Home
Posted By: Calhoun Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Felt like somebody hit me across the lower back with a bat. Waves of pain.. Burning sensation of course.. Started drinking lots of water, 3 hours later I think I'll live. Must have been a baby one, either that or the second wave is waiting to arrive.

I think I'll be drinking LOTS of water from now on. That's not something I want to encounter again.
Wife almost croaked from one that she passed and became infected. 6 days in the Hospital. Nothing to sneeze at so take care...
I thought I was passing a burning Volkswagen. Turned out not to be that big. Life-changing and mind-bending. The sudden vomiting added an intriguing dimension as well.
Posted By: Steve Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I had one that got stuck in my ureter for about a month and a half. Thank goodness it only hurt for the first week and a half and the last few hours.

Nurse told me that she'd had babies and kidney stones. Said the stones were far worse. I can believe her.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Week and a half? Oh man... Serious drugs would be necessary.
Originally Posted by Steve
I had one that got stuck in my ureter for about a month and a half. Thank goodness it only hurt for the first week and a half and the last few hours.

Nurse told me that she'd had babies and kidney stones. Said the stones were far worse. I can believe her.

I've had em take months to make the journey from the kidney to the bladder, some make it in a matter of days. Sometimes they get stuck for good and have to be retrieved.

The last one got hung up in the urethra, first time that ever happened. Now fellas, that's an attention getter.!
I was in a bar watching the World Series a few years ago. Went to the restroom and there was a guy laying on the floor passed out. I told the owner and he called the sheriff to report a drunk down. It turned out the guy wasn’t drunk but had a large kidney stone pass and had lost consciousness from the pain and hit the floor!
Posted By: Steve Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Dilaudid. Lots.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I had them 3 separate times............ouch
Originally Posted by Steve

Dilaudid. Lots.

Oldest had one that took 6 hours to pass. Morphine did nothing, dilaudid finally helped.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I was in a bar watching the World Series a few years ago. Went to the restroom and there was a guy laying on the floor passed out. I told the owner and he called the sheriff to report a drunk down. It turned out the guy wasn’t drunk but had a large kidney stone pass and had lost consciousness from the pain and hit the floor!

Did the Giants win? Trick Question.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I pulled out of a guys shop with a 25 foot boat in tow and got hit with a stone. Not much doubt about what is going on. I was alone and had to drive 50 miles pulling the boat with what felt like a red hot boulder heading south.
I was burned when I was in high school by an explosion and developed the ability to ignore pain for a pretty good while. It wears you out though. I pulled the boat over to the side of the road and it took me about 15 minutes to get in the "zone".
I walked into the emergency room the nurse asked me what was going on. When I told her she couldn't believe I was still standing or that I had driven in to the hospital. I told her that I had to drop off my boat first. She said that she had given birth to three children and two stones. She said the stones hurt more and you got nothing when it was over.

Good luck with yours!
Headed up for 3 days of hunting in the boonies in the morning if this doesn't reappear. Do not want to be 5 hours away, but hunting has to happen. Freezer is empty..

Was slated to head out this AM until work got stupid and scheduled a meeting I had to be at. Thank God for that meeting.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Between about 2007 and 2014 I was passing kidney stones at the rate of one every other week. A lifetime of bad hydration had built up what my doc described as a kidney stone farm in my kidney (only the left side ever had a problem). He said that as long as they were passing, it was safer to let them pass naturally than to go in to try to remove them. Some of them were pretty easy to pass, others left me puking and passed out from the pain. And the first time you fill a toilet bowl up with blood as you're pissing, you sure do pay attention.

I stopped drinking soda and started to drink 80 or more ounces of water a day, and sure enough, the stones have basically disappeared (I still get one maybe once a year, but compared to how it was, it's nothing).

If I were in your position I'd bring some tylenol type of med and LOTS of water but still go hunting. If you can also bring something that you can use as a warm compress that always helped me with mine...a hot water bottle or even a heated rock in a towel right over the kidney keeps it from hurting too much.
BTDT, Lithotripsy, cystoscope, the whole works.

If it's a calcium oxylate stone (most are) there is an OTC product that helps control the production of those stones.

Find out the type and if calcium, try Theralith. It is not a medicine, no Rx needed.

It is Vit B6, Magnesium and Potassium. Sodium and Calcium are needed to form those stones. The kidney has a reciprocal relationship Mg++ with Ca++, K+ with Na+. If the kidney is excreting Mg++, Ca++ excretion is inhibited, same for K+ and Na+. I've not had a recurrence, have taken this product regularly for years.

