Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimy
They made a 4 barrel set in 357 mag, barrels in 2" 4" 6" 8", were these worth a [bleep], accurate, and is $1000:00 dollars a crazy price for one in nice shape?

Dan Wesdon revolvers were noted for their accuracy.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Not all that popular huh?
Only for people who know what they are. Great guns with the best thought out barrel swap mechanics. You don't see the multi-barrel combos much because they are so accurate and flexible that they don't get turned loose for sale much.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I recall that there was a lot of speculation as to why the Dan Wesson revolvers are so accurate.

One theory involved the manner that the barrel is attached to the frame.

The barrel is screwed into the frame and the cylinder gap is established with a feeler gauge between the cylinder and the barrel. Then the barrel shroud is fitted against the frame and held in place by a barrel nut screwed on the end of the barrel.

Doing so puts the barrel in tension. Basically, the barrel is being pulled between the frame and the end of the barrel shroud.

It makes sense.

THIS ^^^

A bud up in Canada had one .357,....it would cosistently outshoot my Python,...we'd swap, and whoever had the DW would best t'other.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 44 VH (made in Monson) with 8" and 6" barrels that I bought in the early to mid 80's.

I like being able to keep a scope mounted on the rib of the 8" and still being able to switch to the 6" with iron sights in just minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wesson_Firearms

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They made a 4 barrel set in 357 mag, barrels in 2" 4" 6" 8", were these worth a [bleep], accurate, and is $1000:00 dollars a crazy price for one in nice shape?

Dont know how accurate they are... but I got a 6" and if it's loaded and I pull the trigger, it goes bang. I can't shoot a pistol worth a darn.

I saw a complete set of these one time. It had 1 frame, 2",4",6",8",10",12" and 15" barrels, with shrouds for each, in a really nice lined case.

I lied... I have no problem shooting a pistol... I just have a problem hitting what I want, with the bullet leaving said pistol.

Last edited by Oldman03; 02/13/17.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I started shooting revolver class in IHMSA with a 7.5" Superblackhawk .44 mag that I had put 2 lb trigger job on. I've always been a fan of the SBH and have had a few.

I shot it well enough, but I couldn't beat the guys shooting the big Dan Wessons. Also, most of them were shooting the Speer 240 grain jacketed bullets that were made just for IHMSA shooting,

I was shooting Elmer's load,..the Lyman 429421 over 22 grains of 2400. I had a lot of fun competing with the big Ruger single action with Elmer's load, but when I switched to the Dan Wesson I immediately became competitive with everybody else who was shooting them,... and I still used Elmer's load.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think CZ is making the Dan Wesson 357 and 1911. I saw both of them at a local gun shop, and had to invoke ultimate soul discipline to walk out of the store without either or both.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I would not sell my Dan Wesson. A 357 with a 4 or 4.5 barrel. Mine says High Standard. but is the model 15. As others have said shoots so well it makes even me look like a good shot.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I started shooting revolver class in IHMSA with a 7.5" Superblackhawk .44 mag that I had put 2 lb trigger job on. I've always been a fan of the SBH and have had a few.

I shot it well enough, but I couldn't beat the guys shooting the big Dan Wessons. Also, most of them were shooting the Speer 240 grain jacketed bullets that were made just for IHMSA shooting,

I was shooting Elmer's load,..the Lyman 429421 over 22 grains of 2400. I had a lot of fun competing with the big Ruger single action with Elmer's load, but when I switched to the Dan Wesson I immediately became competitive with everybody else who was shooting them,... and I still used Elmer's load.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My dad shot one in silhouette shooting and had no problem hitting rams at 500 meters open sites.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't think you'll find one that cheap anyplace else. Not for all 4 barrels.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
miss mine, it was their 22 rimfire on the 357 mag frame. shot very well. and yes i would buy another if i had the cash at time of offering.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
miss mine, it was their 22 rimfire on the 357 mag frame. shot very well. and yes i would buy another if i had the cash at time of offering.
I had one of their 22 verions, too. I bought it for a song and put a hand in it to index the cylinder and it worked great after that. I got nearly 900 for it on Gunbroker after I had it for several years. Mine was a little beat up, too, but had all the pieces including the shims and barrel wretch.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I acquired three new Dan Wesson revolvers in the 1980's. One is a .445 super mag and the other two are .44 mags. All three are very accurate and I also got a variety of extra barrels for them. I fell in love with the shape of the grip because it seemed to transfer recoil into my hand more comfortably than most.

I had them heavily customized with cosmetic treatments from Magna-Port with the intention of making them into heirlooms to pass along to future generations. I took a fair number of deer, elk and pronghorn with the .445. The modular construction was somewhat new back when they were first introduced.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had a bunch of Dan Wesson`s.They were well made and super accurate.For some reason I can`t fathom ,they do not have good resale value.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had an early .357 and the part that appealed to me was the grip tang that allowed for nearly any grip customization.

Never did care for the blast of the .357.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother has one, an old one with a pork chop shroud. It's out of time and he won't get it fixed. He says he doesn't want to have it registered. He's bought other guns so that does not make sense.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
My brother has one, an old one with a pork chop shroud. It's out of time and he won't get it fixed. He says he doesn't want to have it registered. He's bought other guns so that does not make sense.
If he thinks gunsmiths register guns they fix, he belongs on the 'Fire! grin

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have one with the 8-inch barrel I purchased in the early 80's. It is the best shooting revolver I own…and I own several. I only wish I had the money back then to purchase the set with the additional barrels. $1,000 for the set sounds good to me. A great shooting revolver.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Armednfree
If he thinks gunsmiths register guns they fix, he belongs on the 'Fire! grin

Well, I did try to explain to him that the smith has to enter it into his A+D book if he had it over 24 hours, but is not required to do a NICS on the return.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,893
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.