Home
Posted By: Morewood Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I imagine just about everybody here has had to put down a beloved pet at one point in their life.

How did you do it? The time is fast approaching to where I have to make that decision and it tortures my soul.
Posted By: deflave Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I like to use a baseball bat.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I imagine just about everybody here has had to put down a beloved pet at one point in their life.

How did you do it? The time is fast approaching to where I have to make that decision and it tortures my soul.

It sucks. There's no way around it. No way to make it not suck, just give them the dignity and swift death you owe them. Bout an hour and a half ago I put down one of the best horses I've ever had. Toast them, make it quick and clean and move one.

Clarke ain't much for sentiments, but I am. I'm a soft bastard when it comes to critters, at least my own.
You will know when the time is. I had to put my boxer down less than a month after my wife passed. Pick the day and time and make it a good day for them. I had our boxer creamated and she is on the mantel with her mom. And yea its bad I dont think there is a way to be ready but it helps to try. Sorry for you and your friend.
Posted By: las Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Vet. But I hate crying in public.

Put a Lab down one time on lunch break with a sneak .22 round to the medulla. He never even twitched.

I have never spent a longer afternoon half-shift.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
We had a visiting vet come to our house for one. It cost $400 but there was not the trauma of the dog being afraid of going to the vet and I didn't have to try driving home through tears. The vet took the body to cremation, we could have had ashes back for a fee, or could have kept the dog and buried it in the yard. Last big dog I buried left an odor for a couple months. We have been lucky that a couple just went to sleep. Last one I had to take in as it was really sick; it still pains me how she perked up after seeing me again after the vet examined her had told me that all it would take is a lot of money. That was a coyote cross that talked to me every day when came in.

Now I have a lump in my throat; good luck on whatever transpires. We all feel for you.
I feel for you, its tough. I usually do it myself, I figure its my responsibility. That doesn't make it easy though.
Our pets have always been part of our family so I think the most important thing is that you are there with them. We had to put our 14 year old Lab, Josh down 2 1/2 years ago. I didn't know I had that many tears but we are their whole world and when the time comes I think it's important to be there and let them know that they are loved right up 'til their last breath. I know old Josh would have done the same for me.
It sucks

No other way to describe it.

Get another pup and give that one a good life.
I’ve taken mine to the veterinarian since I’m too soft to do it myself. I also cried like a little girl afterwards, every time. If I were in a position that didn’t allow the convenience of a vet I’d do what needed to be done out of love and compassion but fortunately I’ve yet to be in that position. I almost had to put one down out of compassion since he was having a grand mal seizure that wasn’t letting up. I cocked the revolver and just as I was about to squeeze the trigger the seizure stopped (thank God). He never had another seizure and we got a couple more years with him. When it was time we took him to the veterinarian and I took his body over to my favorite hunting spot and buried him overlooking the valley, a place that I would like to be laid to rest but the law wouldn’t allow it. I visit him every time I’m over there. His resting place is marked by a large boulder that I rolled over his grave. Just thinking about it makes me tear up....

I don’t envy the position you’re in and I wish you strength during a tremendously difficult time.

Our faithful companions don’t live as long as they should and the end is always tougher than we expect.
I do it myself. I will not pay someone else to do a job just because I find it unpleasant.

Usually an HMR round to the base of the skull from the Striker. Horses get a 210 gr 41 mag in the forehead. Just don't stand too close.
The last one I had to put down was an old Retriever that I had had for 18 years. I felt that it was my dog, and therefore my responsibility. On her last day, I fed her a whole steak one bite at a time, then let her hobble across the road to get a drink from the mud puddle that she knew she wasn't supposed to get into. She never knew I followed along behind her, and, in mid drink, put a 38 slug behind her ear. I did it, but must be getting soft in my old age, as I honestly don't know if I could do it over again. None of my other dogs are elderly, yet, so hopefully it'll be awhile before I have to find out.
Originally Posted by yukon254
I feel for you, its tough. I usually do it myself, I figure its my responsibility. That doesn't make it easy though.

