's presently in S. Carolina. I wouldn't mind getting that recipe, I've had it enough times to know I like it.
Originally Posted by maddog
....and would rather hunt squirrels than anything else.

Me too!
Posted By: whelennut Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I had to use a .410 with a bad extractor when I was a kid.
Now I found an old Belgian Browning T Bolt.
I love this little rifle. I took the screen off the window in the kitchen and I can shoot them while I am having breakfast.
Nothing like head shooting the little rascals.
whelennut
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I can't speak for Randy, but my grandfather eats the brains. When hunting for myself, I cut the heads off, but when hunting for grand dad, I leave the heads on.

He got me to try one once. Not my thing, although the jowls and tongue have some meat I'll eat.
FyrepowrX those are some very very nice looking rifles you have there. look to be good shooters too.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16

Nope, believe it or not, I don't like squirrels, I just love to hunt them. Besides, I do my best to make head shots.

I'll eat a little squirrel gravy on biscuits, but that's about all.

I'll save up enough for a squirrel cookout, invite family and friends, and they will cook them up. Also, at Thanksgiving several of the cousins show up to hunt for the week, and that is one of the meals, early in the week, before the feast. Sometimes they will cook 30 or more squirrels at one time.

This thread has really got me thinking about some Fried squirrel! grin

I traded for a new Winchester 9410 lever action .410 last year and I think I may have to try it in the squirrel woods this year.

Nice light little shotgun with the easy to see fire sights or whatever they are called for old blind bastids like me.
Nice to see so many of us still enjoy chasing the bushytails around. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of interest in squirrel hunting up here. In Minnesota, it seems like it's more ducks, pheasants, and grouse. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be just an afterthought.

We used to do fried squirrel, or squirrel and dumplings. Mom used to have a coronary when Dad would lift the lid on the dumplings. Dad was a pot checker, and apparently that didn't work with Mom's dumpling recipes. The dumplings would come out hard as cannon balls if you "popped the top" early. She'd be mad as a wet hen at him.

I grew up in northeast Ohio, and we had fox squirrels. The things looked like groundhogs compared to grey squirrels. When I lived in Kent for a year, we had black squirrels. The story was that a research project using black squirrels at Kent State resulted in several of them being let loose, and they populated the area. Man, they were black as coal.

Up here in Minnesota we have greys and red squirrels. Those reds are a royal pain in the azz when deer hunting. I had one barking at me for over an hour one time and he finally pizzed me off enough that I shot him. With a 12 ga. rifled slug. Needles to say there wasn't much left.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Is your real ID Big Mortie?
Posted By: joken2 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
There are countless quality videos on big game, turkey, waterfowl and game bird hunting but not a lot on squirrel hunting. Here's one I like:

Links below to several more squirrel hunting videos that some here might also enjoy. (A couple include recipes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG_vQzukcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhO4DpFzqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5zFfC02uKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqG86ZhEVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUXVYrnAv9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKk3eCAUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTnrK60YCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmiO0sAbSA
Squirrels have driven me to the edge of madness during more than one deer season.

I've snapped and killed several with deer rifles or a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol.

If the ATF will get on the ball and approve my form 4 so I can use a suppressor on the .22 those rats are gonna' get a lesson in deer season manners for sure.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
There's a Squirrel Hunting competition up here in Michigan every year called the Chrome Squirrel. It started out as a hunt between friends for a different species, but since that wasn't working they just decided to have a squirrel hunt. They made up an impromptu trophy of some sort and the Chrome Squirrel tournament was born!

https://www.facebook.com/Chrome-Squirrel-339211586111702/?fref=ts

There are several hundred participants each year and growing....lot's of prizes given away as well as cash for top placing divisions.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I quit shooting squirrels sometime back but every now and then I still catch a glimpse of one while watching the news!
Posted By: philgood80 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a bunch of dumplins Reloder!!!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Squirrel hunting is my favorite activity. I kill a bunch with a Ruger 10/22, Mannlicher stocked rifle. CCI Mini Mags and a 4X Scope.
My "Old Reliable" squirrel rifle is a 1930s manufacture Remington bolt target rifle. With the same CCI Mini Mags, and a 3-9 Scope, it's an honest 75 yard killer.
Newest one is a 1970 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. 2-7X Leupold and CCI Mini Mags. It is becoming every busy tail's bete noire. smile
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by websterparish47

I can't speak for Randy, but my grandfather eats the brains. When hunting for myself, I cut the heads off, but when hunting for grand dad, I leave the heads on.

He got me to try one once. Not my thing, although the jowls and tongue have some meat I'll eat.

