Home
Posted By: jmh3 Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Any recommendations for a good small batch bourbon? I want to try something different and there are a bunch to choose from these days. Say in the $100 range or less.
Posted By: fester Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
😜 here we go!

My vote is for 101.
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Blantons
Posted By: Full3r Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
2nds on Blantons. Bulliet is good but a lot depends on taste.
Posted By: jmh3 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
I like Blantons. Something similar?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
I'm not a Bourbon enthusiast even though I can see Bourbon county from my yard. Booker Noe (Grandson of Jim Beam and a lifelong master distiller) had his preference for many years. His came from the center cut of the 5th floor.

It's now known as "Booker's"

It was the personal favorite of the man who devoted his life to making Bourbon. It must be pretty good.

I sent a fifth of it to Afghanistan with a Canadian Army Captain who was visiting and preparing for his deployment. I told him to share it with some special friends when he got over there. It was a big hit.

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/gear/...e-number-one-bourbon-world/#.WfYhWiMrJhA
Uncut,...straight from the barrel.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/bookers-25th-anniversary-quotes/
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Old Crow.

KA KAAAAWW!!!!!!!!
Quote #18 from Booker Noe.

“If you are not completely satisfied with Booker’s Bourbon, send back the unused portion and we’ll drink it!”
Rising creek reserve is a good smooth bourbon, and a favorite when I can find it.
Knob creek is my daily bourbon of choice. Good flavor at a decent price.
Special occasions call for Bookers.
Posted By: trplem Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
It's been a while since I've gone full-on Steve Dallas with the bourbon drinking, but here goes. Everyone saying Booker's, yup, got it in one. As a bonus, Mr. Noe was a real gentleman on the occasion I met him at a grocery store appearance a few years back. When it comes to walking around whiskey, though, I'd say Evan Williams Single Barrel is a superb value. A bottle purchased for the princely sum of $14 including tax last week is living in my liqour cabinet right now.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
A couple weeks ago a fine gentleman by the name of Rancho was kind enough to bring this up from the big city.

Sadly it will be all gone here in a minute or two.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Breckenridge, from Colorado.
The best.
Posted By: hanco Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Monte Bean. Smooth!!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Originally Posted by fester
😜 here we go!

My vote is for 101.

Yep......you can but a lot of 101 for $100.

I buy Elija Craig or various Rye's once in a while for something different but not because they're better.

WT 101's good enough for my common man tastes..
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
😜 here we go!

My vote is for 101.

Yep......you can but a lot of 101 for $100.

I buy Elija Craig or various Rye's once in a while for something different but not because they're better.

WT 101's good enough for my common man tastes..

I don’t disagree, just looking for something new to try. I always like to have a good bottle of bourbon and good bottle of scotch around for the holidays.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Basil Hayden
Here is a curve ball.....

Jameson, over ice, let it chill and melt.

Enjoy.
I don't recall enjoying/trying Elijah Craig......

I will give it a shot.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
I can only advise one to avoid

[Linked Image]

Not bad, but the flavors are muted. To me a bourbon should stand on it's own served neat, sipped and the flavors are distinct but not overpowering.

Charlie, I wanted to like Bulleit Rye but it was too spicy for me. Don't get me wrong that bottle also only lasted about 2 weeks but the regular version is better.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Charlie, I wanted to like Bulleit Rye but it was too spicy for me. Don't get me wrong that bottle also only lasted about 2 weeks but the regular version is better.

My experience as well, Bulleit bourbon doesn't disappoint, the rye is meh.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Cedar ridge is a staple in our house. Depending on where you are it can be hard to get. It’s small batch and a family operation in the heart of corn country. Larceny is another good choice for sub 30 buck a bottle.
I personally, hate bourbon, of any kind except 101.

Irish and Canadian whiskey for me. And vodka.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Bakers, Eagle Rare, Four Roses small batch or single barrel

All with change back from a hundo.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Garrison Bros. Best danged sipping' bourbon you'll ever try. Truly in a class of its own.
I take my posts back. I enjoyed a snort of jack single barrel last weekend.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Originally Posted by jmh3
Any recommendations for a good small batch bourbon? I want to try something different and there are a bunch to choose from these days. Say in the $100 range or less.

the Four Roses small batch Bourbon fits the bill.
Posted By: kecatt Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
This is my choice:
http://heavenhilldistillery.com/henry-mckenna-single-barrel.php
around here it's around $30/750ml.
A close second for me is Eagle Rare.

I also like Henry Mckenna table whiskey for mixing. Around here it's $15/750ml.
Of those mentioned I’ve tried Four Roses, Blantons, Bookers, Bulliet, and 101. Based on those recommendations I’m looking forward to trying the others.