Same... Pre dig a deep hole... Blur your view/memory of the dispatch... Blanket quickly and bury well and deep. Plant a tree you value... Care for the tree... Time will help. If an Apple tree... Appreciate the apples. Good luck.
Way to go you guys. Now you made my eyes leak.

I can't do the deed. I'd like to find a pro to give her an injection here at home in my arms.
It's definitely one of the hardest things a guy can do. I usually stop by McDonalds and get them a small order of fries for the ride to the vet. They love the fries and it helps me make the trip. When I'm there I always go in and hold them, pet them and talk to them while the vet administers the anesthesia. That is one of the worst feelings I can think of but I feel that's the least I can do for all those years of loving devotion. I'll probably have all my dogs buried with me. So VERY sorry to hear its your turn.....😭
I really hate these threads.....
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I really hate these threads.....

I was just posting those same 5 words but you beat me to it. They always make my eyes water.
For us it was knowing that our decision would put an end to her suffering. Keeping her alive would have been selfish on our part. Put yourself in your dogs place and ask your self what would you want to happen.
Well, it should be a lot easier than it is. It's not like we spoil our dogs or anything...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 325Abn Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Man.....there's a wicked breeze blowing on my eyes just reading through this.....and i must've ate something i'm allergic to my throats a little tight suddenly...

I had one i'd had for many years and losing her....i bawled for... well a long time and most every time i think of her.... best dog i ever had. Was my companion through a nasty, messy divorce. Was my running pardner - never whined cause it was raining, too cold, too early... always ready to go.

When it's time....and the realization of that is like the pain of a red-hot brand burning a hole through the heart..., the most normal, "every day" activity sets the best stage for what has to come next.

As mentioned above, I wish you the strength and conviction to do what you know deep inside is the best thing to do when that time comes. They deserve our best to help them past the pain that comes with age.

There is no easy way through and no avoiding the hurt, but honoring your pals life with memories of great times spent does help some. I hope you can find a vet who will help with this...

Strength and peace to you.
Let the vet do it. Like going to sleep.
Mostly have used a 22, over the years - quick.
Last one, I didn't want to suffer the 40 mile ride to the ranch (he had gangrene, and HATED riding in a vehicle) - so I called my vet buddy.
He came to the house, helped us love on the dog (they liked each other a LOT), and put him down.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Let the vet do it. Like going to sleep.

Definitely take your dog to the vet. I have put down three Brittanies and I hold them and comfort them as the vet injects the serum. They just fell asleep in my arms, and I wept like a baby. I leave the corpse with the vet to dispose of. I keep the collar and tags. Very sad for sure.

IMO . . . Putting a dog down in this manner is a responsibility for the owner, and an act of love for the dog.

[Linked Image]

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
This is the one I had to put down. This was when she was in her prime, which is the way I prefer to remember her. Her name was Sheba.

[Linked Image]
Family friend from high school is a DVM. She has came by the house and did a couple over the years...for free.

We got people...for just about anything.
I was afraid someone would post the Rainbow Bridge. I can’t even read the darn thing without getting tears.

I sure hope that’s what heaven is like....
Posted By: Otter Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
We have had to put down 2 of our "late life kids" in the last 4 years. Our Vet does it for no charge for long time patients and we stay with them during the process and she (the Vet) arranges for cremation pick up. It is a hard decision to make, but if you know they are hurting, it is the right trail to take.