Getting dehydrated can sometimes trigger an attack.

www.theralogix.com/sp/theralogix-theralith-xr

DF

5 steps for preventing kidney stones
Daniel Pendick
Posted October 04, 2013, 12:30 pm , Updated May 09, 2017, 3:26 pm
Daniel Pendick, Former Executive Editor, Harvard Men's Health Watch
preventing kidney stones

If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you surely remember it. The pain can be unbearable, coming in waves until the tiny stone passes through your urinary plumbing and out of the body. For many, kidney stones aren’t a one-time thing: in about half of people who have had one, another appears within seven years without preventive measures.

Preventing kidney stones isn’t complicated, but it does take some determination.

Kidney stones form when certain chemicals become concentrated enough in the urine to form crystals. The crystals grow into larger masses (stones), which can make their way through the urinary tract. If the stone gets stuck somewhere and blocks the flow of urine, it causes pain.

Most stones occur when calcium combines with one of two substances: oxalate or phosphorous. Stones can also form from uric acid, which forms as the body metabolizes protein.
Kidney stonesHow to avoid kidney stones

Preventing kidney stones means preventing the conditions that support their formation. I asked Dr. Melanie Hoenig, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, for the top ways to prevent kidney stones. Here are her recommendations:

Drink plenty of water: Drinking extra water dilutes the substances in urine that lead to stones. Strive to drink enough fluids to pass 2 liters of urine a day, which is roughly eight standard 8-ounce cups. It may help to include some citrus beverages, like lemonade and orange juice. The citrate in these beverages helps block stone formation.

Get the calcium you need: Getting too little calcium in your diet can cause oxalate levels to rise and cause kidney stones. To prevent this, make sure to take in an amount of calcium appropriate to your age. Ideally, obtain calcium from foods, since some studies have linked taking calcium supplements to kidney stones. Men 50 and older should get 1,000 milligrams (mg) of calcium per day, along with 800 to 1,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D to help the body absorb the calcium.

Reduce sodium: A high-sodium diet can trigger kidney stones because it increases the amount of calcium in your urine. So a low-sodium diet is recommended for the stone prone. Current guidelines suggest limiting total daily sodium intake to 2,300 mg. If sodium has contributed to kidney stones in the past, try to reduce your daily intake to 1,500 mg. This will also be good for your blood pressure and heart.

Limit animal protein: Eating too much animal protein, such as red meat, poultry, eggs, and seafood, boosts the level of uric acid and could lead to kidney stones. A high-protein diet also reduces levels of citrate, the chemical in urine that helps prevent stones from forming. If you’re prone to stones, limit your daily meat intake to a quantity that is no bigger than a pack of playing cards. This is also a heart-healthy portion.

Avoid stone-forming foods: Beets, chocolate, spinach, rhubarb, tea, and most nuts are rich in oxalate, and colas are rich in phosphate, both of which can contribute to kidney stones. If you suffer from stones, your doctor may advise you to avoid these foods or to consume them in smaller amounts.

For everyone else, particular foods and drinks are unlikely to trigger kidney stones unless consumed in extremely high amounts. Some studies have shown that men who take high doses of vitamin C in the form of supplements are at slightly higher risk of kidney stones. That may be because the body converts vitamin C into oxalate.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721
I've passed a few of them over the last 3 years, they can hurt.My last time was less than a month ago which was bad enough to put me in the hospital for a few hours. The dilaudid took away the pain but it was given to me without asking otherwise I would have refused it.I deal with drug users enough in my job that I don't want to have to live with one 24/7. Pain meds tend to grab ahold of me and I do everything I can to not take them.
'
In addition to some sort of pain relief, get your doctor to prescribe some Flomax or some such medication to dilate the urinary tract. I found that to be of much greater benefit than pain killers as the latter leave me feeling hung over, ornery, and wishing for another to greater or lesser degrees depending on the med.I was given several doses this last time of which I only needed one. The rest were put aside for the next attack which should keep me from having to visit the emergency room.
Posted By: EdM Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
When I moved to the Middle East the company warned of the same being quite common and gave recommendations that would reduce the likelihood. Hearing and reading about stones I followed their recommendations to a tee and never had an issue. I cannot imagine.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
They sound truly terrible. Never had a kidney stone. However, I have had several gallbladder attacks- that was by far the most pain I've ever been in. However, kidney stones sound like they are actually more painful.