I forgot about Old Crow. I thought getting stupid drunk on Crow and yelling KAA KAAHH was a Central PA hunting camp thing from back in the 80’s and 90’s. There used to be a run on the chit the weekend before bear season.
Posted By: K22 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Blanton's, 1792, and Larceny, in that order. But as was mentioned above, Jamison for the win.
Jamison is not for the win, it is not a bourbon. Larceny is good but oaky. Four Roses, Beam Black label and 101 is my considerable favorites (I'm not super pretentious). Four Roses, Booker's, Russell's Reserve, Eagles Rare, Woodford Reserve all have had my interest, although some no longer do. Due to changing tastes.

KC
Jim Beam Black label is good......
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17

JTS Brown....no glass ...no ice.

Or if I am feeling rich.... Old Granddad , bottled in bond. 100 P

I only drink it in small batches.
God Love Ya

KC
A couple weeks ago a fine gentleman by the name of Rancho was kind enough to bring this up from the big city.

Sadly it will be all gone here in a minute or two.....

[Linked Image]

Sam - you drink too much! That bottle is nearly full! smile
Posted By: lostleader Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Other than Bookers the more the in the mash, usually the better, for my tastes. I just received a bottle of Russel Reserve that is very interesting...heavy oak tones.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/29/17
Eagle rare and evan williams single barrel. Turkey 101 is good as well. Really no need for anything other than those 3
I've drank a lot of whiskeys and to tell you the truth, no small batch I've drank has been worth the money. I'd give Bulleit an edge over Turkey but actually when the money is factored in, I just get Turkey. The difference in moolah is not that great but the difference in taste is even less so. Cross and I both drank Rebecca Creek when Trump won. It's some good stuff and probably better than either, not extremely high-dollar but around here, more so than Bulleit or Turkey. Harder to find too. I also can't get over the thought that Rebecca is just McKendrick (probably the best whiskey I've ever had and about the price of Turkey) re-named. Were I you, I'd get some Rebecca Creek. Don't know if it's small batch or not.
Woodford Reserve, Russell Reserve and Four Roses are not worth the money in the least. Evan Williams and Jameson suck serious ass. I realize some of these are not even Bourbons but they've been brought up. If you've got an ex-old lady you despise, get her some Irish whiskey. Either Jameson's or Tillamore Dew. If she can stomach the taste of the [bleep] she'll be barfing all the next day.

Henry McKenna and George Dickel are both good whiskeys. They just aren't any better than Turkey.
Mark, that was 2 week ago...

It's empty now!

Bottle of Ketel One in the freezer, couple shots of Patron left on the counter. And wine, my wife sometimes drinks wine.....

Drink list for roundup next week looks like this.....30 pack Coors Light, 30 pack Miller Lite, fifth of Jim Beam Black and a lightweight plastic fifth or two of schnapps.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
None. That stuff is nasty.
Aw, hell, this stuff is probably more subjective than optics. Is there a small batch bourbon with a Gold Ring on the bottle? That'd make it easy. laugh

I personally favor Knob Creek and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I didn't care for Four Roses or Becky. Booker's, Baker's, & Bail Hayden's were OK, but I never bought a 2nd bottle. I've been meaning to try a snort of Henry McKenna based on the recommendations here, but haven't gotten it done.

Then again, I top rifles with Vortexes and Conquests, so what do I know? Why, for such a breach of etiquette, Mickey Coleman would've called me, an "Uncircumcised Philistine!"

Anyhow, drink whatcha like. We're all gonna make fun of you, regardless. grin

FC
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

Bottle of Ketel One in the freezer, .

Now ya talkin',....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Old Granddad.

Its probably worth 100 bucks in Alaska.....so there ya go.
Honey bourbon chicken
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Of those mentioned I’ve tried Four Roses, Blantons, Bookers, Bulliet, and 101. Based on those recommendations I’m looking forward to trying the others.

I forgot about Old Crow. I thought getting stupid drunk on Crow and yelling KAA KAAHH was a Central PA hunting camp thing from back in the 80’s and 90’s. There used to be a run on the chit the weekend before bear season.

Lol. Stupid drunk knows no geographical boundaries.

Old Crow reserve is actually pretty damn good.
Russell Reserve Single Barrel 10 yr old is much better than the small batch and you should get two bottles for a $100. Since I work for Buffalo Trace, consider Eagle Rare 10 which is only $34 bucks a bottle. Not many 10 yr old Bourbons can be had these days for less than $50.

The more I am around Bourbon the more surprises I find. Sometimes Ancient Age is perfect, other times I want more body and flavor. I used to enjoy Weller Reserve, these days I find Buffalo Trace is better.

Have Fun!
Mark, that was 2 week ago...

