Home
Posted By: jimy Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
They made a 4 barrel set in 357 mag, barrels in 2" 4" 6" 8", were these worth a [bleep], accurate, and is $1000:00 dollars a crazy price for one in nice shape?
I've got a 6" but no spare barrels. Shoots good. Nice finish on mine.
Posted By: jimy Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
Not all that popular huh?
Posted By: walt501 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
They were called the Dan Wesson Pistol Pack and came in a nice case including a tool for swapping barrels, extra grips and a belt buckle.

[Linked Image]

Here's an article on the early models you may find interesting.

Click Here

Only a couple for sale on GunBroker currently with starting prices ranging from $1300 to $2000.
Posted By: deflave Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
Originally Posted by jimy

They were popular and are great revolvers.

Travis
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
I had one with eight and two inch barrels.
Excellent fit and finish and accuracy.

Had to sell it or loose my house back in 82 when const. tanked.

Since then I've owned a S&W Mtn gun and a Colt Python. The DW was equal to either in both catagories.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
I never owned a .357, but when I was shooting IHMSA the Dan Wesson .44 mag revolvers were what people who wanted to win used. I shot revolver class with one for a while.

They're definitely accurate,... and the big .44 mags would hold up through a lot of shooting.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
I've a DW 15-2 pistol pack. $1000 wouldn't touch it. They are awesome shooters.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
I recall that there was a lot of speculation as to why the Dan Wesson revolvers are so accurate.

One theory involved the manner that the barrel is attached to the frame.

The barrel is screwed into the frame and the cylinder gap is established with a feeler gauge between the cylinder and the barrel. Then the barrel shroud is fitted against the frame and held in place by a barrel nut screwed on the end of the barrel.

Doing so puts the barrel in tension. Basically, the barrel is being pulled between the frame and the end of the barrel shroud.

It makes sense.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
The lock time is also very fast.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
I had one of those 357 pistol packs, it was a great setup ,a buddy of mine really wanted it,so i sold it to him for $800,but this was 15 years ago. cry I still own a Dan Wesson 357 supermag ,its a real killer got a nice black bear with one shot years ago. The only thing is its hard on the ears!! crazy
Posted By: Starman Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/12/17
Its refered to as putting the barrel in 'traction'.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I had the 357 4 barrel pistol pack. It shot very well. My ex took it with her. $1000 would seem to be a good deal.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
Look at their web, they are once again making the revolver!Dan Wesson guns are all hand fitted and one of the best revolvers or 1911's that you can buy.
Posted By: WoodsStalker Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I have a 4" and 8" with mine. I wouldn't sell mine for any price. I can't even count the number of hogs it has taken. It now resides in a drawer under my computer. The best revolver that I ever had.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I have seen a couple of the pistol packs sell around here recently. Right at $1000 in excellent condition. I have almost a full pack (accumulated separately) along with some nice aftermarket barrels. Love the DW.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I purchased one in 1977. It was very accurate. Lock time was very fast. Don't know why I ever sold it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I had one, sold it, shouldn't have!!
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I have one. I think you are OK at $1000.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
$1k is very reasonable. They're excellent pistols. I've accumulated two frames and 5 factory barrels over the years. Accurate and well-finished.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
They made a 4 barrel set in 357 mag, barrels in 2" 4" 6" 8", were these worth a [bleep], accurate, and is $1000:00 dollars a crazy price for one in nice shape?

Dan Wesdon revolvers were noted for their accuracy.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
Only for people who know what they are. Great guns with the best thought out barrel swap mechanics. You don't see the multi-barrel combos much because they are so accurate and flexible that they don't get turned loose for sale much.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I recall that there was a lot of speculation as to why the Dan Wesson revolvers are so accurate.

One theory involved the manner that the barrel is attached to the frame.

The barrel is screwed into the frame and the cylinder gap is established with a feeler gauge between the cylinder and the barrel. Then the barrel shroud is fitted against the frame and held in place by a barrel nut screwed on the end of the barrel.

Doing so puts the barrel in tension. Basically, the barrel is being pulled between the frame and the end of the barrel shroud.

It makes sense.

THIS ^^^

A bud up in Canada had one .357,....it would cosistently outshoot my Python,...we'd swap, and whoever had the DW would best t'other.

GTC
Posted By: Snyper Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I have a 44 VH (made in Monson) with 8" and 6" barrels that I bought in the early to mid 80's.

I like being able to keep a scope mounted on the rib of the 8" and still being able to switch to the 6" with iron sights in just minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wesson_Firearms
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17

Dont know how accurate they are... but I got a 6" and if it's loaded and I pull the trigger, it goes bang. I can't shoot a pistol worth a darn.

I saw a complete set of these one time. It had 1 frame, 2",4",6",8",10",12" and 15" barrels, with shrouds for each, in a really nice lined case.

I lied... I have no problem shooting a pistol... I just have a problem hitting what I want, with the bullet leaving said pistol.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I started shooting revolver class in IHMSA with a 7.5" Superblackhawk .44 mag that I had put 2 lb trigger job on. I've always been a fan of the SBH and have had a few.

