Home
Posted By: hanco What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
I have a few guns, mostly like the older L-61 Sako’s. I sold the mannlichers and deluxe’s. I used to collect Case pocket knives. I had a bunch of Morgan silver dollars, gave them to grandkids. So I guess I collect Sako’s, got my eye on a early 7 mag. I have a couple 1st year 264 Win mags with 26” barrels. I would kill for a 300 H&H with a 26” barrel.

So what do you all like?

[Linked Image]
100 dollar bills.
Posted By: DMc Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
45 acp brass....

DMc
Pre'64 Winchester M/70's and 5 screw Smith & Wesson revolvers. One of my M/70's has a Paul Jaeger custom stock, I have had a couple of Griffin & Howe rifles and Parker SxS shotguns. I have a custom Winchester 52 Sporter and a Springfield 1922 M2 custom sporter, that pretty much the collection now a days.
Small things I can keep in my pocket

[Linked Image]
Stihl chainsaws, had 18 of them at one point although I'm down a few now.
Just about any old sporting equipment, particularly if it's from a defunct company or company that no longer makes/sells sporting equipment. I have guns, knives, binoculars, scopes etc. from Montgomery Ward and Sears. Old knives from Cattaraugus, Estwing, Utica cutlery, Remington, Edge Mark, Lakota, G-96, Camillus, Schrade USA etc.. Old traps from Newhouse. Old fishing lures, rods and reels, you name it.
Posted By: tbear Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
X wifes. Very expensive.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Dust
Posted By: TomT Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Savage 99s, old Coleman lanterns, Alaskan deer calls (the ones with the rubber bands), Lee Loader kits, antique flashlights.......
I have issues. :-)
Posted By: krupp Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Axes. Double bit, single bit, camp, roofing, Plumb, Hudson, Jersey, foreign made ...........the older the better.
Books. American military history and aviation history. Havent read a novel in years and years.
Bad habits.
Posted By: Owl Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by tbear
X wifes. Very expensive.

Me too ! and going to keep it at one, and no more ever again.
As I prep for another move I have re-discovered I like to collect 3-10 of every-fugking-thing.
Meat.
Posted By: skeen Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Cowboy hats. Aside from Stetsons and Resistols, I have 2 from Ritch Rand out of Billings, MT and 1 from O' Farrell in Santa Fe.
Posted By: EdM Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by deflave
As I prep for another move I have re-discovered I like to collect 3-10 of every-fugking-thing.

We did a major purge on our first move near 25 years ago and maintained near "minimum" for the seven moves that followed. Today, I suggest my boys take what they want and throw a match to it all, X2 with Idaho.
Inches around the waist--unfortunately
Civil War memorabilia. Have bayonets, cannon balls, musket balls, buttons, currency, etc.
Indian/caveman artifacts. You name it, I've got it....
Old sporting memorabilia. Mostly from family. Old shells, shell boxes, grandaddy's cowhorn call for his dogs, family heirloom guns, Wooden shell boxes, autographed sporting collectables (Elmer Keith, Jack O'connor, Wayne Van Zwoll, Ruark, Selby, Carmichael, Barsness and a ton of others).
WWII bring back's from my dad. Fought in the Battle of The Bulge with the 75th Infantry....Lugers, PPK, huge Nazi U boat flag, other Nazi bring backs such as medals, hats, etc.
Knives: Case and vintage handmade knives, mostly Herron.
Framed outdoor (fishing, hunting) art autographed by the artist.
Vintage guns such as Pre-64's, Brownings, etc.
Antler sheds...love the big ones.

Our son (not so much our daughter) is hanging around me like a buzzard waiting on me to die!
Memories mostly. Wasn't for the old ones I wouldn't have many. laugh
Flies mostly.

Where you going to, bro?
chocolate pot and tea sets that are at least 200 yrs old
Books on hunting and fishing, and american history.
I'm not really sure what i have more of

surgical scars or B series mopar big blocks
Nothing
Posted By: GregW Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/18/18
Memories....
Posted By: SEM Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/18/18
mostly crap I'll never use or need until I toss it or god willing sell it to you!
I don't collect, I accumulate stuff.

I like older deer rifles (walnut and steel) and have too many. None of them are really worth much, which is probably why I have them. They all shoot great though and I enjoy hunting with them.