Kay "Miss Kay" Robertson from the Duck Commander Robertson family claims to be a big fan of fried squirrel brains.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Idaho has no squirrel season. For natives, we only have reds and not in great enough numbers to hunt. We do have lots of imported fox squirrels which can be shot anytime without a limit, but they're mostly found in cities where we can't shoot. I get them in my orchard and shoot them whenever I can find them. They're hell on apricots and other fruit.
They'll play heck with your sweet corn too. Leave the cobs sticking out like a coat rack. Often, when a corn field abuts a woods, getting permission to hunt is easy.
Posted By: hanco Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I'm ready to go, lost of them in east Texas
friggen squirrels have raped my tomato plants this year. wish i could shoot them but that's a no no living in the county.
Posted By: deflave Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Get a slingshot.

And a bag of treats.

Dave
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
friggen squirrels have raped my tomato plants this year. wish i could shoot them but that's a no no living in the county.

You need a hot wire strung three inches off the ground around your plants.
I use a Ruger 77 with a stainless Douglas barrel. Leupold 8x scope.

So how do you guys skin them? My grandmother was the best squirrel hunter I ever met, shoe showed me how she did it. Grab the tail and start cutting through the hide right at the tail/back junction. Feather the hide down the back a bit, then step on the tail, and pull up with the back legs. It will skin right to the front legs. I carry a knife, plastic bag and side cutters in a bag, and skin and clean in the woods when I get a few. Much easier when they are warm!
Oh, and my grandmother would par boil them for a while, then fry them in bacon grease.

I have just cut them into pieces, throw them in a crock pot with some cream of mushroom soup, and let me go for several hours. Meat falls off the bone.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I was taught to part the hair midway on the back by blowing on it, then making an incision through the skin big enough to put both forefingers in. Pulling my fingers apart strips the skin from head to tail. Just like skinning cottontails.
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I use a Ruger 77 with a stainless Douglas barrel. Leupold 8x scope.

So how do you guys skin them? My grandmother was the best squirrel hunter I ever met, shoe showed me how she did it. Grab the tail and start cutting through the hide right at the tail/back junction. Feather the hide down the back a bit, then step on the tail, and pull up with the back legs. It will skin right to the front legs. I carry a knife, plastic bag and side cutters in a bag, and skin and clean in the woods when I get a few. Much easier when they are warm!

I have skinned them that way too, sometimes it comes off just like you explained, sometimes not so much. I've been thinking about the air compressor trick to make it even easier.
Posted By: Pugs Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Nice to see so many of us still enjoy chasing the bushytails around. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of interest in squirrel hunting up here. In Minnesota, it seems like it's more ducks, pheasants, and grouse. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be just an afterthought.

I sure enjoy it and look forward to hunting them this fall. I think a lot of folks that squirrel hunted are now bowhunting deer or at least when I'm squirrel hunting that's who I see.

Sure a relaxing way to spend a morning. I do have to admit often taking a paperback book along. grin

[Linked Image]
I would like to add that when I mentioned the compressed air trick I was thinking about bringing a bottle of air like for recharging paintball guns to keep in the truck and then use that. The air compressor would be a pain to bring along :-)
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I do not hunt squirrels, but I do shoot squirrels when the opportunity presents itself.
After reading through this thread earlier I had to get the 39A out and make sure the scope (and me) was still on target.

The scope is fine but that rifle is so much fun I put 150 rounds through it before I made myself quit.
I'm a squirrel hunter primarily. Also see rabbits occasionally. Sometimes go to the field and watch for doves. Never could get interested in the big game hunting, nor could I have afforded to travel much to hunt anything outside of north Alabama.

I've hunted squirrels with a variety of firearms. What I have now is a Kimber Hunter 22, a .177 Beeman R1 air rifle, a .22 cal. PCP Evanix air rifle, and a 12 gauge SxS. I prefer the Kimber out of all of them, but do enjoy using all. Seems like every time I end up carrying something besides the Kimber all of the squirrels will be beyond range of the airguns and shotguns.
Posted By: blanket Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Biscuits and squirrel gravy.
This, Started out with a 22 cal. Crossman 140 in the early 1960's, moved to a 22, then to a High Standard Victor in the 70's and 80's. Then to a 32 cal flintlock in the 90's. Then back to a 1960's Sheridan 5mm. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on a stump in the woods hunting squirrels and biscuits and gravy made from them. Some call it hunting, I call it living.
I was taught to part the hair midway on the back by blowing on it, then making an incision through the skin big enough to put both forefingers in. Pulling my fingers apart strips the skin from head to tail. Just like skinning cottontails.
This, I skin them as soon as I pick them up
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image]

No offense, but I'd have taken you for a city slicker that had too much money...until I saw how you had those squirrels strung. smile
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

[Linked Image]

No offense, but I'd have taken you for a city slicker that had too much money...until I saw how you had those squirrels strung. smile
on a stick, ya baby
Posted By: jimmyp Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I shoot the vermin tree rats off my bird feeder, I guess you can say I hunt them.
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
The cutting thru tail, splitting hide a little ways on both sides and standing on tail and pulling squirrel up/ then pulling pair of pants is the best way to skin as stated earlier. When you get good you can skin with no hair on meat. You can also skin this way having someone hold by back legs. You can also roll in car or truck window and pull that way.
Posted By: byc Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Freaking squirrels!!

