Home
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
I'm usually not a big veggie guy but I do love grilled vegetables. Onions, zucchini, and various colored peppers, with nice grill marks and locked in flavors always make my outdoor cooking plate complete. Does anyone have any methods or advice for cooking vegetables on the grill they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Posted By: dale06 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Toss with a small amount of olive oil, and grill. Asparagus is my favorite.
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
I like to brush portobello mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and then grill them. When done throw on a slice of swiss cheese and let that melt then serve on a toasted bun. As good as a burger. A thick slice of vidalia onion brushed with olive oil and grilled until soft is great on a burger.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Do you guys use foil wrap or a skewer right on the grates? Direct heat or on the non direct heat side?
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Originally Posted by dale06

Same here. My wife brushes them with olive oil, then puts course sea salt on them and pepper, and I grill them. My absolute favorite grilled vegetable.
Posted By: Gansettx Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
I generally use this for mushrooms and green beans.

In a freezer bag add:
Olive Oil
chopped garlic
onion powder
salt & pepper

I lay them out on a broil pan from my toaster oven slide it in my traeger on smoke for a bit then crank up the heat to grill.
Posted By: add Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Starting using one of those flip-over grill baskets a couple years ago.

Better control of the food on the grill surface and no more losing some of it to the coals.
Posted By: tzone Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Asparagus is awfully tough to beat on the grill. I also like zuccuni, and sweet peppers. I'll cut them all into strips or rounds, mix with butter in a foil pack. Or, cut the same way, roll them in a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt of your choice.
Posted By: blacktailbuster Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and some parmesan
Posted By: RickyD Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Asparagus is awfully tough to beat on the grill.
And all the more when wrapped in bacon.
Posted By: tzone Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Do you guys use foil wrap or a skewer right on the grates? Direct heat or on the non direct heat side?

Most of the time I use "grill basket" for the mixture. For asparagus, I'll place a piece of foil on the grill, and put them on there or they fall through the grates.

A skewer would work nice as well.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Just made some vegi kabobs the other day as a side with grilled salmon. I used red onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and eggplant (note eggplant takes a lot longer to cook than the other vegis) I brushed them with olive oil and then sprinkled on some salt, fresh ground black pepper and some Costco salt free seasoning. I started them ~10 minutes before the salmon and would rotate them every 4-5 min on the grill. I'm not a huge vegi fan, but they came out great.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
This is going to sound silly but a couple years ago I screwed up and accidentally bought too many bell pepper plants.

68 of them to be exact. blush

I had to get creative on what to do with all the green peppers so I started slicing them into little canoe shaped pcs and marinaded them in sweet baby rays bbq sauce and then grilled them over charcoal.

They turn out delicious.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
I slice zucchini length wise toss in a bag with olive oil and a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herbs spice. I use direct medium high heat and place them directly on the hot grates, flipping once. My favorite is roasted red peppers. Place them whole on a hot grill until they're just about all black. Remove them and let them cool. Peel off the black outer skin, open them and clean out the seeds. Place in a bowl or jar with enough olive oil to cover and stir in a generous amount of fresh diced garlic and let it set overnight. Delicious!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Chunky bacon with tiny Brussels sprouts. Really chunky home made bacon and lots of it is best. Slice the sprouts in half. Generously add ground pepper and enough olive oil to coat it all well. Cook in a basket over a lot of heat until the sprouts start to char. I would have bet money sprouts couldn't taste this good.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17

Going to try grilling some cabbage either this evening or tomorrow. A friend recommended it and it sounded really good and quick and easy to make too so I thought I'd give it a go. Head of cabbage sliced into wedges, salt, lemon pepper (and/or pretty much any other seasonings you like), add some butter on each wedge, wrap each up in heavy duty foil or a couple of layers regular foil, grill for around 30 (+/-) minutes at med to med high heat.

Posted By: SandBilly Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Originally Posted by joken2

Going to try grilling some cabbage either this evening or tomorrow. A friend recommended it and it sounded really good and quick and easy to make too so I thought I'd give it a go. Head of cabbage sliced into wedges, salt, lemon pepper (and/or pretty much any other seasonings you like), add some butter on each wedge, wrap each up in heavy duty foil or a couple of layers regular foil, grill for around 30 (+/-) minutes at med to med high heat.

