Home
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
What is happening with the Campfire? Frequently now the site locks up and starts telling me to "refresh the page". Last night I was trying to send a PM to another member and was unable to enter a message. It got to the point where I finally gave up and shut my computer down. This has happened several times recently.

It seems since the recent changes were made that nothing works as well as it did previously. I hope someone can make some improvements since most days the site is becoming almost unusable.

Jim
Posted By: wink_man Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I haven't had any problem with it locking up, but I've noticed that if I used Microsoft Edge, I cannot respond to any forum messages, the cursor will NOT show up in the reply box. However, if I "quote" the post, the quote AND the cursor show up in the reply box and then I can actually reply. I don't have this problem if I use Firefox, so that's what I'm using.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Same here. It's getting real old.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
It's all the rain threads, stack overload.
Posted By: hanco Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Works fine for me.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Working well here
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
No problems.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Why is it when people have problems they automatically assume it's because the site has issues?
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Why is it when people have problems they automatically assume it's because the site has issues?

Because the site sucks. I love the information and people but the site itself is one of the worst forums on the web.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Probably because they aren't having them with all the other sites they are on. Simple logic kind of thing. I was having all kinds of issues on this site. Everyone said install ad blocker. So I did install it and my issues disappeared. But I installed it only because of the Fire. I am on many forums and never had any issues on any. The entertainment here is just too good to miss.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
No issues here but haven't been on much the last few days
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Because the site sucks. I love the information and people but the site itself is one of the worst forums on the web.

Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Probably because they aren't having them with all the other sites they are on. Simple logic kind of thing. I was having all kinds of issues on this site. Everyone said install ad blocker. So I did install it and my issues disappeared. But I installed it only because of the Fire. I am on many forums and never had any issues on any. The entertainment here is just too good to miss.

Amazing that others and I don't have problems with this site, isn't it? Guess we're the lucky ones.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Have you tried to configure a browser lately? Not to mention other defenses like anti-virus?.Easy for a non-techie to mess up. A good option is to revert to default settings which takes 2 or 3 clicks. Ask Google how. And there's always Malwarebytes (free edition) to clean up a system.

And then there are (not so) smart phones...
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Mine works fine During the day and the evening.

But...
... Late at night 1-3AM, On occasion, it will take forever to load or it will time out completely. Other sites and searches work fine during this time.

I doubt it is server overload at this time, so I'm guessing it is due to server maintenance.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
The more I'm exposed to Microsoft Edge, the less I like it. There are so many conflicts, with more coming each day as Microsoft tries to "upgrade" it, presumably in an attempt to fix it.

It reminds me of the problems with Microsoft "Vista", aka "Montana" that was such a disaster.

The IT department for the outfit I work for has instructed everyone to switch back to Explorer due to so many problems. So, for work, I use Explorer, for this computer, I use Firefox. That and AdBlock Ultimate seems to have prevented a lot of the issues others are having.

Ed
Posted By: poboy Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
The 'Fire was acting up, then it wasn't, now it is. Other forums are fine.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Amazing that others and I don't have problems with this site, isn't it? Guess we're the lucky ones.

Works fine for me, and I'm DUMBER THAN A BAG'O ROCKS.
Posted By: poboy Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I just cleaned out my "cookies" again. Seems to be o.k. now.
Originally Posted by steve4102
Mine works fine During the day and the evening.

But...
... Late at night 1-3AM, On occasion, it will take forever to load or it will time out completely.

Happens from time to time, seems to be a server issue. I can ping the server but get a html not responding message pointing the finger at 24hourcampfire.
Posted By: super T Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Some issues with it locking up, so far just a minor problem.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Because many times the problems are on this one site only.
It's not like this is something new.

A big part of the overall problem is there are more and more ways to access the site, and the various softwares don't always work well together.

I'm not currently having any issues, but there have been many times in the past when I did and others didn't.
Well, systems are dumbed down so bad so anybody can use it, but, thing is, chit is so simple to set up and get right you'd be dumb for not trying and getting it set up right. Recent PC purchase, OMG it took like 10 minutes to load Chrome, Adblock Plus, and DuckDuckGo and click on some setting. Edge Browser? YGTBFK?..
Guess I must be dumb as a rock. But then my system works the way I want it to, not the way some guy named Default wants it to. Like browsers, you couldn't pay me to use chrome spyware.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I've been running 24hr with no problems at all on Chrome with a couple ad blockers, Ublock Origin and Adblocker Genesis plus. I get no ads or popups. I was getting the up arrow at the top like many others but that's been resolved and it's now at the bottom. This is on my computer. On the phone with the same setup, I do get a few ads but nothing serious. I haven't seen the edge popup for several weeks. It appears for a day then one of the adblockers apparently compensates and it goes away.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
For those who might be interested to know this is the only site on which I have a problem. Everything else on my computer works fine. I'll be the first to admit that I lack knowledge about computers, however, I do get along fine every where else.

I enjoy the site but there are times I just shut it down through frustration.