Over 10 years we've yet to harvest a single apple, peach, grape, cherry, pear and various other garden items thanks to squirrels. I started my war on the bastids but it did no good. They simply replaced themselves as quick as I took them out. Then the women in the family campaigned against the kill so all was lost. Thinking the baby tree rat shot did me in. eek

Over the years they've eaten the above ground sprinkler system, Christmas lights and the plastic flag holders.

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit. They know exactly what they're doing.

F em!

Posted By: jmillo Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I've hunted them since old enough to follow my father thru the woods. My children hunt with me now. Problem is, they squirrels are so acorn crop dependent here that not every year is worth chasing them.
Posted By: Pugs Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by byc
Freaking squirrels!!

Over 10 years we've yet to harvest a single apple, peach, grape, cherry, pear and various other garden items thanks to squirrels. I started my war on the bastids but it did no good. They simply replaced themselves as quick as I took them out. Then the women in the family campaigned against the kill so all was lost. Thinking the baby tree rat shot did me in. eek

Over the years they've eaten the above ground sprinkler system, Christmas lights and the plastic flag holders.

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit. They know exactly what they're doing.

F em!

After the camp "birdfeeder incident" my wife has declared them the A-holes of the animal kingdom and condones me eliminating them. grin The fact she likes squirrel pot pie is a bonus.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16

Bwahahaha...that handle is a blast from the past. He loved hunting "squill" with his Marlin .45-70. Pages and pages of illiterate drivel about how accurate his .45-70 was and how it was the best "squill" gun ever.

Not sure who the troll or prankster was but it was a relatively short-lived handle...had a few good chuckles at him though.
Posted By: bea175 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Squirrel hunting is my passion in Sept
Posted By: MagMarc Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
2 weeks to go here. Going with a single shot Remington 514 from my boyhood this year.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I shoot the vermin tree rats off my bird feeder, I guess you can say I hunt them.
you need to eat more squirrel's thru the year. I love to watch them all year long and have about 2500 acres of timber around my little patch of ground
Posted By: Dale K Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I was just thinking today that my next range trip should include checking the sights on the 22. Squirrel season opens in mid Oct.

Dale
Posted By: weagle Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I've been hunting squirrels for 40+ years in GA. This will be my first year hunting with a suppressed .22. I have a new Savage MKII compact with a suppressor and the CCI standards are grouping well inside minute squirrel noggin.

nah, i pretty much grew up in the woods, with a .22 in one hand and a fishin pole in the other.... i'm still about half feral, but i can almost pass for civilized, until some asks the best way to skin something.

Stick selection is pretty important, after you get 6 or 7 of them on there, stick wants to bend some... wink

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Bwahahaha...that handle is a blast from the past. He loved hunting "squill" with his Marlin .45-70. Pages and pages of illiterate drivel about how accurate his .45-70 was and how it was the best "squill" gun ever.

Not sure who the troll or prankster was but it was a relatively short-lived handle...had a few good chuckles at him though.
You gotta admire a guy that throws flying ashtrays at tree rats out of a 45-70.
Posted By: Cabarillo Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
I learned something from the posting. Use the pickup window to clamp the tail. The grandson will think I am the smartest guy alive. And thanks.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by byc
Freaking squirrels!!

What sucks is they only take one bite from each piece of fruit.

F em!

David, that's how they do my Roma tomatoes.

I give them no quarter. F with my romas.. you're done.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Squirrel hunting is my favorite activity. I kill a bunch with a Ruger 10/22, Mannlicher stocked rifle. CCI Mini Mags and a 4X Scope.
My "Old Reliable" squirrel rifle is a 1930s manufacture Remington bolt target rifle. With the same CCI Mini Mags, and a 3-9 Scope, it's an honest 75 yard killer.
Newest one is a 1970 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. 2-7X Leupold and CCI Mini Mags. It is becoming every busy tail's bete noire. smile

Sam, I have a Ruger 10/22 stainless with a full mannlicher stock as well. It was my fathers.....
Posted By: maddog Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Here's some pics of the last 4 seasons, and the different rimfires I use.

[Linked Image]

My Marlin 39a with a scope on it. Since then, I took the scope off and put a receiver sight on the ole girl. I've owned that rifle since 1975.

