Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You could get yourself a hoe. Much easier than getting down on your knees to pull the weeds out.

I've got one too, but for the life of me I can't get her to pull weeds!

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Perfect opportunity to teach Wyatt a lesson or three. Show him how to use a tool (a trowel, or a hand fork) and show him how the weeding needs to be done, and explain why. Make him understand that you can grow some things that are good to eat at home that are better, and cheaper. Make him understand that doing things the right way, even if tedious, is part of the process that results in success. Explain to him that doing work is a noble thing and what men do to be able to have things they want. Explain to him that him doing man chores will make him stronger and will make his grandpa proud. Finally, explain to him that as a reward for good work--as in, a section of totally grass and weed free bed-- you will buy him an ice cream of his choice. In a couple years you might add that his staying in and doing well in school will prevent him from having to do shyt jobs for low pay as he gets older. Win-win-win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
^^ 2,4-D in any Phaseolus beans is a recipe for disaster. Poast or Select work well on grasses in broadleafs. I use it in my asparagus patch after harvest is complete. I’ve had better luck with Select (Clethodim) killing volunteer grains in my new alfalfa fields than with Poast.

I have sprayed 2-4-D at a very low rate on green beans, that had become infested with weeds after several weeks of rain, where I was unable to get in the garden and till. There was some leaf burn, as was expected, but the weeds were burnt back enough that the beans were able to pretty much shade them out. It was a one time thing, and it worked then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by stxhunter
got one but would like to get the roots if i can.

I suppose laying strips of heavy plastic to control the weeds between rows ain’t doable?

I buy a woven plastic fabric, that is 3 foot wide, and lay it between my bean rows after I till them for the last time. It works very well in keeping weeds down, and allowing the water to still soak in. I've also used it on my tomatoes, and a few other things. Most stores sell it, although the type they sell will usually only last for a year or two at the most. I buy mine in 300 foot rolls from a farm supply store, and it will last for years.

IC B2

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i have corn.

LOL! that reminds me....

Kelly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
got one but would like to get the roots if i can.

I suppose laying strips of heavy plastic to control the weeds between rows ain’t doable?

I buy a woven plastic fabric, that is 3 foot wide, and lay it between my bean rows after I till them for the last time. It works very well in keeping weeds down, and allowing the water to still soak in. I've also used it on my tomatoes, and a few other things. Most stores sell it, although the type they sell will usually only last for a year or two at the most. I buy mine in 300 foot rolls from a farm supply store, and it will last for years.

Been using that for years for the 'maters, except I cut Xs in it and plant them in the holes after folding back the flaps. This year, the China Doll wanted to skip that and try it plain. Her show after the tilling is done and my seedlings grown, so we'll see how it goes.

We've been eating a bunch of greens and radishes, plus asparagus for a while now, berries and cherries due pretty soon.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (BABore, badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BDR1, 6 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.