Home
Does anyone know the distance?
About 400 yards.
Yes. About 400.

Shooter was about 100yds above the earth.

Dave
chip shot for what he was doing.
Ok, thanks. I needed a little perspective. If my geometry is correct that would be about 412 yards line of sight.
Yep. Give or take.

Dave
I don't want to be morbid but I'm guessing he wan't sighted in for that range with all those rifles. My thinking is he was just spraying.

I don't think I'll say any more.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I don't want to be morbid but I'm guessing he wan't sighted in for that range with all those rifles. My thinking is he was just spraying.

I don't think I'll say any more.

Just because he was spraying, doesn't mean he didn't know how to sight in a rifle. Do not presume that because someone is evil they are necessarily stupid.
I'm not thinking he didn't know how to sight in nor that he is stupid. Like most others I am just struggling with the whole scenario.
Toltecgriz: I saw a professional looking diagram today that showed the distance being 1,100' from the murderers window to the first of the people in the crowd.
A crowd of 22,000 people, sadly, is a big target.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That is a big (huuuuuge) target...but even so, hitting an average of 51.5 people per minute and sustaining that average across almost ten minutes?....(and however often he was hitting the same person 3, 4, 5, times isn't accounted for in that number.) I'd say that squirrel wasn't entirely blind...
remember guys it was night. if he was sighting it was at movement . lot of spraying i would expect unless he had nightvision scope.
The guy hit fuel tanks 700 yards away. He was spraying bullets all over hell
Seems like he was just hosing down an area target doing the bump-fire thing.

Thought I saw a Bushnell holosight on one of the ARs.

Shooting down at about a 40 degree angle 400 yards away into 22,000 people into a area the size in front of that stage, it is going to be about like first reports said "shooting fish in a barrel." \

Yes, thanks, 15 is much closer to correct.
I'd think is downward angle would be closer to 15 degrees. He was about 100 yards up, shooting about 400 yards distant.
A lot of those victims were being hit with ricochets, pass throughs, and fragments,also.

Fish in a barrel is a pretty good description, too, at least at the beginning.
Looking on GoogleEarth it does not look like 400 yds except to most distant area. It appears much of the area is much closer than 400.
FWIW.
I was measuring it on google maps. I got 353 yards from the shooters corner of the hotel, to the front center of the stage. Looks like the crowd could go back another 150-200 yards or so.
© 24hourcampfire