[Linked Image]
MILLIE 2000-2018 Lab/Spaniel mix

[Linked Image]
PETE 2002-2015 Lab/Border Collie mix
Posted By: grdad45 Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I don't have a problem putting almost any suffering animal down myself, but a dog or house pet is different. The last dog was Gypsy, a 90 lb Malamute who stole our hearts when she adopted us. She was about a year old when she came into our lives. She had a good 12 years with us, and was diagnosed with cancer in her sinuses. We treated it as long as we could, but one Sunday night she started having seizures about an hour apart. I called the night number for Vets, and we managed to get her to one at 1AM. My wife and I held her until the end, which went very peacefully. Next morning I went to the Vet's office, brought her home and buried her under her favorite shade tree. Damn, I can barely see to type now.
While I hate the subject of these threads I do like seeing men that are caring and compassionate and these threads always bring that out. A bunch of hard hearted, tough sons of bitches that turn to mush when talking about such a sad situation.

Like I’ve said before, you can live your life without a good dog but it ain’t much of a life to live. We’ll never be without a dog for as long as we live and most likely they’ll all be labs from here on out. Our 2 labs are the best, most loving and faithful dogs I’ve ever had the pleasure of “owning”. Our young German shorthair is a sweetheart but he’s also at the major pain in the ass stage of his life.

No way is easy. Just make them as happy and comfortable as you can right up to the last.
Posted By: longarm Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Morewood, call your vet or ask around for a mobile vet service. Your buddy can be comfortable in a familiar place at home and you can be too. It's really very peaceful when it happens. Mobile vet here charges ~$150. Last time I did this my vet friend (who my dog knew and loved) took care of it here for free. I personally don't like the idea of taking my ailing dog to a vet office and then home again after the deed is done.

One of the other members mentioned digging the hole in advance. Absolutely agree. Won't be easy but it will get you ready.

Wishing you the best. It's a tough day
Posted By: WAM Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I have done it st the vet and had the vet come here. I’ve got an eltern right now and won’t haul him to the vet when it’s time. I don’t think I could do it myself. I’m afraid I’d botch the job.
Just an old broken down dog
is what I've come to be.
My senses are all growing dim,
My eyes can barely see.

But master, you're still in your prime,
while I am fading fast,
Please take me with you one more time
Before I breathe my last.

You used to take me with you
To the woods when I was young,
To do your bidding faithfully
In my youth when I was strong.

My best's no longer good enough,
I'm useless and confused:
For surely you must care for me
as much as I for you.

I'll be waiting by the back door,
Take me with you when you go.
It's all I've ever wanted
and the only thing I know.

I'll struggle up and wag my tail,
Eager your will to do;
And gladly endure a painful walk
Just to be with with you.

Take me with you when you go.
One more time I long to be
with my master and my friend.
Take me with you once again.

Poem by Dana Duke
Posted By: hanco Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I had to do a few old bird dogs. It hurts!!
It's never easy...... Our last one got put to sleep by our vet. She liked the vet and felt comfortable around him. My son was also there with us and I was cradling her head in my arms as she drifted off. She got cremated and I've got the ashes. Thinking about cremation for myself when the time comes and her ashes can wind up wherever mine do.
DAMN! Good luck to You getting through this difficult task, an old neighbor guy called me over to shoot his old dog, said he couldn't afford the vet fee, I did NOT shoot his dog, had him and his old wife say their goodbyes and took the dog to the vet myself, some chit even I wont do.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
This is the one I had to put down. This was when she was in her prime, which is the way I prefer to remember her. Her name was Sheba.

[Linked Image]

What kind of dog is that.I have one that looks very similar to that.It was a rescue dog
Posted By: Huntz Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I have had to do this too many times and it always hurts.I keep all their collars and ashes.They will be spread with mine when my time comes.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
If you have a vet that will come go the house and do it, it is the best way to do it. Costs a bit more but the dog is as comfortable as it could be and the dog fades off to sleep. Hope we don't have to do it again anytime soon, always hard.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I have done it both ways. The sorrow and anquish are the same.
Posted By: memtb Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19

Next to losing a dear friend or a close relative.....there’s nothing else as painful. I wish that I could tell you how to prepare....but I have no answer! memtb

It's really the hardest thing for pet owners. Torture is a good word for it.