It's empty now!

Bottle of Ketel One in the freezer, couple shots of Patron left on the counter. And wine, my wife sometimes drinks wine.....

Drink list for roundup next week looks like this.....30 pack Coors Light, 30 pack Miller Lite, fifth of Jim Beam Black and a lightweight plastic fifth or two of schnapps.

Just chain-jerkin' smile

Here, it's Coors Original!
I don't do bourbon - but, like a small shot of Slivovitz, now and then!

(Think diesel engine degreaser and paint remover!)
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
I've been sampling a few different less than $50 a bottle bourbons lately, my current test bottle is Old Forester 1870 Original Batch. I like it. A bottle is headed to hunting camp with me end of this week.

Tried the Hudson Four Grain Bourbon - good, but not really worth the price IMO
Four Roses Small Batch was good, will buy again.
Tried some Bulleit back in the spring - will likely buy it again.
Usually have a bottle of Woodford Reserve around.
I buy Knob Creek now and then, but really prefer the Woodford Reserve over it.
About all I use Makers Mark for these days is in marinades.
My brother's favorite is Jim Beam Straight Bourbon

And I've wandered away from small batch bourbons. Guess I need a drink.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Mobil 1.
PARKER’S HERITAGE COLLECTION
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Many good recommendations above, but I will throw another vote to Eagle Rare as my favorite for reasonable money.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Blantons and Bookers are my two reasonably priced favorites....also the WT101.

5 years ago I bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill for $37. It was the best i ever had....covered all the bases. I went back to buy another bottle when that one ran out.....sold out. I checked in every so often.....nothing.

I walked into a liquor store in Fulton, MD. Off the cuff I asked if they had any Black Maple Hill. The guy said Yes, but they sold the one bottle the day before. The clerk showed me its position on the shelf. I almost fell over when i saw the price..... $463!! Wtf!

The clerk said he had a similar experience with Pappy....supply and demand.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
I like Basil Hayden.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

A barrel?

Damn, never paid $100 for a bottle. I drink Gentleman Jack at $40 a bottle or less.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
The OP was asking about Bourbon.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
I have never equated price to being good when it comes to bourbon. Hell some of the high end stuff is great some is crap. I would take any all recommendations. Then work you way up from low to high price and see what you like. I have yet find a bourbon over about 50 bucks a bottle that would make it on to my have to buy list. Eagle Rare for around 35 bucks a bottle is one of favorites. Bulliet and knob creek not far behind.
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Old Granddad.

Its probably worth 100 bucks in Alaska.....so there ya go.

Shiiitt...R&R (or JB) go for $150 (or more) in many places. (Since much of Alaska, geographically, is dry.) I doubt anyone would pay extra for better stuff.
Originally Posted by mathman

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...
lmao

Jameson is damned good when you pour some in one of the Jameson glasses. Then pour it down the sink, be sure to rinse the glass, and pour some Turkey in it. Then drink it straight.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Try a bottle of Ezra Brooks sometime... it is on the low end of the price scale, but a completely acceptable bourbon IMHO.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
IUsually have a bottle of Woodford Reserve around.
I buy Knob Creek now and then, but really prefer the Woodford Reserve over it.

I never cared for Woodford 'til I did their distillery tour. Now I like it almost as much as Knob Creek. I liked it well enough to take across the pond last year, and it was well received by the indigenous Alps-dwellers.

FC
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Evan Williams 1783 Bourbon is worth a try.
Posted By: K22 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Try a bottle of Ezra Brooks sometime... it is on the low end of the price scale, but a completely acceptable bourbon IMHO.

Very acceptable indeed.
Posted By: jmh3 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Except for camp, vacation, or if company comes over, I have (at most), one drink a night. There are enough recommendations here to keep me busy until this time next year.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Basil Hayden is good.. four roses pretty good as well.. I need to get my hands on some buffaloe trace.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Buffalo Trace is overrated.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Probably so but still have to give it a try.. I have some Maker’s mark that been sitting here at my place for 9 months I can’t drink it lol..
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Buffalo Trace definitely overrated. Woodford Reserve is my go to.

Yep......
Posted By: hanco Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
You can’t beat Blackjack with a little water. I used to like it with coke,but it’s to sweet now for my taste.

Yep......

I don't care for it, either. It just doesn't sit well with my palette, at all.

However, if they'd have let me pick my own bottle during the tour, there was one vat in the bottling room whose aroma damn near brought me to my knees, and I'd have gladly filled up from that one. Then again, it might have just smelled good to me, then still been harsh on my mouth like the rest.

I don't begrudge those who like it, but it aint for me.

FC
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by 79S
Basil Hayden is good.. four roses pretty good as well.. I need to get my hands on some buffaloe trace.

