Home
Posted By: Jamie Self defense shooting insurence - 06/18/18
I just signed up for the NRA carry guard so I have some insurance to help with the legal/financial part of a self defense shooting if I ever have to use my CCW.
I'm wondering how many guys here have a similar insurance ?

Jamie
My state has a no-liability law for self defense shootings. Maybe yours does too.
Originally Posted by JWD8310
My state has a no-liability law for self defense shootings. Maybe yours does too.

That doesn't cover you against legal fees in a criminal case. That's what the big part of the insurance is for - immediate 24/7 phone access to an attorney, money for a retainer and $X for attorney's fees.
Yep,

It's a very good idea.
Self defense "insurance" thread from the Handgun forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12185474/1
www.USCCA.com or all 877-677-1919. They allow me to sleep at night. This may be getting old, but I'm using it for context - I was a Deputy Sheriff in Texas for 16 years. I was also a departmental and regional firearms instructor. I paid dues to two organizations that did nothing other than represent LEOs in time of need. When I gave up my commission they would no longer allow me to be a member. I looked for shooting insurance via Google and found the USCCA. Great bunch of folks. I picked the platinum package. I have $500,000 for attorneys/court costs/expert witnesses/private investigators. I also am covered for 1 million dollars if I lose a civil judgement. I have 24/7/365 phone number for a Critical Incident team. If I call them (the second call after calling 911 first) they will get me an attorney relatively quickly and will bail me out of jail if I am arrested for a defensive, justified shooting. I believe I am paying 33 dollars a month. Best damn 33 dollars I have ever set up as a automatic debit from my checking account. Peace of Mind is worth a lot. USCCA walks you through every facet of a shooting, what to say to the 911 operator, what bare bones information to give the police when they arrive, and relatively quickly, an attorney that is skilled in defending Concealed Carriers in court. Having an attorney that is not very knowledgeable about shootings is worse than not having as attorney at all and representing yourself.
Mag, thanks for this information...😎
Tag

Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network , Inc.

NOT insurance based ,. ACLDN is a net work with a Huge war chest, ready to help immediately. Without an insurance investigation. Insurance based is not a good format. Who needs insurance companies involved with a shooting?

Couple of years ago the NRA disinvited 2-3 exhibitors from the annual NRA meeting, because the exhibitors had a plan in competition with Carry Guard.. The NRA had just kicked off their Carry Guard. ACLDN was not disinvited. However, Marty Hayes from ACLDN protested the disinvite from the NRA, even though the disinvited were competitors of ACLDN.

ACLDN runs a training site also. If you are serious about Carrying Concealed you need something to protect you.

Carry Guard is , in my studied opinion, woefully insufficient. Do not construe this to mean I do not support the NRA.
I am a longtime member of Marty Hayes' Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It gives you far more bang for your buck than USCCA or NRA CarryGuard. This is both a joint risk-sharing group and a legal defense system.

Marty is an attorney who really gets the value of an affirmative defense for self-defense shootings. He picked up from the strong work done by Massad Ayoob back in the 80's in this regard, and has strengthened it. He has assembled a list of proactive defense attorneys throughout the United States who know how to work aggressively to keep you (the righteous self-defender) from suffering any more than the absolute minimum negative effects that can come at you from the criminal justice system and the subsequent civil lawsuits. Having an attorney with the proper mindset is crucial to surviving the post-shooting environment.

Your dues as a member of ACLDN give you access to a pool of funds that will pay for most, if not all, of your legal costs.

Many (but by no means all) of the attorneys in the ACLDN database have taken Massad Ayoob's training, which is IMHO the best all-around training for the defensive shooter available anywhere. His basic pair of classes, Stressfire (or MAG-20) is a good basic shooting class, but his Armed Citizens' Use of Deadly Force (MAG-40, formerly LFI-1) is the best class you can take for knowing when and how to use your defensive firearm, and how to survive the aftermath. The principles Ayoob elucidates in his courses have been proven time and again to work for folks who get caught up in the justice system's works after having an armed encounter. This stuff is proven to work.

I realize that a lot of people don't like Massad Ayoob, and that's their privilege, even though 90% of the bad stuff folks say about him is BS. I've done the background checking on him myself on all of the accusations, and am satisfied that this is the case. I've also taken almost every class Ayoob teaches and am certified as an instructor in Massad Ayoob Group, although I rarely teach any classes for him or for MAG. So take that as a disclaimer if you like.
tag
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I am a longtime member of Marty Hayes' Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It gives you far more bang for your buck than USCCA or NRA CarryGuard. This is both a joint risk-sharing group and a legal defense system.

Marty is an attorney who really gets the value of an affirmative defense for self-defense shootings. He picked up from the strong work done by Massad Ayoob back in the 80's in this regard, and has strengthened it. He has assembled a list of proactive defense attorneys throughout the United States who know how to work aggressively to keep you (the righteous self-defender) from suffering any more than the absolute minimum negative effects that can come at you from the criminal justice system and the subsequent civil lawsuits. Having an attorney with the proper mindset is crucial to surviving the post-shooting environment.

