Home
Posted By: BigNate Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
I'm on nights all weekend. Had our presents opened tonight by 1630 and am eating out of a box tonight. Will roast prime rib tomorrow night on the grill here at work. Missing the family a bunch, but somebody's got to keep the lights on.
Posted By: kciH Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
My wife is a nurse, so she'll pull a 6-2 tomorrow. That really means she'll pull a 6-4. Fear not, I'll have a nice rack of lamb and fixin's on hand when she gets home, probably with a moderately decent Pinot.

It's not like she works in a supermarket or convenience store, that MUST stay open for people that can't plan ahead for a whole f'in day.
Posted By: EdM Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
I have worked abroad during the holidays away from family but since June 1 2014 I quit working.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
Just started my 12 hr shift .
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
I spent a lot of years working for a telephone co and working holidays was something we all did.

It has been a long time since I've done it, but I always think of those that have service jobs that require them to be away from home and family on the holidays and appreciate what they do.

That doesn't even begin to express how much I feel we owe the men and women in military and the sacrifice they willingly make each day. Just can't thank them enough.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
I'm at work now holding down a desk.
I;m working on Christmas Day.
But, I am a preacher, and it's Sunday, so no surprise.
Bless you all.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
Nope, not me. Been there done that. Now my old department staffing is so screwed up guys are working Eve and Day. And those are 24 hour shifts.
Yep, thanks guys.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
Just another day of the same work for me. Except a lot more of it. One of the reasons we look forward to the holidays is because it's the busiest time of the year. Sometimes when I get depressed because of it, I think of all these people who can get away without having to worry about the dog(s)
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/24/16
Where i work ( Water Treatment Plant for the state of Va ) it's 24/7/365 coverage . I have enough seniority I could have taken off , but all the others here have kids also . Work today and then off for another 11 days including one more hunting trip so it's not all bad.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Spent 15 years as an EMT. Been there, done that. A hearty "THANK YOU" to all the folks working today to keep the rest of us dead beats safe and comfortable.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Not working, but I am 6000 miles away. It sucks, but only the 2nd time I have had to do so in the 8 years I've been married. I will get on the FaceTime video chat when they wake up...that does make it a bit easier.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I don't expect to be working, but am on call 24/7.
Just got back from a fire call.

Stay safe everyone.
Not anymore, but have worked more Christmas, than not, never had any kids , so I shift trade so guys with little ones could be off!
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Working now.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I don't even have a job at the moment, but in my younger years, l use to pray l would get a chance to work the holidays and collect the overtime pay. That kind of ended when I sent my first wife on down the road. She always felt that if the credit cards weren't max out by Christmas, we were saving to much.
Posted By: doover72 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I do commercial refrigeration and I'm on call. I have 77.5 hours since Monday.
Originally Posted by BigNate
I'm on nights all weekend. Had our presents opened tonight by 1630 and am eating out of a box tonight. Will roast prime rib tomorrow night on the grill here at work. Missing the family a bunch, but somebody's got to keep the lights on.

Kudos! Power plant guy, myself. Got to keep the lights on.
Posted By: doover72 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Originally Posted by saddlering
Not anymore, but have worked more Christmas, than not, never had any kids , so I shift trade so guys with little ones could be off!

That's how I am. I used to trade call every year with another guy who had small kids. I make the call schedule, and I made it this year to where I have Christmas because everyone else has kids.
Posted By: rong Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
A big hearty THANK YOU to all in any service branch or any first responders (or anyone for that matter)stuck with working today for the benefit of others.
Merry Christmas
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Da cows ain't gonna feed themselves!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Da cows ain't gonna feed themselves!

and the horses ain't gonna feed themselves. grin
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Ours have a round bale feeder but I still stop every morning and give 'em a little barley cake.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Round bale feeders here, too, but give them a whistle and ration out of the TMR mixer.
Posted By: chris112 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Another one working tonight. Hope the weather doesn't get as bad as they are predicting.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
The horses sure enjoyed the hay this morning with snow and wind out of the north at about 10 to 15 mph. I don't call it work, as it only takes me about 20 min,morning and night , to feed 15 head of draft horses and mules.
Posted By: Double_D Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I will be on a 1400-2200 shift tonight, double time and sunday pay help ease the sting a bit
Posted By: stripe55 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Nites, boiler house don't stop
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
10 years active duty in the military with most of those years as an MP, civilian law enforcement, and presently security at one of SE Michigan's largest health systems. I have worked holidays all of my adult life. Today is no different. Working 1430 - 2300. Holiday pay is nice though.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Another power plant guy here.... except I'm retired. Anyone who's worked for a 24/7/365 operation long enough will work a day or night shift on every single holiday you can think of. My shifts were 12 hours but at least on holidays the pay was better.
I dodged my farm chores this morning. My brother said he'd take care of my share. I've got young kids and an noon lunch at the in-laws so it would've made a busy morning.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I work at a hospital ,maint.mech . 12 hour shifts 7pm to 7am .
Posted By: jnyork Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
I just checked the Wyoming road cams, Central Wyoming blizzard conditions. Still, roads have been plowed. These guys work anytime it snows, Christmas is no different. Here's to them. smile
Posted By: hanco Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Daughter is a nurse , she's working today
was lucky to have off today, Doing a massive change over at the local chrysler assembly plant, turning it into a jeep plant (new cherokee) They wanted everyone to work, while the General foremen when home, Told them I think I'm gonna spend christmas weekend with my newborn and my wife and family, ill be back on monday for double time to bail their asses out.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/25/16
Nope! My first year out of high school, I worked for a place that had me working weekends and holidays. I quit that and vowed to never work a weekend or holiday again in my life. Now it's by my choice if I do or don't.
I don't work them anymore, but I worked rotating 12hr. shifts, and many Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter etc. for over 26 years.
After a while it's just another work day, or night.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Who's working Christmas? - 12/27/16
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Just got back from a fire call.

Stay safe everyone.

Towards the end for me I really dreaded going on fire calls on Christmas Eve/Day. That kind of destruction just really got to me deep down inside.
© 24hourcampfire