Costco had Bail Hayden on sale so I picked some up to give it a try. Am enjoying this thread as I have a few more bourbons to add to my list to try, and some to avoid.

There is something therapeutic about pouring a couple of fingers of a decent brandy neat, sipping it and enjoying a sunset, warm fire and or a good book.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Yep......

I don't care for it, either. It just doesn't sit well with my palette, at all.

However, if they'd have let me pick my own bottle during the tour, there was one vat in the bottling room whose aroma damn near brought me to my knees, and I'd have gladly filled up from that one. Then again, it might have just smelled good to me, then still been harsh on my mouth like the rest.

I don't begrudge those who like it, but it aint for me.

FC

How does it sit with your palate?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Jefferson's Very Small Batch is always my first choice these days, but I also keep a bottle of Knob Creek at hand too.

Even worse! laugh

FC
Posted By: acy Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Anaconda
The best.

I'll second this. Very smooth. Best I've ever tried.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Even worse! laugh

FC

grin

Yep......

It is about the only one from that distillery that I don't like. Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Van Winkle, Elmer T. Lee, William Larue, Weller 12 yr, Weller 107 are all my favorites from there.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

I like the Breckenridge, and have found straight Pendleton to be as smooth. I'm trying a Pendleton Midnight that is good as well
Originally Posted by AH64guy

I like the Breckenridge, and have found straight Pendleton to be as smooth. I'm trying a Pendleton Midnight that is good as well

Pendleton isn't Bourbon.
Posted By: Stevepoz Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
I like the Buffalo Trace family. Big fan of EH Taylor and Elmer T Lee. Like the antique collection but hard to find.
Posted By: jmh3 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
The wife, daughter and employees are always complaining that I'm hard to buy Christmas presents for. I'm sending them a link to this thread.
Posted By: JPro Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
On the cheap, I recently bought some Evan Williams "white label" Bottled In Bond 100 proof. Not bad at all neat, especially for the price (under $15 I think). I keep the regular EV stuff at the camp in 1.75L bottles for whoever might want to mix something, but this variety is a fair bit better.
Posted By: fester Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...
lmao

Jameson is damned good when you pour some in one of the Jameson glasses. Then pour it down the sink, be sure to rinse the glass, and pour some Turkey in it. Then drink it straight.

Tff! Cheers fellas!
Posted By: longarm Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Rgramjet

5 years ago I bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill for $37. It was the best i ever had....covered all the bases. I went back to buy another bottle when that one ran out.....sold out. I checked in every so often.....nothing.

I walked into a liquor store in Fulton, MD. Off the cuff I asked if they had any Black Maple Hill. The guy said Yes, but they sold the one bottle the day before. The clerk showed me its position on the shelf. I almost fell over when i saw the price..... $463!! Wtf!

Here ya go. Get yourself a lil birthday present..
https://www.flaskfinewines.com/spir...-oQJ2p5yq7tA30h0HXpLYqSyNrMaAv6AEALw_wcB
Originally Posted by longarm

Or get on the waiting list here. https://www.klwines.com/Products/i?i=1057875
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
After a quart it won't make any difference!
Posted By: blanket Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...

someone must have being celebrating a first BJ, washing the taste out of his mouth
Posted By: fester Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by blanket

Enjoy.

Pffffuk ...

someone must have being celebrating a first BJ, washing the taste out of his mouth

Clever!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17

Yep......

Agree.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
Ranger Creek Rimfire. Single malt mesquite smoked out of San Antonio. Very good stuff.

The .36 bourbon and the .44 Cal Rye are good, but the Rimfire is something special. Haven't had the .36 single barrel yet, but I'm guessing its good. All are roughly $35 for a 375 mL bottle.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by longarm

Thats just crazy talk! Id pay $125.
I had a bourbon party at my house last winter. Everyone brought a different bottle and we had a high time tasting different bourbons. The most interesting thing to me was that after tasting a bunch side by side, some that I thought I liked, wont make my top 10 list anymore.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Yep......

Agree.

Nothing that's 23 bucks a bottle can be called "overrated". You get what you pay for and in this instance, it's not much. That said, I happen to like it for an inexpensive, every day bourbon. Same goes for Wild Turkey 101. At 21 bucks/bottle, it is VERY UNDERRATED.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
still my favorite > Jack Daniels on the rocks splash of water
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Yep......

Agree.

Nothing that's 23 bucks a bottle can be called "overrated". You get what you pay for and in this instance, it's not much. That said, I happen to like it for an inexpensive, every day bourbon. Same goes for Wild Turkey 101. At 21 bucks/bottle, it is VERY UNDERRATED.