I also liked to accumulate custom hunting knives. I started buying custom knives in 1972 and quit buying them when I started making knives in 2002. It is kind of disappointing, when I look at them, to realize how many of the makers have passed away. The last few years I have started selling some and should probably get rid of the rest of them.
Old straight razors and old schick razors. Started with my great grandfathers. Don't ask me why but I love them....
I like belts and buckles

[Linked Image]
Arrowheads.
I just aquire stuff! There's stuff everywhere I look! Example son in law was looking for fishing swivels! Found boxes of one thousand each in various sizes! They were with other stuff! Stuff and more stuff!!!!
Spare and odd sized nuts and bolts based on a glance in my tool chest.

History books. The last few years I have been on a personal memoir / biography kick. With all of the authors collecting stories from the quickly diminishing “greatest generation” there is a gold mine here in the last decade or so!
Used to collect coins, but wasnt really serious about it. Had a friend I grew up with who collected old glass bottles.
Sheetrock and decking screws! We've been cleaning the basement and found dozens of boxes of each in various sizes, I know there are more boxes of the same at the cabin. Green treated lumber too, I could build a pretty large deck with what I have on hand.

I collect oddball guns, or at least not common ones in common chamberings. 35, 32, 351, and 401 Winchester Self Loader, 25, 30, and 32 Remington, 40/65 and 45/60 Win, 14 ga, 219 Zipper, 6mm Lee/Navy, and a couple others. If in an unusual fire arm like a Standard Arms G (converts fron semi-auto to pump), Winchester 1905/1907/1910, Remington 8/81. Used to collect 16 ga shotguns and Savage 1899 rifles but sold many of the former and have slowed down on the latter.

Was working pretty hard on collecting the major cartridge U.S. martial arms but got sidetracked buying British, German, and Japanese arms. I need a 45 caliber trapdoor but have a 50/70. Also need to pick up a 1903A3 and an M16a1 copy to fill out the collection.
Harmonicas, it seems sometimes. I have dozens. Antique woodworking tools. Everything I collect can and does get used, so it they are in good working order at all times. I also make armor, so any odd armor making tools i find, I usually buy.
Guns
reloading dies
reloading books
gunsmithing books
Chisels
Wrenches
Screwdrivers
Hammers
machinist vises
cowboy shirts
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Meat.

Man after my own heart.

We have 2 full-size freezers and 2 refrigerators with freezers. The fuller the better.

My father went off the rails years ago and became a bit of a prepper and was giving me crap for not being properly prepared to tend to my family. I finally had enough and chewed his butt. I explained I had years and years of food standing out in my pasture just waiting to be harvested. We don't have that many cows any more, but still enough to feed my family for years to come if necessary.
Fishing and reloading gear. I have more downriggers than I can legally run up here, but it didn't stop me from buying more. Same thing with trolling rods. Is it bad to have bullets for calibers you don't even have?
Have collected a lot of chit over the years. Had Argentine Mauser carbines, baseball cards, old oddball ammo, arrowheads, books.......too much stuff to remember. Wife and I used to hit antique stores looking for Uhl pottery, Aladdin lamps, and Wild Turkey whiskey decanters. We quit because we ran out of room to put everything.
Antique Creek Chub Pikie Minnows, Ambassadeur baitcasters, Mitchell spinning reels, Lee reloading kits, Savage 99's, Savage branded ammo. That's enough.
Big game animals and Indian artifacts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You aren't the only one. After my FIL passed, we were going through the garage contents. We found multiples of the craziest things. Just proves a guy cant resist a good deal.......no matter how many of the same things he already has.
I don't know if I'd call it collecting, but I sure can't seem to walk past a deal on a good knife!
Sand.

Every time I'm sitting on a new beach somewhere, I'll fill a water bottle with some dry sand from that beach. I've got about 20 samples now from beaches all over the East Coast, the Caribbean, and Mexico. It's amazing how different they are.

I think I drive the TSA crazy. Every time I fly back from somewhere, the TSA has to open my suitcase and inspect it when they see a water bottle filled with an unknown substance.
Originally Posted by Jericho
Used to collect coins, but wasnt really serious about it. Had a friend I grew up with who collected old glass bottles.

I try to collect American Gold Eagles when I have some spare change to invest. wink
I'm an avid collector/enthusiast:

Custom knives
Alpha optics
German & Swiss hi-end watches
Rifles & pistols
Left handed bows
Custom flashlights
Backpacks
Ball caps.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/18/18
Originally Posted by jnyork
Books. American military history and aviation history. Havent read a novel in years and years.

How did this get posted under jnyork's name instead of mine?!
I collect books on hunting big game internationally. I have more than 2,000 including a few published in the mid-19th century. Nearly all of the contemporary titles are first editions signed by their authors.

I also have a home and a cabin loaded with mounts of more than five dozen big game animals.