I've had 4 incidents of Kidney stones. First one was the worst. Came with the sudden nausea, throwing up, I had no idea what was going on. Wife took me to the ER, and they gave me a shot which caused the pain to subside and it did for a while, but after that when the pain would start again I took Hydrocodone. I take those pills with me anytime I go out of town. I don't want to go through that again. Last time wasn't long ago, I had a dr. appt, the next day so I suffered through it. Dr. got me right into X-ray and they found it. Said it was a big one, Far as I can tell they mostly hurt when they are moving through the kidney. There are several types of stones, I'm fortunate, that mine is from getting dehydrated, even tough I try real hard not to let that happen. If you can catch a stone (they give you a screen to urinate in) then you can take it to the dr who has it analyzed and they can tell you what you have to do to keep it from happening. One of the stones is one with sharp edges and that is a killer. Fortunately I haven't had one of those. Only time I take the Hydrocodone is when I know I've got a stone. I don't need the stuff otherwise and am not willing to take it for any other reason.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I've had 2 kidney stones, first was a breeze,,,the second took a week to pass, unreal pain...unreal.
Posted By: rnovi Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Felt like somebody hit me across the lower back with a bat. Waves of pain.. Burning sensation of course.. Started drinking lots of water, 3 hours later I think I'll live. Must have been a baby one, either that or the second wave is waiting to arrive.

I think I'll be drinking LOTS of water from now on. That's not something I want to encounter again.

Cal, do you know if it passed? If it didn't, you may want to consider visiting the docs now.

I had an 11mm kidney stone. Hit me at around 1am in the morning like someone took a bat to my kidneys. Brutal. I fought it off thinking "just walk it off" for 2 hours before waking my beloved wife and heading to the ER.

There was no way I was going to pass an 11mm stone (Imagine Clint Eastwood introducing you to the .44 Magnum speech). Docs hit me with a stent (so I could keep peeing) and scheduled lithotripsy.

Here's the thing: The stone has a chance to fall from the kidney tubes into the bladder. For a stone that size, well, at that point, it will block the ureter (piss tube). Now life gets ugly...because you can't piss something that big out.

So, if you didn't piss something out (*and you'd pretty much know if you did) then you really need to consider plan B.

In my case: lithotripsy. Shockwaves in a bathtub to break it up. Better than getting knifed on but more like going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson - I was pissing blood for a week and candidly, grateful for it.

Good luck man. Stones are the ONLY thing that women will EVER allow you to equate to childbirth.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Peeing in the filter cup I heard it hit the side of the filter....I chit you not.

Definitely Boone and Crockett worthy.

There are only two groups of people in the world.....those that have had kidney stones. And those that haven’t.
My appendix tried to kill me almost a year ago. Make sure you got a SPOT or a partner, and contact with the real world.

Never had a kidney stone but based on the appendix, it is no joke. Lots of fluids and emergency contacts. Don't be stupid.
Originally Posted by rnovi

Cal, do you know if it passed? If it didn't, you may want to consider visiting the docs now.

I had an 11mm kidney stone. Hit me at around 1am in the morning like someone took a bat to my kidneys. Brutal. I fought it off thinking "just walk it off" for 2 hours before waking my beloved wife and heading to the ER.

There was no way I was going to pass an 11mm stone (Imagine Clint Eastwood introducing you to the .44 Magnum speech). Docs hit me with a stent (so I could keep peeing) and scheduled lithotripsy.

Here's the thing: The stone has a chance to fall from the kidney tubes into the bladder. For a stone that size, well, at that point, it will block the ureter (piss tube). Now life gets ugly...because you can't piss something that big out.

So, if you didn't piss something out (*and you'd pretty much know if you did) then you really need to consider plan B.

In my case: lithotripsy. Shockwaves in a bathtub to break it up. Better than getting knifed on but more like going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson - I was pissing blood for a week and candidly, grateful for it.

Good luck man. Stones are the ONLY thing that women will EVER allow you to equate to childbirth.

From what I know of stones, ^^THIS^^
Usually if it is stuck in there and not moving, it doesn't hurt unless it is big enough to plug the tube up.I have had 1/2 dozen of them or so.I try to drink 50-60 ounces of liquid day.

Last one I had it became known to me in July. It quit hurting.I thought I had passed it.Come December it broke lose. I told the doc,I wasn't leaving the hospital until they got it out of there.That is something you never want to say, I leaned. The size of tools they stuck up inside me looked like they were for a horse.. I woke up with two foot of string dangling out of me attached to a stent.They told me to pull it out in three days.Damn thing felt like it was attached to my tonsil when I did.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I was feeling like crap for some time, beat up from work, back issues.........just felt a little more crappy than usual.
No big deal.
Went to take a leak and everything was fine...............then the stream stopped.
I was like WTF? and then POW! out it came..............and it felt like somebody stuck a lit match in my dekehole.
Of course the stream was a gushing then and it burned pretty good.
Sore for about a day, taking a pizz.

Next one was just the same back ache, the stream got weak and then back to full strength. About a month later that happened.
I felt it move in my kidney before though, like somebody moving a finger, medium pressure, along my insides.