Your dues as a member of ACLDN give you access to a pool of funds that will pay for most, if not all, of your legal costs.

Many (but by no means all) of the attorneys in the ACLDN database have taken Massad Ayoob's training, which is IMHO the best all-around training for the defensive shooter available anywhere. His basic pair of classes, Stressfire (or MAG-20) is a good basic shooting class, but his Armed Citizens' Use of Deadly Force (MAG-40, formerly LFI-1) is the best class you can take for knowing when and how to use your defensive firearm, and how to survive the aftermath. The principles Ayoob elucidates in his courses have been proven time and again to work for folks who get caught up in the justice system's works after having an armed encounter. This stuff is proven to work.

I realize that a lot of people don't like Massad Ayoob, and that's their privilege, even though 90% of the bad stuff folks say about him is BS. I've done the background checking on him myself on all of the accusations, and am satisfied that this is the case. I've also taken almost every class Ayoob teaches and am certified as an instructor in Massad Ayoob Group, although I rarely teach any classes for him or for MAG. So take that as a disclaimer if you like.

Good summary. I also use the ACLDN and think it is better than the NRA or USCCA offerings. I've had most of the training DocRocket mentions as well as training at Thunder Ranch and Marty Hayes' FAS etc..

Good Summary Doc,

The Ayoob classes are well worth taking.
I need some, I may have to shoot someone
Jamie,

Obviously, while I cannot speak for anyone but Darla & I, we have NATIONWIDE coverage with TEXAS LAW SHIELD. About 13 bucks a month.

yours, tex
Tag
Originally Posted by hanco

Well thats the last damn thing I"d have ever posted in a public forum...
Originally Posted by satx78247
Jamie,

Obviously, while I cannot speak for anyone but Darla & I, we have NATIONWIDE coverage with TEXAS LAW SHIELD. About 13 bucks a month.

yours, tex

About to join this, waiting on a stop the bleed class by them hopefully where I can get a discount, all said and done for the US should cost wife and I about 30 bucks a month total.
Originally Posted by DocRocket

So. You've been planning on killing the defendant a long time...
tag
Originally Posted by ltppowell

So. You've been planning on killing the defendant a long time...

grin

Good one, El Tee!!
Originally Posted by bowmanh

Good summary. I also use the ACLDN and think it is better than the NRA or USCCA offerings. I've had most of the training DocRocket mentions as well as training at Thunder Ranch and Marty Hayes' FAS etc..

There's a lot of good training out there. I've taken training at Thunder Ranch, from several past and present Gunsite instructors, from many others. Lots of people have a piece of the truth, it's worth studying under many teachers.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by hanco

Well thats the last damn thing I"d have ever posted in a public forum...

That’s the last thing I’d ever want to have to go through...Total nightmare in Oregon, especially Portland. Gun and gun owner haters everywhere, including a lot of our judges...Best defense is being aware and alert to my surroundings. If I can avoid a situation, I will avoid it. I’m not ever looking to intentionally put myself in a sketchy situation where I have to clear leather on somebody...

I’am Looking at these plans posted in this thread though...Always better to know you have solid, experienced legal counsel in the unfortunate event that I’am forced to defend myself or wife with my firearm...I appreciate all the information 😎
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

That doesn't cover you against legal fees in a criminal case. That's what the big part of the insurance is for - immediate 24/7 phone access to an attorney, money for a retainer and $X for attorney's fees.

WA has a zero liability law where the state must reimburse the defendant if found tonhave used force in self defense.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

WA has a zero liability law where the state must reimburse the defendant if found tonhave used force in self defense.

There's the money you'd have to put up for a legal defense and lord knows how long it would take in the court system to be cleared of all wrong and be reimbursement
Pfft shooting insurance. When are they gonna come out with Child Support insurance
ive got the uscca platinum, hope i never have to make that call, but i owe it to my family to not bankrupt us If i have to shoot some [bleep] head trying to do them harm
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pfft shooting insurance. When are they gonna come out with Child Support insurance

Scott.
At your age I don't think Child Support is much of a worry. grin
Originally Posted by cisco1

Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network , Inc.

NOT insurance based ,. ACLDN is a net work with a Huge war chest, ready to help immediately. Without an insurance investigation. Insurance based is not a good format. Who needs insurance companies involved with a shooting?

Couple of years ago the NRA disinvited 2-3 exhibitors from the annual NRA meeting, because the exhibitors had a plan in competition with Carry Guard.. The NRA had just kicked off their Carry Guard. ACLDN was not disinvited. However, Marty Hayes from ACLDN protested the disinvite from the NRA, even though the disinvited were competitors of ACLDN.

ACLDN runs a training site also. If you are serious about Carrying Concealed you need something to protect you.

Carry Guard is , in my studied opinion, woefully insufficient. Do not construe this to mean I do not support the NRA.

^This.

Both the ACDN offering and Marty Hayes’ pistol training are worth the price. A substantive component of the pre-range classroom training is on the justified use of lethal force in a SD scenarios.
© 24hourcampfire