You want to give them as much time as possible, while at the same time not waiting so long that they go through their natural death throws after vet hours, so there's no way to get any help. I've waited too long once, and it was indeed torture to be with my dog at 12:00 Midnight while he was breathing his last breaths, terrified by what was happening to him, and I couldn't do a damned thing. Not a place you want to be. A little early might be preferable to a little late.

PS Often, a high dose prescription of Prednisone can be nearly miraculous in bringing back a dog who seems to be on his last legs. It can give them an additional month or more of good life, but when it stops working, it stops working fast.

Also, having Furosemide on hand can rescue a dog dying from natural causes, if you've waited too long, and allows them to make it to the morning when you can take them to the vet to be put down, or have the vet come over and do it. In other words, a lot of time what finally kills a dog that's near his natural end, is heart failure, and what kills a dog in that case is water retention preventing lung function. A large dose of Furosemide can rescue them from that in short order. It's, of course, only a temporary rescue, if the dog is actually at the natural end of his life, but it can give you time to get them to the vet, or have the vet come over, for a humane putting down in the AM.
Originally Posted by memtb

Next to losing a dear friend or a close relative.....there’s nothing else as painful. I wish that I could tell you how to prepare....but I have no answer! memtb

There is no answer Big Buddy, if I were God, Dogs would live as long as, then be buried with their owners! smile
I've had to have it done several times. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. I always kept hoping they would pass on their own but that didn't happen.

Just take some comfort in knowing that they depend on you to do the right thing when they can't. In nature, the old and sick animals go off on their own to die but we don't let that happen.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

[Linked Image]

What kind of dog is that.I have one that looks very similar to that.It was a rescue dog

She was just a mutt that I grabbed out of a box of puppies that someone abandoned at church, so don't really know. Closest breed I ever found to her was Nova Scotian Retriever. I didn't even realize she had a bobbed tail until I got her home, and just always assumed that it had been bobbed in some kind of accident. When she had her 1st litter of puppies, I realized that it was genetic. The puppies varied from full tail, to half tail, to nub, to one not even having enough to clamp over his butthole.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
I take mine to the vet. I live in a subdivision, not a ranching scenario. I feel that it is civil and calm and allows the pet to go peacefully. They do not mind going to the vet though. I have dispatched a cat or two myself, but my dogs I take to the vet. It seems right and compassionate. It definitely is not a fun thing to go through.
Had to put down my best buddy a few years ago. 130lb. GSD that was the best pup out of a litter from our two previous GSD’s. He was utterly loyal, would stay right near me while I worked around the farm, only go for a drink or food when I did. Didn’t let anyone come up to me unless I told him it was ok. Even made the tax assessor call me for an appointment. 😄

He started going blind at three years old(pannus), and became unpredictable. Would not allow us to use 5e steroid drops in his eyes. Grabbed my SIL’s arm when she came over to the house one day, bruised her pretty good, but didn’t draw blood. She was too loud and waving her arms around, set him off- a little. Lucky. I wound up putting him down later that week, as he was becoming too likely to hurt someone without reason. Took him for a walk, and put a .45 round into his medulla. Never twitched, and I buried him next to the pond. Tough day, that.
Hardest thing I have had to do. The last one went on her own as luck would have it on the way to the vet for a routine followup exam. She had a stroke and i carried her to the gurney and they x-rayed and said her heart chamber was full of blood. They gave her a shot and she never felt a thing. I said never again but am now looking at another pup we just took in. She came from a rescue and looks like a female plott. Beautiful brindle markings.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Put my 14 year old brittany down in February. Like others have said these threads are tough but I think they help heal too. Stayed with him as he died and glad I did.
Always try to take mine for one more walk out in the pasture if they are ambulatory, and have always used a .22, I remember every damned one of them, not hauntingly, but I can recall each one. I finally got another dog 4 years ago, almost wish I didn't, but he is my pard that's for sure. Not sure I have another "put down" in me.....maybe he will beat me to the punch?
Cats are easy, they get old and slow and the schoolbus takes care of em.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Morewood, there is no easy way to do it. It is one of those things you have to do that evens out all those times when they didn't get the attention they needed, but were still glad to see you when came home. I have one now that is limping on both ends and old, but she still guards the house. I'm doing my best to keep her comfortable, and make her days easy, but I know that it won't be long. I dread the day when her time comes...
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Morewood, there is no easy way to do it. It is one of those things you have to do that evens out all those times when they didn't get the attention they needed, but were still glad to see you when came home. I have one now that is limping on both ends and old, but she still guards the house. I'm doing my best to keep her comfortable, and make her days easy, but I know that it won't be long. I dread the day when her time comes...