My grandkids are going to have fun trying to figure what to do with it all. Burglars took my little collection of 39 rifles and shotguns, so they won't have them to worry about.

Bill Quimby
Dust.
Marbles
I don't collect anything seriously. At one time I thought that I wanted to collect knives. Another time it was belt buckles. I have sold most of these. I have a few hundred baseball cards from the 60's. I also have several autographed pictures of baseball and football stars from the 60's. A bunch of the Cardinals, Joe Namath, Johnny U., Guys like that. I hunt Indian artifacts but I don't really collect them. My latest is a venture into cartridge collecting. Who knows where this will go? As I have gotten older I have tried to liquidate the things that my family may have to deal with that they have no interest in. My lead and brass stash will intimidate them enough!
Vinegar cruets /sadd irons /savage 99's ---- $2 to $2000----you never know.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
100 dollar bills.

yep........

take up less room in the safe.........
My wife says I collect running shoes, hiking boots and ammunition, but no one listens. I do have 23 pairs of Oakley shooting and sun glasses that were gifted to me over the last 10 years.

mike r
Friends of mine finally threw in the towell and gave up their farm down in Ohio. I helped at the farm auction and it was more like a funeral. The father collected lots of stuff. It was surprising to see how much he actually had. I grew up working in that barn, putting up straw and hay, helping with the equipment, butchering chickens and such. He had some of everything, I swear. I counted well over 100 wooden doors. Glass door knobs-there must have been 3 55 gallon drums full of them. P.T.O. belts, axe heads, even toilet seats-we found a box with about 25 toilet seats in it. Heck, there was an old Indian motorcycle buried in the barn the kids didn't even know was there. It seems like this collecting/hoarding thing kind of takes on a life of it's own when it gets out of hand like this. They did pretty good on the auction. It was well attended and the bidders weren't sitting on their wallets. I bought an old Harrington Richardson .410 single shot and later was able to give it back to my buddy. His family had killed a lot of rabbits with that gun, and it just had to go home, so it did. Tommy's dad was smiling somewhere, I'm sure.
Posted By: papat Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/20/18
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Fishing and reloading gear. I have more downriggers than I can legally run up here, but it didn't stop me from buying more. Same thing with trolling rods. Is it bad to have bullets for calibers you don't even have?

And loading dies. I just this week went thru bunches of old ammo, bullets and brass I have had laying around for up to 30 years. It was real. So what gun did .298 bullets go too? The big Carcano? Got a bunch. Got a bunch of the old wasp waisted Herters bullets too. Along with that is the usual collection of guns, books to make me think I am smart and old family trinkets. Stuff. Stuff. And more stuff.
Posted By: papat Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/20/18
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Marbles

I already lost mine.
Broadheads. Ive got about 500 different ones now.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What things do you collect?? - 04/20/18
Originally Posted by sharp_things

Bluebeard?
Old model Rugers, Coleman lanterns, Cast Iron, and Old Bear Kodiaks.
Salmonella, That is a hell of a cabin and very impressive collection of animals.
Nothing.

Thought about a Blackwidow HF500, give me each type of metal riser hunting bow.
But I have two, and use 'em.........so don't need the 3rd.

Gunsafe has Ruger, Colt, Remington........each fills a need..........no collecting aspect.

Had piles of deer racks taken over the yrs, and a lot of music CD's. Gave most of that stuff away.

Pops has about 60 reloading presses..........I aint gonna be running a museum.
Nothing.

Been through that clean up phase with 2 sets of great-grandparents and will be doing the same for my grandfather sometime in the near future.

All lived in the Depression so you can only guess how much schitt was and is stacked in barns and old houses once newer ones were built.

No need for my daughter to have to clean up after me.
i think i could say just about everything people have mentioned, i have stuck around. My interest is heavily oriented towards militaria from various countries. One of my goose chases is owning every U.S. firearm going back to the revolutionary war.
Originally Posted by papat
Originally Posted by FishinHank

And loading dies. I just this week went thru bunches of old ammo, bullets and brass I have had laying around for up to 30 years. It was real. So what gun did .298 bullets go too? The big Carcano? Got a bunch. Got a bunch of the old wasp waisted Herters bullets too. Along with that is the usual collection of guns, books to make me think I am smart and old family trinkets. Stuff. Stuff. And more stuff.

Yup, sounds like the 7.35 Carcano.
I collect magnets, wildlife pictures & Fence Post pictures.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by sharp_things

Bluebeard?

Lmao....that poor fella
© 24hourcampfire