I shot it well enough, but I couldn't beat the guys shooting the big Dan Wessons. Also, most of them were shooting the Speer 240 grain jacketed bullets that were made just for IHMSA shooting,

I was shooting Elmer's load,..the Lyman 429421 over 22 grains of 2400. I had a lot of fun competing with the big Ruger single action with Elmer's load, but when I switched to the Dan Wesson I immediately became competitive with everybody else who was shooting them,... and I still used Elmer's load.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I think CZ is making the Dan Wesson 357 and 1911. I saw both of them at a local gun shop, and had to invoke ultimate soul discipline to walk out of the store without either or both.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I would not sell my Dan Wesson. A 357 with a 4 or 4.5 barrel. Mine says High Standard. but is the model 15. As others have said shoots so well it makes even me look like a good shot.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I started shooting revolver class in IHMSA with a 7.5" Superblackhawk .44 mag that I had put 2 lb trigger job on. I've always been a fan of the SBH and have had a few.

I shot it well enough, but I couldn't beat the guys shooting the big Dan Wessons. Also, most of them were shooting the Speer 240 grain jacketed bullets that were made just for IHMSA shooting,

I was shooting Elmer's load,..the Lyman 429421 over 22 grains of 2400. I had a lot of fun competing with the big Ruger single action with Elmer's load, but when I switched to the Dan Wesson I immediately became competitive with everybody else who was shooting them,... and I still used Elmer's load.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
My dad shot one in silhouette shooting and had no problem hitting rams at 500 meters open sites.
I don't think you'll find one that cheap anyplace else. Not for all 4 barrels.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
miss mine, it was their 22 rimfire on the 357 mag frame. shot very well. and yes i would buy another if i had the cash at time of offering.
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
miss mine, it was their 22 rimfire on the 357 mag frame. shot very well. and yes i would buy another if i had the cash at time of offering.
I had one of their 22 verions, too. I bought it for a song and put a hand in it to index the cylinder and it worked great after that. I got nearly 900 for it on Gunbroker after I had it for several years. Mine was a little beat up, too, but had all the pieces including the shims and barrel wretch.
Posted By: rwa3006 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I acquired three new Dan Wesson revolvers in the 1980's. One is a .445 super mag and the other two are .44 mags. All three are very accurate and I also got a variety of extra barrels for them. I fell in love with the shape of the grip because it seemed to transfer recoil into my hand more comfortably than most.

I had them heavily customized with cosmetic treatments from Magna-Port with the intention of making them into heirlooms to pass along to future generations. I took a fair number of deer, elk and pronghorn with the .445. The modular construction was somewhat new back when they were first introduced.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I have had a bunch of Dan Wesson`s.They were well made and super accurate.For some reason I can`t fathom ,they do not have good resale value.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
I had an early .357 and the part that appealed to me was the grip tang that allowed for nearly any grip customization.

Never did care for the blast of the .357.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/13/17
My brother has one, an old one with a pork chop shroud. It's out of time and he won't get it fixed. He says he doesn't want to have it registered. He's bought other guns so that does not make sense.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by Armednfree
My brother has one, an old one with a pork chop shroud. It's out of time and he won't get it fixed. He says he doesn't want to have it registered. He's bought other guns so that does not make sense.
If he thinks gunsmiths register guns they fix, he belongs on the 'Fire! grin
Posted By: Hunt41Ram Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
I have one with the 8-inch barrel I purchased in the early 80's. It is the best shooting revolver I own…and I own several. I only wish I had the money back then to purchase the set with the additional barrels. $1,000 for the set sounds good to me. A great shooting revolver.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by RickyD
If he thinks gunsmiths register guns they fix, he belongs on the 'Fire! grin

Well, I did try to explain to him that the smith has to enter it into his A+D book if he had it over 24 hours, but is not required to do a NICS on the return.
Posted By: deflave Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My dad shot one in silhouette shooting and had no problem hitting rams at 500 meters open sites.

They had 'em 300 meters too far!

Dave
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17

Pile on: Accurate - yes.

Pistol pack as you described - at $1000, you need to get your wallet out. Unless there is a bunch of abuse or excess wear, it's a deal. Each barrel is running between $250-300 on GB, and more on E-bay IMLE.

If it has the case pictured, add another $200 in value. The "vintage" Dan Wessons are pretty heavily sought after, and do well in resale.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17

I have a neighbor buddy that knows a guy that offered him a pistol pak for sale a few years ago, I need to call him and ask how much and if he still has it.

IIRC it was a four barrel set 357 Mag.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Pile on: Accurate - yes.

Pistol pack as you described - at $1000, you need to get your wallet out. Unless there is a bunch of abuse or excess wear, it's a deal. Each barrel is running between $250-300 on GB, and more on E-bay IMLE.

If it has the case pictured, add another $200 in value. The "vintage" Dan Wessons are pretty heavily sought after, and do well in resale.

I agree AH64, would think 1K a bargain for a complete well cared for set.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17
I've got a .44 set I've never bothered with much. I'll get some pics and would be interested in hearing some feedback on it from you guys. Seems to be built well and nice looking for sure
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17

I bought a Dan Wesson .357 6" in 1977. The timing was off on it and when I took it back to the store the guy just traded it for another one. This second one had the same problem.

I took it apart to see what was going on in there and it wasn't hard to see the problem. I could thumb the hammer with the side plate off and see there was slop in a pivot point for the pawl that drives the cylinder. I had no capability to fix the pivot pin but it occurred to me that a piece of metal placed between the pawl and the side cover would keep the pawl aligned and likely eliminate the problem.

I cut a piece of flat feeler gauge and put it in the appropriate place and it worked just dandy. The feeler gauge is captive in there and can't shift enough to cause a problem.

After 40 years it is still there and the timing has not failed since.

I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination but this Rube Goldberg adjustment works just fine.

I'm no hand gun shot either so can't attest to the accuracy.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dan Wesson revolvers - 02/14/17

Was it accuracy, shootability or all in your head?
© 24hourcampfire