Sounds like she could benefit greatly from a daily dose of Prednisone. It would add months of quality life to her last bit of time with you.

Not good for dogs not near their natural end to be chronically taking Prednisone, but for the end stage of a dog's life, it's just the ticket. Gives them months more of quality, pain free, life.
A local Vet does it really well, advises you to bring some barbecue too. First he takes the dog in back to check it out and put a catheter in. Then he brings it back, you sit with the dog hand feeding it, which occupies all its attention.

Slips the needle into the catheter and the dog is gone, instantly. $60 out the door. Did one dog that way, the next one died laying next to me at home. Got an old wobbly one sleeps next to me, if she gets too weak to walk or in pain before she dies I’ll bring her to that same Vet.

Vet came to my place Feb 7th this year...had to put this guy down

He was 14 & full of cancer....sad day for us....had a grave ready for a year or so

worst part was waiting till 1 pm that day...took him for his last walk.....

Gave him a frozen ham bone after the walk......really sucks.....

pic is him in the prime of his pampered life......

[Linked Image]
I'm moving on to another thread.
Reminder to self...don’t open this thread first thing in the morning before church.
Posted By: RAS Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
As I look at my two wire haired friends next to me, I know I have a few really tough days ahead.

In our home, our dogs are like family. They get big fat hamburgers on their birthdays.
I've put a number down. Some of my own that I really liked, and some hunting dogs that just wouldn't hunt. I gave those last dogs two years to earn their keep, after that it's get put down. Originally I tried to give them away, never worked, just put them down and be done with it.

Family and friends have had me put their dogs down. The first one I used a 22 lr, didn't care for that. After it was a 38 or a 9mm. I don't want a hole in the brain stem, I want it instantly obliterated.
Posted By: rylee1 Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Had to make that trip to the vet twice last year. Sept. and again in Dec. Part of me went with them. There is nothing easy about it but glad I was with them to their last breath. This house hasnt been the same since. But I know it had to be done, so we move on.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I've put a number down. Some of my own that I really liked, and some hunting dogs that just wouldn't hunt. I gave those last dogs two years to earn their keep, after that it's get put down. Originally I tried to give them away, never worked, just put them down and be done with it.

Family and friends have had me put their dogs down. The first one I used a 22 lr, didn't care for that. After it was a 38 or a 9mm. I don't want a hole in the brain stem, I want it instantly obliterated.

You are the type for whom dogs fall into the same category as do draft animals. I'm not being critical, but clearly you're not the type for whom dogs are family members and close friends, which explains your more casual attitude about their deaths.
That was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Have done a few. Both Vet.s were out of town a couple of times. It was certainly as bad as finding my Dad after he committed suicide. Anyone who has to put a pet down has my deepest thoughts and prayers. Rusty
We have a small family Cemetery up in a meadow with four family members buried there. There are six canine family members along with 4 or 5 of my wife's feline buds buried there.
I shot the second family dog. I will never do that again. Since then all critters have been put down by a Vet. I have held everyone, as they passed. Dogs are special, they give love completely without reservation. After the last two, which were done on the same day, both were in bad shape. It was time. We waited one year to get another dog, which is the longest I have ever gone without a companion.
My wife and I bought a new car and found a Border Collie, with the thought that Biscuit and the car would the last in our lives. Might sound a little odd, but my wife is five years older then me and that works for my twisted thought on "end of life". Well years from now my wife and I will go on the same day, because we were stressed out because our old/new car blew the engine and we could not get to the market. Biscuit would carry on with the Grand-kids hopefully. Great dog. I just want to be first, should have married a younger woman in that case.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Armednfree