To me that's the price range of Knob Creek bourbon when it's on sale, which I quite enjoy.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
I found 6 bottles of Black Maple Hill online! At a liquor store 5 miles from me...... $97 each!

[Insert my luck]

Last 3 bottles sold a few days ago.

My search continues.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 10/31/17
For those wanting to try a good, expensive, special, craft bourbon, give Hillrock Estate Solera Aged Bourbon a try. It's way better than Hudson Baby Bourbon, which is decent, but too young and not fully developed. This Hillrock Bourbon is the only craft bourbon that I have actually liked. It's expensive at around $100 a bottle but offers something pleasant for the money.

For readily available good bourbon, I favor Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch but find something to enjoy in most of the bourbons already mentioned. Some days I want a sweeter wheater bourbon and sometimes I want a spicier high rye bourbon.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
$100? Damn!

I'd go with three bottles of Eagle Rare or Henry McKenna 10-yr (single-barrel bonded at $30/bottle).

But for the love of God.....if you're in a liquor store this time of year, ASK for Weller 12-yr. I've scored three 1.75 ltr bottles in the last 2 weeks. Should last me until they release it again. Very hard to find...and they don't put it on the shelves here....you have to ask. You won't be disappointed if you can find it.

Lots of good bourbons out there.
Posted By: blanket Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Cedar Ridge is a bargain,
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by 257heaven
But for the love of God.....if you're in a liquor store this time of year, ASK for Weller 12-yr. I've scored three 1.75 ltr bottles in the last 2 weeks. Should last me until they release it again. Very hard to find...and they don't put it on the shelves here....you have to ask. You won't be disappointed if you can find it.

Weller 12 used to be under the radar, but no more. Many years ago, before the premium brown spirits boom, I was drinking the Antique 107 when it was still seven years old in this package:

[Linked Image]

One of the few times I was ahead of the curve. grin
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

Weller 12 used to be under the radar, but no more. Many years ago, before the premium brown spirits boom, I was drinking the Antique 107 when it was still seven years old in this package:

[Linked Image]

I really want the bourbon craze to be over. I don't need Pappy...just let Weller 12 and/or Weller 107 Antigue to be readily available again. I really miss those days. I can scrounge up 107 occasionally, but the 12 year is just about as rare as Pappy.
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck

[Linked Image]

I really want the bourbon craze to be over. I don't need Pappy...just let Weller 12 and/or Weller 107 Antigue to be readily available again. I really miss those days. I can scrounge up 107 occasionally, but the 12 year is just about as rare as Pappy.

If there weren't so many Johnny come lately's prices wouldn't be so high and availability so low. Sometimes I really despise change and trends.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
I found 6 bottles of Black Maple Hill online! At a liquor store 5 miles from me...... $97 each!

[Insert my luck]

Last 3 bottles sold a few days ago.

My search continues.

At $97 a bottle you stode them. But, you probably already know that.
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck

[Linked Image]

If there weren't so many Johnny come lately's prices wouldn't be so high and availability so low. Sometimes I really despise change and trends.

Tell that to the Japanese.

And I agree on the Weller 12..

Yep......

Agree.

I'll drink Wild Turkey 101 any time. The Buffalo Trace is ok. I don't seek it out. Have a 1.75 I got as a gift I get into now and again. Bulleit is more expensive. But, I prefer it over the BT.

Scored a bottle of one of my favorites last night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Had a couple splashes of Bulleit Bourbon tonight at my nephews. All the cousins and family went there to watch the game and kids go trick or treating. First time and it wasn’t half bad with a couple drips of h2o. I’m a Whisky slut so that’s not saying much. I’ll probably will not buy it myself but won’t turn it down either.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

Yep......

Agree.

Price has nothing to do with my opinion of Buffalo Trace.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by pete53

You do realize that ice is made from water right......

On second thought....never mind.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

You do realize that ice is made from water right......

On second thought....never mind.

Ya did your best.....logic and the truth only go so far ......
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

[Linked Image]

Oh yea! I'm stocked up on the 107. Love it.

[Linked Image]

Oh yea! I'm stocked up on the 107. Love it.

If it's the old version where they were still aging it seven years then you're a lucky man.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

Yep......

Agree.

That's what has always been funny about you. You think money spent equates quality. Seeing the shiet you use, you don't have a clue about much.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

Yep......

Agree.

That's what has always been funny about you. You think money spent equates quality. Seeing the shiet you use, you don't have a clue about much.

