Home
Posted By: stxhunter weed killer - 05/10/19
mostly grass. do they make one that won't harm vegetables.
Posted By: hanco Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
I don’t think they make anything like that.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
figured, chit growing like wild fire in the garden. i been sick for over 2 weeks and with all the rain its getting out of hand, guess i'll just have to pull it out. maybe find a wetback for 20 dolla.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
figured, chit growing like wild fire in the garden. i been sick for over 2 weeks and with all the rain its getting out of hand, guess i'll just have to pull it out. maybe find a wetback for 20 dolla.

Sheet good luck with that. Fn wetbacks want $100 a day plus lunch.
Posted By: las Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Find one, ket me know. Damned scientists are slacking! smile

I just spent half a day completely digging out my grassed-in strawberry bed, rebuilding it, and replanting a portion of the plants after working as much grass out of the salvaged soil as I could. Made up the discarded turf with potting soil, mixed in.

No doubt I missed some, but I'll get those as they come up again. Berries needed it anyway- it has been 4-5 years since last thinning/replanting. Production was way down last summer.

FYI, Weed-B-Gone will kill most anything except grass as it is a broadleaf killer. That is - if used in recommended dilute form. If it is the undiluted concentrate, you can forget the grass too. (Whoops! smile ). Almost as lethal as Roundup.

I use WBG on lawn dandilions. As they bloom, they get sprayed, and the blossoms picked and put in a trash bag so they don't go to seed anyway. Repeat every few days, as needed. By the end of summer the dandilions are gone.

Repeat next year. Bastids come back from wind-blown seed.

But you probabky knew all this.

Posted By: Beoceorl Re: weed killer - 05/10/19

I've had good luck with Hi Yield Grass Killer . I use it in our flower beds and around blueberries. You can get it through Amazon, Wal-Mart, and some retail nurseries.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
We used to use one called “Select” on soybeans to kill the grass. Pretty sure it was restricted use and don’t know how it would play well with other garden plants.
Posted By: slumlord Re: weed killer - 05/10/19

I've used devrinol around strawberries.

I dont know what you have planted.

You could still use gly4, however i would not spray it. I would take a mop handle and tie a rag ball on the end and very carefully go around and 'daub' target weeds with it. Dont do it within a forecasted same day rain.

And dont mix it stronger than the label

Also you could mix some dawn dishwashing liquid in with the dip to give it a little more surfactant.
Posted By: las Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Good info!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Roger, with the high humidity and dew in the morning, any herbicide you put on the grass will get transferred to the plants you don't want to kill.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
We use this on our peas to help keep the grass out. Doesn't kill all the weeds, but sure does help.

https://www.domyown.com/hiyield-grass-killer-postemergence-herbicide-p-2516.html
Posted By: bkraft Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
In another life I used to work for a soil scientist from K-State at the Fort Hays Station, handled a lot of chemicals some had no trade names at the time. My advice to you is pull em then apply a pre-emergent such as Preen. The mop or wick application might work, but in a high humidity region like yours most veggies are susceptible to the vapors or fumes. I know this because I killed some peppers I had planted when I walked through them after work one day and the residual on my jeans burnt the crap out of them. Sorry man but I'd pull em.
Posted By: Higginez Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Poast

Clethodim 2e

There are several.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Back before Roundup Ready cotton, they used MSMA to kill Johnson grass in cotton fields. Ought to work killing grass in vegetables.