Jim
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

The Ad Blocker sure worked for me. No issues with this site whatsoever.
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
For those who might be interested to know this is the only site on which I have a problem. Everything else on my computer works fine. I'll be the first to admit that I lack knowledge about computers, however, I do get along fine every where else.

I enjoy the site but there are times I just shut it down through frustration.

Jim

Nobody denies there is wonkiness here. Just the solution to work around it has been presented hundreds of times and works for literally thousands of us.

Chrome, once Adblock Plus and Duck Duck Go are loaded, it isn't tracking supposedly.. Nighthawk, do you think Microsoft Edge isn't? LOL

Screwit. This new PC I let Microsoft and Goggle have at it, all my chit appeared like magic.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
No problems here.
Posted By: jimy Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I now understand why they put flip caps on toothpaste, the screw on caps were way to complicated for some of you to use properly, being that you could turn the cap both ways, but only one of the two ways, actually tightened it !
Originally Posted by jimy
I now understand why they put flip caps on toothpaste, the screw on caps were way to complicated for some of you to use properly, being that you could turn the cap both ways, but only one of the two ways, actually tightened it !

What's toothpaste ya'll?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Nighthawk, do you think Microsoft Edge isn't? LOL

Dunno. I use Watefox, a light weight fork of Firefox. Open source, no telemetry. Rick has an ad service with annoying and malformed scripts. I block scripts, no problems.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
What is happening with the Campfire? Frequently now the site locks up and starts telling me to "refresh the page". Last night I was trying to send a PM to another member and was unable to enter a message. It got to the point where I finally gave up and shut my computer down. This has happened several times recently.

It seems since the recent changes were made that nothing works as well as it did previously. I hope someone can make some improvements since most days the site is becoming almost unusable.

Jim

In past years, I've had that here. Not in a while, though.
Posted By: pal Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
The new format has created problems for some of us, regardless of it working fine for others.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Weeeeeellll...

Maybe it's because only this site is bogged down, while everywhere else we try is fine. whistle wink

I've experienced some problems loading the site and navigating it recently, but I'm not going to gripe. It's still the best forum anywhere.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Nighthawk, do you think Microsoft Edge isn't? LOL

Dunno. I use Watefox, a light weight fork of Firefox. Open source, no telemetry. Rick has an ad service with annoying and malformed scripts. I block scripts, no problems.

I've tried Waterfox but even with a couple adblockers running, ads still get through. I haven't had that problem with Chrome.
Don't understand that. I've used Firefox and now Waterfox with AdBlocker Ultimate and no ads that I didn't allow. From anywhere.

I don't trust Google. Here is probably the mildest comment on why:

Google does not admit that it uses Chrome to spy on users, and since Chrome is built using a large amount of proprietary closed source code, there is no way to prove for certain that it does so. There are, however, some very compelling reasons to believe that it does…

Supposedly there are settings to turn this off but it comes default on. I don't know, liked Firefox until they started adding stuff I don't want. An update Firefox nag screen you can't turn off was the last straw.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19

Absolutely!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by moosemike

Absolutely!

I learnt my lesson with this site using my main computer to access the fire. I'll NOT be taking that chance again.

There is probably stuff that I could do on my end to alleviate some of the issues, but this old tablet I am using has to be re-set so often I just put up with all the short comings. Not being able to post pictures is a bitch.
I remember 8 years ago when I had a pop up! It sucked. Good luck guys.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I remember 8 years ago when I had a pop up! It sucked. Good luck guys.

The fact you've been lucky doesn't make the problems many others have had less real.
If it were truly as simple as you imply, the problems wouldn't exist at all.
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
I have been coming here for years and only 3 times has there been any delays. I do believe that some have problems and some don't. I have used linux, winxp, win 8.1, win 10 and all worked. Firefox with no script is run on all sites I visit. This one attempts to do the least interference. It could be your isp, your internet provider, and other junk that has filtered into your system. Deep tracking cookies from companies wanting to track you are a mess. Use CCleaner and malwarebytes and see what junk is hidden. I refuse to use any browser that microsoft has made. I use duckduck and not google for searching. I found chrome slower and hiding more tracking cookies by far than firefox. Vivaldi is a fast browser based on chromium.

As noted - some have problems and some don't. If it was the this forum we would all see those issues. Thus, my suggestion to look for what else is going on with your system and remove that. Good luck. I am not saying it is easy but it is possible.
Used to run NoScript with Firefox and it blocks everything. Too much, got to be a nuisance updating a white list so switched to AdBlocker Ultimate. Can only guess long distance but I think some people with ad issues may have malware installed and that gets around your defenses. Malwarebytes and/or empty your browser cache.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Its cause Dean Wormer aka Ricbin has put some users who dont pay their $ 5 monthly membership dues via Ach payment on double secret probation.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Firefox and Ublock.
In that case here's my advice to those with issues:

Posted By: pal Re: Messed up Forum - 10/24/19
Originally Posted by sierraHunter
...If it was the this forum we would all see those issues...

Pure BS.

The new format works well with some setups and not with others.
The ad package is handled differently around the country, IPs, etc etc etc... Install the right chit to make it work, or struggle and bitch... Simple choices we've done this before.
© 24hourcampfire