Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Do y'all eat the brains, Randy? One of my friends' Mother cooked the brains when we brought squirrels in to her.

I can't speak for Randy, but my grandfather eats the brains. When hunting for myself, I cut the heads off, but when hunting for grand dad, I leave the heads on.

He got me to try one once. Not my thing, although the jowls and tongue have some meat I'll eat.

Kay "Miss Kay" Robertson from the Duck Commander Robertson family claims to be a big fan of fried squirrel brains.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has no squirrel season. For natives, we only have reds and not in great enough numbers to hunt. We do have lots of imported fox squirrels which can be shot anytime without a limit, but they're mostly found in cities where we can't shoot. I get them in my orchard and shoot them whenever I can find them. They're hell on apricots and other fruit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They'll play heck with your sweet corn too. Leave the cobs sticking out like a coat rack. Often, when a corn field abuts a woods, getting permission to hunt is easy.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I'm ready to go, lost of them in east Texas

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
friggen squirrels have raped my tomato plants this year. wish i could shoot them but that's a no no living in the county.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get a slingshot.

And a bag of treats.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
friggen squirrels have raped my tomato plants this year. wish i could shoot them but that's a no no living in the county.

You need a hot wire strung three inches off the ground around your plants.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a Ruger 77 with a stainless Douglas barrel. Leupold 8x scope.

So how do you guys skin them? My grandmother was the best squirrel hunter I ever met, shoe showed me how she did it. Grab the tail and start cutting through the hide right at the tail/back junction. Feather the hide down the back a bit, then step on the tail, and pull up with the back legs. It will skin right to the front legs. I carry a knife, plastic bag and side cutters in a bag, and skin and clean in the woods when I get a few. Much easier when they are warm!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh, and my grandmother would par boil them for a while, then fry them in bacon grease.

I have just cut them into pieces, throw them in a crock pot with some cream of mushroom soup, and let me go for several hours. Meat falls off the bone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was taught to part the hair midway on the back by blowing on it, then making an incision through the skin big enough to put both forefingers in. Pulling my fingers apart strips the skin from head to tail. Just like skinning cottontails.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I use a Ruger 77 with a stainless Douglas barrel. Leupold 8x scope.

So how do you guys skin them? My grandmother was the best squirrel hunter I ever met, shoe showed me how she did it. Grab the tail and start cutting through the hide right at the tail/back junction. Feather the hide down the back a bit, then step on the tail, and pull up with the back legs. It will skin right to the front legs. I carry a knife, plastic bag and side cutters in a bag, and skin and clean in the woods when I get a few. Much easier when they are warm!

I have skinned them that way too, sometimes it comes off just like you explained, sometimes not so much. I've been thinking about the air compressor trick to make it even easier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Nice to see so many of us still enjoy chasing the bushytails around. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of interest in squirrel hunting up here. In Minnesota, it seems like it's more ducks, pheasants, and grouse. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be just an afterthought.

I sure enjoy it and look forward to hunting them this fall. I think a lot of folks that squirrel hunted are now bowhunting deer or at least when I'm squirrel hunting that's who I see.

Sure a relaxing way to spend a morning. I do have to admit often taking a paperback book along. grin

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to add that when I mentioned the compressed air trick I was thinking about bringing a bottle of air like for recharging paintball guns to keep in the truck and then use that. The air compressor would be a pain to bring along :-)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I do not hunt squirrels, but I do shoot squirrels when the opportunity presents itself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After reading through this thread earlier I had to get the 39A out and make sure the scope (and me) was still on target.

The scope is fine but that rifle is so much fun I put 150 rounds through it before I made myself quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a squirrel hunter primarily. Also see rabbits occasionally. Sometimes go to the field and watch for doves. Never could get interested in the big game hunting, nor could I have afforded to travel much to hunt anything outside of north Alabama.

I've hunted squirrels with a variety of firearms. What I have now is a Kimber Hunter 22, a .177 Beeman R1 air rifle, a .22 cal. PCP Evanix air rifle, and a 12 gauge SxS. I prefer the Kimber out of all of them, but do enjoy using all. Seems like every time I end up carrying something besides the Kimber all of the squirrels will be beyond range of the airguns and shotguns.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Biscuits and squirrel gravy.
This, Started out with a 22 cal. Crossman 140 in the early 1960's, moved to a 22, then to a High Standard Victor in the 70's and 80's. Then to a 32 cal flintlock in the 90's. Then back to a 1960's Sheridan 5mm. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on a stump in the woods hunting squirrels and biscuits and gravy made from them. Some call it hunting, I call it living.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I was taught to part the hair midway on the back by blowing on it, then making an incision through the skin big enough to put both forefingers in. Pulling my fingers apart strips the skin from head to tail. Just like skinning cottontails.
This, I skin them as soon as I pick them up

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image]

No offense, but I'd have taken you for a city slicker that had too much money...until I saw how you had those squirrels strung. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Is your real ID Big Mortie?
Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.