“ ought to “ is the key phrase.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Sethoxidim. It comes under a number different brand names so just search online for it. It won't harm any broadleaf plants. It's fairly expensive. 8 oz will cost something like $25-30 but it doesn't take very much. Don't let it freeze or it's gone.
Higbean mentioned Poast. Same thing. That's probably the most popular brand name but I've never seen it in small quantities.
i think i'll get the old lady and 3-4 others out there and we'll just hit a few rows each....... lmao already know what she'll tell me.
Posted By: wmmoorejr Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Clethodim is what we use at the camp if we are just trying to kill the grass and leave any broadleafs
Posted By: T_O_M Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
I have a space where I want to kill everything ... leave bare dirt. It's got grass .. probably some sort of fescue from the look of it, plus blackberries, "burr clover" (buttercup), dandelion, and other. Any suggestions? My first thought is to spray it twice, first with roundup, then come back later with crossbow for the blackberries. It's adjacent to a hay field so I'm thinking about waiting 'til late summer after the hay has been bailed and hauled off and irrigation is done. Are there other spray options that'd be more effective?
Posted By: devnull Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Poast: https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/poast-herbicide-2-5-gallons-183

i have corn.
Posted By: rost495 Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a space where I want to kill everything ... leave bare dirt. It's got grass .. probably some sort of fescue from the look of it, plus blackberries, "burr clover" (buttercup), dandelion, and other. Any suggestions? My first thought is to spray it twice, first with roundup, then come back later with crossbow for the blackberries. It's adjacent to a hay field so I'm thinking about waiting 'til late summer after the hay has been bailed and hauled off and irrigation is done. Are there other spray options that'd be more effective?

mix some 24D with 245T. LOL. for years we sprayed out fence lines with that. And it killed everything. Very well.
Posted By: wmmoorejr Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by T_O_M

mix some 24D with 245T. LOL. for years we sprayed out fence lines with that. And it killed everything. Very well.

For a complete burn down we use a mix of 24D and Glyphosate. I think it works out to 2.5oz of each per gallon of water. (Using the 41% concentrate gly)
Posted By: JamesJr Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
There's a lot of herbicides that are designed to kill grass and weeds in crops such as soybeans and corn......and I don't mean the Roundup ready beans or corn. The problem is that none of them are made in the quart or gallon sizes that someone would need for a home garden. Poast, if they still make it, will kill the snot out of grass in soybeans, and I used it years ago in the garden to kill foxtail and Johnson grass.

2-4-D can be used to kill broadleaf weeds in certain crops, sweet corn and green beans being two of them. I've used it at a low rate. As others have noted, Roundup (glysophate) is good as long as you don't spray the crops, although there is a Roundup Ready variety of swwet corn.

For those interested in knowing more, go visit your county agent for agriculture, as most counties have one. Or, go visit a farm store that sells a out if chemicals. I had such a store once give me some jugs of a certain chemical, in which a small amount was still in them, and I sprayed some very hard to kill potato bugs.
Posted By: Heeler Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Back before Roundup Ready cotton, they used MSMA to kill Johnson grass in cotton fields. Ought to work killing grass in vegetables.

They quit making MSMA a few years ago.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: weed killer - 05/10/19
^^ 2,4-D in any Phaseolus beans is a recipe for disaster. Poast or Select work well on grasses in broadleafs. I use it in my asparagus patch after harvest is complete. I’ve had better luck with Select (Clethodim) killing volunteer grains in my new alfalfa fields than with Poast.
Posted By: Quick_Karl Re: weed killer - 05/11/19

And then complain about the border or how much welfare they use...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Guy I know used to put glyphosate in a mop bucket and drag the mop between the rows.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl

And then complain about the border or how much welfare they use...

guess your not smart enough to figure out when something is said tongue in cheek.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
I some Scott's weed and feed. My number of dandelions about tripled now. I got to find something else.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Reminds me of the story Gramps used to tell about his neighbor giving a little arsenic to his dog to worm it and a handful mixed in some bait to rid himself of a troublesome feral boar. His dog died right away and the hog disappeared for several weeks and when he finally showed back up he had lost all of his hair!
Posted By: dan_oz Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
You could get yourself a hoe. Much easier than getting down on your knees to pull the weeds out.
Posted By: rost495 Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
I usually destroy to much with a hoe trying to get the roots out, if its wet, the stem and roots usually pull out easy and less overall issues, in the pasture we chop big headed thistles and then hit the roots with roundup to make sure its dead.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
got one but would like to get the roots if i can.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You could get yourself a hoe. Much easier than getting down on your knees to pull the weeds out.