Haven't had one for about a yr (just had those two). Only one kidney, 1.5X normal size, dunno if that helps or hurts.

Considering how crappy I felt, for so long..........the stones were no big deal.
Back feels better nowadays..........so maybe if I get another it will be more annoying.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I bet I've had close to 20 by now. Lots of water in the summer helps prevent mine.

Last one I had I walked out... just kept moving and drinking water and it passed in about 5 hours.

I have yet to have any pain medicine work, the pain finally gets to your body so bad that you sleep or pass out some....

I won't go to the ER anymore, they charge so much, our city insurance is worse than a joke on top of it, and its here, pee in this strainer at home until you pass it... So doc has me an RX for inflammation and hydrocodone which doesn't really help but can make me sleep some...
Originally Posted by rnovi

No, not sure it passed. I'm presuming it did.. hoping it did..
Posted By: rost495 Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
FWIW I've not captured most of the ones I've had. But I've never, knock on wood quickly and much, had one stick so far.

Biggest I've passed and caught was only about the size of #4 lead shot.
Posted By: hanco Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
I’ve heard they ain’t worth a f....k to have removed. Kinda like a prostate biopsy. I’ve had three of them. Fun fun fun
Posted By: 30338 Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17
Sometimes the pain comes for a day or so, then nothing, then back with full force. Good luck to you and hope it really is gone. Its a special time when going through it lol.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve heard they ain’t worth a f....k to have removed. Kinda like a prostate biopsy. I’ve had three of them. Fun fun fun

I've had 3-4 that were hung up and couldn't be blasted, they retrieved them with a grabber, no big deal. They knock you out and when you wake up, it burns to pee for half a day but the Big pain is gone. Pretty much back to normal the next day. I've had it done enough that I'm on a first name basis with my Uro Dr. like most folks are with their dentist. It's such a non-event that if there's one that's hung up, I'll call the Doc and tell him to send the order. It's Way better to go get it removed than to suffer with the pain it sometimes brings.

I had a boss one time that grew them to the size of marbles in months. Ultimately they had to make an incision thru his back into the kidney to remove larger stones. Supposedly they will only do that as a last resort as it's a pretty rough surgery and recovery.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/17/17

Gout and Kidney Stones are related. Stones are waaaay worse - ask me how I know. eek
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/18/17
My 2 cents.. if you never had one you just don’t know, the pain is indescribable. I can believe any story or experience I hear about a kidney stone.
Posted By: dpd Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/18/17
Passed 2 in the same day . SERIOUS PAIN . Actually thought I was dying .
Posted By: Toddly Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/18/17
I’ve got the ultimate kidney stone😕. It’s golf ball size and comes out via laparoscopic along with the kidney. Really looking
Forward to this.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/18/17
I had a kidney stone about 9 years ago. I am accustomed to intense pain due to a dead disc in my lower back that is extruded along with a bone spur that pushes against my spinal cord. The pain is sometimes excruciating. As terrible as my back pain can be, the pain from the kidney stone I had was a order of magnitude worse. Absolutely horrid. The pain was so bad that morphine didn't work at all - or maybe morphine just doesn't work on me, I'm not sure. I finally got some relief when they switched me to Dilaudid. What made it worse was that it wouldn't pass, was a sharp one, and I had to have it surgically removed. As bad as all that was, the stint I had for ~7 days after the surgery was worse - absolutely miserable.
Posted By: daveyreka Re: Holy cow.. Kidney stone? - 11/18/17
I had a CT scan today of my kidneys and bladder. They told me I have several large stones in one kidney and smaller ones in the other kidney. In addition, I have a tumor or cyst on one of my kidneys that has been under observation for the last 5 years. My Urologist left town on vacation today before the scan results came back. He will be back in a few days. Currently, I do not have any pain in my kidneys, just passing a lot of blood and some burning when I go. I am on some heavy duty antibiotics for what they say is a recurring bladder infection.

I read all the posts here and am really hoping I don’t get the pain being described. I really want them to remove the tumor or cyst but the doctors say the benefits of removing this tumor or cyst do not out weigh the risk I may not survive the surgery due to my cardiac issues. I have a pace maker / defibrillator implant and it has jump started me once. That was painful in itself.

Bottom line is my health is a mess. Not looking for sympathy. Just trying to ready myself for this next chapter in the journey of life.

Thank you everyone for sharing your information.
I feel luckier with every post i read. Never had a stone and hope it stays that way.

You fellers have my sympathy.
Rory hope all is well, and you can make it Hunting, I passed one a few years ago! hope to not have to go thru it again!
© 24hourcampfire