I can see where your background and where you've wound up just makes you bitter. Most buttholes are made given their experiences in life, you however, came out the perfectasshole right out of the chute. That said, my thoughts were the exact opposite, or what part about I drink 101 frequently and find it a most excellent bourbon (and very expensive whiskys like Johnny Walker Blue for example are simply horrible) did you not get? But YES, often-times price does equate to quality, to those that are fortunate or intelligent enough to seek out and discern the difference. You obviously missed that boat-on both counts. That's rich about the 'shiet I use.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
It is all just a matter of taste...
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

And some have poor, and some have none. grin
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17

JD for 60 years. Higher priced stuff is great but not worth the money. Sucker bait.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
EZRA BROOKS...... AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE!!!!!!

Take care, Willie
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

And some have poor, and some have none. grin

Well said.
Posted By: hatari Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
It always amazes to watch people play this "mines great, yours sucks" game, be it bourbon, wine, beer or most anything else.

I annually sit as a judge for the VinoChallenge International. The competition evaluates 1500+ wines from all over the world. The makers and brokers submit the wines in hopes of earning a "medal" to use as recognition of their quality. The judges are wine makers, people in the wine and spirits industry, and invited others. These are by and large knowledgable people with discerning palates. We sit in groups of 5-7 judges per table, and we evaluate wines in flights of 6. We are urged to judge their merits and awards bronze, silver, gold, or a rare double gold if and as the wines merit.

This alway brings a point of disagreement among the judges. One camp if firmly in the "a great wine stands on its own regardless of its price". I am in the other camp that says "My expectations for a $100 bottle wine are far different from a $10 bottle of wine". I want to know the price point, and some other s don't. If we are tasting $8 Italian Pinot Gris, and I find one that I'd gladly have another glass, then it rates a medal. If I'd seek it out and buy it myself, then that's silver. If I'd want a case, then that's gold for sure. On the other hand, if we are doing classified growth Bordeaux, I expect I'd enjoy most each and every one of them down to the last drop. To get a medal, they better sit either as a classic example of the style, and/or shine above the others.

I was judging just 3 weeks ago, and one guy on our panel would not award a medal to anything. On an 10 point scale, he was giving 4s and 5s. Criteria for a medal starts at 7. Nothing impressed him. So to make conversation, I asked him what he'd had recently that liked. He proceeds to pull out his phone and show me pictures of labels he's been tasting and it is a Hall of Fame of the best wines in the world. Cheval Blanc, Opus One, Penfolds Grange, LaTour, and a dozen others that mere mortals can never afford or would ever choose to drop hundreds of dollars retail on. I flatly told him that if that's his standard, no wine that we were judging would ever measure up to that. He kind of shrugged, but did loosen up his criteria after that.

People can be label snobs about things other than food and drink. I was getting into the audiophile scene back in the 1980s, and that bunch hung on every word from Julian Hirsch in his magazine reviews. He'd tests amps and speakers and turntable cartridges (yeah, going way back) and record his electronic measurements and readings and then rate the equipment. Audiophiles are as snobby as wine people when it comes to labels. As the snobbery seemed to be getting out of hand, Hirsch wrote an article that basically said while looking at the numbers is useful and fun, it's all about how it sounds to you in your living room. If it sounds good, then it is good. Period.

That goes for bourbon, scotch, wine or anything like it. If it tastes good to you, it is good - for you. I like blondes and you dig redheads? More power to you. Doesn't make you wrong, just leaves more blondes for me.

Blind tests are the best. You don't know what's what and can let your taste buds do the talking without prejudice.

There is no big skill in finding a good $100 bottle of Napa Cab or single barrel bourbon. The treasure is finding the $20 bottle that floats your boat. They are out there, and what you find as great, someone else might not like. So be it. You snobs need to get off your high horse and believe it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Good post, Jeff, since we were/are on the subject of bourbon, your "expectations" POV is exactly the way I approach it. I EXPECT a 100 dollar bottle of whisky to deliver, but I love it when I'm surprised by a twenty dollar bottle meets or exceeds expectations, otherwise, I would not have discovered good bourbons (like Wild Turkey 101 for instance or Buffalo Trace which I also like and it's fairly inexpensive.
I call it square. If it's good I call it good. I'm impressed by flavor, not the label. If it's inexpensive and good that's even better.
I was talking to a bourbon collector a while back that had, if I recall, 500 bottles in his collection. I asked him what his favorite one was and he answered Wild Turkey 101.
I think the mines great yours sucks game is silly, but I don't discount the value of others input and grading. I don't mind trying a few different options to clarify to my palate what I prefer.

Whether we're talking say $25-40 bottles, $50-100 or whatever range, I do see a value in narrowing the search down. I try and simplify my search by making three broad categories for a given range, quite nice (will buy it again), meh (take it or leave it), blah (I regret buying it). I don't expect a $25 bottle to drink like a $100 bottle, but I do expect every $100 bottle to make me say wow. The reality is not every $100 bottle is going to trip my trigger and I'd rather not spend $100 to find that out.