You are the type for whom dogs fall into the same category as do draft animals. I'm not being critical, but clearly you're not the type for whom dogs are family members and close friends, which explains your more casual attitude about their deaths.

For the most part. There are some that it was difficult to do, mostly those who were in the house with me. Still, I find no great comfort in it being a needle done by someone else or a bullet by me, it is in the end the same. And I have done it with tears in my eyes, but I did what needed done anyway.

The kennel dogs where just as you said, draft animals.
There is no good way.

Yesterday morning I put a 22 through the head of our favorite cat, it's rough. Got 4 more dogs and 2 cats left.
Originally Posted by renegade50
It sucks

^^^This^^^

It would be much easier for me to put down a DemoRat than a beloved family pet!
Posted By: Szumi Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/14/19
Vet did two of my dogs at various times. The rest of the pets died on their own. One of those times I thought my dog was done, the vet kept him going for another 16 months of quality life, dog had diabetes, the shot he needed was insulin and he got it twice a day. Eventually he needed the last vet visit.

22 to the brain stem, over a pre-dug grave, after one last short hunting romp in the vicinity.

I don't want the vet to do it for me. I bear the responsibility.
Originally Posted by rylee1
Had to make that trip to the vet twice last year. Sept. and again in Dec. Part of me went with them. There is nothing easy about it but glad I was with them to their last breath. This house hasnt been the same since. But I know it had to be done, so we move on.

Dang, tough stuff Friend.
I have done it. Not hard when a friend is suffering and won't get better. Took him to the woods like we were going hunting and 22 to the back of the head. He died happy to go to the woods.
It is a lot more merciful than letting one die sick when the aren' t going to make it.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by renegade50
It sucks

^^^This^^^

It would be much easier for me to put down a DemoRat than a beloved family pet!

It does help to get another pup in good time and form a new bond.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
22 to the brain stem, over a pre-dug grave, after one last short hunting romp in the vicinity.

I don't want the vet to do it for me. I bear the responsibility.

This, I figure I owe it to them. done it twice, and will soon have to do it again. our old Bailey is pushing 14, and for a Lab that's gettin up there. as long as she can move on her own she's well taken care of. she has to navigate the few steps to eat and go outside, but otherwise she lays around sleeping most of the time and taking turns on the kids beds. I figured to make my 10 year old do it this time, you know, make a man out of him.... wink only kidding, trying to lighten the mood, some folks get too worked up easily.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/15/19
TRH she isn't quite that close yet I don't think. My Vet, who is a good friend and evidently trying to pay for an addition to his house, is keeping her fairly comfortable and mobile for now. When she gets a little worse, it will be worth looking into. Thanks.
The vet. It's hard either way. But with a vet you're left with no lingering doubts it was the best thing to do and done the best way.
Posted By: Starman Re: Putting down a beloved dog - 04/15/19
well...I just caught up with an aquaintance who recently finished another stint in Afghanistan,
his time there was cut short..

was right near the end of a days patrol and approaching their vehicle, when he heard the dreaded 'click' in the direction
of his black Lab a few yards away...he locked eyes on his dog the moment before the blast, which remains his last
memory of his pal before he was knocked unconscious.

No good bys ,no picking up the scattered pieces and no burial...he was blasted back some distance and hit with mine shrapnel
and bits of anatomy from his own dog... found himself on a dust-off to Kandahar Airfield hospital for reconstructive.

if you have a good dog and its had a good long life, a dignified end with proper closure, you have done well.
© 24hourcampfire