Campfire Ranger
A
Let the vet do it. Like going to sleep.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mostly have used a 22, over the years - quick.
Last one, I didn't want to suffer the 40 mile ride to the ranch (he had gangrene, and HATED riding in a vehicle) - so I called my vet buddy.
He came to the house, helped us love on the dog (they liked each other a LOT), and put him down.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Let the vet do it. Like going to sleep.

Definitely take your dog to the vet. I have put down three Brittanies and I hold them and comfort them as the vet injects the serum. They just fell asleep in my arms, and I wept like a baby. I leave the corpse with the vet to dispose of. I keep the collar and tags. Very sad for sure.

IMO . . . Putting a dog down in this manner is a responsibility for the owner, and an act of love for the dog.

[Linked Image]

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is the one I had to put down. This was when she was in her prime, which is the way I prefer to remember her. Her name was Sheba.

[Linked Image]

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Family friend from high school is a DVM. She has came by the house and did a couple over the years...for free.

We got people...for just about anything.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was afraid someone would post the Rainbow Bridge. I can’t even read the darn thing without getting tears.

I sure hope that’s what heaven is like....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have had to put down 2 of our "late life kids" in the last 4 years. Our Vet does it for no charge for long time patients and we stay with them during the process and she (the Vet) arranges for cremation pick up. It is a hard decision to make, but if you know they are hurting, it is the right trail to take.

[Linked Image]
MILLIE 2000-2018 Lab/Spaniel mix

[Linked Image]
PETE 2002-2015 Lab/Border Collie mix

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I don't have a problem putting almost any suffering animal down myself, but a dog or house pet is different. The last dog was Gypsy, a 90 lb Malamute who stole our hearts when she adopted us. She was about a year old when she came into our lives. She had a good 12 years with us, and was diagnosed with cancer in her sinuses. We treated it as long as we could, but one Sunday night she started having seizures about an hour apart. I called the night number for Vets, and we managed to get her to one at 1AM. My wife and I held her until the end, which went very peacefully. Next morning I went to the Vet's office, brought her home and buried her under her favorite shade tree. Damn, I can barely see to type now.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
While I hate the subject of these threads I do like seeing men that are caring and compassionate and these threads always bring that out. A bunch of hard hearted, tough sons of bitches that turn to mush when talking about such a sad situation.

Like I’ve said before, you can live your life without a good dog but it ain’t much of a life to live. We’ll never be without a dog for as long as we live and most likely they’ll all be labs from here on out. Our 2 labs are the best, most loving and faithful dogs I’ve ever had the pleasure of “owning”. Our young German shorthair is a sweetheart but he’s also at the major pain in the ass stage of his life.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Morewood
I imagine just about everybody here has had to put down a beloved pet at one point in their life.

How did you do it? The time is fast approaching to where I have to make that decision and it tortures my soul.

No way is easy. Just make them as happy and comfortable as you can right up to the last.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Morewood, call your vet or ask around for a mobile vet service. Your buddy can be comfortable in a familiar place at home and you can be too. It's really very peaceful when it happens. Mobile vet here charges ~$150. Last time I did this my vet friend (who my dog knew and loved) took care of it here for free. I personally don't like the idea of taking my ailing dog to a vet office and then home again after the deed is done.

One of the other members mentioned digging the hole in advance. Absolutely agree. Won't be easy but it will get you ready.

Wishing you the best. It's a tough day

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have done it st the vet and had the vet come here. I’ve got an eltern right now and won’t haul him to the vet when it’s time. I don’t think I could do it myself. I’m afraid I’d botch the job.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just an old broken down dog
is what I've come to be.
My senses are all growing dim,
My eyes can barely see.

But master, you're still in your prime,
while I am fading fast,
Please take me with you one more time
Before I breathe my last.

You used to take me with you
To the woods when I was young,
To do your bidding faithfully
In my youth when I was strong.

My best's no longer good enough,
I'm useless and confused:
For surely you must care for me
as much as I for you.

I'll be waiting by the back door,
Take me with you when you go.
It's all I've ever wanted
and the only thing I know.

I'll struggle up and wag my tail,
Eager your will to do;
And gladly endure a painful walk
Just to be with with you.

Take me with you when you go.
One more time I long to be
with my master and my friend.
Take me with you once again.

Poem by Dana Duke

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had to do a few old bird dogs. It hurts!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's never easy...... Our last one got put to sleep by our vet. She liked the vet and felt comfortable around him. My son was also there with us and I was cradling her head in my arms as she drifted off. She got cremated and I've got the ashes. Thinking about cremation for myself when the time comes and her ashes can wind up wherever mine do.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DAMN! Good luck to You getting through this difficult task, an old neighbor guy called me over to shoot his old dog, said he couldn't afford the vet fee, I did NOT shoot his dog, had him and his old wife say their goodbyes and took the dog to the vet myself, some chit even I wont do.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
This is the one I had to put down. This was when she was in her prime, which is the way I prefer to remember her. Her name was Sheba.

[Linked Image]

What kind of dog is that.I have one that looks very similar to that.It was a rescue dog

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had to do this too many times and it always hurts.I keep all their collars and ashes.They will be spread with mine when my time comes.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you have a vet that will come go the house and do it, it is the best way to do it. Costs a bit more but the dog is as comfortable as it could be and the dog fades off to sleep. Hope we don't have to do it again anytime soon, always hard.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have done it both ways. The sorrow and anquish are the same.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 33 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,827
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.