Make it like that all the time except I use Lawry's instead of table salt. You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
All my vegetables fall though the grill except for the potatoes. That just leaves meat, potatoes and rolls. Man food.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Squash and Zucini, cut lengthwise, asparagus, bell peppers, a little olive oil, salt, pepper
grilled a few minutes in a grill basket.
Good eats
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
Stick thin bamboo or metal skewers through your onion slices to keep them from coming apart. Wire baskets are great, also.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/08/17
I lay a small handful of rosemary leaves on the coals just before putting my veggies on, brings an amazing taste to them. If using gas I lay them between rows of the veggies.

Some skewer foods onto the rosemary branches, but it is lot of work and the rosemary flavor becomes overwhelming.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
We grill vegetables often.Had broccoli last night. With it we season with lemon pepper and sprinkle with olive oil and wrap in foil 20 minutes time on gas grill. Eggplant or Zuccinni brushed with olive oil and seasoned with garlic powder and pepper and grilled till tender then tossed in a bowl with some parmesan cheese is good. Eggplant has to be watched closely though
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
as the wag said: vegetables are what my food eats. smile
Posted By: szihn Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Here is one I do with cabbage.

Take along piece of foil and roll it into a "rope" and then twist it into a ring. This will hold the head of cabbage upside down.
Now, core the cabbage and set it in the ring with the cavity up.
Fry some bacon and break it into bits. Mix it with chopped onion. Stuff the cavity and drizzle the bacon grease in, over the mix

Set this all on the grill with an indirect fire of medium heat and put wet hickory chips on the fire and cover the grill. You want a good amount of smoke in the first 5 minutes. Let it cook for 45 minutes.

Really good stuff
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Maybe so, but I will bet you cook some amazing vegetable dishes ! wink
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
I forgot the corn it stays on the grill an is awesome,
Posted By: RickyD Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
All my vegetables fall though the grill except for the potatoes. That just leaves meat, potatoes and rolls. Man food.

Take about 3 stalks of aspargus, drizzle or dredge in olive oil, sprinkle with onion and garlic powder and pepper to taste, wrap in a trimmed piece of raw thin sliced bacon and secure with toothpicks. Grill on high or hot coals for about 15 minutes. It's amazing.

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/vegetables/bacon-wrapped-asparagus

Reference this link for more good bbq veggy recipes and for great meat dishes, too, of course.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
grill them in anything but olive oil,nasty tasting stuff.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
First thing comes to mind on topic of grilled vegetables would be Hillary or Pelosi on a spit and distribution in a starving land. Libya comes to mind, mebbe Syria.

Sorry, not trying to put an unsavory spin on the thread, just being honest.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Never ever forget the fruit course. Especially in KOMMIEFORNIA.😜

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Originally Posted by srwshooter
grill them in anything but olive oil,nasty tasting stuff.

That date on the bottle is when you're supposed to STOP using it, not when you START using it grin
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

NFDA approved diet. ;-{>8
Posted By: Jacques_La_Rami Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/09/17
I heard all the Mexicans quit having barbeques 'cause the beans always fell through the grate?
Posted By: Pugs Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/10/17
Originally Posted by RickyD
Asparagus is awfully tough to beat on the grill.
And all the more when wrapped in bacon.

Good with Bacon, better with Prosciutto. grin It's a bit thinner and crisps up better without over cooking the spears or the flare ups.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/10/17
Originally Posted by dale06

Or a little butter.

I love the grilled asparagus and steak combo.

In fact that was supper tonight.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/10/17
Beef makes everything better Sam.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/10/17
Eat a hamburger patty everyday for lunch!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Grilled Vegatables - 06/10/17
I LOVE grilled corn & squash with a medium rare Black Angus fillet. It don't get no better in my book! Throw in some grilled mushrooms and I'm in Heaven!
© 24hourcampfire