This⬆️.

Or, you could trade your War Department in on a Chinese woman. Hell on weeds, and enthusiastic gardeners. I just finished the last of the tilling today and woke up from my nap to find mine planting pepper plants in the rain!

Life is good.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: weed killer - 05/11/19

i have corn.
sethoxidim (Poast) isn't good for corn but it works around almost all the rest.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Rose bud and a propane tank get everything except right around the plant. Pull those by hand. Plus you can stand on two feet AND drink a beer while you do it and not give yourself cancer spraying chemicals on [bleep] you're about to eat
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by curdog4570

They quit making MSMA a few years ago.

Nope, they still make it. Target 6, got 2.5 gal in the garage.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Veggies are difficult and no one herbicide works for all veggies. A good pre-emerge would help a lot. Atrazine + Dual Magnum would keep your corn clean if put down pre. Accent would take out grasses in corn if they were small when you applied it.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: weed killer - 05/11/19

I suppose laying strips of heavy plastic to control the weeds between rows ain’t doable?
Posted By: okie Re: weed killer - 05/11/19

What kind of grass Roger? If Bermuda it takes double the normal application of Glyphosate to kill it. Are the rows wide enough to till?
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I've got one too, but for the life of me I can't get her to pull weeds!
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
grin
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Perfect opportunity to teach Wyatt a lesson or three. Show him how to use a tool (a trowel, or a hand fork) and show him how the weeding needs to be done, and explain why. Make him understand that you can grow some things that are good to eat at home that are better, and cheaper. Make him understand that doing things the right way, even if tedious, is part of the process that results in success. Explain to him that doing work is a noble thing and what men do to be able to have things they want. Explain to him that him doing man chores will make him stronger and will make his grandpa proud. Finally, explain to him that as a reward for good work--as in, a section of totally grass and weed free bed-- you will buy him an ice cream of his choice. In a couple years you might add that his staying in and doing well in school will prevent him from having to do shyt jobs for low pay as he gets older. Win-win-win.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by BeanMan
^^ 2,4-D in any Phaseolus beans is a recipe for disaster. Poast or Select work well on grasses in broadleafs. I use it in my asparagus patch after harvest is complete. I’ve had better luck with Select (Clethodim) killing volunteer grains in my new alfalfa fields than with Poast.

I have sprayed 2-4-D at a very low rate on green beans, that had become infested with weeds after several weeks of rain, where I was unable to get in the garden and till. There was some leaf burn, as was expected, but the weeds were burnt back enough that the beans were able to pretty much shade them out. It was a one time thing, and it worked then.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I suppose laying strips of heavy plastic to control the weeds between rows ain’t doable?

I buy a woven plastic fabric, that is 3 foot wide, and lay it between my bean rows after I till them for the last time. It works very well in keeping weeds down, and allowing the water to still soak in. I've also used it on my tomatoes, and a few other things. Most stores sell it, although the type they sell will usually only last for a year or two at the most. I buy mine in 300 foot rolls from a farm supply store, and it will last for years.
Posted By: KMS Re: weed killer - 05/11/19

i have corn.

LOL! that reminds me....

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: weed killer - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I buy a woven plastic fabric, that is 3 foot wide, and lay it between my bean rows after I till them for the last time. It works very well in keeping weeds down, and allowing the water to still soak in. I've also used it on my tomatoes, and a few other things. Most stores sell it, although the type they sell will usually only last for a year or two at the most. I buy mine in 300 foot rolls from a farm supply store, and it will last for years.

Been using that for years for the 'maters, except I cut Xs in it and plant them in the holes after folding back the flaps. This year, the China Doll wanted to skip that and try it plain. Her show after the tilling is done and my seedlings grown, so we'll see how it goes.

We've been eating a bunch of greens and radishes, plus asparagus for a while now, berries and cherries due pretty soon.
© 24hourcampfire