[Linked Image]

My H&R Sportster single shot.22 with a camo job done to it. I've used it a lot in the last 3-4 yrs. I did a DG hunt in Zimbabwe back in 2011 with a single shot rifle, so using a single shot for squirrel hunting was a natural progression. grin

[Linked Image]

Got it in my head, a few yrs. ago that I wanted to use iron sights again[at 60 yrs.+]. So I bought a 10/22 and put a williams firesight peep on it. The pic above is the first limb chicken I killed with it, and a head shot to boot. grin

[Linked Image]

Lastly, I bought another 10/22, modified it with a BX trigger and put a 3-9x rimfire scope on board, and thats what I'm using, primarily this season.

maddog
Reading through the thread, I saw where guys are looking for some good recipes. Here is a great one, and a good way to use up old squirrels.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

Also some additional food pics.......

[Linked Image]

Traditional fried.

[Linked Image]

with gravy....

[Linked Image]

squirrel pot pie.

[Linked Image]

with cornbread.....

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Mike...it may be time to re-post your Limb Chicken Chowder.

Absolutely the best soup of any kind Ive ever eaten.
Tom, that's what the link in at the top of the above post. Later today I'll ad my "imbelishments" to the link. grin
Posted By: gmsemel Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Yep, I sure do! I can tie a lot of flies off of a squirrel pelt and tail! I send mine off to the tanners I then cut zonker strips some I dye orange black, olive! It costs a little like all things but its worth the price for me! And its one of my favorite game meats too!
Posted By: ingwe Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Originally Posted by maddog
Tom, that's what the link in at the top of the above post. Later today I'll ad my "imbelishments" to the link. grin

Thanks Mike. I didn't click on it.

But I too 'embellished' the recipe a tad....hard to do, but I did it! grin

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles FPX.I have this model that's still NIB.I received a certificate with it that entitled me to receive a copy of a book about Kimber when it was published.Apparently the book never came to fruition.When I retire this rifle will be used.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/24/16
Originally Posted by sportingspecialist

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles FPX.I have this model that's still NIB.I received a certificate with it that entitled me to receive a copy of a book about Kimber when it was published.Apparently the book never came to fruition.When I retire this rifle will be used.

that one was a chance encounter at a local gun show, fellow was walking around with a kimber box, so naturally i had to ask what was in it.

that was about 15 years ago......its been a wicked killer, it carries great , & shoots minute-of-squirrel-eye.
Squirrel! My favorite season. Generally use a 16 gauge double or Browning 22LR. Been hunting them since the early 60s starting with a Remington 514 and then a savage 24 in 20 ga/22LR.
Posted By: maddog Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Our season has been open for about 10 days, and there has only been three worth trying to hunt, between heat, humidity and RAIN! frown
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Season opens early, (WAY TOO HOT!!) but stays open after deer season, so pre-season scouting with a rifle and squirrel, and post season, in the cold with a rifle and squirrel. It's a win-win.

My weapon of choice a SAKO Quad 22 LR, Leupold Rimfire 2-7.
Rainy days and squirrel hunting really go together, as long as it's not windy. Them stupid squirrels love to come out in the rain.
Posted By: milespatton Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Stick selection is pretty important, after you get 6 or 7 of them on there, stick wants to bend some...

I have an old newspaper bag, like the boys that delivered carried them in, that I carry Squirrels in. You can load front and back to balance it out. Dyed it green. I doubt if you can get them any more, but I went to the newspaper office and bought 2 back in the 80's, I think a medium, and gave 1 to a friend. Most that I ever carried in it was 17. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Was it a male and if so did you make a toothpick? miles
Posted By: saddlering Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Yes MD please post that Squirrel stew recipe! I ment to write it down, guess I forgot!
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
Rainy days and squirrel hunting really go together, as long as it's not windy. Them stupid squirrels love to come out in the rain.

Yep, when they jump from tree to tree, it's a calling card!
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/25/16
most years we'll make a couple of hunts with the .32 & .36 muzzleloaders, but last year i got caught up in deer hunting pretty heavy, and didn't squirrel hunt as much.

started shooting a .40 flinter this year, so this year it'll get into the woods a few times.

couple with the .32 TC Cherokee:
[Linked Image]

Posted By: maddog Re: So who squirrel hunts? - 08/27/16
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yes MD please post that Squirrel stew recipe! I ment to write it down, guess I forgot!

Here ya go. I posted the link a couple days ago, but here it is along with some embelishments.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

I also add a can of whole kernel corn, and a can of mushroom slices. If you want it slightly sweeter, replace the half and half with a can of condensed milk.

maddog

© 24hourcampfire