What it comes down to for me is finding something that will stand on it's own two or three fingers served neat and sipped. I don't mind drinking an affordable bourbon, but I don't expect to have to drink something that has to be adulterated to make it drinkable. I'm looking for flavors that are distinct and balanced, and there is a bit of bite without being harsh. Quite nice on my scale achieves that balance, meh has muted flavors, blah is unbalanced or harsh. I will gladly accept others input to avoid sampling the blah's, as well as trying to find another quite nice option.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I was talking to a bourbon collector a while back that had, if I recall, 500 bottles in his collection. I asked him what his favorite one was and he answered Wild Turkey 101.

I prefer the input of a bourbon drinker to a bourbon collector.
It's always funny to me how these kinds of threads will start out as fun and somewhere down the road turn into a bashing. Never ceases to amaze me. Personally, I find it interesting hearing other people's opinions on something I also enjoy. I'll often get a hmmm, maybe I'll try that kind of thought.

There's never anything wrong with liking a particular brand of Bourbon, or Scotch, or rifle. How some people find a way to turn the fun into a bashing is beyond me.

To toss in a little funny, one of my ex-gf's had a fondness for Wild Turkey 101. She was a dive instructor, horse lover, and outdoors person. I never had a problem picking up a bottle on the way over. It somehow made her... energetic. smile
Posted By: KFWA Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
saw someone mention Van Winkle.

Had a chance to taste it when a guy I work with broke open a bottle of it to celebrate his birthday.

I'm not a bourbon guy. Just feels like when I drink its eating away my stomach lining, but people that were with us raved about it.

The wife has 2 more trips to finish out her Kentucky Bourbon trail. Her and her crowd are fans of Buffalo Trace variations. I have a bottle of Eagle Rare on the shelf collecting dust and a Wild Turkey Honey that we nip on for special occasions.

I used to live just a couple of miles from the Wild Turkey distillery. You could smell it in the mornings. That was nice.

Then I moved to Frankfort down the road from the Ancient Age distillery. That smell was horrible. It was like waking up in a frat house every morning after the party.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hatari
It always amazes to watch people play this "mines great, yours sucks" game, be it bourbon, wine, beer or most anything else.

I annually sit as a judge for the VinoChallenge International. The competition evaluates 1500+ wines from all over the world. The makers and brokers submit the wines in hopes of earning a "medal" to use as recognition of their quality. The judges are wine makers, people in the wine and spirits industry, and invited others. These are by and large knowledgable people with discerning palates. We sit in groups of 5-7 judges per table, and we evaluate wines in flights of 6. We are urged to judge their merits and awards bronze, silver, gold, or a rare double gold if and as the wines merit.

This alway brings a point of disagreement among the judges. One camp if firmly in the "a great wine stands on its own regardless of its price". I am in the other camp that says "My expectations for a $100 bottle wine are far different from a $10 bottle of wine". I want to know the price point, and some other s don't. If we are tasting $8 Italian Pinot Gris, and I find one that I'd gladly have another glass, then it rates a medal. If I'd seek it out and buy it myself, then that's silver. If I'd want a case, then that's gold for sure. On the other hand, if we are doing classified growth Bordeaux, I expect I'd enjoy most each and every one of them down to the last drop. To get a medal, they better sit either as a classic example of the style, and/or shine above the others.

I was judging just 3 weeks ago, and one guy on our panel would not award a medal to anything. On an 10 point scale, he was giving 4s and 5s. Criteria for a medal starts at 7. Nothing impressed him. So to make conversation, I asked him what he'd had recently that liked. He proceeds to pull out his phone and show me pictures of labels he's been tasting and it is a Hall of Fame of the best wines in the world. Cheval Blanc, Opus One, Penfolds Grange, LaTour, and a dozen others that mere mortals can never afford or would ever choose to drop hundreds of dollars retail on. I flatly told him that if that's his standard, no wine that we were judging would ever measure up to that. He kind of shrugged, but did loosen up his criteria after that.

People can be label snobs about things other than food and drink. I was getting into the audiophile scene back in the 1980s, and that bunch hung on every word from Julian Hirsch in his magazine reviews. He'd tests amps and speakers and turntable cartridges (yeah, going way back) and record his electronic measurements and readings and then rate the equipment. Audiophiles are as snobby as wine people when it comes to labels. As the snobbery seemed to be getting out of hand, Hirsch wrote an article that basically said while looking at the numbers is useful and fun, it's all about how it sounds to you in your living room. If it sounds good, then it is good. Period.

That goes for bourbon, scotch, wine or anything like it. If it tastes good to you, it is good - for you. I like blondes and you dig redheads? More power to you. Doesn't make you wrong, just leaves more blondes for me.

