Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
ME!

I'd rather hunt squirrels than deer, well, sort of......

Marlin 917M2S with a Weaver V16 on top. There is no better squirrel cartridge than the 17HM2. Heck, if more people hunted squirrels, CCI and maybe even Eley would make enough 17HM2 ammo to go around.

GB4

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 08/23/16.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had some of the best naps while out hunting them suckers.

Miss it a lot.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Haven't squirrel hunted since the late 70's and just haven't had time but since I retired at the end of April this fall is gonna be different. Got a new CZ 455 .22 on order but if need be I've got several other 22's to pick from. Got several spots picked out including a piece of a 6000 acre spread of heavily forested state land that always has lots of squirrels when I'm deer hunting. Buddy of mine has a dynamite squirrel recipe. We did lots of tree rat hunting when we were starving college students and that saved grocery money so we could have extra beer money.

Can you share the recipe?
I'd have to ask him when I get a chance; he's presently in S. Carolina. I wouldn't mind getting that recipe, I've had it enough times to know I like it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by maddog
....and would rather hunt squirrels than anything else.

Me too!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had to use a .410 with a bad extractor when I was a kid.
Now I found an old Belgian Browning T Bolt.
I love this little rifle. I took the screen off the window in the kitchen and I can shoot them while I am having breakfast.
Nothing like head shooting the little rascals.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Do y'all eat the brains, Randy? One of my friends' Mother cooked the brains when we brought squirrels in to her.

I can't speak for Randy, but my grandfather eats the brains. When hunting for myself, I cut the heads off, but when hunting for grand dad, I leave the heads on.

He got me to try one once. Not my thing, although the jowls and tongue have some meat I'll eat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FyrepowrX those are some very very nice looking rifles you have there. look to be good shooters too.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Do y'all eat the brains, Randy? One of my friends' Mother cooked the brains when we brought squirrels in to her.

Nope, believe it or not, I don't like squirrels, I just love to hunt them. Besides, I do my best to make head shots.

I'll eat a little squirrel gravy on biscuits, but that's about all.

I'll save up enough for a squirrel cookout, invite family and friends, and they will cook them up. Also, at Thanksgiving several of the cousins show up to hunt for the week, and that is one of the meals, early in the week, before the feast. Sometimes they will cook 30 or more squirrels at one time.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This thread has really got me thinking about some Fried squirrel! grin

I traded for a new Winchester 9410 lever action .410 last year and I think I may have to try it in the squirrel woods this year.

Nice light little shotgun with the easy to see fire sights or whatever they are called for old blind bastids like me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice to see so many of us still enjoy chasing the bushytails around. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of interest in squirrel hunting up here. In Minnesota, it seems like it's more ducks, pheasants, and grouse. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be just an afterthought.

We used to do fried squirrel, or squirrel and dumplings. Mom used to have a coronary when Dad would lift the lid on the dumplings. Dad was a pot checker, and apparently that didn't work with Mom's dumpling recipes. The dumplings would come out hard as cannon balls if you "popped the top" early. She'd be mad as a wet hen at him.

I grew up in northeast Ohio, and we had fox squirrels. The things looked like groundhogs compared to grey squirrels. When I lived in Kent for a year, we had black squirrels. The story was that a research project using black squirrels at Kent State resulted in several of them being let loose, and they populated the area. Man, they were black as coal.

Up here in Minnesota we have greys and red squirrels. Those reds are a royal pain in the azz when deer hunting. I had one barking at me for over an hour one time and he finally pizzed me off enough that I shot him. With a 12 ga. rifled slug. Needles to say there wasn't much left.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is your real ID Big Mortie?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are countless quality videos on big game, turkey, waterfowl and game bird hunting but not a lot on squirrel hunting. Here's one I like:

Links below to several more squirrel hunting videos that some here might also enjoy. (A couple include recipes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG_vQzukcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhO4DpFzqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5zFfC02uKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqG86ZhEVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUXVYrnAv9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKk3eCAUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTnrK60YCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmiO0sAbSA

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Squirrels have driven me to the edge of madness during more than one deer season.

I've snapped and killed several with deer rifles or a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol.

If the ATF will get on the ball and approve my form 4 so I can use a suppressor on the .22 those rats are gonna' get a lesson in deer season manners for sure.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There's a Squirrel Hunting competition up here in Michigan every year called the Chrome Squirrel. It started out as a hunt between friends for a different species, but since that wasn't working they just decided to have a squirrel hunt. They made up an impromptu trophy of some sort and the Chrome Squirrel tournament was born!

https://www.facebook.com/Chrome-Squirrel-339211586111702/?fref=ts

There are several hundred participants each year and growing....lot's of prizes given away as well as cash for top placing divisions.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I quit shooting squirrels sometime back but every now and then I still catch a glimpse of one while watching the news!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a bunch of dumplins Reloder!!!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Squirrel hunting is my favorite activity. I kill a bunch with a Ruger 10/22, Mannlicher stocked rifle. CCI Mini Mags and a 4X Scope.
My "Old Reliable" squirrel rifle is a 1930s manufacture Remington bolt target rifle. With the same CCI Mini Mags, and a 3-9 Scope, it's an honest 75 yard killer.
Newest one is a 1970 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. 2-7X Leupold and CCI Mini Mags. It is becoming every busy tail's bete noire. smile

Sam......

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 260Remguy, 222ND, 61 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,032
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.