Blind tests are the best. You don't know what's what and can let your taste buds do the talking without prejudice.

There is no big skill in finding a good $100 bottle of Napa Cab or single barrel bourbon. The treasure is finding the $20 bottle that floats your boat. They are out there, and what you find as great, someone else might not like. So be it. You snobs need to get off your high horse and believe it.

Great Post - I'm always on the lookout for that amazing bourbon, that amazing wine that is $20. For Bourbon, It's Weller's and it's been a while since I've found and amazing bottle of wine for a bargain. Any suggestions?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by hatari

This alway brings a point of disagreement among the judges. One camp if firmly in the "a great wine stands on its own regardless of its price". I am in the other camp that says "My expectations for a $100 bottle wine are far different from a $10 bottle of wine". I want to know the price point, and some other s don't. If we are tasting $8 Italian Pinot Gris, and I find one that I'd gladly have another glass, then it rates a medal. If I'd seek it out and buy it myself, then that's silver. If I'd want a case, then that's gold for sure. On the other hand, if we are Terraza Melbecdoing classified growth Bordeaux, I expect I'd enjoy most each and every one of them down to the last drop. To get a medal, they better sit either as a classic example of the style, and/or shine above the others.

Great Post - I'm always on the lookout for that amazing bourbon, that amazing wine that is $20. For Bourbon, It's Weller's and it's been a while since I've found and amazing bottle of wine for a bargain. Any suggestions?

Terraza Melbec, Argentinian .
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/01/17
Angels Envy is a favorite as is Four Roses Single Barrel.
WL Weller reserve is a solid choice that isn't expensive and readily available around here.
Elmer T. Lee is the best bourbon for the money in my opinion. Sadly, it's tough to find these days.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17
Couple of on sale pickups this afternoon. Total < $65.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I think the mines great yours sucks game is silly, but I don't discount the value of others input and grading. I don't mind trying a few different options to clarify to my palate what I prefer.

Whether we're talking say $25-40 bottles, $50-100 or whatever range, I do see a value in narrowing the search down. I try and simplify my search by making three broad categories for a given range, quite nice (will buy it again), meh (take it or leave it), blah (I regret buying it). I don't expect a $25 bottle to drink like a $100 bottle, but I do expect every $100 bottle to make me say wow. The reality is not every $100 bottle is going to trip my trigger and I'd rather not spend $100 to find that out.

What it comes down to for me is finding something that will stand on it's own two or three fingers served neat and sipped. I don't mind drinking an affordable bourbon, but I don't expect to have to drink something that has to be adulterated to make it drinkable. I'm looking for flavors that are distinct and balanced, and there is a bit of bite without being harsh. Quite nice on my scale achieves that balance, meh has muted flavors, blah is unbalanced or harsh. I will gladly accept others input to avoid sampling the blah's, as well as trying to find another quite nice option.

458, Try the 92 Clyde. I think you'll like it. $36 at Publix' small liquor store tonight.

P.S. - that is my test, too. I may mix it once in a great while, but the 2-3 finger test neat tells me all I need to know.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need your address.....I should be there in about three days, maybe four tops.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

I've got a little over half a bottle left. My opinion....meh. I think overpriced, too. But I'll definitely drink the rest!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No worries, FG. Gotcha covered. Mannlicher and I just drove out to WY for Keith's antelope hunt and it took us about 3 1/2 days from Gainesville, FL. My place is about 336 mi farther, so better plan on 4. smile
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No worries, FG. Gotcha covered. Mannlicher and I just drove out to WY for Keith's antelope hunt and it took us about 3 1/2 days from Gainesville, FL. My place is about 336 mi farther, so better plan on 4. smile

Crap..... I'm 884mi from keith's place. Maybe I'll just go buy a couple of Jugs and have one in your honor.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Crap..... I'm 884mi from keith's place. Maybe I'll just go buy a couple of Jugs and have one in your honor.

smile
I love Malbecs -- I'll look for it!
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Be happy to test some of that Blanton's for ya. smile
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/02/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

I've got a little over half a bottle left. My opinion....meh. I think overpriced, too. But I'll definitely drink the rest!

See and I love,1st bottle is finished and have 2 more.... everyone has different tastes
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/03/17
Anybody tried this stuff?

[Linked Image]

Genious marketing, might have to try a fith just because.
I've recently been able to sample Elijah Craig and Henry McKenna. I enjoyed the first well enough, but am fairly well taken with the latter. Quite nice from nose to finish, IMO. $34, out the door.

FC
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Bourbon Recommendations - 11/06/17
All Weller sucks. You will all be better off leaving it on the shelf. Especially in Idaho.
© 24hourcampfire